Start by marking “Beyond the Farthest Star” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Farthest Star

Beyond the Farthest Star

Cover Illustration: Jim Burns
124 pages
Published August 1976 by Tandem Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Farthest Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Farthest Star

Metaphorosis
Dec 04, 2015 Metaphorosis rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2015-rev
3 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

Shot through the heart, his fighter plane falling to certain death, a man suddenly finds himself on the distant world of Poloda - 500,000 light years away. With not one word of the language, in a world at war, he nonetheless finds himself a place among the brave citizens of Unis.

It's a bit of a surprise to find Edgar Rice Burroughs conversant with calculation of light years. There's no good reason he shouldn't be, but I've always thought of him as the fantasy end o
Emily
Sep 06, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I had recently become quite disenchanted with Burroughs' Princess of Mars series as it seemed to have become by the third installment an endless cycle of fight, win, have loved one kidnapped, rescue them, discover more scary aliens, fight, etc. and I expected this book to be more of the same. Particularly when it began in much the same way: our hero is mysteriously transported via unexplained means to another planet which is remarkably similar to ...more
Derek
Jun 26, 2014 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's astonishing how briskly this book moves. Burroughs outdoes himself in getting through his usual framing device, this time not bothering to conceal its essentially magical nature, and then dispensing with all the preliminary hey-how-did-I-suddenly-get-here stuff, and then into the story proper.

The contexts of the two halves were what struck me, with the earlier section--written 1941--deeply influenced by the bombings and air combat of World War II, and the posthumously-published later half b
Eva
Oct 22, 2013 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini terdiri dari dua novela, "Adventure on Poloda" dan "Tangor Returns".

Adventure on Poloda menceritakan saat Tangor tiba di planet Poloda, adaptasi Tangor sebagai penduduk Poloda, serta tugas militer yang menyebabkannya terdampar di suatu pulau yang sudah diluluhlantakkan Kapar, Punos.

Tangor Returns diawali dengan mistis, penulis terbangun dan mendengar ketukan mesin tik oleh jari Tangor yang tak terlihat. Suasananya terasa mencekam buat saya. Dan mulailah Tangor mengisahkan kisah sekemba
Ronald
read between summer 1970 & summer 1974
MB Taylor
Beyond the Farthest Star (1941, 1964) is not one of Burroughs best. This novel is really two novellas, “Beyond the Farthest Star” (1941) and “Tangor Returns” (1964). “Tangor Returns” wasn’t published during Burroughs’ life; it was discovered, unpublished, among his papers over a decade after his death.

On the first page of story (after the obligatory framing sequence, explaining how the text came into being) the hero, a pilot during WWII whose true name we never learn, is shot down in a dog figh
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Jun 06, 2014 Wilson E. Stevens Sr. rated it really liked it
I thought I had read all of Edgar Rice Burroughs books, and then I found this the other day when I was cleaning my office out. I couldn't remember reading it, and so read it again. However I hadn't ever read it. Like many of his books, the primary character dies in an airplane crash fighting in the war over Germany. He wakes up in a beautiful park under a strange sun, with a number of large moons or planets overhead. A woman screams at his nudity, and that starts his problems. Eventually he is ...more
William Stafford
Jul 29, 2014 William Stafford rated it really liked it
The protagonist is in the mould of John Carter, transported instantaneously and unexpectedly to a far-off world where he enlists to fight in an ongoing civil war. Unlike Barsoom, the planet Peloda is technologically advanced with buildings that sink into the ground when the warnings sound. Tangor is a cocky narrator with a strong vein of humour - a counterpoint to the anti-war sentiments. Written in 1941 but not published until a couple of decades later, the book contains some stark admonitions ...more
Jim
Jul 13, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
One of Burroughs' last stories and in this one we leave Mars, Venus, and the rest of the solar system to go to Poloda, a planet 450,000 light-years from Earth. Our hero is killed in World War II and awakens on Poloda where he is named "Tangor." It turns out there's a world war going on there and Tangor gets involved. Really a so so story from ERB, but what's most interesting is that for this story he created a completely new solar system, with eleven planets circling the star Omos, Poloda being ...more
Kristy
Nov 04, 2012 Kristy rated it liked it
Not the most well-developed Burroughs story, but I think we can forgive him since half of the book was published in an adventure magazine in 1941 and the second part was found in his papers and published in book form 14 years after his death. A pilot is shot down by German planes during WWII and after his heart stops, but before he hits the ground, he wakes up, nude, on another planet light-years from Earth. It takes a little convincing, but eventually his odd story is believed and he is allowed ...more
Jay Michaels
I found the e-book version of this novel (published c. 1941) several months ago, but finally got around to reading it. Two episodes are contained, there's a cliffhanger ending, and... Edgar Rice Burroughs *never got back to this series.* (mock sobbing)

Too bad, because he did a good job of setting up a new playground for himself. The self-effacing protagonist is a fighter pilot who finds himself a *very* long way from home.

ERB uses a seemingly endless war on another planet to comment on warfare
Jeff J.
Aug 10, 2014 Jeff J. rated it really liked it
Superficially, this is yet another of Burroughs' cookie-cutter, fish out of water stories. But at the same time it delivers a timeless message about the dangers of pacifism and the horror of what he calls "Total War". This was undoubtably intentional, the copyright date is 1941, the onset of World War II. Unlike most of his writing, this is a standalone book, not part of an extended series.
Gregory
This was one of the 3 books that got me interested in reading science fiction thanks to a high school teacher many, many years ago. When I occasionally venture into a used book store, I always keep an eye out for a copy of this book. One day, a clean used copy will call to me off of a dusty shelf and we'll be reunited.
Ailish
Nov 05, 2011 Ailish rated it really liked it
This could have been the beginning of an enjoyable series. It's a pity that it never turned into one. Set in a world shaped by a century of total war, it is interesting to read in light of the audience for whom I think it was originally written during WWII. Plus everyone wears sequins and coloured boots.
Norman Cook
Written and published at the beginning of World War II, this is an overt anti-war adventure that shows how easy it is to become embroiled in never-ending conflict. The story itself is a bit of a rehash of some of Burroughs' other heroes, which may be why there was never a sequel, despite the cliff-hanger ending. Nevertheless, it's an entertaining diversion.
Rick Hautala
Apr 05, 2011 Rick Hautala rated it liked it
I read a Burroughs book every now and then to remind myself of wen I was a kid and could chew through books uncritically as long as the story ripped along ... Well, this one was a disappointment even for Edgar Rice ... It seems hurried and slap-dash with little development of action or characters ... No real thrills ...
Todd
Mar 04, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from burroughs, really has some unique science fiction ideas, and portrays great thought out characters. I believe he never finished the second version of this book "a return to" but some of that has been published as well.
Jeff Doten

I enjoyed the first half/story although the ending made me think someone called out "Ed, supper !" and he just wrapped it up there. The second part is Sneaking Story and ERB's Sneaking Stories always bore me to death so I didn't finish it.
Tjallien De witte
Dec 03, 2016 Tjallien De witte rated it liked it
Quick fun read, the book just stopped , which is both an intresting thing imagination wise. But still a bit frustrating for there is no closure.
Jim
Dec 07, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: jim-s
Edgar Rice Burroughs had so many great ideas. He is a good author and I loved reading his books in the summers under the elm tree in my back yard when I was a teenager.
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Christopher Sutch
Christopher Sutch rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2009
John W.  Redelfs
John W. Redelfs rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
Kerry Evans
Kerry Evans rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2013
John Archer
John Archer rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Lawrence Schoen
Lawrence Schoen rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Steve Davidson
Steve Davidson rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Edward
Edward rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2009
Thomas Cardin
Thomas Cardin rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Tomlucas624
Tomlucas624 rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • The Castle of the Otter
  • Distant Stars
  • Doctor Who: The Space Pirates
  • Almuric
  • Doctor Who and the Masque of Mandragora
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Red Orc's Rage (World of Tiers #6)
  • Island of the Mighty
  • Gentlemen Be Seated
  • Headhunters (Shadowrun, #27)
  • Wolfbane
  • One Step from Earth
  • Alone Against Tomorrow: Stories of Alienation in Speculative Fiction
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...