American Sign Language Concise Dictionary

American Sign Language Concise Dictionary

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Introducing the first revised edition to the original and most extensive pocket-size American Sign Language dictionary ever published. Included are more than 2,500 of the most widely used words, phrases and idioms in the language, with easy-to-follow illustrations of the hand, arm and facial movements that express each one.

Completely updated and modernized, this monumental

Paperback, Revised Edition, 768 pages
Published December 28th 1994 by HarperCollins (first published July 1990)

Tamra
I asked my dad to buy me an ASL dictionary, back in the day. He asked which one, and I told him I didn't know. He bought this one.

The signs the book has are fine, and they're explained and illustrated well enough. But it doesn't have enough signs. "Concise" is an understatement. It doesn't include words like "mountain" or even "dictionary." ... A dictionary that doesn't include the word "dictionary."

I'm looking for a new ASL dictionary. Once I have a new one, this one will be donated.
Tantra Bensko
Some of the words are hard for me to make out how to create, but that's probably inevitable, as all the books I've read about ASL are like that. Sometimes, you just need a video. But otherwise, this is an excellent book, very thorough, with pictures that have unique individuals making the signs, when they could have done generic people.
Molly
It's a dictionary, so there's not much that can be said about it as a review. [return]The layout is acceptable and considering I'm most likely using it to verify my own knowledge, I can't really call it out on any errors.
Primadonna
Got this book from a good buddy. I memorized the alphabet and some gestures. It's an interesting language.
Jessica
I love this dictionary. I am currently using it for when I forget signs. Too long since I used it.
Alyssa
I'd wish for a bigger book if I were learning, but this is a nice size for taking around.
Dillon Christensen
Dillon Christensen marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sarah Higgs
Sarah Higgs marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Claudia Chong
Claudia Chong marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Mrs. Davidson
Mrs. Davidson marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Tubamamma
Tubamamma marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Sandie Sharp
Sandie Sharp marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Virgilio Ravino
Virgilio Ravino marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Leah Gatto
Leah Gatto marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Cmlynner
Cmlynner is currently reading it
May 12, 2013
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Kristy Green
Kristy Green marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Julie Reynolds
Julie Reynolds marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Sarah Pastorius
Sarah Pastorius marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
American Sign Language Dictionary-Flexi American Sign Language Dictionary American Sign Language Dictionary Unabridged AMERICAN SIGN LANGUA Essential ASL: The Fun, Fast, and Simple Way to Learn American Sign Language