Start by marking “To the Edge : A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance” as Want to Read:
To the Edge : A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance

To the Edge : A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
pain-mind-numbing, body-wracking pain. When his beloved older brother commits suicide, Kirk starts running-running to escape, running to understand, running straight into the hell of Badwater, the ultimate test of endurance equal to five consecutive marathons. From the inferno of Death Valley to the freezing summit of Mt. Whitney, alongside a group of dreamers, fanatics, a ...more
Published November 11th 2009 by Warner Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about To the Edge , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Edge

Ryan
Oct 20, 2008 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what the title promises. The focus is resolutely on the man and his trials outside of the race, how they feed into it. Consider this more an autobiographical story about an emotionally fragile reporter who happens to run Badwater. I really wanted to know more about Death Valley, about the limits of endurance in these conditions, the trials of the competitors. Endurance was left as an unexamined mystery at the end while you hear a great deal about Kirk Johnson's emotional. For example, ...more
Marlawanda Briley
Just finished this last night for my bookclub. I love reading and hearing stories about Badwater, so I was excited that this was on our "to read" list. I could have skipped the first two to three chapters, which have more to do with the author and his coming to terms with the dramas of his life than ramping up for the race. I will admit that I'm the type of person who doesn't care about the sob stories told during the televised production of Kona or care to hear the behind-the-scenes look at the ...more
Akshata
Jun 02, 2013 Akshata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
A novice ultra marathoner and a journalist running the world's hottest 135 mile course in the middle of summer is bound to produce a lyrical narrative of the journey. Add to that a quest to come to terms with his brother's suicide and an attempt to have his siblings crew for him, and the lyrical narrative just gets more packed with more soul searching. The motif in the book is humility (and throwing himself under the bus in many places). From his clumsy coming to terms with his brother's death, ...more
E.H.
Apr 27, 2008 E.H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
Following his brother's death, NY Times reporter Kirk Johnson decided to become a runner. But he wasn't interested in doing any old race - he had his heart set on running the Badwater Ultramarathon, a 135-mile race across Death Valley, widely regarded as the most difficult footrace in the world. This book chronicles his descent into ultrarunning and (simultaneously) gonzo journalism.

In a normal newspaper story, the reporter remains at a distance from his subject - there is no "I", and so the ton
Laurie
Aug 15, 2010 Laurie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book was really interesting. It is the story of a reporter who signs up for Badwater, a 135 mile ultramarathon from the lowest point in Death Valley to the highest point. Johnson signs up for the race after his brother commits suicide -- Johnson's goal is to explore what makes a person able to endure. Johnson takes another brother and sister with him as crew, and aside from the family stories we also see Johnson's change from an observer of the race (as a reporter) to a whole hearted partic ...more
Jeff
Oct 10, 2014 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author writes about the year between his brother dying and his running the Badwater ultramarathon. I picked it up on a whim in a used bookstore and it looked interesting. It's a very fast read, it's pretty interesting. But it got two stars because the author is a whiny little girl. (even before he started running the Badwater, in which case a little whining would be excused)
Jackie
Jan 18, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Kirk Johnson, a writer for the New York Times, decides to run the Badwater Ultramarathon after the unexpected death of his brother. He chronicles his preparation and training for the most grueling footrace on the planet. At times his lack of confidence and anxiety feels redundant and tiring. The book improves when he writes about some of the Badwater history and introduces other runners in the race. Previously I read "A Few Degrees from Hell: The 2003 Badwater Ultramarathon", which includes race ...more
Bryce Thornton
Apr 18, 2011 Bryce Thornton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for books about extreme endurance and this book certainly fits the bill. Though there are some lulls here and there when the author reflects on his brother's death, the book is really a page turner. I stayed up way too late a few nights without even realizing it.

It's truly mind-boggling to me that people can find the will to run a race like Badwater. I've ran one marathon and have another one scheduled this fall and, to me, that's extreme. Add over 100 extra miles, 120+ degree temps
Kate Elizabeth
Feb 18, 2014 Kate Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read if you run or want to run or think runners are weird. Not necessarily good to read while you are cutting back on mileage to let a hip thing not become an injury thing. And the ending made me cry.
Tammy
Jan 10, 2015 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite ultra running books. A NY Times reporter takes on the Badwater Ultramarathon. Great story!
Sue Behera
This book is about the author doing Badwater after his brother commits suicide.
JDK1962
Mar 07, 2013 JDK1962 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling read, and very well written. Oddly, it was only toward the end that he lost me...I understand that mental deterioration is part of the race, but it's hard to make it interesting for all that long. But part of the point of the book is that things are what they are.

If you're on the fence about reading this, watch the documentary "Running on the Sun" which captured Badwater the year the author ran it.

BTW, found this after Dean Karnazes recommended it during a Marathon Training Academy po
Sean Sullivan
There was a while there when I was training for the New York Marathon where I was reading a lot of books about endurance, and especially about ultra-marathons. This one is a memoir of a New York Times reporter who signs up for Badwater, the toughest of the ultra marathon events*. Its not a great book. Too much handwringing and self-pity, not enough gruesome details of the run. This one is for the endurance memoir completist only.

*he is featured in running on the sun for all you ultras geeks out
Baqash
Nov 18, 2013 Baqash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
As writing goes To the Edge is not the greatest. With a good edit the book could have been shortened (especially in the first 2 or 3 chapters). My interest was held by the subject matter, endurance running and those who do it, and so pushed through. Johnson's description during the actual race is eye opening and could be frightening to a novice considering such a race as the Badwater. I believe an earlier reviewer very much missed it when they stated Johnson left them hanging on what is enduranc ...more
Dara Dalmata
Oct 12, 2009 Dara Dalmata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirk Johnson was an everyday joe schmo who had never even run a marathon and decided after interviewing a Badwater Ultramarathon runner that he wanted to train for and run the race and write about it. This book is a great read for someone who occasionally questions their sanity when it comes to running. Training for a marathon seems like a walk in the park compared to this 135 mile ultra that takes you through Death Valley.
Dana
May 22, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it
This was definitely an interesting look into the most punishing ultra-marathon (135 miles, starting in Death Valley....in July), and I enjoyed reading it, however, it did make me question what drives people to do that. And, I thought it could have been written in half as many pages -- I thought he overemphasized the deep meaning and life lessons in every little thing, including blisters, more than was necessary.

Martha☀
Kirk Johnson decides to sign up for the Badwater 135 mile race across Death Valley on a whim, even though he has little running experience. He writes in a way that emphasizes his inexperience and he uses a journalistic-style that makes him seem saner than all those crazy runners who do this type of thing. I didn't like him, but I toughed it out for the subject manner alone.
Kara
Apr 04, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough about this book! I started reading it because I wanted to understand more about the Ultra experience and I have never forgotten this book. The author takes you to places as runners we dare not go alone and it is written with humor and such so many great quotes and experience I give it to every person who has had to overcome mind over matter.
Kecia
Jun 04, 2007 Kecia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners
Shelves: running_books
Imagine running 140 miles from the lowest point to the highest point of Death Valley in JULY!!!

I have met two people who actually did it and survived to tell the tale. This book is about the author's quest to run the Badwater ultra. This is one of the most brutal races on earth. Read this book and watch the documentary film "Running on the Sun."
Zach Freeman
Mar 17, 2008 Zach Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about a NY Times reporter who took a year off to train to run an ultramarathon called Badwater: a 135 mile race across Death Valley in the middle of summer. It really gets you into the mindset of ultramarathoners better than any book I've read and inspires you to run, even if you're only running short distances.
Lara
Dec 15, 2010 Lara rated it really liked it
I read this years ago and really liked it. I didn't know much at all about ultramarathons at the time, and I thought this was a fantastic look at what running one of the toughest is like. It certainly didn't make me want to follow in Johnson's footsteps, but I definitely admire his determination!
Bill
Dec 22, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Inspirational and a bit frightening. I enjoyed reading about the training and the race. The author's transformation through the course of the book was truly amazing. For every person there are lines they won't cross. For me, Badwater remains clearly on the other side of that line.
Cherie
Apr 10, 2008 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, running
A- Really interesting; journey of a NYT reporter's reaction to his brother's death and how he embraces running and even ultrarunning to cope; also, detail-by-detail of his against-the-odds completion of Badwater. Truly inspirational and amazing; recommended for all ultrarunners.
Jen
Sep 15, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It was a great story about a New York Times journalist who decided to run Badwater, and his story about the race. A compelling story about running against the course and the clock and even yourself.
Thebestdogmom Stiner
Great book about Badwater. I loved that this was not the super elite athlete running this. Made it so much more personal. Kirk-thanks for taking us along for the journey.
Katie
Dec 06, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
I have less desire to actually run Badwater after reading this but infinitely more desire to run some more ultras. Its a fascinating, well-written book.
Mike Dunn
Feb 29, 2008 Mike Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Fascinating account of the 135-mile Badwater Ultra-marathon in Death Valley, CA. Inspired me to visit and run and hike there in December 2007.
Hardeep
Feb 02, 2009 Hardeep rated it liked it
Gives a good insight into the holy grail of ultra-marathoning- the Badwater race held in the peak of summer in Death Valley.
Elaine
Dec 21, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story and a great read--and not only for a runner.
Stephen
Jan 27, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any runner
Shelves: non-fiction
A book ?I have returned to time and time again.
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • The Runner's Literary Companion: Great Stories and Poems About Running
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine
  • Devoted: The Story of a Father's Love for His Son
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running
  • Again to Carthage
  • Strides: Running Through History With an Unlikely Athlete
  • The Four-Minute Mile
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
More about Kirk Johnson...