Start by marking “The Warrior Diet: Switch on Your Biological Powerhouse - For High Energy, Explosive Strength, and a Leaner, Harder Body” as Want to Read:

Along with the many benefits of leisure-class living comes obesity and its attendant ailments. In The Warrior Diet, Ori Hofmekler looks not forward but backward for a solution–to the primal habits of early cultures such as nomads and hunter-gatherers, the Greeks, and the Romans. Based on survival science, this book proposes not ordinary dietary changes but rather a radical ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 312 pages
Published December 4th 2007 by Blue Snake Books (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Diet

Filip
Nov 15, 2012 Filip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start with a bit of a disclaimer - I usually frown at The *insert word here* Diet because it sounds like a fad, magic pill diet derived from Cosmo. Warrior Diet is not just another gimmick, it's a concept that has been part of common sense of old civilizations like Sparta or Roman Empire, and modified to suit the modern man.

Basically, The Warrior Diet is about undereating during the day with live food to reach a fight-or-flight state (alertness, more energy, "hunger for life") and detoxify
Seb T.
Sep 20, 2014 Seb T. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full of pseudoscience and emotional writing. He makes it very appealing to a younger male audience by selling it as the way the spartans, and other warrior cultures ate, which is pure bs.

Do you really think spartans, roman legionaires and the like were concerned about meal timing and ate the highest quality food they could obtain at times that fit in with their special fasting schedule?

Like any army, they ate what was available, cheap, produced and distributed en mass amongst the troops. Which
Niclas
Jul 15, 2012 Niclas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has some quite interesting ideas on how far modern man has 'strayed' from the way he used to eat, fight and live.

I would have enjoyed the book more if he had stuck to facts instead of hyperbole and didn't constantly try to up-sell his own protein powders and vitamin supplements.
Victoria
You'd probably benefit more by reading a book geared exclusively towards fasting, but it's a worthwhile read nonetheless. I find the principle of one-meal-a-day, in practice, to be very healing on both a physical and spiritual level. Highly recommend the practice of fasting!
Abdullah Alasmari
It is among the few modern books that touch the subject of fasting and its benefits. Bit of a touchy subject and people who practice it face skepticism and criticism. The book challenge the norm of the traditional 3 meals a day approach and slowly lure the reader into realizing how much freedom and health benefits can be associated with this fasting approach.

I would however say that Ori Hofmekler approach is more lenient as he suggests that eating small healthy snacks wouldn't harm during the f
Robert
Feb 01, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing
I really like Mr. Hofmekler's theories on dividing up the stress you put on one's parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems. One does this by dividing a single day up into an under-eating (fasting) phase and over-eating phase. Each phase has its rules and guidelines and after following them for about a month now I can say this diet really suits me well. No more afternoon slumps. And I can still eat as much healthy food as I want. This diet to me doesn't really feel like a diet so much as a ...more
flowtoolz
Jan 20, 2015 flowtoolz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
+ some important ideas that work

- poor structure
- poor writing
- poor argumentation
- poor referencing
- too much redundancy
Mind-triggers
Jan 30, 2012 Mind-triggers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucks. Its confusing and it is completely contradictory. If you want people to go raw which he supports why would you go ahead and say protein shakes and other supplements are ok. Those have some of the more common un natural ingredients. Wash the chicken when taken out but go ahead and by supplements that are garbage. To be fair he states that a person should only take certain kinds of supplement. There are rarely any that are that provide enough protein to supplement as a meal replac ...more
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Este es un libro denso como un puto ladrillo. Pero muy denso. Es un 90% ciencia (con un extenso índice de referencias de publicaciones científicas de verdad) y un 10% puro pajoterío.

La idea de este libro es que podemos mantener un mejor estado de salud, así como un nivel más bajo de grasa corporal, si hacemos un ayuno controlado durante el día (no un ayuno total, sino restringir lo que comemos en cantidad y tipo de nutrientes) y luego una comida principal durante la noche, donde te vuelves todo
Subhav Bhatia
Feb 16, 2017 Subhav Bhatia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting ideas. Ori Hofmekler seems to be a legit dude who knows what he is talking about. I am thoroughly impressed.
Rodrigo
Jan 05, 2013 Rodrigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome , it has a lot of history and somehow it lures you into thinking you're a warrior, thanks to this book i wanted to research more on the roman soldiers,etc. He claims that eating carbs during the day is what " slaves " used to do, and so on, i can tell you from experience that a big breakfast in the early morning makes me feel somewhat lethargic.

It's basically controlled fasting during 16-20 hours (fruits, berries, veggies, nuts , protein shakes,2-4oz of lean meat if necesay, coffee,tea)
Beta
Jan 06, 2016 Beta rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Wild cats look their best when they're hungry, so do you."

Motivation? Super. Wenn man auf dieses "Warrior" Thema steht, ist das ein tolles Buch. Leaner, harder body? Immer nur her damit! Was absolut zu viel Platz einnimmt ist der ganze Kram über Nährwerte, was gesund und nicht gut ist, Nahrungsergänzungsmittel und das sinnlose Sportprogramm. Ich weiß durchaus, was ich essen möchte und wie ich mich bewegen will. Als Ausdauersportler habe ich zu dem ganzen Kraftzeug auch eine andere Meinung.
Man
Henry Barry
Kind of self explanatory. Interesting idea that you should eat very lightly (if at all) during the day, only having raw fruits veggies, yogurt, eggs, and coffee/tea, and then, after you finish your work and such, go crazy and overeat. Organic and whole foods are encouraged, to get away from the estrogen-producing chemicals involved in the hormone-full conventional meat and dairy and pesticides on stuff. Has a really interesting historical chapter on health and fitness in ancient roman and greek ...more
Y
The author may somehow make this diet work for him, but a whole lot of advice in the book just doesn't seem sound and goes against a lot of more contemporary healthy eating guides. The fact that the author uses variations of the phrase "I believe" as opposed to listing proper studies about some tip or another, time and time again, doesn't really fill me with confidence.

There may be some good advice here and there, but generally always starving (constant fasting) yourself just doesn't sound like
Mladenius
Some nice ideas, but generally full of broscience, pseudoscience and doubtful historical data and claims
Main problem with Warrior Diet is that we don't know for sure how ancient civilization ate and drink, we know only something
I got impression that good part of the book is written on asumptions and not real data and science
Also very expensive and difficult diet regime to maintain - you have to starve whole day, eat only organic food, and buy expensive supplements which author conveniently sells
Trevor Pardy
It's a thought provoking book. Much of the information is not referenced, but at the same time much of the information can be looked at from a historical perspective which did give it some relevance. This book coincides with other intermittent fasting books I have read. The biggest difference being adding live foods throughout the day (veggies,fruit, and their juices), and small portions of protein if needed.
Bro. Dave
Good info on the importance of fasting. Honestly, not sure there is anything additionally beneficial beyond reading a qualified paleo ( or similar ) type nutritional book. There are a lot of distractions beyond diet information. The exercise info is relevant, but there are better resources on high intensity training. Some good concepts, but a lot of, "in my opinion" as the source of information on a diet that is working well for him and some others.
Martin
Oct 31, 2014 Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If this was a book on marketing pseudoscience to impressionable consumers I would've given it 5 stars. Lots of "warrior/spartan" etc romanticism some of which is downright false. I believe fasting itself is a great tool, but this method wasn't effective for me. I lift weights and jog daily. If you're interested in fasting without the warrior mumbo jumbo and line of supplements being pushed behind it, check out Leangains or Eat-Stop-Eat.
Dan
Aug 25, 2008 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book in so far as the personality of the author (an irrepressible Dutchman) shines through every word, saturating it with his zeal and enthusiasm.

His nutritional recommendations are questionable, particularly his meal strategy, though the overall paleo guided food choices are a step in the right direction.

Not a perfect single source for those interested in nutrition, but a good read and a decent book to add to the shelf.
Mike Ford
Interesting concept, but I wish he used more citations. A lot of his claims are just hunches (i.e. saying "I truly feel" before making a statement regarding the validity of the Warrior Diet). That being said, the Warrior Diet does make intuitive sense, but I prefer to see scientific claims backed by science, especially before making any changes to something as important as my diet.
Cody Ray
Aug 10, 2014 Cody Ray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finally gave up. I stopped reading at Chapter 6 with the intent to pick it back up. Well, I've renewed this library book far too many times and finally had to admit it; I wasn't going to finish it.

tl;dr - Alternate undereating and overeating. The author "creatively" finds a multitude of ways to say this, ad infinitum.
Carlos Rosales
Apr 14, 2013 Carlos Rosales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most things about good diet and nutrition are repeated on here plus a glimpse at Greek and Roman and few others history to further explain why he chooses to eat like them. Not sure how accurate all that is but it makes sense. Overall its a interesting and entertaining book. You might even find somethings you did not know about nutrition, I know I did.
Ivan Soto
The first 2/3 of the book, approximately, deal with the warrior diet: the concept of eating only one major meal a day, at the end of the day. The rest presents a number of exercises to increase "warrior" fitness. It's an interesting idea that I've assimilated into my routine, with some modification to adapt to the activities of each day.
Simon Howe
May 18, 2014 Simon Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Not only does this book give detailed information on the types of food for healthy living but recommends the lifestyle that should be adopted for maximum human performance as demonstrated by our human ancestors.
Cloupakis
Oct 18, 2016 Cloupakis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could of been better written. Don't feel the diet is bad cause of a mediocre write up. The guy isn't a writer. Almost doing two months and happy with it. Expected crazier and quicker results but I. Is working
Maria Frank
Definitely an interesting approach to eating patterns, and he does make some valid points. For my own personal goals, I follow a much more relaxed IF split, but it was definitely worth browsing through this book.
Štěpán
May 05, 2014 Štěpán rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strava
Nebylo by to špatný, kdyby se tolik neopakoval (tak ono jak jinak roztáhnout myšlenku "Žerte jednou denně" na 400 stránek). A i by mě to lákalo zkusit, nebejt toho množství tabletek co do sebe cpe.
Kevin
Mar 19, 2009 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Not scientifically backed up. Very little good reasoning on the actual topic.
Brett's Books
Tough diet, concisely described, and just might work with some self control on the evening meal after having not eaten all day!
Eric van Dalen
I've been eating as outlined in this book since before I finished it.
  • Enter The Kettlebell! Strength Secret of The Soviet Supermen
  • Eat. Stop. Eat
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • The Men's Health Home Workout Bible
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Gorgeous: A Nutritionist's Guide to Living Well While Living It Up
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman's Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
  • The Best Of Clean Eating: Over 200 Mouthwatering Recipes To Keep You Lean And Healthy
  • Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!
  • Superlife
  • Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life--and How You Can Get Back on Track
  • Convict Conditioning 2: Advanced Prison Training Tactics for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss, and Bulletproof Joints
  • The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners

“Food and sex have been bound together for a long time. I guess this is due to the intimate connection between the two most powerful instincts that predominate in life: the instinct to survive and the instinct to multiply. Nourishment and sex give us a great sense of pleasure. Having the wisdom to satisfy both desires—for food and sex—is the art of living well. I truly believe that this wisdom lies within us all.” 4 likes
“Just as a warrior must anticipate his enemy’s behavior and reactions and understand the dangers, and just as a hunter must know the behavior patterns of animals that he hunts, in order for us to heal, to achieve and maintain a state of mental and physical health,we must be in touch with our body and be aware of the symptoms of illness. Our ability to heal, and the healing process itself, should never be taken for granted. Vanity often keeps us from accepting that we’ll all inevitably face cycles of being weaker and stronger,sicker and healthier.” 1 likes