Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office

Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  54 reviews
"I'm not a businessman-I'm a business, man."
--Jay-Z

Some people think Jay-Z is just another rapper. Others see him as just another celebrity/mega-star. The reality is, no matter what you think Jay-Z is, he first and foremost a business. And as much as Martha Stewart or Oprah, he has turned himself into a lifestyle.

You can wake up to the local radio station playing Jay-Z'...more
Published March 17th 2011 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published March 16th 2011)

When You're Gone by Avril LavigneEmpire State of Mind by Zack O'Malley GreenburgLike It or Leave It by Hannah AndronicBlinded by the Sun by Adam SalomonThree Sumner Tales by James Berryman
Music's Books
2nd out of 13 books — 6 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteSteve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonThe Hot Zone by Richard PrestonThe Corner by David Simon
Nonfiction pageturners
106th out of 142 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Amar Pai
I found this book quite fascinating. Greenburg writes a monthly column on rappers and their finances for forbes.com. (I love that Forbes has someone covering the "rap/finance" beat.) Among other things, he puts together a yearly list of the wealthiest rappers in the game, by overall net worth. This year, Puffy came in at #1 ($475 mil). But close behind was Jay-Z, who came in #2 with $470 mil. To repeat: $470 mil!!! Empire State of Mind is the story of how that came to be.

The most remarkable thin...more
Tanja
Empire State of Mind is a ‘business biography’ of Jay-Z. It explores how Jay-Z’s mind works, so I was disappointed to read that Jay-Z refused to be interviewed for the book. But the reason for that is actually really obvious: there was nothing in it for him. The book describes many of Jay-Z’s business ventures (the ones that were successful and the ones that failed), and makes it quite clear that Jay-Z doesn't bother with anything that he can’t profit from.

The author’s primary source of informat...more
Sheldon
I enjoyed this book even though Jay-Z didn't actually contribute to it. I've read some reviews and think a lot of what you get out of this book is based on what you come in expecting. If you are looking for a Jay-Z biography... this will disappoint you. If you are looking for a telling of some of the more key events in his life from a business perspective and a bit of insight into how he deals with people and ventures, you'll find it interesting.

I think the author talks to some people who provid...more
Blanca
Great companion to Jay-Z's book, Decoded. People have sometimes unfairly pointed out that the book doesn't delve into a criticism of the musical career of his subject, but it is a breakthrough because it provides a business perspective to hip hop culture, which hasn't been documented before.

Entertainment journalism previously focused on being a straight feature, but O'Malley Greenburg crosses over elements of business journalism with the appeal of feature writing for an interesting study of a co...more
Deidre
This book was a quick read about how Jay-Z used his natural business acumen to become a successful entrepreneur. It was interesting to see some of the thought processes behind his business decisions, but I didn't feel as if I understand him or his art any better. The author used some named sources to document his understanding of Jay-Z, but the book suffered from not having anyone close to his business dealings or Jay confirm the author's thoughts.
Byron
I'd say this is almost as good as Jay-Z's own Decoded, and if anything that just goes to show what a wasted opportunity that book was.

The author couldn't get the rapper to participate in the making of the book, because what was in it for him (literally, that was Jay-Z's response), and one of the best parts of Empire State of Mind is the author barely concealed contempt. We need more books about rappers by people who aren't there to perpetuate the myth. The last thing we need is the literary equi...more
Art
Jay-Z's a hero for a reason. I knew about his Cristal boycott but not the shrewd financial motives and underhanded dealings behind it. I knew he was an entrepreneur, but I didn't know he was this sharp, this relentless - and I didn't realise he freestyles most of his recordings! Amazing.
Olivier Goetgeluck
"You don't have to outwardly hone your craft. But in privacy, hone your craft. People don't have to know how hard you work to get something." (Be a quiet professional, Law 4: Always say less than necessary)

"If you're down with somebody who's doing smart things, you become smarter instantly, because you watch the smart things. You might figure your own way to do smart things, but if you see it, you understand it." (He that cannot have sages in service should have them for his friends. - Gracián)

D...more
Zack Greenburg
Nov 26, 2010 Zack Greenburg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Kinda biased -- I wrote it :)

Due out March 17, 2011 for Penguin.

Jurena Cantrell
It was an interesting read.
Toni
Jay-Z is everywhere these days with the opening of the new Barclay's Center and the debut of the Brooklyn Nets. The highlights of his life are pretty well known: his drug dealing days, entry into the world of hip-hop, some of his romantic history. Empire State of Mind chronicles his moves as a businessman and the stories behind the mega-deals and branding he has been associated with.

While we are familiar with his clothing brands, his nightclubs, and stint as the head of Def Jam, Greenburg shows...more
Tyler
The book that I have read is Empire state of mind. This is a biography on the famous rapper that we all know as Jay-Z. It tells about how jay-Z went from street corner to corner office. The author of this book is Zack O'Malley Greenburg.Zack O'Malley is actually a young man who went around Brooklyn, New York. He was with one of Jay-Z's past old friends and his purpose was to find how Jay-Z, AKA "Shawn Corey Carter" lived as a young boy and came to be the man he is today. He tells how he was givi...more
Mike Tunney
This book reads like a long magazine feature pieced together from other magazine features. The book opens up by telling the story of the author, Zack O’Malley Greenberg, failing to get access to Jay Z for his book. In a pattern we’ve seen time and time again throughout Jay’s career, he instead wrote his own book Decoded, sticking to his former mentor Damon Dash’s principle: “We shouldn’t let other people make money off us, and we shouldn’t give free advertising with our lifestyle.”

A lack of acce...more
Jordan Bowser
After reading this book, there are a few things that I can use, and some that I won’t. The way Jay-z centers himself on his product is one idea that I can use. For example, if I was going to start a new business, I would make sure my business has many different type of products that would somehow link to each other so that consumers would buy more than one product, increasing my profit. On the other hand, one idea that I would not use of Jay-z’s would be the way he treated the people that helped...more
Vee
Jan 31, 2013 Vee rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Hip Hop fans
A chapter devoted to his relationship with Beyonce? Really?
Is this a business book on Jay-Z?

Written by a Forbes magazine staffer Zack O'Malley Greenburg, but without Jay-Z's blessing, this book is so-so business book. Many big celebrities tend to attach their names to different products, projects, or talents. Does that necessarily make them great businessmen? Yeah sure, Diana Ross discovered the Jackson Five. Many big actors receive producer or executive producer credit for films their films. At...more
James Loftus
This book was terrible and frankly shame on me for not putting it down as soon as the author noted in the forward to the book that Jay-Z refused to speak to him for the book. What follows that revelation is a poorly written exploration of Jay-Z's life and career using only primary source material from people that have personal axes to grind with him along with the recantation of various interviews that Jay-Z gave to other people and SONG LYRICS... I'm sorry but I cannot take seriously any book t...more
Krystal
Since Jay-Z did not participate in the writing of this book I can't give it more than 3 stars. I would like to hear Hov's take on things from actual participation vs. quotes from other sources. I enjoyed hearing more about he got started, business and management style, relationship with his Dad and Beyoncé and his business interest in The Nets. Couldn't care less about the entire champagne chapter which I think the author tried to dig up enough to lengthen the book.
Kelly Reid
I grew up next door to Zack and knew him when he got his first writing gig at Boys Life Magazine. Compensation? A Sega Dreamcast ( which proceeded to last for a decade and a half, and proved to be a defining aspect of our childhood).

I need to read through this once more before I post my full review, but jesus. Few books can stir an emotion in me and this one did so multiple times.
Daryl Murphy
Greenburg did good research to put this book together. I am a big Jay-Z fan, but this book made me question some of my beliefs about the rapper turned business mogul. Jay is the poster child for street corner to corner office and Greenburg tells how he was able to do it so successfully.
Kate
Feb 21, 2014 Kate added it
this book was pretty terrible, not that it was the worst writing but how can you write a book that is purportedly about someone without interviewing them? It seems like the only people that the author conferred with were people that jay-z had spurned. But maybe it's my fault for thinking that I might actually enjoy a book about business. Or jay-z.
Greg Hills
Much of the content is cribbed from previously published sources already available via Google, but its nice to have it packaged in one book. Interesting insights on deals (Roc Nation, Roc-a-fella clothing, Roc-a-fella records, Brooklyn Nets, reclaiming his masters through Def Jam post) dealings with Dame Dash, failed Jay-Z Blue initiative, anecdotes about Jay-z as operating executive. Only worth reading if you'd read anything about Jay-z.

Pumpkin
How could a book about Jay Z not be interesting? With that context, this book gets only 4 stars. It's was an informative account, but left me uninspired.
Kiana
I just got that feeling that the author does not like Jay-Z, and that this book was written to expose him in some way. That said-
I still enjoyed learning about Jay-Z and all of his accomplished. I also like how the author went above and beyond to dig up information about Jay-Z. I have to give him credit for not taking no for an answer.

Now that I've read this book, I will read Decoded by Jay-Z himself. I purchased it when it first came out but didn't have time to read it!
I love Jay-Z and I love...more
Fernando Baez
This book was good because it show Jay-z in a different light than what people normally look at him. He is first a buisness man and second a rapper, the things he deos 99% of the time is for the profit even though people see this as greedy and selfish thats what he has to do to live the way hes comfortable living.Jay-z came up from the ghetto in brooklyn marcy projects and now is making millions living all over the world. His story is a true rags to riches story.
Regit
A very thorough account of Jay Z's rise to the top. It gives the impression that anything is possible, but you must put yourself in the right position for opportunities to begin presenting themselves before you. Once they present you must pursue them with passion and confidence. It was inspiring and motivational to say the least. The author tends to be a bit opinionated in some instances. Overall, good book though.
Melissa
As someone who is not a fan of hip-hop, nor interested in business, the fact that I enjoyed this book is a testament to the quality of story-telling contained within. I particularly enjoyed sharing in street basketball, champagne espionage, and gaining some perspective on Jay-Z's relationship with Beyonce. A great rags-to-riches story, especially for those interested in how to turn a profit.
Danilo Vargas
I enjoyed this book and learned a lot about Jay Z and his business exploits but the information about his formative years and specifics about his business acumen are sketchy at best. The reader is left wanting to know more. Even so I recommend this book for every entrepreneur and person committed to personal and business excellence.
Mike Paschal
I really enjoyed the book. It has a good pace to it which kept it in my hands for a quick read. Zach O'Malley does a great job of giving great detail through sources close to Jay Z without actually being able to sit down the Jay himself. It was great learning much more about the business side of things in Jay Z's life.
David
Well, I finished it. I learned a few things about Jay-Z that I didn't already know. But ultimately this reads like a rush job by a so-so writer who thinks he's much more clever than he actually is. Jay-Z was wise to stay away from this one. The great Jay-Z bio has yet to be written. Oh well...on to the next one.
Lea Ryan
Interesting window into Jay-z's world. not much from jay-z himself. This book really gives you a feel for how he interacts with business associates and how they feel about certain decisions he made. There is a lot about his background too. He's actually been around longer than I thought.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover for ebook version 2 14 Aug 26, 2013 06:30AM
  • The Big Payback
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • The Cornel West Reader
  • Decoded
  • Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America (Music & Culture)
  • Black Is the New White
  • The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created a Culture That Rewrote the Rules of the New Economy
  • Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority
  • Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
  • The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism
  • Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer
  • Various Positions: A Life of Leonard Cohen
Zack O'Malley Greenburg is a Forbes senior editor and author of the Jay-Z biography Empire State of Mind. His second book, Michael Jackson, Inc, will be released in June by Simon & Schuster. Zack covers the business of music in The Beat Report at Forbes; in five years there, he's tackled topics from public pension fund scandals to Justin Bieber's budding career as a venture capitalist. He has...more
More about Zack O'Malley Greenburg...
Michael Jackson, Inc.: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of a Billion-Dollar Empire