What Makes Us Tick?: The Ten Desires That Drive Us

What Makes Us Tick?: The Ten Desires That Drive Us

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  14 reviews
'vintage Mackay' Courier-Mail

'humanistic and balanced, encouraging and optimistic' Canberra Times

Insightful and engaging, What Makes Us Tick? helps to explain what drives us, concerns us and is important to each of us ? from Australia's leading social researcher, Hugh Mackay.

Dr Mackay has spent a lifetime listening to people talk about their dreams, fears, hopes, disappoi...more
352 pages
Published 2010 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about What Makes Us Tick?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Makes Us Tick?

Banafsheh Serov
Truth be told, I am a sucker for studies on social behaviours. Complex and insecure, we have a tendency to think of ourselves as the most important person in the world, with problems and desires that are uniquely our own. In What Makes Us Tick? Mackay reveals that as a whole, we share ten ‘social’ desires that motivate our behavior and are linked to our sense of identity, relationship with people and place in the society. Interestingly, Mackay also offers explanations as to the motivation behind...more
Ms Tlaskal
Very interesting to dip into and reflect that all of our impulses are ways of having these ten desires fulfilled. Some of the desires are obvious; such as the desire for love and belonging whilst others are more circumspect; the desire for something to happen. Each of the ten desires would be a great starting point for a short story.
Jacqui Allen
This book was a fascinating insight into the 10 desires that drive all human beings: to be taken seriously; for 'my place'; for something to believe in; to connect; to be useful; to belong; for more; for control; for something to happen; for love.

What I found most interesting was the fact that often when we are in conflict with ourselves or others this is a sign that some of these desires are being 'frustrated'. And, I could actually relate this to my own experiences.

I would definitely recomme...more
Ian Kloester
Every time I read Hugh's work i find an insightful voice. A voice full of reason, compassion and understanding of what it is to be human. Although drawn from observations that are arguably more anecdotal than empirical, Hugh's list of 'ten desires that make us tick' are as compelling and as convincing as anything I've read on the subject. Especially his assertion that our most important desire of all is...the desire to be taken seriously. Simple and easy to read, Hugh has found another reason fo...more
Paige Turner
Human behaviour is fascinating. Social researcher Hugh Mackay has selected 10 desires that motivate us. Each desire is expanded upon in an interesting way with observations and facts and figures presented to support his views. It is an engaging piece of writing... and Mackay cleverly weaves current topics of interest such as Australia’s population debate, economic growth, the environment, obesity, the placebo effect, etc. into his writing.
Zahraa
Very well written and a pleasure to read - Mackay addressed the desires thoroughly enough considering the relatively short length of the book. I wish there was just a bit more than just a "discussion" of the desires.
Jeremy Elias
Interesting read. It covers a lot of things that most already know. There are some intriguing parts to the book however there is plenty of fluff in between. Interesting concept, reasonable execution.
Greg Burt
Nov 22, 2013 Greg Burt marked it as to-read
This was a Christmas present.

I had looked at it at the library and I like Hugh Mackay, he writes a column in the weekend papers. Let's see how I go with this one.
Morag Gray
A once-over-lightly sweep on the emotional needs that we all have. Intersting, but not riveting or startlingly revealing.
Rebecca
This is extremely fascinating but easy to read, will be seeing about blogging on each Chapter. Lots of food for thought.
Gabrielle Trenbath
Loved it!!! it was like a mirror to the human race :)
Helen
Fantastic. Very thought provoking and recommended
Cheryl
I liked Hugh's writing style.
Cyn
The book layout lots of facts and knowledge, well written and very easy to read.

'We dressed war up in stirring, inspiring stories of heroism and sacrifice, but there's a nasty story we don't often tell: we go to war because that's one of the things we want more of - why else do we maintain the world's armies and arsenals? Our desire for war is bound up with patriotic greed, economic greed, religious greed, territorial greed, delusions of grandeur, paranoia, insecurity, cultural identity and val...more
Jonathon Woolfrey
Jonathon Woolfrey marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Rudasen Nayager
Rudasen Nayager marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Saophalkun
Saophalkun marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Peter Nisbet
Peter Nisbet marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Olive
Olive marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Matt Mccoy
Matt Mccoy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Nicole Cadelina
Nicole Cadelina marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Jesslyn Teo
Jesslyn Teo marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Hugh Mackay is a social researcher and novelist who has made a lifelong study of the attitudes and behaviour of Australians. He is the author of twelve books, including five bestsellers. The second edition of his latest non-fiction book, Advance Australia…Where? was published in September 2008, and his fifth novel, Ways of Escape was published in May 2009.

He is a fellow of the Australian Psycholog...more
More about Hugh Mackay...
The Good Life Advance Australia Where? Winter close Infidelity Reinventing Australia: The Mind And Mood Of Australia In The 90s