Start by marking “All for One” as Want to Read:
All for One

All for One

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  480 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
The darkest secrets we keep even from ourselves...
Mary Austin is the kind of teacher that parents adore and children wish for. Firm and compassionate, a guiding light in their lives, she would do anything to protect her students.

Published September 24th 2010 by Schmuck & Underwood

To ask other readers questions about All for One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All for One

Kristy
Descriptive word #1: INTENSE. Descriptive word #2: RIVETING. Descriptive word #3: CREEPY. Honestly, if I could have read this book in one sitting without putting it down for things like food and sleep, I would have...it was that interesting. That being said though, my final opinion of the book is not "oh wow! This was great!! Everyone read it!" Um, no. It was disturbing in a way that will stay with me for awhile. And I'm still not positive if "Mandy" is just a double personality thing or a demon ...more
Elaine
What appears to be isn’t always so simple and loyalty has never been more costly. Guy Edmond, the heinous overgrown, too-old-for-sixth-grade bully isn’t just bullying his classmates, he’s also terrorizing many others in and around the neighborhood. From his smallest classmate to the disfigured war veteran, he’s bothered his last victim and no one is speaking. All are happy though that the problem is gone.

Detective Dooley isn’t from the area and therefore should be considered a stranger to the 6
Larry Enright
Apr 03, 2011 Larry Enright rated it it was amazing
Sometimes things can get complicated. Life is like that. You never really plan for it, you never hope for it, and you never really know quite how to handle it. When something does happen, something unexpected, you make a choice and you live with it. Maybe your choice wasn’t the best. Maybe you could have done things differently. But you made it, you can’t undo it, and the next part is living with its consequences.

That, from my reading of All for One, is the essence of this wonderfully written
Christa
Sep 21, 2012 Christa rated it it was amazing
Tragic and tender

The cruel school bully gets killed. Six children discover his body, one of them may have murdered him. Detective Dooley Ashe, the Kiddie Catcher, tries to uncover the truth. Mary, the children’s teacher, would do anything to protect them. With different goals in mind, Dooley and Mary form an uneasy alliance. As the story progresses to its tragic end, both Dooley and Mary are confronted with demons from their past.

As one of the reviewers pointed out, All for One is in part a sto
Cassie
May 11, 2012 Cassie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, mystery readers
Recommended to Cassie by: Amazon Kindle Lending Library
Shelves: mysteries
This wasn't one of those "OH THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I EVER READ" type of books, but it was entertaining. Sometimes a book doesn't have to be a high-brow read. Sometimes it is a book that you just want to read for a bit of downtime between something more serious. The main issue I had with this book was that the writer made it fairly obvious from almost the beginning what was going on. I predicted what had happened almost 5% into the book and even told my partner so that someone would know I wasn't ...more
Lynda Kelly
Jul 16, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
And so another good story bites the dust and I delete in disgust all for the matter of some basic proofreading or editing. It makes me so mad......it's just a total waste of time. Yes, I've found some hidden gems in among the free downloads I find for my Kindle but I'd say for every good one I probably plough my way through a couple of dozen bad. Not terrific odds.
THIS one was a good story and I'd have had a lot of positive words to describe it were I not worn down and totally cheesed off at 35%
Tonya (My Family's Heart)
Aug 02, 2012 Tonya (My Family's Heart) rated it really liked it
Finished reading this book - what a great book - a group of school kids that band together to protect one of their own when a school bully is found murdered at their school.

The kids make a pact to stick together to protect one of their own, one that may have killed this bully. Their school teacher would do anything to protect her students and believes in their innocence. The police bring in the well known kiddie catcher, a man ready to retire and fighting his own demons from a past case that con
Jayme Langhorst
Apr 26, 2012 Jayme Langhorst rated it liked it
It was an interesting mystery/mild thriller. Very disturbing, but that's to be expected. The first part read like a Lifetime movie screenplay. Parts 2 and 3 were better. I had the story kind of figured out two thirds of the way through, but the second half the book was better written in my opinion than the first half. The thoughts within thoughts were annoying. I wish the author had left those out b/c it didn't add anything to the story.

Halfway through, I would have rated the book a 2, but it g
DMREAnne
Jul 19, 2016 DMREAnne rated it liked it
I love a mystery that keeps me guessing to the end, or at least lets me think I know who did it, then has a believable twist that undoes all my thinking at the end, making for an unexpected, but not out of no where ending. This book, unfortunately did not do either. I knew who did it from about 1/3 of the way through, and guessed correctly why the students did what they did with the bat. I just wasn't sure as to what caused the murderer to do what was done. The hints were so obvious that I was w ...more
Jacqui
Mar 20, 2012 Jacqui rated it it was ok
This book had an interesting story but I never got to a point where I *cared* about the characters much. I made myself finish the book to see if it ended like I thought it would. And it did. I'm not always the best at solving mysteries but I had the killer figured out within the first few pages and I saw the twist coming way in advance so neither was a true breathtaking surprise.
Bob
Jun 26, 2015 Bob rated it it was ok
This book had a pretty good premise, but the execution of the plot left a lot to be desired. A group of 'good kids' are suspects in the murder of the school bully. A detective is brought in who is an expert at getting kids to trust him and confess. Along the way, he falls for the kids' perfect teacher. The first half of the book is pretty good, but I had the book figured out at that point and it was just a matter of reading to the end to make sure my suspicions were correct. They were. So the se ...more
Pat
Dec 05, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Really good read--but kept getting darker & darker.
The darkest secrets we keep even from ourselves...

But that loyalty is tested when the school's sadistic bully is found dead on campus, and suspicion falls on six children in her class. None willing to talk. To point the finger. To reveal the killer.

Faced with this,
Recommend Book Reviews
Plot: Six children are investigated in the murder of the school bully. All of their prints were on the murder weapon and ‘Kiddie Catcher’ Detective Dooley comes in to try to solve it. Their teacher, Miss Austin, is protective of the children and has her own internal struggle about the kids. Love the premise of the story. That’s why I picked it up.

Characters:: Detective Dooley apparently has no one checking in on him the entire book. He sleeps with someone involved in the case, he is nearly kille
Joni
Jul 22, 2014 Joni rated it it was amazing
Wow! Excellent thriller. A small town police department borrows a self-imposed retired police detective to help solve a crime in a school. The sadistic bully of the school is found dead on campus and suspicion falls on six students in a popular teacher's class, all of whom refuse to talk. Lots of twists and turns, a really good read.
Gina
Jan 16, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Even though I had things figured out from the beginning the author did a good job creating enough suspense to make me sometimes second guess myself. The story's focus is on the murder of a school bully and how the bullied students and their exceptional teacher band together to protect one another. Unfortunately, while everyone is so busy protecting one another, everyone ends up a victim. It left me questioning a couple of things at the end, but I thought it was a good storyl ...more
Sue
Story of a group of friends who are all implicated together in the death of the class bully. They are strongly supported by their teacher. But slowly their alliance crumbles and some of them end up dead. Can Detective Dooley figure out who is responsible?
Lee
Oct 16, 2012 Lee rated it liked it
Truly creepy story, partially because it involves young, impressionable minds being affected in very dark (and, in some cases, very enlightened) ways by figures of authority. The author goes great lengths to not employ stereotypes, making each character in the story unique in some way - something I take to very readily since we all are truly unique!

There were a few things characters did that I'm not sure they would have done even given the situation and I believe it is the author's job to earn
Irene
Feb 26, 2014 Irene rated it liked it
Though quite interesting, I think it went I bit too long. I figured it out a bit early, but it still heals my interest. There were many errors. It needs to be proofread and corrected.
Lisa Wightman
Feb 25, 2013 Lisa Wightman rated it liked it
I really really wanted to like this book but found that I didn't... Why? I'm not entirely sure... The premise of the story was great, but I was never drawn into the story or the characters. I just didn't care enough. The writing style didn't flow for me either, especially the thoughts within thoughts. I found that aspect of the book both distracting and annoying. I had also worked out the ending before a quarter of the way into the book, which sometimes doesn't matter, hey, we all know the endin ...more
Sherry
Aug 18, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Very good read. Kept me guessing who the killer was almost to the end. I look forward to reading more of this authors books.
Myrna Miller
It was a fascinating book about some sixth grade friends, their beloved teacher and the class bully. The murder of the class bully was the foundation of the story but there were other issues dealt with in each of the main characters lives. The detective and the class teacher develop a relationship fairly early in the story.

The family of the class bully were definitely enablers making his behavior understandable but not excusable.

Some of the sentence structure was strange and I noticed some miss
Esther Bergling
Oct 01, 2014 Esther Bergling rated it really liked it
got me on this one-good job!
Christine Koch
Jul 04, 2015 Christine Koch rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, very dark but an enjoyable who-dun-it.
Jennifer Moe
Mar 25, 2013 Jennifer Moe rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book with a plot twist that I did not see coming. I started wondering somewhere in the middle where the author was taking this story, but couldn't have guessed how it would all turn out. I wish there had been more information provided about what happened to the kids, and I would have liked to know what happened to Chester, as well. I will definitely be reading more books by Ryne Douglas Pearson and would recommend "All For One" to anybody thinking about reading it.
Eric Krause
Jun 23, 2011 Eric Krause rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. It gave me goosebumps in a couple of places, which doesn't happen often. It was a police procedural/detective/mystery book that also had hints of possible supernatural occurrences throughout, which hooked me. There were quite a number of twists throughout that I didn't see coming. I thought I had the murderer pegged a few times, but I didn't see the truth until the author wanted me to. Overall, I'd say give this one a read; you won't be disappointed.
Val Wilkerson
Apr 24, 2014 Val Wilkerson rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Mary seemed to be the perfect teacher, the children in her class had all improved in their studies, in their social interaction, and they loved their teacher. When one of the boys in her class is found murdered, 5 of Mary's students are suspects.....

It only got 2 stars from me because it was a bit on the dark side for me. I don't like to think of children this young capable of murder I guess.....even though maybe they didn't do it????
Ed Scott
Dec 07, 2012 Ed Scott rated it it was amazing
Excellent drama. Storyline is about 6 pre-teen children who hide a secret about a 7th student who has been murdered with a baseball bat. The 6 strive to keep the secret, but being as young as they are, they start to crack. Will one spill the beans? Was one of the 6 the actual killer? But wait, there is a plot twist, of course. Actually figured out the ending about 2/3 of the way through but couldnt put the book down until the very end.
Madhuri
Oct 08, 2013 Madhuri rated it liked it
While not the best written book in my opinion it was written well for the story to portray how circumstance and character and loyalty can cause people to do things we never thought capable of.

This book made me question my judgements in people and myself on a few occasions and left me feeling a weird balance of content and disturbed.

But I'll never forget..."all for one" doesn't matter who is the one.
Nina Irwin
Jun 10, 2013 Nina Irwin rated it it was amazing
This is the second one by Pearson that I have read and I will definitely keep reading his books. All for One took me several days to read as it is a long story but a good one.

Friends go to bat for each other don't they? Just how far will this group of friends go to protect their own? I did suspect how and why but the actual ending was a surprise.
Antoinette Marion
Mar 20, 2012 Antoinette Marion rated it really liked it
Excellent plot and overall the book was very good. However, it is rather "dark" and "deep". Lots of characters and the author is a bit wordy, making it a labored read. It does hold your interest with some effort and was worth the effort. I felt the ending was a bit predictible, but my general overview is that this is a good read,
  • Ripped Apart
  • Any Other Night
  • Ascension Day
  • Children of Paranoia (Children of Paranoia, #1)
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • Silver Justice
  • Accidents Waiting to Happen
  • Kane
  • Midnight Sun
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Two Shots
  • Children of the Fog
  • Exposure
  • Fancy Gap
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Liquid Lies
  • Never Back Down
Ryne Douglas Pearson is an accomplished novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of several novels, including Cloudburst, October's Ghost, Capitol Punishment, Simple Simon, Top Ten, The Donzerly Light, All For One, Confessions, and Cop Killer. He is also the author of the short story collection, Dark and Darker. His novel Simple Simon was made into the film Mercury Rising. As a screenwriter he ...more
More about Ryne Douglas Pearson...