All For One

All For One

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Mary Austin is the kind of teacher that parents adore and children wish for. Firm and compassionate, a guiding light in their lives, she would do anything to protect her students.

To reveal the kille...more
Published September 24th 2010 by Schmuck & Underwood

Kristy
Descriptive word #1: INTENSE. Descriptive word #2: RIVETING. Descriptive word #3: CREEPY. Honestly, if I could have read this book in one sitting without putting it down for things like food and sleep, I would have...it was that interesting. That being said though, my final opinion of the book is not "oh wow! This was great!! Everyone read it!" Um, no. It was disturbing in a way that will stay with me for awhile. And I'm still not positive if "Mandy" is just a double personality thing or a demon...more
Elaine
What appears to be isn’t always so simple and loyalty has never been more costly. Guy Edmond, the heinous overgrown, too-old-for-sixth-grade bully isn’t just bullying his classmates, he’s also terrorizing many others in and around the neighborhood. From his smallest classmate to the disfigured war veteran, he’s bothered his last victim and no one is speaking. All are happy though that the problem is gone.

Detective Dooley isn’t from the area and therefore should be considered a stranger to the 6...more
Larry Enright
Sometimes things can get complicated. Life is like that. You never really plan for it, you never hope for it, and you never really know quite how to handle it. When something does happen, something unexpected, you make a choice and you live with it. Maybe your choice wasn’t the best. Maybe you could have done things differently. But you made it, you can’t undo it, and the next part is living with its consequences.

That, from my reading of All for One, is the essence of this wonderfully written...more
Christa
Tragic and tender

The cruel school bully gets killed. Six children discover his body, one of them may have murdered him. Detective Dooley Ashe, the Kiddie Catcher, tries to uncover the truth. Mary, the children’s teacher, would do anything to protect them. With different goals in mind, Dooley and Mary form an uneasy alliance. As the story progresses to its tragic end, both Dooley and Mary are confronted with demons from their past.

As one of the reviewers pointed out, All for One is in part a sto...more
Eric
May 11, 2012 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, mystery readers
Recommended to Eric by: Amazon Kindle Lending Library
Shelves: mysteries
This wasn't one of those "OH THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I EVER READ" type of books, but it was entertaining. Sometimes a book doesn't have to be a high-brow read. Sometimes it is a book that you just want to read for a bit of downtime between something more serious. The main issue I had with this book was that the writer made it fairly obvious from almost the beginning what was going on. I predicted what had happened almost 5% into the book and even told my partner so that someone would know I wasn't...more
Tonya
Finished reading this book - what a great book - a group of school kids that band together to protect one of their own when a school bully is found murdered at their school.

The kids make a pact to stick together to protect one of their own, one that may have killed this bully. Their school teacher would do anything to protect her students and believes in their innocence. The police bring in the well known kiddie catcher, a man ready to retire and fighting his own demons from a past case that con...more
Jayme Langhorst
It was an interesting mystery/mild thriller. Very disturbing, but that's to be expected. The first part read like a Lifetime movie screenplay. Parts 2 and 3 were better. I had the story kind of figured out two thirds of the way through, but the second half the book was better written in my opinion than the first half. The thoughts within thoughts were annoying. I wish the author had left those out b/c it didn't add anything to the story.

Halfway through, I would have rated the book a 2, but it g...more
Jacqui
This book had an interesting story but I never got to a point where I *cared* about the characters much. I made myself finish the book to see if it ended like I thought it would. And it did. I'm not always the best at solving mysteries but I had the killer figured out within the first few pages and I saw the twist coming way in advance so neither was a true breathtaking surprise.
Lynda Kelly
And so another good story bites the dust and I delete in disgust all for the matter of some basic proofreading or editing. It makes me so mad......it's just a total waste of time. Yes, I've found some hidden gems in among the free downloads I find for my Kindle but I'd say for every good one I probably plough my way through a couple of dozen bad. Not terrific odds.
THIS one was a good story and I'd have had a lot of positive words to describe it were I not worn down and totally cheesed off at 35%...more
Pat
Really good read--but kept getting darker & darker.
The darkest secrets we keep even from ourselves...

But that loyalty is tested when the school's sadistic bully is found dead on campus, and suspicion falls on six children in her class. None willing to talk. To point the finger. To reveal the killer.

Faced with this,...more
Recommend Book Reviews
Plot: Six children are investigated in the murder of the school bully. All of their prints were on the murder weapon and ‘Kiddie Catcher’ Detective Dooley comes in to try to solve it. Their teacher, Miss Austin, is protective of the children and has her own internal struggle about the kids. Love the premise of the story. That’s why I picked it up.

Characters:: Detective Dooley apparently has no one checking in on him the entire book. He sleeps with someone involved in the case, he is nearly kille...more
Joni
Wow! Excellent thriller. A small town police department borrows a self-imposed retired police detective to help solve a crime in a school. The sadistic bully of the school is found dead on campus and suspicion falls on six students in a popular teacher's class, all of whom refuse to talk. Lots of twists and turns, a really good read.
Gina
I enjoyed this book. Even though I had things figured out from the beginning the author did a good job creating enough suspense to make me sometimes second guess myself. The story's focus is on the murder of a school bully and how the bullied students and their exceptional teacher band together to protect one another. Unfortunately, while everyone is so busy protecting one another, everyone ends up a victim. It left me questioning a couple of things at the end, but I thought it was a good storyl...more
Lee
Truly creepy story, partially because it involves young, impressionable minds being affected in very dark (and, in some cases, very enlightened) ways by figures of authority. The author goes great lengths to not employ stereotypes, making each character in the story unique in some way - something I take to very readily since we all are truly unique!

There were a few things characters did that I'm not sure they would have done even given the situation and I believe it is the author's job to earn...more
Irene
Though quite interesting, I think it went I bit too long. I figured it out a bit early, but it still heals my interest. There were many errors. It needs to be proofread and corrected.
Lisa Wightman
I really really wanted to like this book but found that I didn't... Why? I'm not entirely sure... The premise of the story was great, but I was never drawn into the story or the characters. I just didn't care enough. The writing style didn't flow for me either, especially the thoughts within thoughts. I found that aspect of the book both distracting and annoying. I had also worked out the ending before a quarter of the way into the book, which sometimes doesn't matter, hey, we all know the endin...more
Myrna Miller
It was a fascinating book about some sixth grade friends, their beloved teacher and the class bully. The murder of the class bully was the foundation of the story but there were other issues dealt with in each of the main characters lives. The detective and the class teacher develop a relationship fairly early in the story.

The family of the class bully were definitely enablers making his behavior understandable but not excusable.

Some of the sentence structure was strange and I noticed some miss...more
Jennifer Moe
This was an excellent book with a plot twist that I did not see coming. I started wondering somewhere in the middle where the author was taking this story, but couldn't have guessed how it would all turn out. I wish there had been more information provided about what happened to the kids, and I would have liked to know what happened to Chester, as well. I will definitely be reading more books by Ryne Douglas Pearson and would recommend "All For One" to anybody thinking about reading it.
Eric Krause
I really enjoyed this one. It gave me goosebumps in a couple of places, which doesn't happen often. It was a police procedural/detective/mystery book that also had hints of possible supernatural occurrences throughout, which hooked me. There were quite a number of twists throughout that I didn't see coming. I thought I had the murderer pegged a few times, but I didn't see the truth until the author wanted me to. Overall, I'd say give this one a read; you won't be disappointed.
Val Wilkerson
Mary seemed to be the perfect teacher, the children in her class had all improved in their studies, in their social interaction, and they loved their teacher. When one of the boys in her class is found murdered, 5 of Mary's students are suspects.....

It only got 2 stars from me because it was a bit on the dark side for me. I don't like to think of children this young capable of murder I guess.....even though maybe they didn't do it????
Ed Scott
Excellent drama. Storyline is about 6 pre-teen children who hide a secret about a 7th student who has been murdered with a baseball bat. The 6 strive to keep the secret, but being as young as they are, they start to crack. Will one spill the beans? Was one of the 6 the actual killer? But wait, there is a plot twist, of course. Actually figured out the ending about 2/3 of the way through but couldnt put the book down until the very end.
Madhuri
While not the best written book in my opinion it was written well for the story to portray how circumstance and character and loyalty can cause people to do things we never thought capable of.

This book made me question my judgements in people and myself on a few occasions and left me feeling a weird balance of content and disturbed.

But I'll never forget..."all for one" doesn't matter who is the one.
Nina Irwin
This is the second one by Pearson that I have read and I will definitely keep reading his books. All for One took me several days to read as it is a long story but a good one.

Friends go to bat for each other don't they? Just how far will this group of friends go to protect their own? I did suspect how and why but the actual ending was a surprise.
Antoinette Marion
Excellent plot and overall the book was very good. However, it is rather "dark" and "deep". Lots of characters and the author is a bit wordy, making it a labored read. It does hold your interest with some effort and was worth the effort. I felt the ending was a bit predictible, but my general overview is that this is a good read,
Mary Beth
Excellent plot but rather dark and heavy. The author employs "thoughts within thoughts" to give more insight into the characters but it came across as annoying and at times confusing. That being said it was a chilling read that gives you an uneasy feeling about the vulnerability of children.
Charlotte
The idea of the book is intriguing, but the execution of the story is lacking. There are odd and intrusive descriptions and long passages that do not really add to the story. It goes on for quite a long time once you figure out what is going on, and waiting for the end is almost interminable.
Frances Winslow
Apr 24, 2013 Frances Winslow rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery...those who might like a bit of the bizarre.
Recommended to Frances by: no one..Saw it on Kindle free.
Although it was anything but an uplifting read, I was compelled to keep turning the pages. Very dark... about sexual molestation, murder...A group of 11 year olds have a dark secret... It's an escape read..as stated before..not at all uplifting, downsliding would be a more appropriate description.
Pickleman
Starts out slow and makes one wonder why one would continue to proceed (reading). My patience was rewarded, however. The interest and readability picks up about 1/4 of the way through and continues on to the end. You'll be happy if you gerd your loins and continue to the end.
Kris Reicks
The storyline was fairly good and fast-moving (sometimes to the point that there appeared to be fragments of stories left from time to time. The end was very disappointing. Unfortunately I can't say why without putting in a spoiler. I felt very let down at the end of the book.
Christine Rivera
This book was a very slow read for me because it just didn't have enough to keep me truly interested. It did start to get better toward the end because there were a couple of interesting twists but overall I didn't really like it and wouldn't recommend it to friends.
  • Kane: A Kane Novel
  • Accidents Waiting to Happen
  • Ascension Day
  • Sins of the Father (Erin Solomon Mystery, #2)
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • The Dead Room
  • Cruel Justice (A Lorne Simpkins Thriller, #1)
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • Dead Wood
  • The Missings
  • Snowbound
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • Children of the Fog
  • The Ambassador's Wife  (Inspector Samuel Tay, #1)
  • The 24th Letter
  • The Advocate
  • Take No More (James Blake, #1)
Ryne Douglas Pearson is an accomplished novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of several novels, including Cloudburst, October's Ghost, Capitol Punishment, Simple Simon, Top Ten, The Donzerly Light, All For One, Confessions, and Cop Killer. He is also the author of the short story collection, Dark and Darker. His novel Simple Simon was made into the film Mercury Rising. As a screenwriter he...more
More about Ryne Douglas Pearson...
The Donzerly Light Top Ten Simple Simon Cloudburst Confessions