3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  33 reviews
An enemy is hiding in Annas barna Russian prisoner of war on the run from the Nazis. Only Anna knows hes there. If she turns him in, hell be shot. But if she hides him, shell be a traitor to Germany. And for that, she could be shot herself
Published September 15th 2006 by Carolrhoda Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Traitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traitor

Ruth
I loved this book up until the end. The ending is what made me give Traitor four stars instead of five. First of all, let me just say that Traitor is one of the first books I've read that's from the view point of the Germans during World War II. Usually when I think about WWII, I think of the suffering of the Jews in concentration camps. But what about the Germans? Did they ever oppose to Hitler's brainwashing? Did they ever stop and think how much the war caused the suffering of so many people?...more
Laurie
Amazing but heavy. I am once again impressed with this author.
Devon Stuhlsatz
Jan 21, 2014 Devon Stuhlsatz marked it as to-read
Devon Stuhlsatz
My book, “Traitor,” by, Gudrun Pausewang, would be a great book for anyone wanting to "feel" one of the worst times in the history of humanity. This is because my book tells a fictional story, about the factual time of The Holocaust. It gives relating events to some of the things that happened in the Holocaust. It also shows feelings of unrest, deception, sadness, and grief, which are all proper feelings that were felt among the time of World War II and The Holocaust.
In c...more
Leah
It had a very, very horrible ending.
Donna
This isn't my first time reading a translated book. I've read both good and bad and usually, regardless of what it is, something's missing. It's the natural act of translating. Only the original language can hold the beauty the story was meant to portray. The thing is, with Traitor, hardly anything's lost. Yeah, there's some off punctuation, no doubt carried over from the original German. But the beauty? The emotion? The gut-wrenching feeling that kept me turning the pages? Oh yeah. All there. D...more
Rachel
Review written for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
Traitor is a suspenseful and poignant novel set in tumultuous Nazi Germany. When sixteen-year-old Anna decides to hide a Russian fugitive, she never imagines her life could change so instantaneously. Soon she is caught in a dizzying web of lies, outwardly stealing provisions for the Russian and inwardly questioning everything she was taught. Anna’s agonizing emotional and mental struggle make this novel very difficult to put down.

Writ...more
Lucille
There is something that I absolutely love about a novel set in World War II that is told from the perspective of a German. I've always had a thing for hearing every side of the story, and I feel like people don't recognize that not everyone in Germany was a Nazi. There were people that resisted and people who endangered themselves to do the right thing.
Anna is a teenage girl in Nazi germany. Her mother runs an inn and her brother is a devout member of the Hitler Youth. One day, Anna finds a Rus...more
Alex Baugh
Traitor begins in the winter of 1944. Anna Brünner, 16, lives in Stiegnitz, a small village, with her mother and grandmother, not exactly Nazi supporters, and her younger brother Felix, member of the Hitler Youth and completely indoctrinated in National Socialist dogma. Older brother Seff is fighting at the Eastern front. Anna's father, Felix Brünner, had been a conjuror with a traveling circus before marrying her mother, and had committed suicide when Anna was still a baby.

During the week, Anna...more
Jenni
I had never read anything by the author before, so I gave this a chance without any thoughts about previous books... Personally, I thought that this was a good story about WW2 from the perspective of a German child narrator hiding a Russian. I liked the fact that she wanted to do the right thing and help him, but was afraid by rumors that she'd be shot at. My only improvement would be that this was a more complex and in depth novel as the language was quite very-small-child-like.
Jordan Pratt
I was looking into the 'Multi-Cultural' genre when I found this book. The book started out confusing and I could never really get a good grip on what the book was trying to tell me. It just seemed very patchy. Maybe I was just interpreting it the wrong way. At the end of the book, I didn't really feel "wowed" or anything, it was just a fairly boring book. I do not recommend this book to anyone that likes books with a strong theme, but if you're into more slow paced books, this might be for you!
Hannah
An interesting plot with likable characters, it was a good book.

I had some issues with it.
I think the beautiful art of the written word was lost in translation. For those of you who don't know, this book was originally written in German. It had some awkward diction usage, and don't even get me started on the obsessive, verging on inappropriate use of "!". I wish someone paid me a dollar for every time the main character exclaimed something like, "Oh, how sad!" or "How very happy I am!" *groan*...more
Lisa
I think this book would be better if read in its original version (German). The ending was hard to take, as many others have noted, but it is the part that stays with you and makes you keep thinking about it and the realities of war.
Alison
Feb 19, 2009 Alison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
The end really killed this book for me, but let me first discuss it's merits. I certainly think it is important to distinguish Germans from Nazis, and discuss that not all German citizens agreed with Nazism, especially the children that were forced to endure it through no fault of their own. Many young lives were punished just for being born under the regime.

The end involving Anna's fanatical brother is a bit much, but I understand the author's wanting to warn against the dangers of brainwashin...more
Alfonso Banks
Dec 08, 2013 Alfonso Banks rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alfonso by: GMHS
Shelves: traitor
The book started off slow but by the end of the first chapter you know something is going to happen when Anna Brunner sees footprints in the snow. Anna is the main character and the book takes place during World War II in the small town of Siegnitz Russia. I was not initially excited to read the book but by the time I got into it on Saturday morning I was able to finish the book before late afternoon. I liked Anna, I think she is witty, very smart and cunning. I thought she was a heroine and she...more
Shayla
Jul 08, 2012 Shayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
A great book that kept me captivated throughout the entirety of the novel. It is interesting to read a novel placed during WWll from the German side of things. Most books in this catagory are from the Allies side of the war. A truely memorable book. The one quote i will always remember from within the pages of "Traitor", is "In war there is neither good or evil."
Shannon
I really enjoyed this book. The book is a dark story of a young women living in Germany near the end of WWII. She has to make the ultimate decision of what to do when she finds an escaped Russian prisoner in her family's barn. You know any story dealing with these matters will end darkly, but jeez, it was a little too rough for my tastes.
Amanda McCrina
Unfortunately this one didn't quite live up to my expectations. Too much telling rather than showing, and a lot of heavy-handed moralizing. None of the characters are likable or have any depth. The narration is much too simplistic and childish, which makes the handling of the very mature themes clumsy and ineffective. Disappointing.
Camille
i am unsure about this book. I really did like it, but the ending wasn't so great. I liked the idea and the conflicts that happened, I was very curious to see how it was going to end without death of any kind. Oh well, I could have been better, but it was alright, until the ending...
Barbara Lovejoy
I read this book when I saw it on my GF Suzi Ramos's list. The subject of the book interested me. I couldn't put the book down but was shocked by the ending. It wasn't at all what I expected. This book reminded me of the book Summer of My German Soldier.
Gabriele Goldstone
I'm reading this in the original German and can't put it down. 7/8ths of the way through and now, after reading these reviews about the horrible ending - I'm scared. The tension in this book is so well-crafted. She's an excellent writer.
Kevin
When Anna finds a fugitive Russian soldier in the barn of her village home in Stiegnitz, Germany, at the end of 1944, she hides him in a bunker in the countryside, though she could be shot for sheltering the enemy.

Catie Rogers
I hated this book, let me rephrase. I liked the story behind it but really hated the writing tendencies. And I fully understand that it was translated, but did anyone proof read this book !
Carolyn
Don't be so naive, dumb protagonist. I couldn't finish this book due to the lack of intelligence in the characters. It's got nothing on other books about this topic.
Amber Garabrandt
I really liked this book! While it dragged in afew areas, the story had a great flow towards the end.
Gabi
Feb 16, 2012 Gabi marked it as to-read
So long traitor. Hope we meet again. I'm sorry that I can't finish you. I'll try to read you some other time.
Emma
This book was amazingly shocking. Its shows a view of WW 2 I`d never thought of
Timothy
Good thrilling book, only problem is the open and unhappy ending
Edward Sullivan
Another stunning World War II novel from Pausewang.
Vergissmeinnicht.un2814level4
One of the best books about WWII I've read in a long time.
Gudrun Pausewang is a German writer for children and teens. She is also noted in science fiction for Young-Adult novels like The Last Children of Schewenborn.

Gudrun Pausewang was born in Eastern Bohemia of German ancestry and after World War II her family settled in the former West Germany. She later became a teacher and taught in Germany's foreign school services in South America. She has won sev...more
More about Gudrun Pausewang...
Die Wolke Die letzten Kinder von Schewenborn The Final Journey Dark Hours Der Schlund