Start by marking “A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)

A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A young woman is found murdered in a small English town, while the main suspect has spent the night drinking, and denies any involvement. It looks like an easily solved case for Detective Inspector Lloyd and Sergeant Judy Hill, but it soon proves more complex than they originally thought.
Paperback
Published January 11th 1991 by Not Avail (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Match

Mary Ronan Drew
"I didn't mean to!"

That's all Chris, who stumbled into his friends' house drunk and disheveled, would say. "I didn't mean to!"

Didn't mean to what? That question becomes more than curiosity to Helen and Donald Mitchell when the police come calling to report a woman was murdered the night before after quarreling with Donald and leaving with Chris.

This first of Jill McGown's Lloyd and Hill mysteries was published in 1983. It has a clever twist, but I figured out who did the murder and how it was
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
This is a relatively short book (189 pages) and I read it in a few hours. However, it was a good one, nicely written, good characters for a series and even though I sussed out who the killer was eventually, I was still left with a surprise in the "how". The main characters here are D.I. Lloyd ( no christian name mentioned, because he likes it that way) and D.S. Judy Hill. These two have a history of sorts and worked together many years before. Judy Hill moved away for a time and is now working w ...more
Damaskcat
Detective Inspector Lloyd and Detective Sergeant Judy Hill are sent to investigate when a woman’s body is found face down in a boating lake which she happens to own following the death of her wealthy husband. At first it seems obvious that a man who is missing is probably the murderer but as the pair dig deeper they realise that they are as far from solving the case as they were when they started.

I enjoyed this well written crime novel. Hill and Lloyd make a good team and the plot is reasonably
Elizabeth
I read a Lloyd and Hill mystery previously and liked it. It is a good thing I did not read this one first or else I would have probably not read another. One of my biggest complaints with mysteries is when the author lets you get inside the head of the murder but you - the reader - don't know it. It seems to me when that happens the author is using a cheap trick to confuse the reader. Give me the facts. Tell me the story and if I guess who did it, well then dear author you did not do you job. Or ...more
Gary Van Cott
2.5 stars rounded up. I didn't think this was an especially good debut mystery. A bit confusing with very little happening throughout. I read a different edition than what is listed here. Published in the UK by Pan Books in 1991. The cover is different then any shown. Since it has a big sticker on it (ILL from Palmer, Alaska!) I am unable to scan it.
Lynn
A Perfect Match is the 1st book in the Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sgt. Judy Hill police procedural series. A wealthy widow is found murdered in a boating park in Stansfield, England. The person who was last seen with her has disappeared. Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sgt. Judy Hill are called in to investigate the murder.

The book started out slowly for me but found as I progressed the pace and my interest picked up. By the end, I was interested in reading the next book Murder At the Old Vicarage (aka
Kirsty Darbyshire

Small, but pretty well formed. I liked the look of a couple of the later books in the Lloyd & Hill series but received advice that the character development was such that it was a series worth making the effort to read in order so I've started at the first book.

There's a good plot, nothing too deep or complicated, just enough complexity for a two hundred page book in fact. You don't feel like things are being dragged out or too much is being squeezed into the last few pages. I like both the

Gareth Evans
Short, but perfectly formed police procedural. Good pace and well plotted. A little gem.
Pam
A PERFECT MATCH by Jill McGown
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 1983, 186 pgs
CHARACTERS: Detective Inspector Lloyd & Detective Sergeant Judy Hill
TIME/PLACE: 1980's; UK
COMMENTS: 1st in the Lloyd & Hill poloice procedural series. Donald & Helen have been married for 26 yrs & Donald has been seeing other women. Helen strikes up a friendship w/ a younger man. The widow of Donald's recently deceased brother shows up dead in their small town. Helen's friend is the last on
Lea Anne
This book was ho-hum.
JoyfulK
McGown's series presents police procedurals in a new light. The mysteries are hard-edged; the two ongoing characters extremely likeable. The overarching plot of their lives ties all the mysteries together, so ideally, read these in order. The settings, in and around a small town in an industrial area of England, also attract me.
Elissa
2.5 stars. The storyline was good, it was suspenseful, and the characters were decent. But the writing was so awful, I almost stopped reading it several times. I might try another in the series to see if her writing got better.
Liz
This was a reread for me, and I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than the first time I read it. Having read the rest of the series, it was interesting to see LLoyd/Hill at the beginning of their relationship.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read and enjoyed this years ago. The main characters, Chief Inspector Lloyd and Inspector Judy Hill, are imperfect and engaging, and make a great team.
Cindy
This dragged from the get-go, I didn't finish it, it was boring to me.
Kim
Good first book in the series. Looking forward to reading more of them.
Sherry
May 16, 2011 Sherry added it
Have returned it to library. Didn't catch my fancy.
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Anne-lie
Anne-lie marked it as to-read
Harry Tomos
Harry Tomos marked it as to-read
Dragana
Dragana marked it as to-read
Kathleen Horst
Kathleen Horst marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Musele
Musele marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Amanda Waltman parker
Amanda Waltman parker marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Pat C.
Pat C. marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Tuulevi
Tuulevi marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Death Wore White (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #1)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1)
  • Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1)
  • Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • The Killings At Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #1)
  • Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1)
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more
More about Jill McGown...
Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2) Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3) A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7) Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #9) The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)