The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)

The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,503 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A hidden killer...a conspiracy of treachery...and two people caught in the most desperate game of all...

In Renaissance Italy, intrigue is as intricate as carved cathedral doors, but none is so captivating as that surrounding the prized Wind Dancer, the lost treasure of a family--and of the man who will stop at nothing to reclaim it. Lionello Andreas is bound by his vow to...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published 1991)

Corrine
This is definitely the most unique setting I've read about in a historical novel.

In 1503 Italy, Lionello Andreas is seeking to regain a treasure that was stolen from his family - the Wind Dancer - and to do it, he is on the search for a great thief. His search brings him to Florence where he makes the acquaintance of Sanchia, a slave and pickpocket who impresses Lion with her talent. He immediately buys her papers and helps her settle the children she has taken under her wing. Sanchia, grateful...more
Regan Walker
Amazing Love Story...Masterfully Woven Tale!

This is the first in the wind dancer trilogy (THE WIND DANCER, STORM WINDS—and the contemporary, REAP THE WIND) and it is amazing--truly a "keeper" romance, one you'll read and re-read.

Set in early 16th century Northern Italy (1503), it tells the story of Lionello Andreas oldest son of an Italian family that has held as its most treasured possession a small golden statue of the winged horse Pegasus that, according to legend, was given to their family a...more
Edward Beavers
Ended better than it began.

I don't think that this is as good as I was expecting from the Eve Duncan series. it was ok.
Starket
After years of searching for a copy of this book, I finally got my hands on one. I could not put this book down. It was much different from Iris Johansen's other stories. I loved the time setting of the book. This was another book that I was sad to have end. I felt so much for the characters. I can't wait to read the other 2 books in the series.
Zeek
The Wind Dancer (Original 90's Version)- first in a trilogy has always been a favorite of mine. It’s the setting you see. One you don’t get often in Hist-rom. The setting in this book- the settings in the entire series really- is the thing I fell in the deepest love with- for it’s what sets the books apart.

For this tale, the setting is in the late 1400’s early 1500’s Italy. The power of the dukes and popes are waning and so, to keep that power, they desire one thing. The Wind Dancer.

A Pegasus m...more
Monique Atgood
LJ
THE WIND DANCER - G
Johansen, Iris - Standalone

Legend held that whoever possessed it would rule the destinies of nations.

Renaissance Italy, where intrigues were as intricate as carved cathedral doors and affairs of state were ruled by affairs of the bedchamber ... where the rustling richness of silk hid the quick glint of deadly stilettos, and poison vied with port as the favored drink to offer guests....

From the spellbinding pen of Iris Johansen comes her most lush, dramatic, and emotionally tou...more
Ariana
This is one of my favorite novels of all time (definitely a great series). Iris Johansen is wonderful in her story weaving, and I fall in love every time I read or re-read something of hers.

I am fond of period/historical romance books and films, and this most certainly fits that category. Johansen does such a wonderful job of putting in that romantic element and going so far as to make you shiver a bit, but still remains tasteful; her work is most certainly not smut.

The character descriptions in...more
Susan
Finely aged cheese! I don't know what it says about me , that I liked Iris Johensen's bodice-ripper-y early work a lot more than the Eve Duncan series... No, wait, maybe I do; it means I'm sick to death of Eve Duncan. I read Wind Dancer and a few other historical romances by this author way back in the day, so I can't comment on any specifics. I recall some interesting sex scenes, though, which sadly went missing in later series. Maybe I'd have liked Eve Duncan & Co. a lot more if there had...more
Lauren
Mar 15, 2013 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone and anyone but with some caution as this is a very deep and disturbing read
Recommended to Lauren by: fate
Shelves: romance
I found this book when I was twelve years old in my mothers old trunk. I've been an avid reader since I could start sounding out my words, so I didn't think anything about digging into this one. For a twelve year old it was probably a little much( ok it was way to much), but I still was so enthralled in the story that the more intimate parts were not hard to look over. Now as an adult I can not only appreciate the amazing story line, but also the hot and steamy scenes. I'm not sure how many time...more
Barbra
Didn't think a lot about this book at all. I read it but found it slow going.

Back Cover Blurb:
In Renaissance Italy, intrigue is as intricate as carved cathedral doors, but none is so captivating as that surrounding the prized Wind Dancer, the lost treasure of a family - and of the man who will stop at nothing to reclaim it. Lionello Andress is bound by his vow to guard the exquisite statue. But to recover what is rightfully his, he will need the help of a thief - one he can control, body and sou...more
Chrishandsigns
I read #4 Final Target first not knowing it was part if a series. I went back and read them in order. I enjoyed the books very much. It was fun to have a "central character" that was inanimate (like the Maltese falcon) and to see it in context of centuries, from the renaissance to the French revolution to modern times.
Becky
This book started slow for me. Historical fiction isn't usually my thing, but a few chapters in, I remembered why I love Johansen so much. She has such a gift for story telling! She can make the characters seem so real.

This book read fast once I became attached to Sanchia and her plight. I think Sanchia appealed to me because of her innocence. She's grown up in an environment of slavery and obedience that is so hard to understand. But, she's still strong and willing to give her life for those th...more
Brandi Wamsley
This is where she really begins her move into evil villains and then murder mysteries. If you are ever looking for a sick twisted bad guy, she has the best.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Older book, not sure what i expected. I enjoyed it and want to read the rest of the series, but it was one of those no brainers.
Yona
It was a nice book, but i didn't like the end. I'm happy that Andreas and Sanchia are finally together. But why did they have to lost so much - the beautiful country Mandara and Katenina, Marko, Bianca and everything else And when all of this was over and Andreas and Sanchia decided to start a new life away, why Lorenzo didn't go with them i really wanted him to go.

I really didn't like the end!!!!! Because of it I disliked the whole book, because of this last couple of pages this amazing book...more
The Wind Dancer Series was one of my favorite series that Iris Johansen has to offer... highly recommended as are all of her books. By far one of my favorite authors.
Marcia Stauber
There doesnt seem to be a novel that Ms Johansen writes badly. Her stories are not meant to be thought provoking but she does seem to slip in bits of wisdom when you are not looking and bam you are hit over the head with a little bit of wisdom. Love stories some bitter, some sweet, some happy, some sad, lustful heros, villians, damsels in distress. I think you get the picture. Lots of action, lots of fluff, lots of fun, nothing to take too seriously. Light reading at its best.
Jane Stewart
Enjoyable and a worthwhile read.

This is not a typical romance novel. It has romance but it is more about political intrigue, murder and suspense. Although there is revenge, justice and a happy ending, there were too many loved ones who died which makes it too sad for me. Aside from that, it is well written with intriguing characters. There is heroism and great love. Sexual content: mild.
Cilia
"This story could have happened" as the author says, this can be true from the historycal point of view but maybe not so much from the social point of view... a slave into a court? Loved by a condottiero? Anyway... this is fiction... and of a good quality, enjoiable and with a well built plot. This is the second johansen's book I read and she is yet one of my favourite!

Lee Wilson
Apr 10, 2009 Lee Wilson is currently reading it
It is an excellent historical novel about two people during the fight to wrest the land west of the Allegheny mountainsI was intrigued to find out if one of the characters was real and if he was I hoped to find out if he was a relative. I found out he was the brother to the Clark in the Lewis and Clark expedition. I am not sure yet if he is a relative.
Kathy Anne
Reread
I really like the stories in this series so I skip the war and History stuff.This first one is especially good about a young lady slave being used as a theif and her fear after seeing another with his hands chopped off.Being bought by an Italian Lord and the peril to both of them rcovering The Wind Dancer
Andreas and Sanchia..The 1500s
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I've been a fan of Ms. Johansen's historical romance novels for a while. This contemporary one caught my attention. Lionello is a determined man who does what he needs to get what he wants. He's almost an ends justifies the means kind of guy. I like it. This is the first in three and I can't wait to read the other two.
Meag
I read this book after I read the other two Wind Dancer novels. I enjoyed the contempary books better but it was interesting to read about the history of the statue. I haven't read the book in ten years but my general impressions was that it was good but definitely check out the next two Wind Dancer novels.
David
This was not best Iris Johansen book I've read. There seemed to be very little plot. The story read more like a romance novel, with a side plot of recovering an inanimate object that had no meaning to the storyline whatsoever. Didn't float my boat.
Kb
I strongly recommend the Wind Dancer Series. It was always one that facinates me. There are unexpected twists and turns and I did not find the series predictbale in any way!! I have read this series numerous times and highly recommend it.
Cheryl
Excellent historical romance/mystery. The background is 15th century Italy with the Borgias and Pope Alexander, a Borgia. This is the beginning of a series of books dealing with the legendary statue - The Wind Dancer.
Cyn
I liked this romance novel more than most. I liked the characters, the plot, the fact that it had more twists than your run-of-the-mill romances and I learned a few little facts about the era it was written about.
Ashley
I thought the history around The Terror was very interesting. I also enjoyed the book fairly well.... But I gave 3 stars because I felt that the chemistry between the two characters to be a little lacking.
Cindy Mast
Finished rereading this book this year. I read it back when it first came out and loved it so much I went back and reread the series. I love Iris Johansen and have read all her books, some twice!
  • Another Dawn (Coleman Family Saga #2)
  • The Game
  • Once a Thief
  • Once a Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Temptress (Medieval, #2)
  • A Wild Yearning
  • Dearly Beloved
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • Bond of Blood
  • Scent of Danger
  • The Highlander (Graham-Lennox #1)
  • The Arrangement
  • The Windflower
  • Devil's Embrace (Devil, #1)
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #1)
  • Embrace and Conquer
Johansen began writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great success. She had seventeen consecutive New York Times b...more
More about Iris Johansen...
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)