Start by marking “Windows(r) Internals” as Want to Read:
Windows(r) Internals

Windows(r) Internals

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  6 reviews
See how the core components of the Windows operating system work behind the scenes--guided by a team of internationally renowned internals experts. Fully updated for Windows Server(R) 2008 and Windows Vista(R), this classic guide delivers key architectural insights on system design, debugging, performance, and support--along with hands-on experiments to experience Windows ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Microsoft Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Windows(r) Internals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windows(r) Internals

Steve Schardein
The Bible of everything Windows, written by the god of everything Windows. This is a fantastic, exhaustive, detailed, and largely technical reference to the underlying mechanisms of Windows.
Jeff
This book is huge (i.e. heavy!) and one of the rare times that I can honestly say that it met and often exceeded my expectations for technical depth.

If you want to know *exactly* what happens when you call CreateProcess, it's in there. If you want to know step-by-step what happens when you see the "Starting Windows" process at boot time, it's in there. If you want to know the architecture of the core NT kernel and its subsystems (e.g. Memory Manager, Plug & Play subsystem, Hardware Abstracti
Jeremy Hurren
This is a good book, and although many people will probably think I am crazy for saying this, I wish it went into even more depth. As a systems programmer, I can use everything I can get my hands on.
Mohammad Elsheimy
Although, SysInternals Suite is a MUST-HAVE package for software experts, I didn't like the way they promote this package in the book.

Moreover, there're slight differences between 4th and 5th editions just few pages (compared to the whole book :P) describe those differences. Why reader must buy that 1232-pages book just to read those few pages?
Nick Black
Definitely the APitUE for NT. I'm so happy not to have needed to use closed source software this past decade.
---
need to read up on IOPC for my thesis. not very happy about it.
Nitin
Anyone working on windows must read this book to understand the internals of windows. Core concepts very well explained.
Franck
Franck added it
Apr 22, 2015
Chirag
Chirag added it
Apr 09, 2015
Mustafa
Mustafa marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Axel
Axel added it
Feb 15, 2015
Yasin
Yasin is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Ninja
Ninja added it
Feb 05, 2015
Walique
Walique marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Iamxfc
Iamxfc marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • The Art of Multiprocessor Programming
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications
  • Programming Windows
  • Windows Powershell in Action
  • Programming Language Pragmatics
  • Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
  • Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • File System Forensic Analysis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Russinovich is a Technical Fellow in Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud operating system group. Russinovich is a widely recognized expert in Windows operating system internals as well as operating system architecture and design.

Russinovich joined Microsoft when Microsoft acquired Winternals software, the company he cofounded in 1996 and where he worked as Chief Software Architect. He is also c
More about Mark Russinovich...
Zero Day (Jeff Aiken #1) Trojan Horse  (Jeff Aiken #2) Rogue Code  (Jeff Aiken #3) Operation Desolation: The Case of the Anonymous Bank Defacement Microsoft Windows Internals: Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 (Pro-Developer)