Start by marking “Traitor” as Want to Read:

Traitor

An enemy is hiding in Annas barn - a Russian prisoner of war on the run from the Nazis. Only Anna knows he's there. If she turns him in, he'll be shot. But if she hides him, she'll be a traitor to Germany. And for that, she could be shot herself
Published November 30th 2006 by Carolrhoda Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Traitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traitor

Ruth
Aug 30, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
I loved this book up until the end. The ending is what made me give Traitor four stars instead of five. First of all, let me just say that Traitor is one of the first books I've read that's from the view point of the Germans during World War II. Usually when I think about WWII, I think of the suffering of the Jews in concentration camps. But what about the Germans? Did they ever oppose to Hitler's brainwashing? Did they ever stop and think how much the war caused the suffering of so many people? ...more
Kyndal
Dec 10, 2014 Kyndal rated it really liked it
I thought traitor was a good book. It had a nice combination of romance, history, and even some action in it. The story did not bore me or make me lose my interest in it, and I never felt compelled to quit reading it.I recommend this book to someone who likes historical fiction. It opened my eyes about how people's political views do not define their integrity. This story involved symbolism in which the relationship between the female lead and the soldier she took care of stood for the peace tha ...more
Laurie
May 28, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Amazing but heavy. I am once again impressed with this author.
Devon Stuhlsatz
Jan 21, 2014 Devon Stuhlsatz marked it as to-read
Devon Stuhlsatz
My book, “Traitor,” by, Gudrun Pausewang, would be a great book for anyone wanting to "feel" one of the worst times in the history of humanity. This is because my book tells a fictional story, about the factual time of The Holocaust. It gives relating events to some of the things that happened in the Holocaust. It also shows feelings of unrest, deception, sadness, and grief, which are all proper feelings that were felt among the time of World War II and The Holocaust.
In c
Leah
Jan 25, 2009 Leah rated it did not like it
It had a very, very horrible ending.
Donna
This isn't my first time reading a translated book. I've read both good and bad and usually, regardless of what it is, something's missing. It's the natural act of translating. Only the original language can hold the beauty the story was meant to portray. The thing is, with Traitor, hardly anything's lost. Yeah, there's some off punctuation, no doubt carried over from the original German. But the beauty? The emotion? The gut-wrenching feeling that kept me turning the pages? Oh yeah. All there. D ...more
Rachel
Apr 10, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Review written for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
Traitor is a suspenseful and poignant novel set in tumultuous Nazi Germany. When sixteen-year-old Anna decides to hide a Russian fugitive, she never imagines her life could change so instantaneously. Soon she is caught in a dizzying web of lies, outwardly stealing provisions for the Russian and inwardly questioning everything she was taught. Anna’s agonizing emotional and mental struggle make this novel very difficult to put down.

Writ
Lucille
There is something that I absolutely love about a novel set in World War II that is told from the perspective of a German. I've always had a thing for hearing every side of the story, and I feel like people don't recognize that not everyone in Germany was a Nazi. There were people that resisted and people who endangered themselves to do the right thing.
Anna is a teenage girl in Nazi germany. Her mother runs an inn and her brother is a devout member of the Hitler Youth. One day, Anna finds a Rus
Alex Baugh
Feb 28, 2011 Alex Baugh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-2
Traitor begins in the winter of 1944. Anna Brünner, 16, lives in Stiegnitz, a small village, with her mother and grandmother, not exactly Nazi supporters, and her younger brother Felix, member of the Hitler Youth and completely indoctrinated in National Socialist dogma. Older brother Seff is fighting at the Eastern front. Anna's father, Felix Brünner, had been a conjuror with a traveling circus before marrying her mother, and had committed suicide when Anna was still a baby.

During the week, Anna
Jenni
Jul 15, 2014 Jenni rated it liked it
I had never read anything by the author before, so I gave this a chance without any thoughts about previous books... Personally, I thought that this was a good story about WW2 from the perspective of a German child narrator hiding a Russian. I liked the fact that she wanted to do the right thing and help him, but was afraid by rumors that she'd be shot at. My only improvement would be that this was a more complex and in depth novel as the language was quite very-small-child-like.
Colton Anderson
Nov 16, 2015 Colton Anderson rated it really liked it
Traitor by Gudrun Pausewang is a great book about a girl that finds a Russian prisoner in her barn while she is secretly holding this man she has to go through all the horror that she might die of the man she is hold might die.

I liked this book because of how suspenseful it was the main character Anna is my favorite because of how brave she is to hold a mans life where he will be shot or she will.

I recommend this book to the fans of the Hunger Games and I Survived.
Jordan Pratt
Feb 02, 2014 Jordan Pratt rated it liked it
I was looking into the 'Multi-Cultural' genre when I found this book. The book started out confusing and I could never really get a good grip on what the book was trying to tell me. It just seemed very patchy. Maybe I was just interpreting it the wrong way. At the end of the book, I didn't really feel "wowed" or anything, it was just a fairly boring book. I do not recommend this book to anyone that likes books with a strong theme, but if you're into more slow paced books, this might be for you!
Hannah
Nov 29, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it
An interesting plot with likable characters, it was a good book.

I had some issues with it.
I think the beautiful art of the written word was lost in translation. For those of you who don't know, this book was originally written in German. It had some awkward diction usage, and don't even get me started on the obsessive, verging on inappropriate use of "!". I wish someone paid me a dollar for every time the main character exclaimed something like, "Oh, how sad!" or "How very happy I am!" *groan*
Jessica D
Sep 05, 2016 Jessica D rated it really liked it
Just. My heart. In the beginning I was a little bit wary of the book; it seemed simplistic.

But some books just WORK that way. This book hit me in the form of a simple wooden stake to the heart.

BECAUSE OF THAT ENDING. I WISH I HAD NEVER READ THAT BOOK, THE PAIN IT HAS CAUSED ME.

Nuff said.
Dan Silvernail
May 27, 2016 Dan Silvernail rated it it was ok
This was an "OK" book it had a lot of confusing topics and the way it was written itself was confusing.The book had a very bad beginning in my opinion,it didnt hook me what so ever,I had to jump into the third or fourth chapter and reread to bear it.
Lisa
May 24, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
I think this book would be better if read in its original version (German). The ending was hard to take, as many others have noted, but it is the part that stays with you and makes you keep thinking about it and the realities of war.
Alison
Feb 19, 2009 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The end really killed this book for me, but let me first discuss it's merits. I certainly think it is important to distinguish Germans from Nazis, and discuss that not all German citizens agreed with Nazism, especially the children that were forced to endure it through no fault of their own. Many young lives were punished just for being born under the regime.

The end involving Anna's fanatical brother is a bit much, but I understand the author's wanting to warn against the dangers of brainwashin
Alfonso Banks
Dec 08, 2013 Alfonso Banks rated it liked it
Recommended to Alfonso by: GMHS
Shelves: traitor
The book started off slow but by the end of the first chapter you know something is going to happen when Anna Brunner sees footprints in the snow. Anna is the main character and the book takes place during World War II in the small town of Siegnitz Russia. I was not initially excited to read the book but by the time I got into it on Saturday morning I was able to finish the book before late afternoon. I liked Anna, I think she is witty, very smart and cunning. I thought she was a heroine and she ...more
Angie Peña
at the end i felt like something was missed in my life.. I love it.
Tina Milledge
Sep 19, 2016 Tina Milledge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't expect that ending!
Shayla
Jul 08, 2012 Shayla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A great book that kept me captivated throughout the entirety of the novel. It is interesting to read a novel placed during WWll from the German side of things. Most books in this catagory are from the Allies side of the war. A truely memorable book. The one quote i will always remember from within the pages of "Traitor", is "In war there is neither good or evil."
Shannon
Jul 22, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The book is a dark story of a young women living in Germany near the end of WWII. She has to make the ultimate decision of what to do when she finds an escaped Russian prisoner in her family's barn. You know any story dealing with these matters will end darkly, but jeez, it was a little too rough for my tastes.
Amanda McCrina
May 27, 2013 Amanda McCrina rated it it was ok
Shelves: wwii, young-adult
Unfortunately this one didn't quite live up to my expectations. Too much telling rather than showing, and a lot of heavy-handed moralizing. None of the characters are likable or have any depth. The narration is much too simplistic and childish, which makes the handling of the very mature themes clumsy and ineffective. Disappointing.
Camille
Apr 01, 2009 Camille rated it it was ok
i am unsure about this book. I really did like it, but the ending wasn't so great. I liked the idea and the conflicts that happened, I was very curious to see how it was going to end without death of any kind. Oh well, I could have been better, but it was alright, until the ending...
Barbara Lovejoy
May 18, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I saw it on my GF Suzi Ramos's list. The subject of the book interested me. I couldn't put the book down but was shocked by the ending. It wasn't at all what I expected. This book reminded me of the book Summer of My German Soldier.
Gabriele Goldstone
Mar 03, 2012 Gabriele Goldstone rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this in the original German and can't put it down. 7/8ths of the way through and now, after reading these reviews about the horrible ending - I'm scared. The tension in this book is so well-crafted. She's an excellent writer.
Kevin
Mar 19, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, germany
When Anna finds a fugitive Russian soldier in the barn of her village home in Stiegnitz, Germany, at the end of 1944, she hides him in a bunker in the countryside, though she could be shot for sheltering the enemy.

Chelsea M
Aug 13, 2016 Chelsea M rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-log
Catie Rogers
Oct 14, 2013 Catie Rogers rated it did not like it
I hated this book, let me rephrase. I liked the story behind it but really hated the writing tendencies. And I fully understand that it was translated, but did anyone proof read this book !
Molly
Mar 03, 2014 Molly rated it it was amazing
AMAZING
  • Bird
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • Stolen Child
  • His Name Was Raoul Wallenberg
  • Guys Like Girls Who . . .
  • One Candle
  • A Shirtful of Frogs
  • Nacht
  • On a Theatre of Marionettes
  • Die Erzählungen
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • An Innocent Soldier
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • Nero Corleone
  • Boxes for Katje
  • We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolf Hitler
  • Benno and the Night of Broken Glass
Gudrun Pausewang is a German writer for children and teens. She is also noted in science fiction for Young-Adult novels like The Last Children of Schewenborn.

Gudrun Pausewang was born in Eastern Bohemia of German ancestry and after World War II her family settled in the former West Germany. She later became a teacher and taught in Germany's foreign school services in South America. She has won sev
More about Gudrun Pausewang...