Substitute Creacher

Substitute Creacher

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The troublemaking students of Ms. Jenkins' class arrive at school one day to discover a substitute creacher has come to put a stop to their monkey business! He regales them with mind-boggling stories about his former students who didn't follow the rules: Keith the glue-eater, Zach the daydreamer, and Hank the prankster, to name a few. But even this multi-tentacled, yellow-...more
Published July 20th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published July 5th 2011)

Nick
I had trouble figuring out the intended audience for this book. The audience has to be old enough to know about school, substitute teachers, common school rules and several other things before it will make sense, but the format seems aimed at younger than that.
The initial premise, of a substitute teacher who is wildly weird, has been used before. In this case the sub is an actual monster...at least in appearance. In action, he spends the entire day telling the kids stories that are, in fact, a b...more
Laurie
Reader
With shiny green foil and mugshots of misbehaving children, Gall's picture book is a perfect Halloween or back to school treat. There's a mischievous gnome that pops up in each story, and as the story shifts from subtle tricks to dangerous and gruesome situations, the creature's past comes to light. A good lesson wrapped in an enjoyable monster tale, young readers and storytellers alike will delight in the telling. - C
Brenda Kahn
Don't really get the love I read on the Interwebz about this book. Loved the art and the beginning. Felt the rhyme alternating with prose awkward, the reason behind the creacher's existence felt forced and the ending just didn't make sense. Everything's the same 49 years later? Or, am I missing something?
Liz
Aug 02, 2011 Liz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mitten
Just ok. Didn't like that the creature spoke in rhymes, but the children didn't. It interrupted the flow of the story. Illustrations were cartoony. Eh.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Gall, Chris. Substitute Creacher. New York: Little, Brown, 2011. Print.
This review is from Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Substitute Creacher by Chris Gall is a picture book that is perfect to be used as a substitute lesson for grades 1-3. The class finds out they have a substitute teacher and decide to pull all kinds of malarkey. Before they can begin he gives the class a stern warning and pulls out pictures to tell stories of other classes that have tried to pull stuff on h...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
As I read through this one, I felt that it was for an older age group (7 or 8 and up). A picture book for the goosebumps crowd in a way.
Tom
The art was decent and it shows rhyming well, but the story was fairly unfocused.
Tam
Amy
Substitute Creacher was a halloween inspired fable aimed at teaching children appropriate schoolroom behavior. I don't really know what to say about this story. I read it to my nephew, and while he was impressed with the pictures, for him the story didn't seem to be all that impressive. He just didn't get this story. Developmentally he's not yet at the stage of being able to extract a moral from a fable and then apply that moral to an existing situation or behavior. He's still very literal.

What...more
Kassie Houston
Genre: Poetry
Grade: 3-4
Award(s): None

Many students feel the need to misbehavior when a substitute teacher is present. This book would be an excellent addition to any elementary grade level classroom library. Through rhythms and examples students learn about the different ways of how not to behavior with a sub. I would probably use this book in the beginning of the school year because the activity that follows will set order in my class when I am absent. I would have the students come together as...more
Kasey Jensen
When a teacher stays home from school one day, a substitute shows up to get the class back in order. But this is no ordinary substitute – he’s a creature made to stop naughty students in their tracks. This book is very humorous and discusses some problem behaviors that may take place in the classroom at any time of the school year. The book is intended for 6 to 12 year olds. It appeals to this group because of the humor and play on words, an unrealistic way to look at realistic situations. I wou...more
Jesika La Bryer
This book is brand new, I was drawn to the cover when I saw it displayed at the local library. The story was cute, I can see how many students would like this book being read to them, especially if it was by a substitute teacher! Mr. Creature was a bad little boy, he was turned into a creature and had to stay that way until he repaid his "debt" for all he has done bad. He teaches children that they should be nice to their teachers (as he was not as a child). In the end, he changes back to the li...more
Erin
I'm going to be more like Mr. Creacher with the kids I see while subbing.

It's cute.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Ms. Jenkins’s class is acting up. To get his kids straightened out, Ms. Jenkins sends in the substitute teacher of all substitute teachers, Mr. Creacher. He is a monster who shares terrifying stories with the class about what happens to children who do not behave.

“Good morning to all!
My name’s Mr. Creacher.
Ms. Jenkins has asked me
to step in as a teacher.
She claims that this class
has grown quite out of hand.
So, I’m here to warn you
we’re taking a stand.

Amanda snickered at the way he spoke. Ga...more
Dolly
Oct 24, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about a creepy subtitute teacher, along the lines of Miss Nelson Is Missing!, but with a darker, more magical ending. Bad behaviors in the classroom are highlighted with anecdotal stories of other children. And after the children find out the whole story about Mr. Creacher, they promise to change their naughty ways. The ending is heartwarming and a bit surprising. We really enjoyed reading this story together.
Emily
Definitely for older students, but interesting.
Michel Butler
Substitute Creacher is a fable with a Halloween feel. It is a book about an out-of-control classroom that has a special substitute teacher for the day. During the course of the story, the substitute creacher warns the class of what could happen if they continue to misbehave, using examples he's seen during the past 50 years, which he's spent as a monster. This book is great for discussing appropriate classroom behavior in a fun way. The author's rhyme scheme adds to the playfulness of the book,...more
Danielle
Substitute Creacher is a wonderfully entertaining story about a mischievous boy who gets turned into a terrible creacher. In order to be returned to his normal state, he must teach other mischievous children how to behave. Teachers request his services when their class acts up. As entertaining and hilarious as this story is, it provides students with a great lesson. It teaches them the importance of always being a good and behaving well for others. This story would work perfectly with a manners...more
Robin
Another funny book at our fair, I expected this to be along the lines of Miss Nelson is missing. The story is about a sub who comes to teach an out-of-control class of students. Each mischief maker is told a story of a student who is punished for his crime but they aren't scared until they learn how the substitute himself became the "creature" that he is. The story is fun and has some good lessons, but I was more impressed with the artwork in this one.
Starr Elementary
Scott Roark
Story uses a monster substitute to nail home the point that kids should behave in school. Rhymes are throughout book and eventually tells the story of how a boy misbehaved during halloween and was turned into a monster. He had to rectify his behavior by teaching others to be good. The tale was about the teacher, and eventually he was turned back into the little boy by the magical gnome.
Great Illustrations and will be very popular in the classroom.
Katie Fitzgerald
Overall, I thought this was a great, fresh take on the subject of substitute teachers, and an excellent Halloween story that kids can enjoy even if they don't like to be scared. Though the ending gave me a little chill, the story still came to a very satisfying and happy ending. Recommended to grades K-2.

Read my full review on my blog: http://sharingsoda.blogspot.com/2011/...
Christina Camp
This book would be great to use in a lessson about good behavior. It is about a teacher whyose class misbehaves so she brings in a creature to teach them a lesson. By the end of the story, the students have learned the importance of behaving in class and the creature breaks the curse that was put on him. It is a funny book and is good for entertainment, but can also be used to show students the importance of good behavior.
Jeanne
A great picture book for Halloween. I believe it would also be a good book for a substitute teacher to carry around and read to rowdy kids. I could have used a book like this in the past.

The creacher tells the kids all the things that could happen to them if they misbehave. Then he tells them that at one time he was just like them and because of bad behavior he turned into the "creacher".

A good story.
Christina
This is a fun story that I would leave for a substitute teacher to read for whenever I am not at school. It reminds students how they should properly behaving and an imaginative story about what will happen to them if they do not. I would recommend reading this book to students as well if they are not behaving with me as well. This book would be most appropriate for students in 2nd-4th grade.
Carey Hanson
copyright 2011 fantasy/poetry

I enjoyed this book especially since I've been a substitute teacher. I especially liked the poetry parts when the substitute creacher tells about the students he has had - the glue eater, the daydreamer, and the girl who brought her pet to school. I won't give away the end but it was fairly easy to figure what was going to happen in the end.
Shaley Dunn
A rowdy class gets a different kind of sub. It is a substitue creacher. He tells the studnets about all of the students that he has gotten in trouble and all the terrible things that happened to them. He then tells them that he was one of them. By the end of the book he learns his lesson and gets to be changed back into a human.
Kristy Isla
A nice rhyming book. Could be used for Halloween or anytime. Similar to Miss Nelson is Missing.
Strock
you MUST do your best "fun monster voice" with this book! :) give it a try! our 6 and 5 year olds loved it. its fast paced and is packed full of lots of "ah ha moments! (for kids)" Orrr just a fun story if kids aren't interested anything but the wonderful art in the book :)
  • The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
  • In the Haunted House
  • Even Monsters Need Haircuts
  • Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie
  • When a Monster Is Born
Dinotrux Revenge of the Dinotrux Dear Fish There's Nothing to Do on Mars Awesome Dawson