Start by marking “The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success” as Want to Read:
The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success

The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  3,293 ratings  ·  337 reviews
Do you want success?
More success than you have now?
And even more success than you ever imagined possible?
That is what this book is about.
Achieving it.

No gimmicks. No hyperbole. Finally, just the truth on what it takes to earn success.

As publisher of SUCCESS magazine, author Darren Hardy has heard it all, seen it all, and tried most of it. This book reveals the core pr
Published by SUCCESS Books (first published January 1st 2010)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoGetting Things Done by David Allen
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
151st out of 836 books — 1,091 voters
Equating the Equations of Insanity by Durgesh SatpathyThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia Lin
Best Self-Help Books
125th out of 145 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Prasenjeet Kumar
I am not a great believer in get rich quick schemes, lose weight in 7 days, love at first sight, etc and so does this book.

This book is very different from the nonsense that media fills your mind everyday.

The best thing about the book is that it teaches you to work hard. There is no such thing as an overnight success. You have to work hard considerably everyday to make the compound effect work in favour of you.

According to the Author, the Compound Effect is always at work. You can make it work
Emmy
Going to be honest, I'm pretty sure this book was written for me.
The Compound Effect is a motivational book about what he calls - wait for it - the Compound Effect. The concept is basically to say that smaller steps over a long period of time will have a greater, more beneficial and successful effect on your life than bigger steps in a shorter period of time (that most people will not stick to). I am the type of person that gets revved up to make a change, is all-in for about a month (tops), and
The Joy of Booking
I can totally get behind the concept of using the power of compounding to create valuable changes in your life, especially with regard to tracking – spending, habits, changes. You have to know what you’re doing to know what you want to change, and you have to know the effects of the changes you’re making in order to see a difference.

But in general, this book sort of left me bored – the examples aren’t specific enough and are too simple for anyone who’s ever read any kind of self-help or inspirat
Rob
Darren Hardy provided to me some great insight in that we are what we have chosen to be. When you find yourself in that rut of life, all you have to do is go back and review those choices you made that brought you to this point.

When I first tried to read this book, I felt overwhelmed about the information that he was providing as I was clearly in a rut. As I tried to initially read this book several months ago, I realized that it was not going to be easy to climb out of that rut and I gave up. I
Hailey
This was the best and most amazing book I have ever read. It was full of useful life lessons that help you get your priorities in check and put you in a better place if and when you choose to apply them. My favorite part is when he talks about how to, "track every action." It really does work and my life is changing for the better because of it! Now, I hate reading. It is probably one of my least favorite things to do and I usually view it as a waste of time. However, I would read this book any ...more
Taylor Millet
This book was awesome! I have always tried to consider the "why" behind things I'm doing in life, and this principle is at the core of Hardy's book. It was a very easy read with lots of applications (both direct invitations from the author and indirect inspirations from the stories and suggestions). And we aren't just talking about how to be more successful in a job or make more money, but how to have a more meaningful relationship with a loved one, how to get over bad habits, and a lot of reall ...more
Jason
Excellent book. This is not a motivational book, it's an actional book. I have really noticed major gains in my time and in my steps towards achieving my goals since I allowed myself to listen to Darren Hardy on YouTube.. and to think I almost turned it off!

This book also helped me clearly define my goals and why I want to achieve them

Darren Hardy is a great mentor. Get this book if you are serious about growing and becoming better.

Angie Libert
I love how the simplest ideas can have such a profound effect. This book is full of simple tips, but the implications of them are profound. I hope after reading this book I will be more mindful of what I am "compounding" in my life.
Jessica Dollar
What a great book to read as the last book of my 2014 reading challenge!

This is a frequently recommended book on the Entrepreneur On Fire podcast so I got it from the library. An excellent, short, and easy read. I think I might have to buy this one for future reference since I found so many things worth committing to memory. This is the kind of book you read at least once a year to stay motivated and on top of your goals.

I loved the advice on curating your information sources (no news, especial
Harsimran Singh
This is a literary gem that breaks down our lives into a small series of decisions - a necessary action these days as our lives move at high speeds with little time left for self-reflection. I highly recommend this book to all my readers, and anyone looking to improve their lives one decision at a time.

Similarly, my book breaks apart the decision process of immigrant billionaires and identifies 12 Keys to Success that everyone can use. : How 12 Immigrants Made Billions 12 Keys to Success by Harsimran Singh
Relleasy Harrison
one of the best books i have ever read in my life. this book has really helped me grow and create great habits. everyday i am aware of everything i do.
André Bueno
Great book though I felt his entire thesis is based on Jeff Olson's "The Slight Edge". The author even borrowed a few stories... The concept and delivery was good nonetheless.
Mario Tomic
One of the most empowering books you'll read! Darren Hardy, the author works with the most successful women and men throughout the world on a daily basis and has put everything he's learned from those people in one book. The book itself is very punchy, no fluff talk and straight to the point. It summarized the core of almost all success concepts into 1 book which makes it a great recommendation for someone who doesn't wanna go super deep into this and just get the most practical way to cut the l ...more
Amita
Basically, if you work hard you have an advantage over everyone else. You get what you put in and most people have bad habits/vices that get in the way of working hard. You can prioritize your goals, control your routines/habits, and get ahead.
Somethings I will remember:
-how making smaller, smarter choices will reap larger benefits in your career and life.
-remembering the power of our habits and checking my vices: is this something I want to do? or is it just a taken-for-granted habit?
-prioriti
Stacey
There were parts of this book I liked, but other parts that I found to be complete B.S. It's meant to be motivational and on some levels it is but certain things the author suggests, I just don't believe to be feasible or realistic, at least of for me. For instance, he suggests not reading newspapers or watching the news but instead only having RSS feeds set up to filter any news relevant to your personal or professional goals. I think this would lead to a very narrow minded view of the world. H ...more
Galel Fajardo
A must-read for anyone wanting to create lasting change in their life.
J.F. Penn
Great book for self-help fans. I needed this as it sometimes feels like we are plugging away for little return. This book reminds us that it is little efforts, repeatedly done, over time that give us an effect that compounds over time.
So a choice to blog twice a week means in 3 years, you will have an online platform that's worthwhile. Or to write 2000 words a week means you have a book in a year. Or to eat less sugar every day means losing weight over the long term.
This book reminds you of so
Stephen
Good book and good concept. Still a bit lightweight in actual concrete things. But it does give you tidbit nuggets I'm sure I'll hold onto and draw on in my life. And for that it is worth a read.
Aubrey
I first heard about this book from a TED talk, by a woman who referenced how your surroundings (the friends you choose, the place you live in, the information you ingest) makes you who you are because you made the choice to invite them in. So you can invite in people you call friends who do nothing but complain, blame and remain stagnant all their life, with little to no dreams. You can live in a place that feels limiting to your dreams and goals and ingest in information that is nothing but tox ...more
Lars-Christian Elvenes
May 14, 2015 Lars-Christian Elvenes rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Complete self-help noobs
Recommended to Lars-Christian by: No idea how it came into my possesion
What to say...

Not sure where I got this one from, to be honest. Had it lying around, and decided it was a good book to practice a few new speed reading techniques on.

Took a look at this one on Amazon, and I guess I agree with a lot of the reviews there.

Basically, if you've never read a self-help book before, you'll find a few good pointers here.There's a foreword by Tony Robbins, and to be honest, that is the only thing that keeps this book on the honest side of things. Without that foreword, th
Scott Wozniak
It started a bit cheesy for me, with a little too much of "look how amazing my life is and you can be amazing, too!" But then he got into the actual principles, advice, and stories of the book. And it was powerful.

The compound effect--little steps combining with each other to grow over time, slowing building up steam--is always working. It's either working for you or against you. And it isn't going in a straight line. The results start so small you can't even see them but eventually they curve u
Goran
Setting and adjusting rudder to correct course is the most important thing if you want to succeed in life. The Compound Effect explains why small things done daily is what separates winners from losers. The first part of book is focused on giving perspective on just how big differences are between those using compound effect and those who are not. Then it gives you exact steps you need to take and real life success/failure stories who used compound effect to their advantage or disadvantage. This ...more
Christopher Hedges
Jan 13, 2015 Christopher Hedges rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People.looking to increase their success in life
Recommended to Christopher by: My friend Eric
My friend Eric gave me a copy of The Compound Effect when I was visiting him in Arizona. Darren Hardy provides the reader with a good blue print of how he or she can can great massive results in all aspects of their lives by making small changes. The compound effect is a major contributor to the results a person will experience in life. I actually practice most of the disciplines Darren recommends in his book, I'm just not as intense as he is.

I had two minor issues with the book. The first is p
Fotis Chatzinicolaou
Το intro του βιβλίου με κατενθουσίασε. Ο πατέρας του συγγραφέα ήταν hardcore προπονητής που έκανε γερές προπονήσεις τα πρωινά του και σαν γυμναστής και εγώ, ένοιωσα μια κάποια σύνδεση.

Αργότερα όμως, το βιβλίο απλά κινείται στο ίδιο μήκος κύματος με τα περισσότερα self help books.

Ο συγγραφέας κάνει αναφορά σε διάφορα παραδείγματα ανθρώπων που είναι πετυχημένοι και πιθανολογεί ότι η επιτυχία τους οφείλεται στην καθημερινή προσπάθειά τους, η οποία είναι συνεχόμενη όταν άλλοι άνθρωποι απλά σταματάνε
David Geschke
Fantastic!

Wow. I love this book. I remember when it hit the market it sounded like a book that would interest me, but I read some bad reviews and just parked it in my wish list until this month when I read a review from Derek Sivers who raved about it. So I got a Kindle copy and blew through it, setting aside every other book I was working on to finish this one. So glad I did.

Well written, easy useable concepts that make a lot of sense to me and I can begin to implement immediately. The basic p
Dan Radion
Excellent motivational/self-help book. It is written in a very accessible and pragmatic way. The overall message is simple: the small, inconsequential choices we make propel us to success or defeat.
Not much in this book is "new" per say, but it is far more approachable and modern than the classics such as Dale Carnegie or Napoleon Hill are. Worth reading if you want more motivation to apply positive changes in your life.

Noteworthy Quotes:
"It's not the big things that add up in the end; it's the
Dominique Weeks
Action book. That's what came to mind when I started reading the Compound Effect. I started implementing his suggestion and immediately I started witnessing results. I'm more aware of everything that I do!
Mary Alice
This is my first personal development book that I've ever read and I loved it! If you want a way to change your mindset and your life, this is it! He gives real life examples of the compound effect and has exercises throughout the book to use his ideas in your life. I will be reading this again someday and sharing it with a lot of people!
Allison Otting
I enjoyed the begining of this book. It's given me a lot of great ideas on how to set goals and improve my life to be more fulfilling and become the person that I want to be. Overall, I think the idea of the compound effect is really powerful.

Towards the end of the book I just didn't feel as connected. The examples and principles began to be too money and power focused for me, and the thought of applying some of his suggestions made me feel like I would possibly become a more selfish money-drive
John Yelverton
This book was a giant pile of drivel which spent the entire time telling you things you already knew while uplifting celebrities and sports stars as examples of what you could be too. This was far from helpful and felt tremendously like the required office pep rallies we all hate and abhor.
Great Read 2 12 Aug 13, 2013 10:11PM
  • Go Pro - 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Why You're Dumb, Sick, & Broke: And How to Get Smart, Healthy, & Rich!
  • The Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
  • No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve!
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • First Steps to Wealth
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • The Art of Persuasion: Winning Without Intimidation
  • Personality Plus at Work: How to Work Successfully with Anyone
The Entrepreneur Roller Coaster: Why Now Is the Time to #Join the Ride Living Your Best Year Ever Design Your Best Year Ever: A Proven Formula For Achieving Big Goals Making the Shift: Developing the Entrepreneur Mindset El Efecto Compuesto (The Compound Effect)

“You alone are responsible for what you do, don’t do, or how you respond to what’s done to you.” 9 likes
“You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.” 7 likes