Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Leadership strategies grounded in reality and focused on results

Recent polls show that 71% of workers think about quitting their jobs "every day." That number would be shocking-if people actually were quitting. Worse, they go to work, punching time clocks and collecting pay checks, while completely checked out emotionally. In "Reality-Based Leadership," expert Fast Company...more
Published August 13th 2010 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Reality-Based Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reality-Based Leadership

Marcia Call
I borrowed this book from a colleague last year and finally picked up this year to read it. I just hadn't been in the mood for a business book, however, having cracked the cover I found it to be an enjoyable and practical book. There are some exercises but not too many so you can read it straight through without being distracted by what you should be doing with the content. I liked it so much I even highlighted certain paragraphs and wrote others down in my journal ... Oops, it's not my book! :)
Tama
Anybody who know me shouldn't laugh about this! I was introduced to Cy Wakeman by a college friend who is also a program director. I am not sure what was more important in this book, the reality based leadership style she promotes, or the authority/responsibility that she installs to cut the drama. I have read and/or listened to arts of this book before. I recently listened to it again, in the car this time. It is a book that you can retread over and over in order to reinforce the meaning. Proba...more
Lea
By no means a work of literature, ground-breaking philosophy nor critical read of history or current events-- but a clear and valuable read on effective and responsible leadership and management. Hits uncomfortably close to home for me and, I suspect, for many. Let's hope I've thoroughly digested what I've read...
Mimi Bear
This book is going to take the world by storm. It contains a message and purpose for everyone, not just business leaders, that says we need to be accountable. Every page is marked up and highlighted. I read it with eager excitement at understanding what was happening in work and home, but also with the tools to change it--forever--and then help others to see it too.
This should be required reading for EVERY MANAGER on earth! Oh what a world it would be if everyone took control of their actions an...more
Judy Arrington
Loved this book. Love this Lady as a speaker. A real dynamo :-). See her if you have a chance. Read her books if you don't.
Dan
Probably the best management book that translates into real life.
Susan Dooley
Love the phrase Ditch the Drama so much I've adopted it as my new mantra for working Mondays. The book doesn't contain a lot of new content rather it's a well organized approach to revitalizing concepts that were introduced as early as Carnegie. Accountability and ownership are key. Cy does offer simple ways to motivate and take action. Worth the read.
Renee Blanchard
My collaborative is particularly challenging at the moment. The surge of business reading has beat out my summer reading list this month.

This is actually a really good book. It's really helpful to remember that there are tricks to help when colleagues act like douchebags. Easy read, finished on two plane rides.
Karen
This was great! So many great ideas on how to ditch the drama that I can totally use, not like some other leadership type books that were hard to apply. Check out her website - great resources. http://www.realitybasedleadership.com/
Again, another brutally honest book by Cy Wakeman about personal accountability (Cy wrote this book first, but I read it second). I'm still processing the information, but I can't recommend it enough.
Dallas Mark
I picked this book up at the 2012 HR Florida Conference; the title/cover drew me in. I did take away some useful strategies. And a few laughs.
Scott
Probably one of the best no-nonsense leadership books I've read. As an HR professional, this one makes a lot of sense to me. I highly recommend it.
Christy Manning Owen
May 03, 2013 Christy Manning Owen is currently reading it
Just heard Cy Wakeman today at the Arkansas SHRM HR Conference. Awesome presentation and concepts!! Can't wait to read her book!!!
Megan
Wonderful book our creative team read together. I'd encourage every professional give this book a go.
Jeff Pattison
Great read for anyone that really wants to effectively change the culture where they work for the better.
Larissa
Book was ok, author was much better in person at getting her point and ideas across.
Mindy
Jun 13, 2013 Mindy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Patrick Rossol-Allison and Tina Crawford
Patty
Life changer!
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
William Joyce
William Joyce marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Sam Farmer
Sam Farmer marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Sep 08, 2014
Eric Lopez
Eric Lopez marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Christopher
Christopher is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace: Know What Boosts Your Value, Kills Your Chances, and Will Make You Happier Reality-Based Leadership Workshop Facilitator's Guide Set Reality-Based Leadership Workshop Deluxe Facilitator's Guide Set Reality-Based Leadership Self Assessment Reality-Based Leadership Workshop Participant Workbook