Start by marking “Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office” as Want to Read:
Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office

Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  64 reviews
"I'm not a businessman-I'm a business, man."
--Jay-Z

Some people think Jay-Z is just another rapper. Others see him as just another celebrity/mega-star. The reality is, no matter what you think Jay-Z is, he first and foremost a business. And as much as Martha Stewart or Oprah, he has turned himself into a lifestyle.

You can wake up to the local radio station playing Jay-Z'
Published March 17th 2011 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published March 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Empire State of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire State of Mind

When You're Gone by Avril LavignePieces by John von DalerEmpire State of Mind by Zack O'Malley GreenburgLike It or Leave It by Hannah AndronicBlinded by the Sun by Adam Salomon
Music's Books
3rd out of 14 books — 8 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerSteve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerA Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Nonfiction pageturners
111th out of 147 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Amar Pai
I found this book quite fascinating. Greenburg writes a monthly column on rappers and their finances for forbes.com. (I love that Forbes has someone covering the "rap/finance" beat.) Among other things, he puts together a yearly list of the wealthiest rappers in the game, by overall net worth. This year, Puffy came in at #1 ($475 mil). But close behind was Jay-Z, who came in #2 with $470 mil. To repeat: $470 mil!!! Empire State of Mind is the story of how that came to be.

The most remarkable thin
Tanja
Empire State of Mind is a ‘business biography’ of Jay-Z. It explores how Jay-Z’s mind works, so I was disappointed to read that Jay-Z refused to be interviewed for the book. But the reason for that is actually really obvious: there was nothing in it for him. The book describes many of Jay-Z’s business ventures (the ones that were successful and the ones that failed), and makes it quite clear that Jay-Z doesn't bother with anything that he can’t profit from.

The author’s primary source of informat
Sheldon
I enjoyed this book even though Jay-Z didn't actually contribute to it. I've read some reviews and think a lot of what you get out of this book is based on what you come in expecting. If you are looking for a Jay-Z biography... this will disappoint you. If you are looking for a telling of some of the more key events in his life from a business perspective and a bit of insight into how he deals with people and ventures, you'll find it interesting.

I think the author talks to some people who provid
Blanca
Great companion to Jay-Z's book, Decoded. People have sometimes unfairly pointed out that the book doesn't delve into a criticism of the musical career of his subject, but it is a breakthrough because it provides a business perspective to hip hop culture, which hasn't been documented before.

Entertainment journalism previously focused on being a straight feature, but O'Malley Greenburg crosses over elements of business journalism with the appeal of feature writing for an interesting study of a co
Adam Ford
Interesting very short read about Shawn Carter, who rose from the Brooklyn public housing projects to become worth over a half a billion dollars today. This money seems more important to Mr. Carter than the fame he enjoys as the rapper Jay-Z. The music is fun and sure the rush of the crowd is great, but Mr. Carter is all about business.

And this is his business philosophy: Focus on whatever venture offers the most realistic opportunity to make the most money. Every day he answers the question an
Deidre
This book was a quick read about how Jay-Z used his natural business acumen to become a successful entrepreneur. It was interesting to see some of the thought processes behind his business decisions, but I didn't feel as if I understand him or his art any better. The author used some named sources to document his understanding of Jay-Z, but the book suffered from not having anyone close to his business dealings or Jay confirm the author's thoughts.
Mike
I guess the book accomplishes what it proposed to deliver: a story of Jay Z's ascent from drug dealing to sitting courtside at Nets games and being paid millions of dollars to mention particular champagne brands in his songs. But you can learn most of that from a Wikipedia entry or a few magazine articles, so I'm not certain why writing Empire State of Mind was all that necessary.

The author went well out of his way, throughout the book, to insert himself into the story, add silly personal vignet
Byron
I'd say this is almost as good as Jay-Z's own Decoded, and if anything that just goes to show what a wasted opportunity that book was.

The author couldn't get the rapper to participate in the making of the book, because what was in it for him (literally, that was Jay-Z's response), and one of the best parts of Empire State of Mind is the author barely concealed contempt. We need more books about rappers by people who aren't there to perpetuate the myth. The last thing we need is the literary equi
Adam Billing
An interesting book. If its all true! O'Malley Greenburg freely admits that Jay - Z didn't consent to the book and is never interviewed for it. The book lost further credibility for me when he called Danica Patrick a man, referring to the female race car driver as 'him' and 'his'.

That said, the stories about Jay's early life are interesting and aren't fully explained in his own book Decoded. The shooting of his brother and stabbing a music industry colleague for bootlegging his early recordings
Art
Jay-Z's a hero for a reason. I knew about his Cristal boycott but not the shrewd financial motives and underhanded dealings behind it. I knew he was an entrepreneur, but I didn't know he was this sharp, this relentless - and I didn't realise he freestyles most of his recordings! Amazing.
Olivier Goetgeluck
"You don't have to outwardly hone your craft. But in privacy, hone your craft. People don't have to know how hard you work to get something." (Be a quiet professional, Law 4: Always say less than necessary)

"If you're down with somebody who's doing smart things, you become smarter instantly, because you watch the smart things. You might figure your own way to do smart things, but if you see it, you understand it." (He that cannot have sages in service should have them for his friends. - Gracián)

D
Zack Greenburg
Nov 26, 2010 Zack Greenburg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Kinda biased -- I wrote it :)

Due out March 17, 2011 for Penguin.

Jurena Cantrell
It was an interesting read.
Toni
Jay-Z is everywhere these days with the opening of the new Barclay's Center and the debut of the Brooklyn Nets. The highlights of his life are pretty well known: his drug dealing days, entry into the world of hip-hop, some of his romantic history. Empire State of Mind chronicles his moves as a businessman and the stories behind the mega-deals and branding he has been associated with.

While we are familiar with his clothing brands, his nightclubs, and stint as the head of Def Jam, Greenburg shows
Tyler
The book that I have read is Empire state of mind. This is a biography on the famous rapper that we all know as Jay-Z. It tells about how jay-Z went from street corner to corner office. The author of this book is Zack O'Malley Greenburg.Zack O'Malley is actually a young man who went around Brooklyn, New York. He was with one of Jay-Z's past old friends and his purpose was to find how Jay-Z, AKA "Shawn Corey Carter" lived as a young boy and came to be the man he is today. He tells how he was givi ...more
Mike Tunney
This book reads like a long magazine feature pieced together from other magazine features. The book opens up by telling the story of the author, Zack O’Malley Greenberg, failing to get access to Jay Z for his book. In a pattern we’ve seen time and time again throughout Jay’s career, he instead wrote his own book Decoded, sticking to his former mentor Damon Dash’s principle: “We shouldn’t let other people make money off us, and we shouldn’t give free advertising with our lifestyle.”

A lack of acce
Jordan Bowser
After reading this book, there are a few things that I can use, and some that I won’t. The way Jay-z centers himself on his product is one idea that I can use. For example, if I was going to start a new business, I would make sure my business has many different type of products that would somehow link to each other so that consumers would buy more than one product, increasing my profit. On the other hand, one idea that I would not use of Jay-z’s would be the way he treated the people that helped ...more
Vee
Jan 31, 2013 Vee rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hip Hop fans
A chapter devoted to his relationship with Beyonce? Really?
Is this a business book on Jay-Z?

Written by a Forbes magazine staffer Zack O'Malley Greenburg, but without Jay-Z's blessing, this book is so-so business book. Many big celebrities tend to attach their names to different products, projects, or talents. Does that necessarily make them great businessmen? Yeah sure, Diana Ross discovered the Jackson Five. Many big actors receive producer or executive producer credit for films their films. At
James Loftus
This book was terrible and frankly shame on me for not putting it down as soon as the author noted in the forward to the book that Jay-Z refused to speak to him for the book. What follows that revelation is a poorly written exploration of Jay-Z's life and career using only primary source material from people that have personal axes to grind with him along with the recantation of various interviews that Jay-Z gave to other people and SONG LYRICS... I'm sorry but I cannot take seriously any book t ...more
Krystal
Since Jay-Z did not participate in the writing of this book I can't give it more than 3 stars. I would like to hear Hov's take on things from actual participation vs. quotes from other sources. I enjoyed hearing more about he got started, business and management style, relationship with his Dad and Beyoncé and his business interest in The Nets. Couldn't care less about the entire champagne chapter which I think the author tried to dig up enough to lengthen the book.
Andrew Conley
I liked this book, I have it a 4/5 rating. It tells you about Jay-z's life and how he stopped with the drug selling and how he became into a rapper and who he worked for. It says how him and Beyoncé got to know each other and when they got married. I think the kind of people would like this book is people that love his music, wants to know how he got big, and what he did to get Beyoncé's heart.
Kelly Reid
I grew up next door to Zack and knew him when he got his first writing gig at Boys Life Magazine. Compensation? A Sega Dreamcast ( which proceeded to last for a decade and a half, and proved to be a defining aspect of our childhood).

I need to read through this once more before I post my full review, but jesus. Few books can stir an emotion in me and this one did so multiple times.
Daryl Murphy
Greenburg did good research to put this book together. I am a big Jay-Z fan, but this book made me question some of my beliefs about the rapper turned business mogul. Jay is the poster child for street corner to corner office and Greenburg tells how he was able to do it so successfully.
Kate
Feb 21, 2014 Kate added it
this book was pretty terrible, not that it was the worst writing but how can you write a book that is purportedly about someone without interviewing them? It seems like the only people that the author conferred with were people that jay-z had spurned. But maybe it's my fault for thinking that I might actually enjoy a book about business. Or jay-z.
Greg Hills
Much of the content is cribbed from previously published sources already available via Google, but its nice to have it packaged in one book. Interesting insights on deals (Roc Nation, Roc-a-fella clothing, Roc-a-fella records, Brooklyn Nets, reclaiming his masters through Def Jam post) dealings with Dame Dash, failed Jay-Z Blue initiative, anecdotes about Jay-z as operating executive. Only worth reading if you'd read anything about Jay-z.

Dialectica
Short and sweet summary of Jay Z's manifold successes. Also an education on the who's who of 90's hip hop. Not earth shattering journalism - but worthwhile.
Pumpkin
How could a book about Jay Z not be interesting? With that context, this book gets only 4 stars. It's was an informative account, but left me uninspired.
Kiana
I just got that feeling that the author does not like Jay-Z, and that this book was written to expose him in some way. That said-
I still enjoyed learning about Jay-Z and all of his accomplished. I also like how the author went above and beyond to dig up information about Jay-Z. I have to give him credit for not taking no for an answer.

Now that I've read this book, I will read Decoded by Jay-Z himself. I purchased it when it first came out but didn't have time to read it!
I love Jay-Z and I love
Jason Adriaan
Interesting, but towards the end you want it to end.
Winter Rose
Interesting Take On A Music Figure! Excellent Read!
Goodreads Librari...: Cover for ebook version 2 14 Aug 25, 2013 09:30PM
Excellent Interview with Author Available 1 7 May 01, 2011 04:12AM
  • Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood
  • Know What I Mean? Reflections On Hip Hop
  • The Big Payback
  • My Friend Michael: Growing Up With The King Of Pop
  • The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created a Culture That Rewrote the Rules of the New Economy
  • The Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Never Drank the Kool-Aid: Essays
  • Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop
  • Decoded
  • Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga
  • Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf
  • Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America (Music & Culture)
  • Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music
  • Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer
  • Edison: A Biography
  • Asylum
Zack O'Malley Greenburg is a Forbes senior editor and author of the Jay-Z biography Empire State of Mind. His second book, Michael Jackson, Inc, will be released in June by Simon & Schuster. Zack covers the business of music in The Beat Report at Forbes; in five years there, he's tackled topics from public pension fund scandals to Justin Bieber's budding career as a venture capitalist. He has ...more
More about Zack O'Malley Greenburg...
Michael Jackson, Inc.: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of a Billion-Dollar Empire