Start by marking “Dying Breath” as Want to Read:
Dying Breath

Dying Breath (Psychic Killer #1)

A Seaside Retreat. . .

It's summer on the Jersey Shore. Children play on the beach. Husbands are off working in the city. And the surf echoes in the night. Here, in this perfect place, a serial killer has no worries in the world--except choosing the next victim. . .

Has Just Become. . .

Published May 1st 2008 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dying Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying Breath

Karen
Jan 02, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different mystery. Not the standard one where the detective is the protagonist. I live local to where it takes place so that was fun, but the one thing that annoyed me is that the characters and author kept on saying "Long Beach Island" all the time. When someone is really from here or at least a summer vacationer, they call it LBI or the Island. Silly, but it bothered me.
Vickyb
May 06, 2008 Vickyb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't often read this kind of book. If it gets too gross I may not finish it.
Caralyn Rubli
Story wasn't bad, but I hated the characters. They were very dull and flat
Afsana
Sep 07, 2009 Afsana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this

I read it again forgetting that i had read it before though the majority of the book came back to me as i was reading it but not the ending which is strange

Spoiler alert*****

What I was confused about was how he connected teh fact that it was charlie abel J was meeting when he got killed because all they had was the following till much later near the end:-

1) That the person to call abel just before he had to rush off was someone who died on the train (tenuos link that we kno
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"A SEASIDE RETREAT.......
It's summer on the Jersey Shore. Children play on the beach. Husbands are all working in the city & the surf echoes in the night. Here, in this perfect place, a serial has no worries in the world- except choosing the next victim.

HAS JUST BECOME.........
Cam Hastings has come to Long Beach Island with her teenage daughter and the hope that maybe she can save her failed marriage. Cam has never stopped loving her husband Mike nor has she been able to outrun her
Kristen
Dec 26, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 3-09, 2010
If you love good thrillers, you'll enjoy Wendy Corsi Staub's Dying Breath. This one is set in New Jersey and mainly at the New Jersey shore. Camden Hastings has developed psychic versions of missing teenagers, while she discovers her newfound pregnancy. She's struggles being a single mom to her teenage daughter and still love her estranged husband. She has dealt with the memories of an absent mother, a lost sister, and visits from her father. One by one, those visions come true, during that summ ...more
Barbara ★
Cam Hastings has visions of kidnapped children but doesn't get enough information to help with any investigations...until after the fact. When she has a vision of her own daughter, she is terrified and will do anything to prevent it happening. No matter what she does, over summer vacation, Tess is taken and the hunt is on.

Cam's character is sometimes aggravating and sometimes heartbreaking. The estrangement from her husband is her own fault for not opening up to him about her psychic abilities
Amy
Jan 12, 2016 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read about half of the book, there are several different characters telling bits and pieces (generally 2 or so pages), and after reading half and nothing really formulating and nothing happening I took the book back to the library. There are too many books to read ones that are meh.

Update: after reading so many reviews that said it started slow but ended well, I trudged through the end of this book. Boring beginning, the end is... eh.... It is painful how slowly it gets to the point, the endin
Natalie
Oct 21, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Staub's teen series, so I thought I'd pick up one of her adult books.

I was not disappointed, although the paranormal element in the story was definitely not the main focus. This is the story about Cam, who has a 15-year old daughter, a husband who may want a divorce, and the discovery she's pregnant again. She has a secret she's not shared with anyone--she has visions. Once she realizes the children she sees are real, she struggles to find details on how to find them and save th
Sarah Tilatitsky
Leann
Jun 04, 2016 Leann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, mystery
I love Wendy Corsi Staub. I'm not sure how many of her books I've read, but each one is great in its own way. this one, unlike most, starts off a little slow but stick with it you won't be disappointed . What I like most about WCS is that her books are not the typical journalist/detective drama, but follow ordinary ... ok so psychics aren't ordinary, but still. Bottom line I loved this story and highly recommend it, i read it in just a few hours
Kim
This was good book. About Cam Hastings and her teenage daughter who both went to Long Beach Island with the hopes of maybe being able to saved her failed marriage. Cam has never stopped loving her husband Mike or could she outrun their demons or his demons would be more like it. Since her mother has vanished and she has lost her sister the visions she has a missing child.
Chelsie
Oct 29, 2012 Chelsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
I felt this was a very good book, the only downfall that I had found was that the copy I had listed the second book to this as a different title and so it took me a while to figure out the real title of the second book. Otherwise I highly recommend this to those who are looking to read a good suspense book.
Jami
Oct 16, 2009 Jami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It feels like the author is trying to hard. There is too much complication in the plot trying to misdirect your attention and it is not subtle at all. *spoiler alert* I didn't figure out the villan right away but, I did figure out it was a woman. This book has no heart. It feels mass produced.
Aug 20, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Please shoot me if I ever become an overbearing mom. I am suffocated just reading about Cam's antics. The cliffhanger here is not, "who killed Ava?" It's obviously, "what happens with Tess and Heath? Does Cam ever stop cockblocking?" The author creates this teeny bopper relationship in the middle of the plot and then never returns. Gimme SOMETHING.
Ericka Scott
Mar 25, 2011 Ericka Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the plots of Ms. Staub's stories but darned if I don't have a terrible time getting immersed into the book because the story is told in present tense. Throws me out of the story until I wrestle my way in, usually about half-way through. Then...I'm hooked. Dying Breath was no different and I'm looking forward to reading Dying Light.
Dianna
Jun 13, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! Very intense. Very twisty. I managed to narrow the subjects, but wasn't really 100% sure who-dun-it right up to the point it was revealed in the story. Always love the ones I just can't figure out 3 chapters before the reveal.
Tori Clute
Apr 09, 2016 Tori Clute rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate it when I get emotional and tears come to my eyes when I read a book. Yet, ironically, that is the sign of a well written novel. If you want to be absorbed in what you read, you can't go wrong with anything written by Wendy Corsi Staub, in my personal opinion.
Stacy
Jun 24, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble putting this book down! Be warned; there are some disturbing elements.

If you like Laura Lippman or Mary Jane Clark's books, you will probably like this one. One of Staub's better mysteries.
Yolanda
May 28, 2010 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was a good fast paced summer read filled with lots of twists and turns . I really enjoyed it. It was the first book I have read by this author and I felt is was a good way to kick off summer reading.
Dana
Jun 02, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and it was a fast read. At first when I found out that one of the characters had visions I was not sure that I would enjoy it. But I gave it a chance and I did. However, I am a little disappointed that I have to wait until May 2009 for the sequal.
Kristin Danko
Dec 13, 2013 Kristin Danko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pregnant woman has psychic visions of adolescent girls being abducted. The person responsible is closer than she thinks, while she is vacationing for the summer with her teenage daughter on Long Beach Island, New Jersey...
Joyce
Jun 29, 2008 Joyce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A beach book can be cleansing once in awhile. This was OK, but I got tired of reading over and over about the main character's anxiety about every little detail of her life. Would have liked to learn a bit more about the serial killer's background since it wasn't who you might have expected.
Charlene
Nov 10, 2011 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense-drama
This was the first book by this author that I have ever read. I will definitely be reading more. It was interesting, intriguing and when the villian was revealed I was shocked! Good book!
Cheryl
May 21, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, right to the end. A little slow in the middle but picks up again right away.
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. I was stumped the whole time trying to figure out who it could be. I was wrong!! Wasn't expecting it to be the person it was!! Not a disappointing read at all.
Anne
Jul 17, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A pretty good read, but not as exciting as the sequel.
Shelly
Jun 12, 2013 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! There were so many people involved but nobody could tell a soul. Such a great book. I couldn't put this one down at all.
Jeanne Schalko fransway
Very good
  • Most Likely to Die
  • Last Seen Alive
  • The Screaming Room
  • Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1)
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • Cause for Alarm
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Left for Dead
  • Hanging Time (April Woo, #2)
  • Car Trouble
  • Flamingo Diner
  • Wired Kingdom (Tara Shores, #1)
  • Midnight Cab
  • Trace Evidence
Here's my Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/corsistaub

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/WendyCorsiStaub

New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub is the award-winning author of more than seventy-five published novels and has sold more than four million books worldwide. Under her own name, Wendy achieved New York Times bestselling status with her single title psychological sus
More about Wendy Corsi Staub...

Psychic Killer (2 books)