The Medic: Life and Death in the Last Days of World War II

The Medic: Life and Death in the Last Days of World War II

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  4 reviews
He was a college boy thrilled by the prospect of fighting what they were calling a good war. There were already eleven million people in the fight in the spring of 1943 when his troop train pulled out of the Detroit station. His parents watched uneasily from the platform knowing there was much to be afraid of, much more than he knew. He turned back and waved, I'll be fine,...more
Kindle Edition
Published 2001 by Algonquin Books

While this is a fairly quick read, I will admit to not being able to finish this book. I had to put it down after 79 pages. The characters portrayed in this true life experience made me feel pity and disgust for them and their chosen activities during WWII. I realize that war can be full of awful experiences and people can be reduced to animalistic behaviors, but I personally do not want to read about this sort of thing happening. This is a very gritty, very raw account of an American Army medic...more
Tom Darrow
Not a bad autobiography of WWII. This has a different perspective than the others that I have read, being that the author was a medic who served in the final year of the war, once the US had already invaded at Normandy. It gives good general pictures of life in those odd closing stages of the war where the fighting was wrapping up and the allies and defeated Germans were learning how to live with each other and what new rules to follow.

The major drawbacks of this book are covered in the author's...more
Tyler
Autobiography of a WWII medic, which shows the war from a young enlisted soldier's perspective. Not full of tactics, strategy or even many medical stories, but instead more focused on interpersonal relationships between the soldiers and the people they interacted with on their way to the end of the war. Less glamorous/romanticized portrayal of the "greatest generation".
Nicole
This book was okay.... not one I would run out and read. The story mostly talks about his experiences with women he finds in Paris and in other cities during his time in WWII. Very little focus on the life of a medic during that time.
Matt
Matt added it
Jul 13, 2014
Becky Brillon
Becky Brillon marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Rowan MacBean
Rowan MacBean marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Jayman
Jayman added it
Dec 11, 2013
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Home for Sale Waiting For The News College Days In Earthquake Country; Ordeal At San Francisco State, A Personal Record