Start by marking “Second Sight” as Want to Read:
Second Sight

Second Sight

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  30 reviews
As Dr Orloff tells you her own story, she will teach you how to recognise psychic experiences in everyday life, awaken your own clairvoyance with mind-empowering exercises, & use meditation, dream interpretation & prayer to broaden your possibilities.
Paperback
Published May 1st 1997 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sight

Synolve
I interviewed Dr. Orloff in April 2010 shortly after the release of Second Sight for The Infinite Field Magazine & Infinite Field TV. One of the most beautiful gifts that I received from reading this book was my new openness which I now refer to as "Welcoming Intuition". For most of my life, I have run from the intuitive whispers inside listening only when I was in a crisis or desperately needed a miracle. While listening to Dr. Orloff as I interviewed her and while reading Second Sight, I e ...more
Mike
Judith Orloff really bares her soul in this book, she doesn't hold back anything, and confides her innermost thoughts, feelings, challenges, successes, and failures with humility and unflinching honesty. Her writing is amazingly honest, well thought out, deeply personal, and touching. It's very easy to trust her and completely open up to the book, sharing in her successes and failures, and taking her suggestions very seriously. Her struggle to integrate her intuitive abilities with the "real wor ...more
Jeff Maziarek
In this wonderful book Dr. Orloff tells a fascinating, insightful, and forthright tale of her life as a very gifted intuitive. Her willingness to bare her soul regarding her experiences growing up with intuitive abilities is admirable, and the quality of the writing is nothing less than exceptional. As I read the book I honestly got the sense at times that she was sitting across from me in my own living room talking to me as an old friend would. The many stories she relates about how she's been ...more
Diana
As a practicing Psychiatrist and Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at UCLA, Dr. Judith Orloff has complemented her scientific training and abilities with her intuitive abilities to successfully treat her patients. She gives them a level of care that is needed in this complex world where people are under extreme pressure from the constant barrage of negative news and unreasonable societal expectations. This book encourages all to develop their intuitive abilities through meditation and p ...more
Elizabeth Olson
Orloff's story of her journey to understand, master, and integrate her intuition with her psychiatric practice is engaging. The second half of the book, with suggestions for courting, improving and nurturing intuition through mediation and other spiritual practices, is full of ideas anyone can use to develop a more active connection to deeper, other-knowing parts of themselves.
Anna
Very believable, well-written, and thought-provoking. I read it for the last class I ever took at UofMich called "The Psychology of Spirituality," which was very little psychology and lots of spirituality. The professor, Richard Mann, was a wise older gentleman and the reading list for that class, including this book, was phenomenal.
rachael HELPS!
In all I really enjoy this book. I must say I prefer the second half of the book where she writes about connecting to your own intuitive nature and giving tips etc.. I found it funny how she when into every details of how people dress. I really don't care. But in all it a very good book.
Devika Koppikar
Overall, I enjoyed the book. However, I skimmed through the first part where she talks about her own experience. Perhaps I was in the mood for strategies, instead of her longwinded story. I most especially liked the part about asking your intuition about dreams (ch. 8) the best.
Diane Dreher
Aug 31, 2010 Diane Dreher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diane by: ddreher@scu.edu
This book combines the best of contemporary memoir with insight and inspiration. I read it in 3 days--it was hard to put down. Showing us all how to cultivate our intuitive gifts, Second Sight opened my eyes to new possibilities in my life.
Anne Marie
This book is interesting to me because it is about how to recognize and trust your intuition. Always a topic I've been interested in learning about and developing.
Websterdavid3
"Pay attention to your intuition, it will save someone's life."

that's it! and a lot of stories, done well as stories.

Tami
This book gave voice to things in me that I'd never heard anyone talk about so I found it VERY validating.
Chelsea
Judith's fascinating story helps to recognize and honor your own intuitive experiences.
Zhanna
My favorite ! it is the only book that i was reading more than once.
ConnieK
Learning to follow your intuition
Glenda
I highly recommend this book.
Kelly
I LOVED THIS BOOK.
Synolve Craft

Na†acha P
I found the book at random in a clearance rack at the bookstore. Interestingly enough, a week later I listened to a radio interview of the author. It wasn’t until later that I realized the book and the podcast featured the same author! Since the author had made an impression during the radio interview, I was excited to start on the book. It was very engrossing; highlighting the intimate story of her life and experiences reconciling the material and subconscious realms.
It’s amazing that she was
Sue
Feb 03, 2014 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sue by: Dr. Beverly Bigbee
What an impressive read. I was recommended this book by my chiropractor in Honolulu. Very well done and I didn't know this book is a staple that many people have. It's famous!
Kristina Woods
I was energized and warmed by this book! A troubled girl makes her way through medical school and then back to herself as a medium. After years of struggle and study, she finds her true path as a healer working to help people find their own healing and their own answers and connections.

Orloff also offers guidance and encouragement in readers finding their own meditation practice, use of intuition and dreams to answer their own questions and satisfy their own longings, and losses.
Judy
This was a great read. Couldn't put it down. Orloff tells her story which is unique and very different from anything I've previously read. But she is sensible, intuitive and persuasive so much so that I am now reading another of her books.

If you have ever had "hunches", intuitive insights or any other way to phrase it, then you will find Orloff's suggestions helpful. Is there anyone, who if honest, wouldn't admit to having inutitive inisghts or "hunches" at some point in their life?
Angelica
Gracias por hacer que no me sienta un bicho raro al buscar las respuestas en mis sueños :)
Laelia
I enjoyed the autobiographical portion which is the first part of the book but not the ending as much.
Ruth
It was sent to me by the author. Good gathering of her reflections growing up with an intense sense of intuition. It is a gift some people have naturally. Very quick read.
Laurie Stevens
Very interesting to meld the clinical world with the metaphysical world. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. Good book to be introduced to the 6th sense within us.
Linda
I believe her. The book needed more stories and a little less
repetition about how hard it was for her to feel at ease with
her psychic powers.
Richenda
I liked the second half where she writes about connecting to your own intuitive nature more than the autobiographical first half.
Jacinthe Jaci

Ugh....long slug....did not finish.
  • Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
  • Power of the Witch
  • Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System
  • The Healing of  America
  • Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future
  • Vampire Transgression (Vampires, #3)
  • One River, Many Wells: Wisdom Springing from Global Faiths
  • Gratefulness, The Heart Of Prayer: An Approach To Life In Fullness
  • Dancing the Dream: The Seven Sacred Paths Of Human Transformation
Judith Orloff MD is the author of the New York Times bestseller Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself From Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life and SECOND SIGHT: An Intuitive Psychiatrist Tells Her Extraordinary Story and Shows You How To Tap Your Own Inner Wisdom. Dr. Orloff synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with intuition and energy medicine. An UCLA Psychiatrist, she believes t ...more
More about Judith Orloff...
Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love The Ecstasy of Surrender: 12 Surprising Ways Letting Go Can Empower Your Life Dr. Judith Orloff's Guide to Intuitive Healing: 5 Steps to Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Wellness Emotional Freedom Practices: How To Transform Difficult Emotions Into Positive Energy

“Sometimes violence cannot be stopped no matter what we do. But the more peaceful we are, the better chance we have of bringing out the peace in those around us.” 3 likes