4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  1,429 ratings  ·  182 reviews
Do you want success?
More success than you have now?
And even more success than you ever imagined possible?
That is what this book is about.
Achieving it.

No gimmicks. No hyperbole. Finally, just the truth on what it takes to earn success.

As publisher of SUCCESS magazine, author Darren Hardy has heard it all, seen it all, and tried most of it. This book reveals the core pr...more
Published by SUCCESS Books (first published June 1st 2010)

Emmy
Going to be honest, I'm pretty sure this book was written for me.
The Compound Effect is a motivational book about what he calls - wait for it - the Compound Effect. The concept is basically to say that smaller steps over a long period of time will have a greater, more beneficial and successful effect on your life than bigger steps in a shorter period of time (that most people will not stick to). I am the type of person that gets revved up to make a change, is all-in for about a month (tops), and...more
Rob
Darren Hardy provided to me some great insight in that we are what we have chosen to be. When you find yourself in that rut of life, all you have to do is go back and review those choices you made that brought you to this point.

When I first tried to read this book, I felt overwhelmed about the information that he was providing as I was clearly in a rut. As I tried to initially read this book several months ago, I realized that it was not going to be easy to climb out of that rut and I gave up. I...more
Prasenjeet Kumar
I am not a great believer in get rich quick schemes, lose weight in 7 days, love at first sight, etc and so does this book.

This book is very different from the nonsense that media fills your mind everyday.

The best thing about the book is that it teaches you to work hard. There is no such thing as an overnight success. You have to work hard considerably everyday to make the compound effect work in favour of you.

According to the Author, the Compound Effect is always at work. You can make it work...more
The Joy of Booking
I can totally get behind the concept of using the power of compounding to create valuable changes in your life, especially with regard to tracking – spending, habits, changes. You have to know what you’re doing to know what you want to change, and you have to know the effects of the changes you’re making in order to see a difference.

But in general, this book sort of left me bored – the examples aren’t specific enough and are too simple for anyone who’s ever read any kind of self-help or inspirat...more
Jason
Excellent book. This is not a motivational book, it's an actional book. I have really noticed major gains in my time and in my steps towards achieving my goals since I allowed myself to listen to Darren Hardy on YouTube.. and to think I almost turned it off!

This book also helped me clearly define my goals and why I want to achieve them

Darren Hardy is a great mentor. Get this book if you are serious about growing and becoming better.

Angie
I love how the simplest ideas can have such a profound effect. This book is full of simple tips, but the implications of them are profound. I hope after reading this book I will be more mindful of what I am "compounding" in my life.
Hailey
This was the best and most amazing book I have ever read. It was full of useful life lessons that help you get your priorities in check and put you in a better place if and when you choose to apply them. My favorite part is when he talks about how to, "track every action." It really does work and my life is changing for the better because of it! Now, I hate reading. It is probably one of my least favorite things to do and I usually view it as a waste of time. However, I would read this book any...more
Harsimran Singh
This is a literary gem that breaks down our lives into a small series of decisions - a necessary action these days as our lives move at high speeds with little time left for self-reflection. I highly recommend this book to all my readers, and anyone looking to improve their lives one decision at a time.

Similarly, my book breaks apart the decision process of immigrant billionaires and identifies 12 Keys to Success that everyone can use. : How 12 Immigrants Made Billions  12 Keys to Success by Harsimran Singh
Stacey
There were parts of this book I liked, but other parts that I found to be complete B.S. It's meant to be motivational and on some levels it is but certain things the author suggests, I just don't believe to be feasible or realistic, at least of for me. For instance, he suggests not reading newspapers or watching the news but instead only having RSS feeds set up to filter any news relevant to your personal or professional goals. I think this would lead to a very narrow minded view of the world. H...more
J.F. Penn
Great book for self-help fans. I needed this as it sometimes feels like we are plugging away for little return. This book reminds us that it is little efforts, repeatedly done, over time that give us an effect that compounds over time.
So a choice to blog twice a week means in 3 years, you will have an online platform that's worthwhile. Or to write 2000 words a week means you have a book in a year. Or to eat less sugar every day means losing weight over the long term.
This book reminds you of so...more
Bibhu Ashish
Great book and a kind of milestone in self help genre. Simple and very effective. The best thing about the book is it tries to dispel the notion that thinking to grow and actually doing activities to grow are separated by a great need to change someone's mindset.No amount of self help dictates would help if you do not put some action to your plan. A bias for execution is very much required to have a great and successful life. But it would need time and a lot of self discipline to reach to the ai...more
Amita
Basically, if you work hard you have an advantage over everyone else. You get what you put in and most people have bad habits/vices that get in the way of working hard. You can prioritize your goals, control your routines/habits, and get ahead.
Somethings I will remember:
-how making smaller, smarter choices will reap larger benefits in your career and life.
-remembering the power of our habits and checking my vices: is this something I want to do? or is it just a taken-for-granted habit?
-prioriti...more
Victoria
This was the first "personal development" book I've ever read, and I have to say that I loved every sentence of it. Very motivational, will absolutely will change your mindset and the way you approach every decision in your life!!
Antoinette Perez
Good messages: Make small changes over time, be consistent, DO THE WORK, get good results. I like that he advises not to make drastic changes overnight, because they are not sustainable.

Most everything covered here is consistent with popular trends in self-help and personal development, and even overlaps a bit with other titles (I'd actually even say that the topics on this book are encompassed wholly in one of my 2012 faves, The Power of Habit). The Compound Effect is a quick read, as though t...more
Bryan Connatser
Darren continues to help me find unique inspirations that help me push myself. Hearing him last October and then following it up with his book are truly business framing actions.
Megan Harper
I am at the baby stage of a new career and found this book to be an incredible kick start to achieving my goals. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who may be bouncing from idea to idea with good intention but without a clear direction. This book offers great tools for getting focused and maximizing your chance of success. I printed ALL of the worksheets at the end and have been utilizing them in my daily practice. My husband is even on board which makes the process of creating a struc...more
Marisa
This book was amazing! I started applying the principles immediately and am already experiencing fantastic results!
Liang Gang Yu
Compound effect explains sudden success is actually the result of long time effort. Prepare, give right attitude, take opportunities, consistently improve with one step at a time, you will succeed at work and in life.

The message, consistent hard work leads to succeed, is simple and universal, and the author gives it a new perspective by tracking the root of success to making small choices, forming good habit, being persist, creating support environment. Great points. Also, the author suggests s...more
Cheree
I really enjoyed this book! Darren Hardy is very clear that he isn't providing any new information here. There is no secret to success. But, there is a method and a process that can be used to gain it.

The Compound Effect is much like the idea of compound interest. If you leave money in an account and allow it to draw interest year after year after year, you end up with a much larger amount that someone who begins saving money years later, and even higher amounts. It's the magic of compound inter...more
Rebecca Ingham
This is the 2nd time I've read this book, and like other personal development books I've read, when re-reading it, I get something new from it. Often times, if there had been enough time in between, it seems like it's a brand new book!

The Compound Effect

I've gained considerable knowledge from "The Compound Effect". The only drawback I have with this book is that Darren Hardy was able to start life off on the right foot, with a father that was present in his life and fulfilled his role as a fathe...more
David
Hardy has written a fascinating book! Likely in the top 5 best books I've read.

I expected that he would discuss how compound interest works, but he turns the corner and effectively illustrates how a financial principle can be applied to one's life to have similar results. I quickly burned through a highlighter making notes throughout the book.

The best three principles I took from the book are:

1) The 1% Rule: This is a principle where a person makes small changes over a period of time. He demons...more
Erik Orrantia
I rarely read a self-help book. After all, I have a Master's Degree in psychology and a therapist! Nevertheless, as part of professional development, I was asked to read it and I gave it a shot. It's a fairly simple book. It goes over a lot of truths about success and life in general that I believe. It also has some decent exercises and some thought-provoking notions. It made me think of my own personal habits and choices as well as the things in my life that influence me. It also makes it clear...more
Vaishali
An unexpected treat: Hardy writes about how he created a daily diary cataloguing his wife's attributes - the styling of her hair, how she made the bed ... whatever touched him that day - and did so devotedly for a full year. He then gave the journal to his wife, who cried when she received it on Thanksgiving the following year. The idea taught him persistence, discipline, and overall forced him to look at his wife with new eyes each day and fall more deeply in love with her.

For this reason and...more
This book can be knocked out so fast you could miss it. In order to benefit from this book, one must deliberately slow down. Pace it out 5 - 10 pages a day and make certain days, days to go back and plan or setup action items from the tips.

A lot of what he suggests is common sense or I was already doing it, but those things that are easy to do are Easy to NOT do as Darren will remind you repeatedly. And he's right.
April
The concepts of this book are fantastic. The delivery can get a bit preachy at times ("I'm successful because I did this!"). I think it would carry more weight if the author backed up his ideas and thoughts with facts and research versus just his own experience. But, the book challenged me and made me question some of my own habits and beliefs, and it was a pretty quick and easy read.
Kelli Koehler
I read this on my Kindle and ended up highlighting half the book! SO many great lessons, quotes, and inspiration.

"Each choice starts a behavior that over time becomes a habit."

Overall Takeaway = Small things add up to big things over time

Great motivation to just start small, start somewhere, because after a while it will result in something very very big.
BB French
How do you know if you are doing the right things or if you are on the right track? This quick read will help you set goals based on your values & evaluate your habits and daily choices to ensure your regular activities are in line with your short & long term goals. Evaluating your habits is the best habit you can develop. Read it & implement it and succeed!
Jennifer Daiker
This book left me inspired from the first assignment. For those wanting to rid their bad habits, become a success, and just have an overall better attitude towards life - this book, my friends, is for you.

I've already begun weeding out two bad habits AND have begun the cycle of listening and reading books that will help make me a more improved version of myself!
Natalie Starfish
Reading this with a group. Each week we discuss the chapter read the previous week AND we are all committed to doing the work at the end of the chapter. The work at the end of the chapter can be skipped, or done on the surface, or really faced. I am doing my best to really face.

Some parts I like, others I do not.

I am intrigued by the graph presented in the first chapter showing a noticable difference after 27 months of a real change and a significant difference after 30 months. I looked back ov...more
Giber Becerra
Este fue el primer libro que lei del año y no pudo venir en el mejor momento. “The Compound Effect” habla acerca del gran impacto que juegan las decisiones del dia a dia en el resultado de todo lo que manifestamos en nuestras vidas.
Desde estar sobre peso, endeudado, en banca rota, tener un pobre estado de salud, todo esto es el resultado de las pequeñas decisiones que tomamos en cada momento.
Cualquier cosa que deseamos manifestar en nuestras vidas, empieza con esfuerzos pequenos y consistentes y...more
Great Read 2 8 Aug 13, 2013 10:11PM
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • Go Pro - 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • The 21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires: How to Achieve Financial Independence Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • Born to Win: Find Your Success Code
The Compound Effect Audio Program Living Your Best Year Ever Design Your Best Year Ever, A Proven Formula For Achieving Big Goals The Compound Effect [Hardcover] Making the Shift: Developing the Entrepreneur Mindset

“Don’t wish it were easier; wish you were better.” 3 likes