Start by marking “The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes” as Want to Read:
The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes

The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Had Enough?

Join activists, organizations, and celebrities to fight human rights crimes in Africa.

Human rights activist John Prendergast and Oscar-nominated actor Don Cheadle bring us an empowering and hopeful new book, as they reveal the steps being taken by engaged citizens—"Upstanders"—famous and unknown, here and abroad, to combat genocide, rape, and child soldierdom i
Published September 7th 2010 by Crown (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Enough Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enough Moment

Emily
Focusing on three unspeakably evil things happening on a massive scale in Africa (genocide, rape, and child conscription), Mr. Prendergast and Mr. Cheadle highlight "Upstanders," people who are making a difference. These Upstanders include American celebrities as well as practically anonymous individuals in Congo or Uganda. They are students and journalists, politicians and activists, actors and medical professionals, who refused to wring their hands over the atrocities and turn away. They decid ...more
Hilary
The authors trace the history of war crimes and war tactics in eastern and central Africa. The text describes how individual can reach the point where they feel “enough is enough” and are compelled to take action.

Situations selected to illustrate Africans’ plight include genocide in Darfur, child abductions to create soldiers or sex slaves, and the use of rape as a weapon of war. Descriptions of these situations portray the darkest and basest human behavior and may be distressing even for adult
Susan
The personal reflection that really lingers with me is Ben Affleck's observation that Africans know how to fish, there just aren't any fish in the pond. That's in the context of the famous saying "if you give a man a fish..." by the way, because on its own it sounds kind of weird.
Matt
What at first seems to be a rather vague yet inspiring (or awakening) overview of the human rights issues in Africa, turns out to be a well researched, thorough coverage of the situation. Prendergast also provides excellent thoughts on the action that is needed.

Read this book!
Kristina Klausser
This book is a really great source for information on conflict in Africa (specifically rape as a weapon of war in the Congo, child soldiers, and conflict minerals). Though I knew much of the included information the format of the book made it interesting and touching.
Victoria
If you are looking for a book of statistics and information and history specifically about the wars that have been currently going on in Africa, this is not the book for you. I think that is what I was hoping for a little bit, honestly.

This book is mainly about how in learning information about the goings-on of the wars in Africa, when will we be willing to say, "Enough is enough!" When would we be willing to see a change or a stop to these wars that are murdering and destroying the lives of th
Larry Bassett
The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa’s Worst Human Rights Crimes
John Prendergast
Don Cheadle

The descriptions of the atrocities in The Enough Moment are not as graphic as the reality must be. You have to put in some of your own imaginary pictures of rape, mutilation and violence. But the narrators would have you understand that your imagination is unlikely to be as horrible as the actual event. Then imagine that you are a child witnessing parents being hacked to death or a mother brutally rap
Stephanie
This definitely isn't my typical read, but for what it was (A book inspiring activism in Africa), I did enjoy it. It taught me a lot about what is doing on in Darfur, the Sudan, and the Congo. Things I have heard about but never imagined the depth of. For someone who wants to read something that is non-fiction and educational, I would definitely suggest this book. It was an easy read and very motivating to hear about others who have said "enough!" and made a difference.
Tara Humphries
Prendergast does a great job outlining the Genocide in Darfur, Bosnia, and adds in examples from the Ivory Coast, Rwanda, etc. He is clear and makes great points, has wonderful stories from activists and survivors, and has a strong voice for change. I highly recommend!
Gregory
You definitely get the feel of the authors' passion in this book, which makes it worthwhile, but I wouldn't call it gripping. It will also be hard to follow if you are not already pretty well versed in the history of contemporary African political conflict.
Lindsay
www.enoughmoment.org

Stopped on page 90. Didn't enjoy writing style, although the topic is very important. Heard George Clooney got the president's ear this week to discuss Sudan, etc.
Linda
Interesting perspective on how and why to become an Upstander. Gives good examples of how "ordinary" people become "extraordinary" in their fight for human rights.
Ruth
Just like their previous book, they give inspiring stories of Upstanders and the thing ordinary people can do to help people in the Congo, Uganda, and every where.
Michele Mcconnell
Wow - the authors were able to compile a book about the atrocities of what is happening in the Congo, and add in stories about what people are doing to help.
Katy Mason
Great content, although I wasn't able to get used to the way it was laid out with the dialog between the two authors.
Alisa Wheeler
Great book on human rights abuses in central Africa and how we can all work together to put an end to them.
Marisa Lyden geraghty
If you want to make a difference, educate yourself on topic....great read.
drék
tough subject matter, but necessary read...
Sabrina Elise
Sabrina Elise is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
Liz Hirsch
Liz Hirsch is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Carrie Leaf
Carrie Leaf marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Sakeenah
Sakeenah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Becca Panico
Becca Panico is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Chelsea Ogden
Chelsea Ogden marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Margaret Miles
Margaret Miles marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Ken Gilmour
Ken Gilmour marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Inkah
Inkah marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • Not On Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Africa's World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of a Continental Catastrophe
  • The Other Side of War: Women's Stories of Survival and Hope
  • The Devil Came on Horseback: Bearing Witness to the Genocide in Darfur
  • From Outrage to Courage: The Unjust and Unhealthy Situation of Women in Poor Countries and What They Are Doing About It
  • The Wonga Coup: Guns, Thugs and a Ruthless Determination to Create Mayhem in an Oil-Rich Corner of Africa
  • A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-Violent Conflict
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Meena, Heroine of Afghanistan: The Martyr Who Founded RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
  • A Thousand Hills: Rwanda's Rebirth and the Man Who Dreamed It
  • The Bone Woman: A Forensic Anthropologist's Search for Truth in the Mass Graves of Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo
  • A Dream So Big: Our Unlikely Journey to End the Tears of Hunger
  • The Graves Are Not Yet Full
  • First Kill Your Family: Child Soldiers of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army
  • A Continent for the Taking: The Tragedy and Hope of Africa
  • The Hospital by the River: A Story of Hope
  • Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War
John Prendergast is a human rights activist and best-selling author who has worked for peace in Africa for over 25 years. He is the co-founder of the Enough Project, an initiative to end genocide and crimes against humanity affiliated with the Center for American Progress. John has worked for the Clinton White House, the State Department, two members of Congress, the National Intelligence Council, ...more
More about John Prendergast...
Unlikely Brothers Frontline Diplomacy: Humanitarian Aid and Conflict in Africa Prender's Progress: A Soldier In India, 1931-1947 Crisis Response: Humanitarian Band-Aids in Sudan and Somalia Peace, Development, And People Of The Horn Of Africa