Start by marking “A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)

A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Murder's on the menu in this savory debut.Gwen (nee Katz) Silver heard the brisket at her uncle's Jewish deli, Murray the Pastrami Swami--the only one of its kind in Nashville, Tennessee--was "to die for." But she didn't realize that meant literally. . .

When Gwen learns she's inherited Murray's, the native New Yorker leaves her chaotic career and messy divorce behind to st...more
Published September 30th 2010 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Brisket, a Casket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brisket, a Casket

April
When death comes knocking at your deli’s door, what’s a girl to do?!

That’s exactly the situation that Gwen Silver, aka Katz, finds herself in when she takes over the Jewish deli of her beloved, deceased Uncle Murray - known as the Pastrami Swami. During Murray’s grand re-opening night of Kosher Karaoke, long time customer, well known and loved local Nashville celebrity, Buster Sergeant, keels over, dead, while on stage performing a rousing rendition of King of the Road. As talk of poisoning runs...more
Lynn
Okay, I don't like being critical of authors because it takes a lot of work and guts to get a book published. So with that said, it's with a lot more feeling for the accomplishment that this book ws published than anything else, that I give this book two stars over one star. I feel like the murder mystery got lost in this book and was more about saving the deli after Uncle Murray dies. I didn't really feel a bond with any of the characters. Reflecting on the story after finishing, I'm not sure I...more
Shay
Oct 11, 2011 Shay marked it as books-i-couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I tried, I really tried to finish this book. I like culinary mysteries, so I thought this would be a fun book. Something about it, though, just bores me. I don't find anything objectionable- not the characters, plot, etc.- but I just find myself not wanting to read this book. Indeed, I'll go for days without picking it up. So, I'm putting this aside because you shouldn't have to struggle to read a book that's supposed to be just fun, light reading.
Grey853
Barbara ★
I usually like foodie mysteries but this one just didn't do it for me. I hated it right from the first chapter and it just didn't get any better. Honestly there wasn't a likable character in the whole thing and the whole Jewish thing seemed overplayed to me. For the most part, the mystery kind of got swept under the rug in favor of trying to save the deli itself. Not a series I would continue.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is a new series and although it was entertaining, I can see need for character development, and work on the dialog.

It is so difficult to start off introducing the world to a new set of characters. Gwen has bones of a good one but needs to develop a backbone in her dealings with her employees. I sense that the next book may well do that.

The recipes are nice and a pleasant addition.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I'm not sure what I think of this first book - I liked the story, and the premise, but it felt a bit wooden to me. This sometimes happens for me on the first book of a series, and I usually warm up to it by the second or third (or discard the series all together). I'll definitely read the next book in the series and see how it goes before making a decision.
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
3.5

Quick and easy read with a simple plot and simple characters. The editor took their job too seriously when it came to the character development and the plot development but then forgot how to spell or look for extra spaces.

Interesting enough for me to read the next one and hope that these 2d characters become 3d.
Sue
A fast read, entertaining and mindless.
Melissa
I've really been into the foodie mystery genre lately. But I have to say, this one kind of fell flat for me. I just couldn't get into it at all.

Gwen, after a divorce and leaving New York, ends up with her Uncle's deli in Tennessee. Things aren't going so well though, especially when one of her most famous patrons ends up dead on her floor on karaoke night. Then soon after, someone is after her life as well. Its hard enough running a struggling business but she has to contend with a sleazy lawyer...more
Betty

Gwen (nee Katz) Silver heard the brisket at her uncle’s Jewish deli, Murray the Pastrami Swami—the only one of its kind in Nashville, Tennessee—was “to die for.” But she didn’t realize that meant literally…

When Gwen learns she’s inherited Murray’s, the native New Yorker leaves her chaotic career and messy divorce behind to start over in Nashville. But the venture seems doomed from the start. Murray’s taken his recipes and secret list of food suppliers to the grave with him, and ruthless real est...more
Myhotstylist
1st in series

After her uncle died, newly divorced New Yorker Gwen Katz-Silver aka Nash, inherits her deceased uncles' Jewish Deli. Things start to go south for the deli when a long time customer Buster Sergeant bites the big one on stage during karaoke night. After Gwen is attacked and shoved into her walk in refigerator, business starts to come to a crawl. Enter in slimey real estate developer, Royce Sinclair and his creepy atterney, Carl Liarson, trying to buy out Gwens deli. Gwen decides to s...more
Amelia-Irene
This is the first book of a new series. I found it slightly slow going, especailly everytime there was a need for a cigarette justification, and some things that were mentioned as being Jewish, could have used a little more explaination for non-Jewish readers, especially if this was a Kosher deli... some things that were happening would not be approved, or would need to be rededicated by a Rabbi.... (sorry my dad had Jewish roots and we had a lot of Jewish friends growing up). It took over 1/2 o...more
Brooke
A free download for my Kindle, so I'm not too disappointed with it. A pretty mindless mystery. Reminded me of my days in Creative Writing class in college.
Meh.
Susan
Gwen's marriage and life in New York are over, but she's inherited the only Kosher-style deli in Nashville from her beloved Uncle Murray. With his loyal staff, she reopens the deli, but she knows that its financial situation is precarious. When a customer dies during Kosher Karakoke night, the deli reaps more bad publicity. A real estate hotshot wants to buy her out or at least date her. After an attempt on her life, Gwen decides it's time to go through the morass of papers in Murray's old offic...more
Wyshona D. Lawson
This was a cute cozy. I figured it out, but the Silver Foxes helped me!
Amanda
Gwen certainly had a lot dumped in her lap all at once, can she handle it all or will her new life fall apart before it really starts?

There are a lot of really interesting characters around to keep things interesting at the Deli Gwen inherited from her uncle, hopefully they can help to hold it all together while Gwen finds the answers needed to move everything forward.

I have to say I really hate the character of Royce, & I think it is odd that Gwen would give him the time of day considering...more
Susan
This book was just OK. I actually forgot what the main character's name was at one point, and there were long stretches of the book where nothing led to the solution to the mystery. There really was no way for the reader to solve it from the minimal number of clues given in the story. And as for the ending--let's just say that I think Gwen, the main character, made a very poor choice. That was compounded by the author not allowing her to even realize that she had a choice.
Melissa Summers
A divorced cigarette smoking, chocoholic New Yorker inherits a kosher deli in Tennessee from her uncle. It's not just a death during karaoke night that threatens the future of the deli.

While a cozy mystery, I had a bit of hard time getting to know the main character and the town. However, I would be happy to read the next book in the series and explore the characters further.

This was a free book offering for Kindle which is now 3.99. Lending is enabled.
Terri
Gwen inherits a deli in Nashville when her uncle dies. At her first catered event, a local celebrity dies while singing karaoke. To save her business, she tries to figure out why. I enjoyed the book overall = had a little problem in the beginning where I felt things were all coming too fast at me, but light humor and interesting characters kept me reading. Not the strongest mystery (I figured it out pretty early) but a nice start to a new series.
Cheree
Not a bad read in general. It is just pretty slow and slightly predictable. It looks to be that a second part of this story is in the works (which needs to happen). However I'm pretty sure I wont be picking it up. When ending a book that will have multiple parts needs to leave you in a state where you can't wait for the next one to come out, this one does not do that. The ending was just plain awkward and disappointing.
Melodie
This was actually more like 3.5 stars, but since you can't give 1/2 stars here, 3 it is! I liked this story, the characters and the setting. I'm a little familiar with parts of Nashville, so was fun to see the areas I could identify. Gwen was smart, but not too smart, and not full of the NYC bluster you see in some people who are from there and relocate to places where they feel superior. I'll read the next for sure!
Jen
Very cute. It took me a couple of chapters to warm up to this one, but it turned out to be a fun read. There seemed to be a lot more series setup and back story in this one and not quite so much whodunit, but it was still a great way to spend a couple of evenings. Looking forward to reading more of this author's work and probably trying one or two of the recipes at the end of the book. 3.5 stars.
Laura de Leon
3.5 stars for this perfectly pleasant cozy mystery. Well, as pleasant as any book involving murder is likely to be, of course.

It's not a series I'll be making an effort to follow, but I certainly would enjoy picking up another volume at some point.
Casey
As always I finished this cozy mystery very quickly. I really liked the main character Gwen, however could have done without the constant cigarette craving references. A cute story and I look forward to the next installment.
Ali
A quick, superficial read. No real substance to the story, no real background given to the characters, a little stereotypical, and a little boring. A good read if you're looking for something to pass the time though.
Mickey
I was kind of disappointed with this book. It wasn't really bad, it just wasn't what I wanted it to be. There's a sequel projected for next year, but it's doubtful at this point that I'll be willing to read that.
Sandybear76
Gwen has inherited her uncle's deli in Nashville, TN. While the New York style deli seems popular and busy, the cash flow is not flowing. Then a customer dies on karaoke night and business takes more twists.
Andrea
I thought this was fairly good, I'd probably give it a 3.5 if I could. I liked the characters and the storyline. There were just a lot of extra details and tangents sometimes that bothered me a little.
Gretchen
First in a new series. I may not read more. The beginning was confusing because everybody had their real names and nicknames. A woman inherits her uncle's Jewish deli/restaurant in Nashville.
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
In 2010, the author started the series, Deadly Deli Mystery series with the book A Brisket, A Casket. The second book in the series, One foot in the gravy, will be published in 2011.
More about Delia Rosen...
One Foot In The Gravy (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #2) A Killer in the Rye (A Deadly Deli Mystery #3) From Herring to Eternity (A Deadly Deli Mystery #4) To Kill a Matzo Ball:: A Deadly Deli Mystery Fry Me a Liver