Start by marking “One Insular Tahiti” as Want to Read:
One Insular Tahiti

One Insular Tahiti

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When a man chooses his rebirth, will the mother he selects be able to forgive him?

"My death in '59 came the way I always feared it would: in the claustrophobic underground heat of a Cape Breton coal mine."

So begins Luke MacIsaac's tale of restless afterlife. His life after death is nowhere near what he thought it would be; instead of peace, he finds an unending roll on a
ebook
Published September 12th 2010 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about One Insular Tahiti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Insular Tahiti

Divergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Break Out
188th out of 1,951 books — 4,680 voters
Impeding Justice by M.A. ComleyIn Memory of Greed by Al BoudreauNumber 13 by M.G. WellsFinal Justice by M.A. ComleyThe Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore
Kindle Authors
23rd out of 264 books — 184 voters

More lists with this book...

Sibel Hodge
First of all I have to say wow! This novel wasn't what I was expecting at all.

To sum it up is hard because it includes so many things: Family relationships and how the dynamics have the power to make you who you are. Reincarnation (whether you believe or not doesn't matter), and a journey of how we may get to who we are now. It's sad, hopeful, painful, forgiving, thought-provoking, all rolled into one. And it's like nothing I've read before.

Thea has such an eloquent way with words, her writing
Kate Policani
Luke is a spirit between one life and the next, washing around in the sea of time and memory waiting for the moment when he is reborn. At the mercy of the whims of the current, he flows through his own life and the lives of others from his past life and future life on a bizarre train of feeling and thought (that seems a lot like my regular thinking patterns…eee). The moment that he longs for, his own rebirth, is approaching. He yearns for his mother, Astrid, who suffers through a painful life th ...more
T.W. Dittmer
I just finished reading “One Insular Tahiti” by Thea Atkinson, and would like to say a few words about it. I don’t think I can really do this work justice, but was impressed enough to give it a go.

This is not a beach read. This is not a fun read. This is the real deal.

From the beginning, the author pulls you into the story with imagery that flows from surreal to a hard slap up side the head. From the bobbing in the ocean… to the unknown stains on the frat house floor… to the vomit on the borrowe
Jeni
This review deserves much more time than I can give it right now, but I want to at least get a few words down.

The author's prose was beautifully flowing, and reading this book was a pure delight. The plot was touching and refreshingly unique. The characters were fascinating; just developed enough to make you care for them and want to understand them. At times I grew frustrated wanting more information about a particular character or situation, but that was one of the things that also made this
Nancy
Distraction will take away the pleasure of reading this fine book., March 12, 2015

This review is from: One Insular Tahiti: a novel (Kindle Edition)

The author really makes you think and concentrate when you read her books. No distractions is the best way to dive in, because the hidden themes and necessary information will be lost if you become distracted. I almost put this book down after the first quarter, but I am glad I continued.

There are several characters that the book flashes back to throu
Elaine
This book is very beautifully written, flows nicely and is paced very well. The reason I only gave it three stars though is I personally found the content quite challenging. The novel deals with some very hard hitting issues, as someone who likes to read as a means of escapism some of the issues and concepts dealt with in this book were tough for me. However Thea Atkinsons wonderful prose kept me reading to the end.
Paula Humphrey
This has become one of my favorite books. Very creative writing intertwines Luke's life back and forth between his own past experiences and Astrid's life. You come to care about all of the characters in the book, and feel a connection to them. It is a very well written story - I didn't want to put it down!
Thea Atkinson
Dec 30, 2010 Thea Atkinson added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
it does have 4.5 stars over at Amazon so it can't be all bad.
Carol
I loved this. It took me ages to read because it was quite traumatic in places. There were several upsetting scenes, and the majority of the characters had flaws - one who sexually abused his under age niece, another self harming, one who murders another, one who mentally abuses another, and so it goes on. It was well written and I really cared about what happened to them.

Maggie White
I was a little disappointed whilst reading this. It hada really promising beginning and the subject was interesting but it didn't fulfil that promise for me. the relationship over the reincarnations was not made clear nor what the redemption was about.
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Elyssa Kucenski
Elyssa Kucenski marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Paula Mijy
Paula Mijy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Apr 03, 2015
Pat (Scorpio)
Pat (Scorpio) marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Chris Roeszler
Chris Roeszler marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Keri Natoli
Keri Natoli is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Stephanie Robello
Stephanie Robello marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Dec 27, 2014
Victoria Pendergrass
Victoria Pendergrass marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
B.  Keith Barron
B. Keith Barron marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Fabiola
Fabiola marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Melissa Kitano
Melissa Kitano marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Sep 04, 2014
Crystal Takacs
Crystal Takacs marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Elizabeth Keatley
Elizabeth Keatley marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Authors...: One Insular Tahiti: a tale of reincarnation 1 2 Oct 02, 2011 05:11AM
Thea writes what she calls left-of-mainstream fiction. No matter what the theme, it's often dark, gritty, edgy, and doesn't fit into any one recognizable genre.

She has been an editor, a freelancer, and a teacher, but fiction is her passion. She now blogs and writes and twitters. Not necessarily in that order.

Please visit her blog for ramblings, guest posts, giveaways, and more
More about Thea Atkinson...
Water Witch (Elemental Magic, #1) (Witches of Etlantium, #1) Blood Witch (Elemental Magic, #2) (Witches of Etlantium, #2) Phoenix (Theta Waves) Chasing Dragons (originally titled Anomaly) Bone Witch (Elemental Magic, #3) (Witches of Etlantium, #3)