Start by marking “Complete Book of the Flower Fairies, The (Special Edition)” as Want to Read:
Complete Book of the Flower Fairies, The (Special Edition)

Complete Book of the Flower Fairies, The (Flower Fairies)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  817 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies has been beautifully transformed with luxurious finishes including a cloth cover with foil stamping, pearlized pink edged pages, a ribbon, and a gorgeous sturdy slipcase with foil stamping. This deluxe edition brings all of Barker's fairies together in one place just in time for the holidays!
Unknown Binding, 192 pages
Published October 14th 2010 by Warne (first published October 30th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Book of the Flower Fairies, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Book of the Flower Fairies, The

Tiffany
Oct 20, 2008 Tiffany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls who like or ever liked fairies
Shelves: poetry
I received a Flower Fairies calendar when I was young and saved all of the art from it, because I loved it so much. I was ecstatic when I found this book, which is a compilation of many smaller books that Cicely Barker created. Barker was a Victorian age artist and poet.

The book is separated into categories (of the original books)--Spring Flowers, Summer Flowers, etc. Each page features a particular flower with it's fairy, and a poem about the flower. Barker does a beautiful job with the detail
F.j.commelin
if alone for the wonderful illustrations
Joanna
Apr 24, 2008 Joanna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with imagination! (or little girls :)
Recommended to Joanna by: my older sister
Beautiful and breathtaking!!!the whole Flower Fairies series is thoroughly amazing from start to finish. The artist`s skill brings all her paintings to life, there is not one fairy that is not beautiful,unique,fascinating and completely delicious. Perfect for anyone with imagination and love of things that well,are not real.Every little girl that I know has completely fallen in love with it and its characters.And if you know (or have) a little girl who likes this sort of thing than it is a absol ...more
Desere
Originally this book was published as eight individual books, but now it can be enjoyed in a stunning complete collection that tells the tales of those magical beings found in our gardens, who have come to teach us all about flowers.

This book is the perfect book for when nighttime falls, and the time to escape calls. Perfect for some special bonding time between mun and daughter. Through the beautiful illustrations the author brings to life the magic of flowers and how each has their very own sp
Kathryn
Oh, this books is just lovely. I know I have seen her fairies in various places before i.e. notecards and such. This book has lovely poetry, which at times I struggle with since I am not that much into poetry, but the drawings, colorings, the feel of the book just makes you want more. I'd love to have this book on the coffee table.
Sariah
Aug 11, 2010 Sariah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a remote interest fairies and/or flowers
Shelves: want-to-own
This book is charming, so true to children. An important factor to it's charm is that CMB drew the picture and then wrote the poems, truly capturing the personality of it all. It was also very fun, because I took turns reading the poems with my neice, who sometimes put them to her own tunes. I want to own this book!
Denise
The illustrations in this book are absolutely beautiful!! The pictures alone have inspired my child's imagination with fairyland and she has created her own costumes in an attempt to emulate the fairy costumes in the book.
The poems are ok. After a while they start to blend together in memory.
Monique Snyman

It's not every day that Killer Aphrodite reviews picture books or children's books, but The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barkeris very special. This new edition, with a pretty new cover- published by Penguin Books South Africa - will make you nostalgic for your youth, and will remind you of all the beauty in the world without needing to step a foot outside. The beautiful artwork is accompanied by the original poetry by Barker, which not only tells you more about the fairy i

Arlette Sjerp
I love these little poems of little fairies in their little flower garments. Though I'm not really interested in gardening, I do like knowing that Cicely Mary Barker drew all of the plants botanically correct. It adds to the magic, in my view.
Chrystal
We have it and love the artwork!
Sara
What a beautiful book! I bought the deluxe hardcover of this to keep around the house. It contains eight of Cecily Mary Barker's early 20th-century drawings and poems about the flower fairies. There's a poem to accompany each flower fairy, often having to do with the characteristics of that fairy's flower. There's actually some real botanical information. I'm learning some new things about flowers by reading and re-reading this, especially flowers that aren't familiar to me or don't seem to live ...more
Matthew Hunter
Wait, did I really just enjoy a book about flower fairies? It all started with Sigourney's third birthday party. She wanted a fairy tea party, and my goodness did she get one. It was fun, and filled with scads of fairy dolls, action figures, and costumes. Sigourney's favorite gift was The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies.

It really is a beautiful book. Barker pairs her colorful drawings with poems about seasonal flowers. The book could be used as a botanical reference, with readers choosing a
Poiema
Gorgeous and imaginative artwork accompanied by little poems about fairies, each named for a different flower. One of my daughters was inspired to create little fairies out of tissue paper and craft supplies after being introduced to this book. It is one of those precious books that I'll hang on to for the next generation.
Nelle
I adored the flower fairies as a child, and have repurchased this so I can share it with my own daughter. A must have for any fairy living little girl or boy! Beautiful art and beautiful poetry.
Leesa Wilcox attebury
When my girls were little we poured over this book many times! Perfect for little imaginations. There is also a cd of songs that goes with this book that we loved as well!
Michaila
This was my childhood. I tried to memorize so many of these poems...I read them so many times and pored over the illustrations.
Bimbolera
The poems were fine but the art was superb. I love this book!
Róisín
Given I grew up in a house with the Cicely Mary Baker flower fairies framed on the wall and being on a birthday card every year, I was extremely excited when I was given this for my birthday. It was absolutely amazing: the illustrations are all lovely, the poems are nice and wee and the layout and order is neat and orderly! It itself is a really good book that everyone should at least have a gander at to appreciate the pictures within it! And jesus it is so pretty I am afraid to hold it
Becky
I'm usually not a big fan of poetry, but when it's coupled with whimsical paintings of flower fairies, I'm all in :) I've always loved Cicely May Barker's work, and it was fun to share this book with my daughter. My favorite fairies are the Primrose, Rose, Blackthorn, Candytuft, Lavender, and Lilac.
April
This is such a lovely book to use to introduce poetry to a toddler. We seem to engage much more with this than the Silverstein books.

We are using this in conjunction with the Wee Folk Art "homeschool" curriculum & I can't say enough positive things about this way to spend time with my 4 year old.
Angelyn
Beautiful illustrations. We decorated a room in flower fairies. I found a calendar and bought 12 by 12 frames and hung them up in the room. We did a mother daughter book club on this an made basket fairy gardens. Loved it! I also gave this book away for gifts.
Leslie
Had to borrow from library cos am having a little bother finding a reasonably priced copy. Will write review this week. Such a lovely, romantic, sweet and ridiculously charming book. Sigh, swoon, repeat with every turn of page. Really, yall, just darling.
Natoz!!!
this book is book tells you all about flower fairies in England. I recommend this to girls who like poems. Its written in poem form and if you are trying to get a book done before the year then this book is good. I really enjoyed this book!
Alissa
This book is excellent. I'd also recommend the musical cd of Flower Fairies. Both our daughter loved it. A lovely way to introduce children to herbs and flowers, making a foundation for the love of growing things.
Julia
Very pretty illustrations, and a good mix of both boy and girl fairies to describe the wide range of flowers out there in nature, make this a good pick for any poetry or flower enthusiast. Not great, but good.
Marjorie Brewer
This book has beautiful drawings and helps children learn the flowers.
Heather
Cicely Mary Barker's fairy drawings are absolutely beautiful, my favorites are the elderberry fairy, the rose hip fairy and the blackthorn fairy. Definitely a must for any little girl!
Rachel
Everything about this book appeals to me (and my girls): The lush artwork, the pretty poetry, the scientific quest to learn names of flowers & other plants.
Ruth
This is the sweetest collection of fairy poems. The illustrations are vintage-y and endearing. I just love looking through all of the pictures in this book!
Raha
One for the flower fairy editions has two little boy elves hiding and peeking through holly fox and black berries... They look just like Evan and Aidan.
  • Winter Story
  • The Winter Child
  • Cops and Robbers
  • Language of Flowers
  • Children of the Forest
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • Dwarfs (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Gift of the Sacred Dog
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • A Field Guide to Irish Fairies
  • Fairies and Elves (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Vanishing People: Fairy Lore and Legends
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
  • Pagoo
  • The Art of Amy Brown II
Cicely Mary Barker was the illustrator who created the famous Flower Fairies; those ethereal smiling children with butterfly wings. As a child she was influenced by the works of the illustrator Kate Greenaway, whom she assiduously copied in her formative years. Her principal influence, however, was the artwork of the Pre-Raphaelites.
More about Cicely Mary Barker...

Flower Fairies (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Flower Fairies of the Autumn
  • Flower Fairies of the Wayside
  • Flower Fairies Little Collection
  • Flower Fairies Magical Moonlight Feast
  • A Flower Fairies Postcard Book
Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal Flower Fairies of the Autumn How to Find Flower Fairies Flower Fairies of the Summer Flower Fairies of the Spring