Start by marking “Skin Deep” as Want to Read:
Skin Deep

Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  17 reviews
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The six Simeon Grist private-eye novels by 2011 Edgar and Macavity Award nominee Timothy Hallinan have become cult favorites and are now available fot the first time since the 1990s. For a fee so big he can't turn it down, Grist is hired to watchdog the kind of guy he'd usually prefer to throw through the nearest window. Toby Vane is the golden boy of pr
Published (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Skin Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin Deep

Spuddie
Simeon Grist is a private investigator in Hollywood, and one day while consuming beverages at a local tavern has the unfortunate experience of meeting Toby Vane, famous TV personality--although Simeon doesn't know at the time who he is. He starts knocking his date about in the pub, and Simeon intervenes--and quick as you can blink, he ends up hired by the star's manager with a job babysitting Toby and keeping him out of trouble. Not an easy task by anyone's estimation! And when the brutally murd ...more
Tony
SKIN DEEP. (1991). Timothy Hallinan. ***.
I’ve read books by Hallinan from his other sets of main characters, but this is the first one from his Simeon Grist series that I’ve tackled. Simeon is a private investigator, usually down on his luck because he’s down on his number of clients. When he is approached by the producer of a hit TV series to look after the star, he is amazed at how much money can quickly his way. There is a catch, however. The star of the show, Toby Vane, is a woman basher. Th
Doreen
Was actually pleasantly surprised by this! Picked it up for free way back when I started using the Kindle app and never got around to reading it, so didn't really expect much when I cracked it open. The beginning didn't really do anything to dispel doubt, but once Simeon gets hired by the producers, the book really gets going. It's intelligent, raw LA gumshoe noir, with a good mystery at its core and a heartbreaking coda.

Personally, I was a bit leery of the fact that Simeon seems to have a bit o
Cathy Cole
When you love two series that an author has written and you discover that he's written a third, you're going to go out of your way to find the books in that unsampled series. That's what I did when I found out that favorite author Timothy Hallinan had written the Simeon Grist series well before I fell in love with his others featuring Poke Rafferty and Junior Bender.

What I found in Skin Deep was a beginning effort by someone who was trying to make his writing fit into the standard P.I. format. S
Thomas
Feb 25, 2015 Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Thomas by: Amazon
Shelves: us-private-eye
Seamy underside of Hollywood

I gave this ebook four out of five stars. Simeon Grist is a private eye hired to keep a sick film star out of trouble. Toby Vane likes to beat up women. But then a woman is brutally murdered and Simeon must find out if Toby did it. This is a funny/sad book. Funny parts include Simeon's housekeeping and computer skills.
I purchased this book during a 24 hour sale at Amazon for free in May 2012
Pamela
Although published and listed as third in the Simeon Grist series, this is the first written by Hallinan. Unfortunately, it shows. The characters are either poorly drawn or over the top. The plot moves forward in jerks and starts. The dialog isn't up to Hallinan's usual quality. All in all, it's not a terrible first book, but because the publisher released it as the third in the series, it's a huge disappointment.
LJ
SKIN DEEP - Good
Hallinan, Timothy - 3rd in series

Los Angeles private detective Simeon Grist, seen before in The Four Last Things , stumbles through the smoke-and-mirrors world of television production in his third case. After stopping popular TV series star Toby Vane from beating up his date, Nana, in a bar, Grist is hired by Vane's producer to keep an eye on the actor until the syndication deal for the series goes through. Grist learns that Vane has a history of beating and mutilating women, a
Carol Jean
Yikes! A really nasty one, but intriguing and engaging nonetheless. I love Hallinan's descriptions -- a lovely mixture of humor and nastiness!
Kevin
Grist

Someone Grist is hired to babysit a TV star and keep him out of trouble. He succeeded nicely! Great novel!!
Carolyn J. Rose
Much as I like Junior Bender and Poke Rafferty from Tim Hallinan's other series, I found it difficult to connect with Simeon in this mystery. Hallinan did a great job of making me hate the actor Simeon is hired to keep out of trouble, and there are terrific descriptions of the seamy club, the nude dancers, and the greasy owner, but during the first half of the book I kept hoping Simeon would just walk away from the whole mess.
Lora
Good mystery set in Hollywood about a spoiled and perverse TV actor whose TV 'managers' hire the book's main character, a PI, as his minder to keep him out of the papers (for doing stupid stuff) for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, several exotic dancers he is acquainted with turn up dead; he is alibied, but just barely, by another dancer. Good, suspenseful writing. Wonder if he's written anything else.
Sam Reaves
A down-at-heels private eye (is there any other kind?) takes a job baby-sitting a TV heartthrob who likes to hit women. Keep him out of trouble till the syndication rights sell and everybody makes out like a bandit. If only bandits were all our hero had to worry about on his little tour of the Hollywood gutters... SoCal decadence from a top-shelf writer.
Neeka
I enjoyed this book... with that being said - not really a favorite of mine. I enjoyed this more then the second in the series... but as the author did say - this was his first book and I started the series completely out of order with the last one first. I did enjoy it though, but I wouldn't read this book over again.
Ekaser
This may have been his first novel (even if it was published AFTER his second and third novels), but it sure doesn't read like it! A great story and great characters, both the good-guys and the bad-guys. A page turner and characters you love, what more can you ask for. This book is a steal at $2.99!
Joan
goofy, not serious like his thai series. but occasional fun
Pam
Sep 03, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: california, mystery
09/02/08 purchase at library book sale room
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Paul Motsuk
Paul Motsuk marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Chris Roeszler
Chris Roeszler marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jay Johnson
Jay Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lowcountry Bribe
  • Dead Is the New Black (Fashion Avenue Mysteries, #1)
  • Toxicity (Georgia Davis, #3)
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Cedardale Court
  • A Dead Red Cadillac (A Dead Red, #1)
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • Project Moses (Enzo Lee Mystery, #1)
  • Zoned for Murder
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • As the Crow Dies
  • The Death Contingency (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #1)
  • Con Test: Double Life
  • A Stranger's Touch
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Every Precious Thing (Logan Harper, #2)
  • Blood Money
I'm a thriller and mystery novelist who divides his time between Los Angeles and Southeast Asia, primarily Thailand, where I've has lived off and on for more than twenty years. As of now, I've had sixteen books published by major imprints.

My newest, FOR THE DEAD (November 2014), is the sixth in a series of Bangkok thrillers about an American travel writer named Poke Rafferty and his small interrac
More about Timothy Hallinan...

Simeon Grist Mystery (6 books)
  • The Four Last Things (Simeon Grist Mystery, #1)
  • Everything But the Squeal (Simeon Grist Mystery, #2)
  • Incinerator (Simeon Grist Mystery, #4)
  • A Man With No Time (Simeon Grist Mystery, #5)
  • The Bone Polisher (Simeon Grist Mystery, #6)
Crashed (Junior Bender, #1) A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1) Little Elvises (Junior Bender, #2) The Queen of Patpong (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #4) The Fame Thief (Junior Bender, #3)

“I heard what I'd learned against my will to identify as new age music. Aimless and spacey, it meandered from unresolved keyboard chord to unresolved keyboard chord with some somnolent noodling in place of melody. Drooling pianos, music to sleepwalk by.” 1 likes