Godlike Machines

Godlike Machines

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Sentient. Intelligent. Extraordinary.

An SFBC Original Event.

In science fiction, nothing says sensawunda like a Big Dumb Object--a colossal, extremely powerful machine of unknown purpose and origin. It's that feeling that editor Jonathan Strahan was after when he asked six of today's finest authors to write for Godlike Machines. And they succeed brilliantly!

• Alastair Reyno...more
Published 2010 by Science Fiction Book Club

To ask other readers questions about Godlike Machines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godlike Machines

Tudor Ciocarlie
I wish we'd have more novella length stories. Its the the perfect length for a SF story.
Praveen N. Jayasuriya
Had this urge to read a science fiction story involving a mega machine type galactic intelligence :D This fit the bill perfectly! read the first story. Love it. Will post a full review when done.
Mouldy Squid
A above average collection most notable for the the Egan, the Reynolds and the Reed.

Sean Williams' "A Glimpse of the Marvelous Structure [and the Threat it Entails]" is interesting but not particularly entertaining. Doctorow shows his penchant for fantastic ideas and also his weakness in crafting an actual story or breaking beyond his typical boy-meets-girl-boy-loses-girl-boy-gets-girl-again-boy-is-betrayed-by-girl motif. His ideas are intriguing but they cannot do all of the work. Baxter some...more
Brian Steele
What a brilliant theme for an anthology of novellas! As Strahan explains in the introduction, this was all inspired by a book cover he had seen in his youth, and years later sought to expand that particular concept into something special. While the idea of "The Big Dumb Machine" is nothing new to Science Fiction, the drastically different takes presented here really allow our imagination to explore the idea.

I especially liked how Strahan set this up as a handful of novellas instead of what could...more
Sean Conner
An excellent series of short stories, incredibly interesting and varied -- I still think about them.
Karina
I'm not a fan of short story format, and it usually takes me much longer to read a collection of short stories than a novel of the same length. However I was rather pleasantly surprised by this particular collection of stories, and it didn't take me a long time to read them.
Andrea
What a wonderful collection ! I particularly enjoyed Alistair Reynold's beautifully crafted contribution, which left me with a lasting sense of sadness. BDO's have had a special part of my heart since I read "Rama" for the first time as a young adult.
Rob
A great collection of short stories of science fiction. Authors of the stories in order of enjoyment:

1. Alastair Reynolds
2. Greg Egan
3. Robert Reed
4. Cory Doctorow
5. Stephen Baxter
6. Sean Williams
John Maxwell
Enjoyable collection of variations on a theme. Powerful machines that challenge the concepts of meaning, power, and change. May have to reread a few in order to make sure I really understand them. Good work.
Scott
Simply the best collection of novellas I've ever read. The least of these stories is outstanding; the best are masterpieces. An absolute must-read for any fan of hard SF.
Jenny
May 25, 2013 Jenny added it
Shelves: abandoned
ohhhh that's why I don't read sci-fi. I liked the premise behind the anthology, but my brain just isn't geared to enjoy this.
Bradley Farless
This was a really awesome collection of short stories. Each one was very thought provoking and exciting!
Ray Charbonneau
Only finished half the stories, and those for the most part weren't that interesting.
Al Billings
A pretty good short story collection including a very good story by Cory Doctorow.
Ryan
Quality varied quite a bit, but it was certainly enjoyable.
Leo8
Some of the stories were delicious, some were just good.
Aramis
This is the type of scifi that I like.
Jan Heczko
Jan Heczko is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Russel Wunderlich
Russel Wunderlich marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Owen Telschow
Owen Telschow marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Brentt
Brentt is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Boris
Boris marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Egor
Egor added it
Jun 21, 2014
Razielivaldi
Razielivaldi is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows Engineering Infinity Edge of Infinity Wings of Fire