Start by marking “The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)” as Want to Read:
The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)

The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  989 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
A quiet, flame-haired beauty with secrets of her own... Lady Aila Graham is destined for the convent, until her brother's death leaves her an heiress. Soon she is caught between hastily arranged marriage with a Highland warrior, the Abbot's insistence that she take her vows, the Scottish Laird who kidnaps her, and the traitor from within who betrays them all. She's nothing ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Highlander's Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highlander's Sword

Angelc
Apr 17, 2010 Angelc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Aila Graham is shocked when her father arranges for her to marry a stranger, Padyn MacLaren. Aila had been trained her whole life to become a nun, so she's unprepared to be any one's wife. Padyn and Aila's sudden marriage is only the first in a string of fast-paced adventures they have together, including kidnapping, a besieged castle, a secret passageway, and many high speed chases on horseback. Among their many adventures, the two find themselves falling in love.

I really enjoyed this high
Carolyn
There were a lot of biblical scripture quotes throughout this book which I am certainly not accustomed to in "Highlander" books. I will also add that there was no "heat" exhibited between the main characters. I'm adding these comments for those who are hard core "Highlander" book readers, like myself, who expect certain elements. However, this is in no way disparaging of the book. It was well written, the characters were fully developed and the story was enjoyable. I thought it was important to ...more
Aug 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, the brooding misunderstood Highlander and the well-dowered damsel in distress. As much as I wanted to enjoy this book, I could not. It started out really well, but then Lady Aila runs away to the convent and it was pretty much down hill from there for me. The story was too predictable and I did not like Aila or Padyn. I know this is a romance book and all of that, but these two were exasperating to read about. Padyn sees Aila looking like a nun and thinks that he probably can't trust her bec ...more
Zoe
Mar 30, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok read with occasional highlights. probably won't read again. Some skimming helped me finish the book.
Laura Kaye
Feb 26, 2011 Laura Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a fun, sexy, suspenseful story and I devoured it in less than 8-hours time. Padyn MacLaren is all wounded alpha male, with a scar and long-ass sword to boot (hehe). Lady Aila Graham is unique and likable--educated, her secret pre-dawn horse rides the source of neighborhood ghost stories that Robert the Bruce rides among the Highlands still, and she's the fastest damn horseman of ANY character in the book. I love that every man she rides with eats her dust. Many of the secondar ...more
Terra
Feb 03, 2010 Terra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Highlander's Sword by Amanda Forester is a surprisingly radiant gem from a debut author. If you love stories of Highlander's then you will most certainly love this.

Lady Aila Graham has her heart set on being a nun because of her mother drumming this into her since she was but a wee bairn. She has been a loyal daughter to both parents even though there is a rift between her mother and father. Unfortunately now, Aila is caught between the two and can only do what her father tells her no matter
Joy
Jul 18, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't spend much time in the mainstream romance aisle of Barnes and Noble, so if I hadn't read author Amanda Forester's guest post at the Seekerville blog I might have missed this gem completely.

Lady Aila Graham's future is laid out for her. She will care for her ailing mother until she passes, then join the convent and devote her life to God. But when her father unexpectedly marries her off to Scottish Laird, Padyn MacLaren, Aila must trust that God will not leave her or forsake her. It's a g
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Amanda Forester tells a gripping tale of love, betrayal, and redemption in the beautiful highlands of Scotland.
Sir Padyn MacLaren left Scotland a young lad to fight with the French against the English.
Betrayed by his fiancee and forced to kill her lover, he flees back to Scotland with a a vow to never trust a woman again.
Lady Aila Graham has been groomed since birth to enter the convent.
When her father summons her she is shocked to learn that he has promised her hand in marriage for the securi
Apr 16, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like other highlander romances but I love it no less. Unlike other novels, I did not realize the traitor until he was revealed. And I enjoyed the added pressure from the church at the end.
I do notice how half the book, the characters are apart, but that just emphasizes and facilitates their miscommunications. After all, lack of communication, as seen here, tends to be the number one problem in real life relationships; maybe readers can be warned against it.
The epilogue was my favorite pa
Sevimli Hırsız
Kendimle gurur duyuyorum . Bu kitabı da bitirdim. Tam bir vasat ötesi. Bazı yerlerin de yazar resmen tekrar yazmamak için kopyala yapıştır yapmış ya . " Şimdi mi ? Şimdi . Burada mi ? Burada . " Bu kısımların tekrar etmesi ve özellikle o aptal "bana söz ver " muhabbeti gerçekten kitabın içine etmiş. Çok fazla beklentiyle okunmaması gereken bir kitap.
ஐ฿υκєτஐ
Bitti ama nasıl bitti bir ben bilirim birde Allah:)Biraz ondan biraz bundan alınıp ortaya bir karışık sunulmaz.Beğenmedim malesef.Umarım serinin diğer kitapları daha iyidir.

Not:

Burada mı?
Burda.
Şimdi mi ?
Şimdi.

Bu replikler neydi ya.Tekerleme gibi sürekli kullanıp durmuş yazar.Deli oldum:(
Megan Burback
This book wasn't horrible, but there were some huge problems with me. The main one being, the H/H hardly spend any time together in the book. They don't talk; they kiss like twice and at the very end they have sex but it's hardly a sex "scene". This whole book takes place over five days and between them hardly talking or seeing each other, they claim everlasting love. *rolls eyes* This felt more like a historical fiction novel with a very small side of romance.

The only character I care
Wendy Hines
Jun 21, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I want to say how much I loved this book! I find it hard to believe that this is Ms. Forester's first novel, but if you love historical romance, you won't want to miss this one. It's amazing!!

Padyn MacLaren is a Highlander who was betrayed by his French fiance' to the English. Now wearing a scar across his face from that fiasco, his heart bruised and swearing to never trust another woman again, Padyn makes his way back home to the Scottish Highlands. He had fought for five years.

On hi
Mandi Schreiner
REVIEWED BY TORI

Amanda Forester tells a suspenseful tale of love, betrayal, and redemption in the beautiful highlands of Scotland.

Betrayed by his fiancée and forced to kill her lover, he flees back to Scotland with a a vow to never trust a woman again.

Lady Aila Graham has been groomed since birth to enter the convent. When her father summons her she is shocked to learn that he has promised her hand in ma

Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Amanda Forester weaves a beautiful tale in The Highlander’s Sword, of the wilds of the Scottish Highlands where distrust and betrayal come together with love and redemption.

Lady Aila Graham always expected to join the church when the time came, but when her brother and father’s heir is killed in war Aila unexpectedly finds herself betrothed to a handsome but hardened knight. Betrayed by his fiancé and grieving the loss of his cousin while at war in France, Sir Padyn MacLaren has sworn never to l
Elis Madison
I had no idea when I bought this that this would be sweet Christian fiction. It was refreshing, really, to be able to read a whole story that didn't revolve around heavy breathing. I'm no prude but I really prefer a story that can keep the reader's interest without resorting to that every five pages. And this one does it pretty well, with a few little nit-picky exceptions.

Padyn MacLaren was in France, fighting the English when he met and fell in love with the lovely Countess Marguerite. The witc
Donna Hatridge
Aug 05, 2011 Donna Hatridge rated it really liked it
This is a well written debut novel for Amanda Forester. The book is entertaining and full of adventure, at least for Lady Aila Graham. It seems that Padyn MacLaren has his hands full. The characters are interesting and the story moves at a good pace. if you like Scottish Highlander romances this is a good one. As of this posting Barnes & Noble have the eBook for .99 cents.

Set against the backdrop of the rugged Scottish Highlands and the tumultuous 14th century, Lady Aila Graham is destined f
Shannon
Jun 16, 2010 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aila is going about her day and preparing to join a nunnery when one day she finds herself suddenly married. After going back and forth between choosing marriage to MacLaren or becoming a nun, and having a few quick adventures, she finally settles down. A quick, light read with a happy and satisfying ending. This was exactly what I was looking for.

When Aila encounters a choice or any difficulty at all, a quote from from the bible (in Latin) pops into her head to help guide her. Aila is not alway
Esther
Feb 07, 2013 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this highlander's book as much as I did book 2, probably more actually. It is humorous, and it moves in a much faster pace than highlander's heart. However, 3/4 of the way in, the hero falls madly in love with Aila -- as to when this actually happened -- escapes me. I felt like I missed something. Sure he finds her physically attractive, but there was somewhat a lack of chemistry between them- in my opinion. I missed that spark that would make their encounters pull on my heartstri ...more
Anna
Feb 23, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For many years now, Aila has been destined for the church, she knows nothing else. But on St. John's Eve she's summoned by her father. He informs her that she will be marrying Padyn MacClaren. Not only that... there will be no engagement period, for she will be getting married today, this moment in fact. Needless to say her world is shaken and her journey takes a different turn with this highlander.

The Highlander's Sword is a lighthearted page-turner. I had a hard time putting the book down. The
Melissa
Apr 17, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: romantic-reads
I think, "Eh" is my overall response. It was nice but not memorable. There were a few too many plot turns (view spoiler) ...more
Gonca Soydaş
Kitap hakkında söyleyebileceğim pek de bir şey yok aslında. Evet, hoştu ama beni ahım şahım sürüklemedi yani. Ortada basit denebilecek bir gizem vardı, hemen çözülebilecek türden.

Kısacası, hikâye güzeldi ama bir türlü beni içine çekemedi. Bu da okuyucu olarak hoşuma gitmedi haliyle.
Cathiecaffey
Aug 18, 2010 Cathiecaffey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an awesome read by this debut author, Amanda Forester. I love reading Medieval Romances and it was so beautiful to read Lady Aila Graham and Laird Padyn MacLaren's romance. I found it so refreshing to read the growth of their romance after the arranged marriage by her father to strengthen their clan (Graham). It was truly beautiful to see this in the hero and that he didn't fight these feelings throughout the book but did need to learn to trust again and gave that chance with Lila. You ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
I loved this story of Aila and Padyn and their quest to be loved and belong. Aila was raised fcr the church until her brother died, she became her father's heir, and she was shocked to be rather forced into marriage. Padyn returned to his land, after being a soldier for years, to find his clan was dwindling and not thriving. He agreed to the marriage mainly for the dowry to help his people and to beget an heir. They both need time to realize this marriage is what they both needed, and neither of ...more
Elaine Mcdonald
The heroine Aila suddenly found out that she was not going to be a nun. Her father had arranged a marriage for her to ensure that as his heir (after her brother's death) his property would remain in his family not become the property of the church. Author is historically accurate. Aila has biblical quotes through out the story. When she is in trouble the quotes come to help her decide what to do.
Basically a G rating.
Camille
Apr 14, 2015 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because another author I like, S. Tisdale, said she loved this. It does not disappoint! I'm so glad to find another book that I love 'enough.' I say enough because it's definitely not without fault but it does what any highland romance should, annoy us and then make us fall in love.
By annoy, of course I mean the hero of the story, Padyn. He is soooo infuriating! I wanted to strangle him and then kiss him and then, strangle him again. It still is better than feeling nothing for
Hanife
Okuyalı bir yılı aşkın zaman geçti. Ama kitaptan aklımda kalanlar, bir kaçırma olayı, ülkenin başından ucuna koşturup durmaları, adamın kıza sahip olup bu işi resmileştirmeliyim diyip bir türlü o günü görememesi, evli oldukları halde son 30 sayfada kavuşmaları, yani eşittir fiyaskoydu benim için. :)
Rhonda K
Sep 16, 2014 Rhonda K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scottish
The story grew on me eventually like many of Forester's have. I don't mind that her stories have a slow build, I just expect it and look forward to when I'm going to feel the hook. Her characters are fun, steadfast, and loyal. There's almost always a mysterious character in the background of each story like this one, trying to control circumstances to their own benefit. Again the author includes scripture and the characters' contemplation of their own religious convictions. Didn't detract from t ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
What can I say, I have a soft spot of Highland romances, or perhaps just Scotland in general.

Aila Gordon is the heiress to the lands, but she has been destined to join a convent ever since a little girl. No one has never looked twice at her. This all changes since her father does not want her to join a convent, he needs soldiers because his neighbour is causing mischief, and the way to do this is to marry her away. He will get soldiers, the husband her rich dowry.

Aila was a sweet woman, she did
Dawn
Nov 27, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lady Aila Graham was destined to become a nun but then her brothers dies in war and becomes heiress to her family lands. Regardless she still believes she will go to the covenant as no man has ever looked at her like a woman. Then attacks begin to occur on her families land and her father arranges a marriage to Padyn MacLaren as he needs soldiers and MacLaren needs Aila’s dowry.
Padyn MacLaren is weary knight who wants only to live in peace and save his lands for his people. He is also weary bec
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Highland Heat (Highlander, #3)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • Her Scottish Groom
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
  • Highland Dragon
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
Amanda Forester holds a PhD in clinical psychology and a Masters degree in theology. As a psychologist, she has worked as a clinical researcher and a university instructor (what they call you when they don’t want to give you tenure). None of which has anything to do with writing romance novels. After trying for many years to stop the internal storylines floating around her head, she finally gave u ...more
More about Amanda Forester...

Highlander (3 books)
  • The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2)
  • True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)