Start by marking “Seven Stories” as Want to Read:
Seven Stories

Seven Stories

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Walking With the Ghosts of Pier 13:
A grueling summer of horror is finally winding down, and Jeremy is one of the wandering survivors who can't come to grips with the acts of terror that have been ripping his nation apart. His destination today is Pier 13, the ocean front amusement park his family visited every summer when he was a child, and his purpose for coming here is
Published July 3rd 2010 by Cemetery Dance Publications (first published January 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Stories

Lou
May 26, 2012 Lou rated it it was amazing
This is collection of short stories have death and loss as the main driving force of the story. He has written these so well not one story lacks in excellence.
Stories that deliver with content that are Haunting, visceral, thought provoking and poignant.

Walking With the Ghosts of Pier 13
A thought provoking deep sense of feeling story. One brother visits a virtually abandoned amusement park, a Pier that has witnessed mass murderer and death including that of his brother.
This is a post 9/11 story,
Gef
Aug 09, 2012 Gef rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Seven Stories is a collection of just that: seven stories. All previously published, Brian James Freeman and Cemetery Dance offer up this relatively modest collection, and given how much I enjoyed his novella, The Painted Darkness, I didn't hesitate adding this to my Kindle.

While a couple of the stories are truly horrific on a visceral level, the majority of this collection follows a quieter path in scaring the reader. "Walking with the Ghosts of Pier 13" is a strong example of the latter, as a
Frank Errington
Feb 11, 2012 Frank Errington rated it really liked it
Brian is something of a rarity in today's Horror genre. A writer who doesn't beat you over the head with all the violent, gory details in his stories. Oh, the violence and gore is there, but it's left to your imagination. Kind of like the shower scene in Hitchcock's "Psycho". You may not see every stroke on the screen, but you certainly visualize it in your mind. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a place in Horror for the writer who put's it all on the page, but it's nice to see one with t ...more
Dave Thomas
Feb 11, 2012 Dave Thomas rated it really liked it
While just seven stories, I took a week to read this short collection. Why? Because each tale is so well-done, poignant, scary, touching, chilling, and moving that I had to let each one settle into my head, thinking about the themes, the characters, the situations, and tightly wound narratives. Each short tale is very different yet no less compelling than the last.

Some stories will leave you bewildered and baffled, others will frighten you, and still others will move you emotionally. You'll find
Caffers
Jan 27, 2016 Caffers rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
hmmm... there needs to be a 2 1/2 stars. I didn't hate it, but didn't really like it either. It was just kinda there. The stories were easy to read, but never really developed and left me wanting something more. Every single one of them. Strange.
If you want a GOOD book of short stories, read "How To Breathe Underwater" by Julie Orringer.
Ed
Feb 06, 2011 Ed rated it liked it
Nicely written handful of stories from Freeman, author of "The Painted Darkness" novella. This was my second exposure to Freeman's work (after TPD) and he's growing on me. Shorter works seem to be his strong suit, as this collection boasts a combination of vivid imagery and wonderful emotionally evocative moments. (While I enjoyed it, I felt that TPD lacked the depth its length would have allowed it.)

Good stuff. I'll be reading more of his work in the future.
L.e. Waters
Apr 16, 2012 L.e. Waters rated it it was amazing
What a pleasant read. I truly enjoyed each different short story and found it was so refreshing to dive into the next compelling story. Brian is a wonderful storyteller and knows the craft of short stories. It is hard to pic a favorite but I LOVED What They Left Behind.The suspense was fantastic and I gripped my kindle until the end! Off to buy his novella!
Matt
Feb 28, 2013 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A decent short story collection. The stories were all well written and weren't bad, but there really wasn't any that really got me involved (as much as a short story can) and none really stood out in my mind after reading them.
Brenda
Feb 27, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed. Enjoyed every story. If you are a horror fan, you should give this a shot. I'll be checking out more of his works.
Colleen
May 03, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book scared the crap out of me. In a good way.
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
David Henger
David Henger marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Bob Bacon
Bob Bacon marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
'Lana
'Lana marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Richard Dolan
Richard Dolan rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Ingrid Stephens
Ingrid Stephens rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Jan 30, 2016
Bob Bacon
Bob Bacon rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Bradley Pennell
Bradley Pennell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Vicki Liebowitz
Vicki Liebowitz rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Chet Williamson
Chet Williamson marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Brian James Freeman sold his first short story when he was fourteen years old and his first novel when he was twenty-four. His short stories, essays, novellas, and novels have been published by Warner Books, Leisure, Cemetery Dance, Borderlands Press, Book-of-the-Month Club, and many others. His newest book-length work of fiction is The Painted Darkness, which was published in December 2010 by Cem ...more
More about Brian James Freeman...