Start by marking “One Insular Tahiti” as Want to Read:
One Insular Tahiti

One Insular Tahiti

When a man chooses his rebirth, will the mother he selects be able to forgive him?

"My death in '59 came the way I always feared it would: in the claustrophobic underground heat of a Cape Breton coal mine."

So begins Luke MacIsaac's tale of restless afterlife. His life after death is nowhere near what he thought it would be; instead of peace, he finds an unending roll on a
ebook
Published September 12th 2010 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about One Insular Tahiti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Insular Tahiti

Divergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Break Out
1,986 books — 4,699 voters
In Memory of Greed by Al BoudreauImpeding Justice by M.A. ComleyNumber 13 by M.G. WellsFinal Justice by M.A. ComleyThe Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore
Kindle Authors
314 books — 212 voters

More lists with this book...

T.W. Dittmer
May 31, 2012 T.W. Dittmer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-authors
I just finished reading “One Insular Tahiti” by Thea Atkinson, and would like to say a few words about it. I don’t think I can really do this work justice, but was impressed enough to give it a go.

This is not a beach read. This is not a fun read. This is the real deal.

From the beginning, the author pulls you into the story with imagery that flows from surreal to a hard slap up side the head. From the bobbing in the ocean… to the unknown stains on the frat house floor… to the vomit on the borrowe
Sibel Hodge
Jun 17, 2011 Sibel Hodge rated it it was amazing
First of all I have to say wow! This novel wasn't what I was expecting at all.

To sum it up is hard because it includes so many things: Family relationships and how the dynamics have the power to make you who you are. Reincarnation (whether you believe or not doesn't matter), and a journey of how we may get to who we are now. It's sad, hopeful, painful, forgiving, thought-provoking, all rolled into one. And it's like nothing I've read before.

Thea has such an eloquent way with words, her writing
Kate Policani
Jan 22, 2012 Kate Policani rated it really liked it
Shelves: win
Luke is a spirit between one life and the next, washing around in the sea of time and memory waiting for the moment when he is reborn. At the mercy of the whims of the current, he flows through his own life and the lives of others from his past life and future life on a bizarre train of feeling and thought (that seems a lot like my regular thinking patterns…eee). The moment that he longs for, his own rebirth, is approaching. He yearns for his mother, Astrid, who suffers through a painful life th ...more
Jeni
Mar 08, 2012 Jeni rated it really liked it
This review deserves much more time than I can give it right now, but I want to at least get a few words down.

The author's prose was beautifully flowing, and reading this book was a pure delight. The plot was touching and refreshingly unique. The characters were fascinating; just developed enough to make you care for them and want to understand them. At times I grew frustrated wanting more information about a particular character or situation, but that was one of the things that also made this
Elaine
Feb 14, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it
This book is very beautifully written, flows nicely and is paced very well. The reason I only gave it three stars though is I personally found the content quite challenging. The novel deals with some very hard hitting issues, as someone who likes to read as a means of escapism some of the issues and concepts dealt with in this book were tough for me. However Thea Atkinsons wonderful prose kept me reading to the end.
Paula Humphrey
Jan 11, 2011 Paula Humphrey rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite books. Very creative writing intertwines Luke's life back and forth between his own past experiences and Astrid's life. You come to care about all of the characters in the book, and feel a connection to them. It is a very well written story - I didn't want to put it down!
Thea Atkinson
Dec 30, 2010 Thea Atkinson added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
it does have 4.5 stars over at Amazon so it can't be all bad.
Indie Editor Nancy
Distraction will take away the pleasure of reading this fine book., March 12, 2015

This review is from: One Insular Tahiti: a novel (Kindle Edition)

The author really makes you think and concentrate when you read her books. No distractions is the best way to dive in, because the hidden themes and necessary information will be lost if you become distracted. I almost put this book down after the first quarter, but I am glad I continued.

There are several characters that the book flashes back to throu
Carol
Aug 03, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It took me ages to read because it was quite traumatic in places. There were several upsetting scenes, and the majority of the characters had flaws - one who sexually abused his under age niece, another self harming, one who murders another, one who mentally abuses another, and so it goes on. It was well written and I really cared about what happened to them.

Maggie White
Sep 08, 2011 Maggie White rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed whilst reading this. It hada really promising beginning and the subject was interesting but it didn't fulfil that promise for me. the relationship over the reincarnations was not made clear nor what the redemption was about.
Heather Stacco
Heather Stacco rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Deanna Fike
Deanna Fike rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Nga
Nga rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Prinal
Prinal rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2011
M.A. Comley
M.A. Comley rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2011
Fran Wevers
Fran Wevers rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Geeta
Geeta rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Rodeo El-Sabae
Rodeo El-Sabae rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Kristi Rapach
Kristi Rapach rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Karen Hedrick
Karen Hedrick rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Anthea
Anthea rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Brittany Phallups
Brittany Phallups rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2011
Tami
Tami rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Eloise Coetzee
Eloise Coetzee rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Aunee
Aunee rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Goodreads Authors...: One Insular Tahiti: a tale of reincarnation 1 2 Oct 02, 2011 02:11PM

You can try before you buy!
Visit theaatkinson.com for more info on how to get a few free ebooks.

Thea is a NY Times and USA Today bestseller who writes what she calls left-of-mainstream fiction. No matter what the theme, it's often dark, gritty, edgy, and doesn't fit into any one recognizable genre.

She has been an editor, a freelancer, and a teacher, but fiction is her passion. She now blogs and w
More about Thea Atkinson...