Final Target (Wind Dancer, #4)

Final Target (Wind Dancer #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,896 ratings  ·  96 reviews
The President’s daughter...
The women determined to save her...
The man with the power to betray a nation...

Melissa Riley arrives at her sister’s isolated Virginia country home to find herself plunged into a deadly drama. There the renowned Dr. Jessica Riley is attempting to draw the daughter of the President of the United States out of a severe catatonic trauma. The last th...more
Published February 26th 2002 by Bantam (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Final Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Target

Aaron
I was kind of let down by this one.

And, don't get me wrong, I realize that Iris Johansen novels are brain candy. They're not intended to be mind-blowing literature. But this one just didn't seem to be as well put together as other offerings from her.

Things I Liked: the character of Sean Galen. If Sean Galen has his own series, I will read them all. If he does not have his own series, then Iris Johansen needs to write one, because I promise that I will read them all. I also enjoyed the plotting:...more
Xan
I basically very much enjoy Johansen's books, but the more of them I read, the more annoyed I find myself with her characters and writing style. I enjoyed the storyline, as I do with most of her stories, but as usual, I found the characters very immature and self-defeating. I feel more like I might be reading dialog for teenagers, not adults. It tends to make the characters a bit unlikeable, and the heroines in her stories rather weak and dependent upon the men to take care of them or save the d...more
krin
This book was a good thriller, but could have been better. I liked the character interaction, especially between Cassie and Melissa in the "tunnel" and between Travis and both Melissa and Jessica Riley. I didn't like that it took the author a long time to explain what Travis was involved in and why various people were after him.
Joy
thadine
This book started off with potential. The president's seven year old daughter becomes catatonic. In comes Jessica, a doctor who specialises in treating this sort of PTSD. Then along comes her sister Melissa and it's all downhill from there. Melissa is an idiot. She spends all her time stressing out, and complains that Jessica won't believe or understand her. Well, that might be because she never explains herself to her, she just tries to manipulate Jessica into doing what she wants by getting al...more
Kshydog
Liked the concept of "mind talking" between Cassie the president's daughter and the doctor Riley's sister Milissa. Interesting for a little while the romantic thinkings between the 2 Riley sisters and Travis - a bit surprised at how that turned out. Glad this was more of a mystery and not about sex. Although there was often a change of view it helped with trying to understand all the villain characters and what they were trying to do. Easy to read as a stand alone but makes me wonder which chara...more
Monica Happy Reading All!!
Final Target is an egaging book of suspense thriller. Iris Johansen does a superb job in creating a story of unique problems and gifts for the characters that just keep you wanting more.

Final Target is about a child that survives a robbery turned murder. Cassie is a seven year old girl who runs to the safety of the Wind Dancer when she is attacked and almost killed by a robber. Cassie becomes a comotose girl living in her dreams/nightmares.

Jessica is the doctor who is trying to get Cassie to com...more
Partha Nandi
For Me...It is a m,ust read...Iris Johansen know how to put up a critical psychological thriller into black and white....Starting from That Kidnapping attempt...upto the Final showdown at the mansion...The story never lost its tempo....Wonderful Creation....I loved it...
Debby B
This was my first time reading Iris Johansen. I really liked this book. It sucked you into the story from the first chapter. You'll just want to keep reading and reading. I would recommend this book to someone who has never read her before. I will definatly be looking into more of her books.
John Mills
I understand this is over a decade old now but it was not one of her best in spite of the love for the concept she expresses in her end notes. Interesting story nonetheless and a decent read.
Edward Beavers
The Best of the Wind Dancers

this was by far the best of the Wind Dancer books from beginning to end in the telling of the story and keeping the reader interested.
Philip
Jun 08, 2012 Philip rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pulp
This is one of those paperbacks on the shelf of my local laundromat, and it's perfect for that - it moves along well enough that it effectively kills time during the spin cycle, it's not so absorbing that I mind putting it away when the wash is done, and the plot's good enough that I remember where I was the next time I come in. The action is pretty good, the characters not so much - I actually cared more about the supporting cast than the protagonists. One weird thing, from the style of writing...more
Debby
7 year old Cassie Andreas, daughter of the president, goes into a catatonic state of nightmares after she survives an attack in France. She's taken to Dr. Jessica Riley who brought her sister Melissa out of a similar state. Progress is very slow until Melissa and international information peddler Michael Travis get involved. From there it's a bloody race to get the killer/kidnapper before he gets them. There were some real surprise twists in this. One of the main characters gets killed off mid-w...more
Tamara
Aug 15, 2011 Tamara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I have read several books by Iris Johansen and I have liked them, the Final Target however is not one that I would put on the top of my list. The story goes in and out and at times I had a hard time following it. The characters to me were completely unrelateable and at times too wordy. There were several instances where I came close to putting the book down but the one thing that did intrigue me was the relationship between Cassie and Melissa, who shared a telepathic connection. Outside of that...more
Sherri Liptrot lund
Loved this book! Iris Johansen is one of my favorite authors.
Kaye
First Iris Johnson novel. Thought I was reading a stand alone novel but turns out was one in a series. Felt complete. The president's daughter is in a coma like state after an attack to steal a priceless artifact. A doctor and her sister who has a psychic conection teams with the man who rescued her from the attack to try and get her to recover. Someone still wants the artifact. Throw in some artificial diamonds and multiple villains. Fairly easy read, and with some surprising twists and turns....more
Karen Brown
Okay book, not great. Story not compelling
Judith
I did enjoy this novel but I was a little let down. As a very big Iris Johansen fan, I was excited to get this book. I was satisfied because, true to form, she kept me turning pages. However, in comparison to her other novels, we barely scratch the surface with these characters. I hardly knew anything about anyone in the book when they were thrown together in this plot, and the psychic bond between Melissa and Cassie develops. I would have a appreciated a little more background on the characters...more
Nel Langley
May we have some more, please?
joyce lynn
oh my gosh, talk about keeping you in suspense, and NOT being able to put a book down!!! not sure it's my favorite of this series of her's, but ...

sure has me wishing that she'd written more books to this series!!! oh well ...

guess i'll just have to settle for reading some of her other books to see if she's as good at holding onto her readers as she was w/ these?!

if you love mystery, w/ just a dash of romance thrown in, and don't mind a little "naughtiness", then ...

Iris Johansen is your girl!!!
Melissa
This book was OK. Nothing fantastic. About a psychologist taking care of the President's daughter after an incident that left her in a catatonic state. The doctor has a sister that was in a similar situation, and her psychologist sister brought her out of it. Ever since then, she has had psychic dreams or connections with people that have been through the same traumatic experiences. There is an underlying "love" story with a handsome diamond thief. Overall, pretty predictable, boring at times.
Rhonda Caston
As stated previously, I have collected all of Iris Johansen's thriller books. Just a few of the historical romances. And this book I just finished...and it took me forever. There was just too much going on. A comatose girl, a woman who was psychic, a man who was playing way too many angles with the government, smugglers, and the woman. It was way too busy.

In the end, it was okay. Just had to get through it to get on to the next book she published.
Gwen
I. Johansen tells a story about a young girl trapped in her mind after a terrible tragedy. Cassie is the 7-year old daughter of the President of the United States. After 4 doctors, Cassie is transfered to a safe facility under the care of Dr. Jessica Riley, who years before helped get her own sister out of a coma. The story takes a twist as Michael Travis is introduced. Travis rescued Cassie during a botched attempt on what? But can you trust him?
Dick
Aug 09, 2008 Dick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kim
Shelves: fiction
Picked this one up from the book shelf before my recent business trip (I will never catch up with the books my wife reads - she's way too fast). This book caught my attention and held it from the very beginning. This was a fast read, even for me. An action/mystery that partially occurs within the minds of two characters and complicated by the action, schemes and intrique happening in the real world involving the President's daughter.
Jaime
This was good, but not exactly what I was expecting. I listened to it in the car (and later discovered that I had the hardcover!), and I didn’t particularly like the female reader. I guess I just prefer male readers! Anyhoo, it was a pretty good story if you can suspend belief when it comes to the psychic stuff. I generally liked the interaction between Melissa and Michael, and a death about halfway through the book surprised me.
Stacy
A great mystery to read. I like how the author develops the new characters and weaves the plot with characters that have been established previously in this series. I've only read a few of this series, and not in order, yet they seem to stand alone without reading them chronologically. The best part was that I actually had a 'No Way!' reaction when I found out who the bad guy was . . . that - I liked!
Liz Gibbs
This was an awesome book about two women that are trying to help a child that is trapped in her own mind, and a man that might be their only hope for getting her to come back. I would have rated this book as a 5 star because I could hardly put it down, but I was highly irritated by the use of God, Jesus, and Christ in her sentences. I will never understand why people do that!
Rebecca
Disliked immensely. I don't have real high standards for mysteries-I'm just look for a fun read but this one just didn't work for me. The plot was weak and there were so many things that were so completely implausible that I just couldn't get into it. The characters were extremely stilted and wooden and the dialog was painful.

Easy read-yes, fun-no.
Rhonda
This is the first book I've read by this author. I really enjoyed it. It was unpredictable with several little quirky incidents. I didn't realize she was considered a Romance author. If so, this book certainly isn't what I would consider a Romance. I liked the characters, found the plot really novel, and will read more of her work!
Larryjc
i read ugly duckling and loved it. but i didn't really enjoy this. the hero's background of being a survivor was hinted throughout but in actual battle, he isn't as good as i thought he would be. and the romance between mel and mike was too sudden. the death of jes got too me though and this book piqued my interest in comatose states.
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)
  • Most Likely to Die
  • Moving Target (Rarities Unlimited, #1)
  • A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4)
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)
  • Darker Than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
Johansen began writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great success. She had seventeen consecutive New York Times b...more
More about Iris Johansen...
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)