Meg's Melody

Meg's Melody

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  65 reviews

It's only after her husband leaves that Meg finds out she's pregnant. Now facing the prospect of single parenthood, she'll have to rely on the family she pushed away, the church she abandoned, and an unexpected friendship to see her through. This touching story combines romance with real conflicts to remind you it's never too late to find love if you know where to look.

Published December 8th 2010 by Bonneville (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Meg's Melody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg's Melody

Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonSeeking Persephone by Sarah M. EdenThe List by Melanie JacobsonDrops of Gold by Sarah M. Eden
LDS Romance
89th out of 259 books — 139 voters
A Change of Plans by Donna K. WeaverKissing Kendall by Jennifer ShirkThe Practice Proposal by Tracy MarchThe Role of a Lifetime by Jennifer ShirkGeorgie on His Mind by Jennifer Shirk
Clean Romance Contemporary
95th out of 191 books — 206 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaimeel
Love it!! It's so good!!
Heather
I recieved a copy of this book from the author for review and finished it all in one sitting. Kaylee Baldwin tackles grief, divorce, and the power of change. Meg's Melody begins as young Meg Sanders finds a note in her apartment from her husband Austin, stating no more than "I'm Sorry." His clothes are packed and gone...after eight months of marriage she is alone and left to pick up the pieces. Factor in that her pregnancy test comes back positive and her ex-husband remarried in a flash. Meg is...more
Ranee Clark
Audience: Adult (clean)
Genre: Romance, LDS Romance

Length: 256 pgs

Rating: ****

Review: Kaylee always tells me, "Show me how they connect," and she practices what she preaches. I love the build-up of Meg and Matt's friendship. I love how they unfold for each other and for us, layer by layer. I love Matt as a dad--I'm a sucker for a good dad character. It melts my heart. I love Meg's sister Missy because, I think, that might be a teensy bit me. (Although, cross my heart, I don't tell people my famil...more
Marsha Ward
Talk about knowing how to tug on your heartstrings! Meg Sanders's short marriage has fallen apart, she's discovered she's pregnant, and she feels like she is alone in the world. She has nowhere to turn but back to her roots, and the faith that she left behind to marry. Kaylee Baldwin really knows how to put her protagonist up a tree and throw rocks at her. Meg's journey through rejection and pain and into joy and redemption is a well-crafted read, suitable for lovers of clean romance, whether th...more
The Sweet Bookshelf
I thought this sounded really good, but I was worried it would be too heavy for me. Maybe too dramatic or something. It wasn't. I loved it! It was all believable and actually quite beautiful. It was predictable, in a good way. I wanted it to happen. I was willing it too. And it did. I enjoyed the characters. Even with their pain and situations, I could tell what kind of people they were and I knew I wanted to get to know them better. I wanted to see good things happen for Meg and Matt. They dese...more
Katie Watkins
I really enjoyed this debut novel by Kaylee Baldwin!! She did a terrific job with the characters.

Meg is a newlywed, but finds herself slapped with a divorce, only a few months after the wedding. Soon after that, she discovers that she's pregnant and faces the future as a single mom. I really liked that Meg wasn't perfect--she seemed so real to me: insecure, struggling with herself and the expectations she placed upon herself, and trying to figure out who she really is.

I loved the journey that sh
Inspired Kathy
Well done! Giveaway coming 1/20

I've been so impressed with the LDS Fiction I have read recently. There are some amazing new LDS authors and Kaylee Baldwin is one of them. This is a fabulous debut and I certainly hope we see more great things from Kaylee in the near future.

I really enjoy LDS fiction that has flawed characters that struggle with their faith. Meg's Melody has a great story that explores faith, family relationships, divorce, pregnancy, trials, love and loss without being cheesy or p...more
Alicia
For being a book so outside my preferred genre (I'm a non-fiction junkie) this book wasn't too bad. It wasn't miserable to read and I wasn't rolling my eyes the whole time. However, I don't believe the reason the main character gave for just up and walking away from the church after 23 years of being a faithful attendee. Just because some guy said hello to her and paid her attention? I have found that maybe that is the FINAL straw for someone, but usually they have years of doubt and fear and re...more
Rachel
I read this for Kaylee two summers ago and was thrilled to get to read this again. I was eager to see the changes she made and see what kinds of things she kept the same. I was very impressed all around! Kaylee's characters are realistic, and it was fun getting to know them. I LOVE the romance in this book. Not because of all the kissing (although there's some of that too) but because of the journeys the characters take to get them to where they care for each other. It is very sweet.

So basicall...more
Maggie Fechner
Meg's Melody by Kaylee Baldwin is a delightful new LDS romance novel. The book's characters are amazingly relatable; the flow is easy and quick-paced; and the conclusion is one you'll wait anxiously for on the edge of your seat.

This book pulled me in from the start. Meg seems to be left behind again and again in her life, and I think that is something we can all relate to at one point or another. She is jealous of her sister's marriage, her mother's and sister's close relationship, and everyone...more
Annalisa
This is a modern lds fiction that is on the Whitney Award finalist list. I found myself getting caught up in the story. It held an interesting twist with the main characters pregnancy and how her relationship developed with Matt Wilkes. I enjoyed her own self discovery of her true worth. Dr. Wilkes was a delightful love interest character with his own stage of developments to go through as well.

Amazon Product Description:
Jenn
The fact that I couldn't put this book down and finished it in less than a week should say something. From start to finish, this book was am amazing.

I know I have mentioned this before, but I am one of those that tire of the formulated LDS novels. I often look for something a little different, and this is one of them. Kaylee Baldwin writes a unique story that still has the good feeling that you find in LDS literature, but steps away from the formula.

My copy had several questions in the back, ma...more
Melody Workman
I loved it! (And not just because my name is Melody...) It was one of the first Romance books I read. It is very sweet. I read it five times and enjoyed reading it every time.
Julie
I liked this book. It was a sweet story and interesting to see it from the typical point of view these stories come in a lot.
Darla
(Genre:LDS fiction/romance) Good LDS girl Meg, drifts away from her family and values while away at college and ends up marrying a nonmember. The marriage doesn't last long (he cheats on her) and this book starts with her realizing that he has left her and filed for divorce. A month later she is officially single again but then realizes that she is pregnant. Meg struggles to come to grips with her mistakes and find a way back spiritually, while dealing with the consequences of her choices.
This...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Pixar is not just for kids their motto-"Story is King" applies to writers of ALL genres. A well written story is what makes Stephanie Meyer a rock star while the rest of us can only keep trying.
I tried to sympathize with Meg but too many details were glaringly absent starting with the characters psyche. People just don't act like this IRL. How many divorcee's in YOUR home ward wouldn't be trampling poor Meg into the ground just to get a piece of Matt or Johnny-the last two single men left on ear...more
Christine Jensen
A sweet book telling a story of love, loss, and hope in the future. Meg came home from work to find a note from her husband that simply said, "I'm sorry." And just like that her world turned upside down. A divorce, followed shortly by the discovery that she was pregnant with her ex-husband's baby, are the just beginning. Worse are her feelings of low self-worth. She gave up so much for her ex (particularly her activity in the church), and now she is climbing her way back to who she really is ins...more
Paige
I really liked the characters in this book. It was a sweet story about change, finding yourself and forgiveness.
Jennifer Griffith
I recently read this fine book by exciting new author Kaylee Baldwin. Kaylee has drawn such real characters and made their situations full of tension and tenderness. I enjoyed the story, and sometimes I find myself wondering how those people are doing now...like they were real. It's a good, clean LDS read, and has an interesting twist: girl, pregnant, gets dumped by husband and must face pregnancy alone, but meets interesting new OB-GYN... The joy is in the journey of Meg's life.
Maralee
2.5 stars. I wanted to like this one after reading all the gushing reviews but it fell flat for me. I think the main problem I had was not connecting with the characters--I couldn't like them enough to care about them. Meg was not that nice and her family seemed shallow. And the story seemed to follow a strict outline full of stereotypes. I felt a good story was there--it just got lost in the writing.
Heather
I was close to giving this book 4 stars, but I really wanted to see more of Meg's musical view of the world come into play. Her mother's "melody" is only mentioned once. It was a really cool and unique concept but is only touched upon once more when Matt pries it from her. This characterization was a fabulous idea and would have made the story richer, but for some reason was glossed over. Interesting plot overall.
Aimee
I stayed up way too late last night to finish up this book. I just had to get to that happily ever after ending I was hoping would come. I like the real life struggles in this book that didn't just get whisked away. It was real world stuff without dragging down when it's the real world we live in. I liked the characters here and I enjoyed the message. LDS fiction, clean. :)
Jenny Morris
I liked this book. Matt and his daughter are my favorite characters. I loved how the romance was slow, and very sweet. Meg did have me wanting to pull her aside from time to time, but it made her character relatable. She didn't have everything figured out. Even though it's LDS, that doesn't dominate the story, it just enhances who the characters are.

All in all, an enjoyable read.
Jolene Perry
I stayed up to 2 am to finish this book on the night before a VERY busy day.

Kaylee is a tremendously talented writer. I can't wait for her next to hit shelves!

It was a fabulous romance, with an incredibly fun little girl thrown in the mix and a very lovable Meg.

Also - for a while - I used a quote from this book (look for something involving a blender) as my gmail tagline :D
Heidi
I loved this book. There was a lot of drama that continued throughout the book. This was an easy read and read it in one sitting. The author kept me up all night reading. The only negative is that I would have liked to read on about what happened after Melody was born. What happened with Meg and Matt. Then also the other two men. I would read this book again.
Melanie Jacobson
Really, really close to 4 stars for me. A couple of the characters were just slightly too flat, but not in a distracting way. The story moved well despite a few plot points (mainly in the backstory) that were a tad fuzzy. But I looked forward to picking it up again each time I put it down, and that's huge for me. I found Meg to be immensely sympathetic.
Julie Ford
A great story of heartache, healing and then moving on to a better new life. The story was somewhat predictable but I wanted so bad for Meg to not make the same mistake she'd made with her first husband that it kept me riveted. And then I just really enjoyed Baldwin's voice and her writing style. The story flowed effortlessly from the pages.
Gayle
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this LDS fiction story. I loved the characters with all their flaws, especially Meg and the way she changed throughout the story. I also loved the music aspect of the story but wish there had been more about that part of Meg's personality and how she felt the music in everyone around her.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
I really enjoyed this LDS book! It had all the aspects of a good story: good characters, hardship, happiness, and a good ending. I felt like the characters were realistic as they tried to deal with loss, divorce, and one of them becoming a single mother as they struggled to find healing and happiness.
  • Second Chances
  • Montana Summer
  • Luck of the Draw
  • Spare Change
  • Fair Catch
  • Cross My Heart
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • Time and Eternity
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Family by Design
  • Band of Sisters  (Band Of Sisters, #1)
  • Chocolate Roses
  • Previously Engaged
  • What the Doctor Ordered
  • A Way Back To You
  • Finding Rose
  • The Fourth Nephite (The Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • The Upside of Down
Silver Linings (A Ripple Effect Romance Novella, Book 2) Six Days of Christmas (A Holiday Romance Novella) All I Want The Ripple Effect Romance Boxed Set