Start by marking “Windows(r) Internals” as Want to Read:
Windows(r) Internals

Windows(r) Internals

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  6 reviews
See how the core components of the Windows operating system work behind the scenes--guided by a team of internationally renowned internals experts. Fully updated for Windows Server(R) 2008 and Windows Vista(R), this classic guide delivers key architectural insights on system design, debugging, performance, and support--along with hands-on experiments to experience Windows ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Microsoft Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Windows(r) Internals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windows(r) Internals

Steve Schardein
The Bible of everything Windows, written by the god of everything Windows. This is a fantastic, exhaustive, detailed, and largely technical reference to the underlying mechanisms of Windows.
Jeff
This book is huge (i.e. heavy!) and one of the rare times that I can honestly say that it met and often exceeded my expectations for technical depth.

If you want to know *exactly* what happens when you call CreateProcess, it's in there. If you want to know step-by-step what happens when you see the "Starting Windows" process at boot time, it's in there. If you want to know the architecture of the core NT kernel and its subsystems (e.g. Memory Manager, Plug & Play subsystem, Hardware Abstracti
Jeremy Hurren
This is a good book, and although many people will probably think I am crazy for saying this, I wish it went into even more depth. As a systems programmer, I can use everything I can get my hands on.
Mohammad Elsheimy
Although, SysInternals Suite is a MUST-HAVE package for software experts, I didn't like the way they promote this package in the book.

Moreover, there're slight differences between 4th and 5th editions just few pages (compared to the whole book :P) describe those differences. Why reader must buy that 1232-pages book just to read those few pages?
Nick Black
Definitely the APitUE for NT. I'm so happy not to have needed to use closed source software this past decade.
---
need to read up on IOPC for my thesis. not very happy about it.
Nitin
Anyone working on windows must read this book to understand the internals of windows. Core concepts very well explained.
Dalibor Prka
Dalibor Prka is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2014
Suzanne Baudelaire
Suzanne Baudelaire is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Faheem
Faheem marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Andrew Harley
Andrew Harley marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Preetesh Bora
Preetesh Bora marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Gerardo Medina
Gerardo Medina marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Siddhartha Kattoju
Siddhartha Kattoju marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Rick Howard
Rick Howard marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • The Art of Multiprocessor Programming
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Programming Windows
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications
  • Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming
  • C# in Depth
  • CLR via C# (Pro-Developer)
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages
  • How Google Tests Software
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Russinovich is a Technical Fellow in Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud operating system group. Russinovich is a widely recognized expert in Windows operating system internals as well as operating system architecture and design.

Russinovich joined Microsoft when Microsoft acquired Winternals software, the company he cofounded in 1996 and where he worked as Chief Software Architect. He is also c
More about Mark Russinovich...
Zero Day (Jeff Aiken #1) Trojan Horse  (Jeff Aiken #2) Rogue Code  (Jeff Aiken #3) Operation Desolation: The Case of the Anonymous Bank Defacement Microsoft Windows Internals: Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 (Pro-Developer)