Start by marking “Second Sight” as Want to Read:
Second Sight

Second Sight

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  299 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
As Dr Orloff tells you her own story, she will teach you how to recognise psychic experiences in everyday life, awaken your own clairvoyance with mind-empowering exercises, & use meditation, dream interpretation & prayer to broaden your possibilities.
Paperback
Published May 1st 1997 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sight

Mike
Feb 18, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: metaphysics
Judith Orloff really bares her soul in this book, she doesn't hold back anything, and confides her innermost thoughts, feelings, challenges, successes, and failures with humility and unflinching honesty. Her writing is amazingly honest, well thought out, deeply personal, and touching. It's very easy to trust her and completely open up to the book, sharing in her successes and failures, and taking her suggestions very seriously. Her struggle to integrate her intuitive abilities with the "real wor ...more
Synolve
I interviewed Dr. Orloff in April 2010 shortly after the release of Second Sight for The Infinite Field Magazine & Infinite Field TV. One of the most beautiful gifts that I received from reading this book was my new openness which I now refer to as "Welcoming Intuition". For most of my life, I have run from the intuitive whispers inside listening only when I was in a crisis or desperately needed a miracle. While listening to Dr. Orloff as I interviewed her and while reading Second Sight, I e ...more
Jeff Maziarek
Jun 26, 2010 Jeff Maziarek rated it it was amazing
In this wonderful book Dr. Orloff tells a fascinating, insightful, and forthright tale of her life as a very gifted intuitive. Her willingness to bare her soul regarding her experiences growing up with intuitive abilities is admirable, and the quality of the writing is nothing less than exceptional. As I read the book I honestly got the sense at times that she was sitting across from me in my own living room talking to me as an old friend would. The many stories she relates about how she's been ...more
Diana
Mar 24, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a practicing Psychiatrist and Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at UCLA, Dr. Judith Orloff has complemented her scientific training and abilities with her intuitive abilities to successfully treat her patients. She gives them a level of care that is needed in this complex world where people are under extreme pressure from the constant barrage of negative news and unreasonable societal expectations. This book encourages all to develop their intuitive abilities through meditation and p ...more
Elizabeth Olson
Mar 20, 2010 Elizabeth Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Orloff's story of her journey to understand, master, and integrate her intuition with her psychiatric practice is engaging. The second half of the book, with suggestions for courting, improving and nurturing intuition through mediation and other spiritual practices, is full of ideas anyone can use to develop a more active connection to deeper, other-knowing parts of themselves.
Anna
Sep 09, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it
Very believable, well-written, and thought-provoking. I read it for the last class I ever took at UofMich called "The Psychology of Spirituality," which was very little psychology and lots of spirituality. The professor, Richard Mann, was a wise older gentleman and the reading list for that class, including this book, was phenomenal.
rachael HELPS!
In all I really enjoy this book. I must say I prefer the second half of the book where she writes about connecting to your own intuitive nature and giving tips etc.. I found it funny how she when into every details of how people dress. I really don't care. But in all it a very good book.
Devika Koppikar
Dec 21, 2013 Devika Koppikar rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the book. However, I skimmed through the first part where she talks about her own experience. Perhaps I was in the mood for strategies, instead of her longwinded story. I most especially liked the part about asking your intuition about dreams (ch. 8) the best.
Diane Dreher
Aug 31, 2010 Diane Dreher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diane by: ddreher@scu.edu
This book combines the best of contemporary memoir with insight and inspiration. I read it in 3 days--it was hard to put down. Showing us all how to cultivate our intuitive gifts, Second Sight opened my eyes to new possibilities in my life.
Anne Marie
Jul 07, 2010 Anne Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting to me because it is about how to recognize and trust your intuition. Always a topic I've been interested in learning about and developing.
Websterdavid3
Dec 22, 2012 Websterdavid3 rated it really liked it
"Pay attention to your intuition, it will save someone's life."

that's it! and a lot of stories, done well as stories.

Tami
Oct 14, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing
This book gave voice to things in me that I'd never heard anyone talk about so I found it VERY validating.
Chelsea
Mar 09, 2008 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Judith's fascinating story helps to recognize and honor your own intuitive experiences.
Zhanna
May 07, 2009 Zhanna rated it it was amazing
My favorite ! it is the only book that i was reading more than once.
ConnieK
Feb 06, 2008 ConnieK rated it it was amazing
Learning to follow your intuition
Glenda
Mar 25, 2010 Glenda rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book.
Kelly
Apr 21, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS BOOK.
Synolve Craft

Natacha Pavlov
I found the book at random in a clearance rack at the bookstore. Interestingly enough, a week later I listened to a radio interview of the author. It wasn’t until later that I realized the book and the podcast featured the same author! Since the author had made an impression during the radio interview, I was excited to start on the book. It was very engrossing; highlighting the intimate story of her life and experiences reconciling the material and subconscious realms.
It’s amazing that she was
Amy Praphantanathorn
Jan 05, 2016 Amy Praphantanathorn rated it it was amazing
I felt optimistic that I could develop my own intuition, as someone who experiences it mildly and only sporadically.
I really enjoyed reading about Dr. Orloff's life, how it unfolded for her from childhood to her accomplished life as a successful psychiatrist. Her stories are very interesting and makes the book a fast, compelling read.
Kari Olfert
Feb 10, 2016 Kari Olfert rated it it was amazing
Loved Second Sight! What I loved most is that the author is both a psychiatrist and a psychic, which is an extremely tricky balancing act because most psychic phenomena is considered a mental disorder in her field. Very useful tips for developing your intuition. Highly recommended.
Sue
Feb 03, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sue by: Dr. Beverly Bigbee
What an impressive read. I was recommended this book by my chiropractor in Honolulu. Very well done and I didn't know this book is a staple that many people have. It's famous!
Kristina Woods
Aug 25, 2013 Kristina Woods rated it it was amazing
I was energized and warmed by this book! A troubled girl makes her way through medical school and then back to herself as a medium. After years of struggle and study, she finds her true path as a healer working to help people find their own healing and their own answers and connections.

Orloff also offers guidance and encouragement in readers finding their own meditation practice, use of intuition and dreams to answer their own questions and satisfy their own longings, and losses.
Judy
Oct 18, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Couldn't put it down. Orloff tells her story which is unique and very different from anything I've previously read. But she is sensible, intuitive and persuasive so much so that I am now reading another of her books.

If you have ever had "hunches", intuitive insights or any other way to phrase it, then you will find Orloff's suggestions helpful. Is there anyone, who if honest, wouldn't admit to having inutitive inisghts or "hunches" at some point in their life?
Angelica
Nov 27, 2014 Angelica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gracias por hacer que no me sienta un bicho raro al buscar las respuestas en mis sueños :)
Laelia
Feb 01, 2014 Laelia rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the autobiographical portion which is the first part of the book but not the ending as much.
Ruth
Apr 30, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it
It was sent to me by the author. Good gathering of her reflections growing up with an intense sense of intuition. It is a gift some people have naturally. Very quick read.
Laurie Stevens
Apr 03, 2013 Laurie Stevens rated it liked it
Very interesting to meld the clinical world with the metaphysical world. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. Good book to be introduced to the 6th sense within us.
Linda
Nov 03, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
I believe her. The book needed more stories and a little less
repetition about how hard it was for her to feel at ease with
her psychic powers.
Richenda
Oct 25, 2010 Richenda rated it it was ok
I liked the second half where she writes about connecting to your own intuitive nature more than the autobiographical first half.
  • Kosmic Consciousness
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
  • Spirited: Connect to the Guides All Around You
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
  • Gospel According to Jesus
  • The Healing of  America
  • Edgar Cayce on Atlantis
  • Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism
  • Francis of Assisi: A Revolutionary Life
  • Remote Viewing Secrets: The Handbook for Developing and Extending Your Psychic Abilities
  • Power of the Witch
  • One River, Many Wells: Wisdom Springing from Global Faiths
  • Head First: The Biology of Hope and the Healing Power of the Human Spirit
  • Why We Are Born: Remembering Our Purpose through the Akashic Records
  • Will and Spirit
  • The Gift: Understand and Develop Your Psychic Abilities
  • Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief: Guided Practices for Reclaiming Your Body and Your Life
Judith Orloff MD is the author of the New York Times bestseller Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself From Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life and SECOND SIGHT: An Intuitive Psychiatrist Tells Her Extraordinary Story and Shows You How To Tap Your Own Inner Wisdom. Dr. Orloff synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with intuition and energy medicine. An UCLA Psychiatrist, she believes t ...more
More about Judith Orloff...

“Sometimes violence cannot be stopped no matter what we do. But the more peaceful we are, the better chance we have of bringing out the peace in those around us.” 3 likes