Start by marking “Alas, Babylon” as Want to Read:
Alas, Babylon

Alas, Babylon

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,752 Ratings  ·  2,199 Reviews
"Alas, Babylon..."
Those fateful words heralded the end. In seconds, the unthinkable nightmare of nuclear war ravaged America. For millions it was instant death; for tens of millions more, it was a living nightmare of hunger, sickness and brutality. Overnight, a thousand years of civilization was stripped away, leaving only maked passions behind.

But for one small Florida to
Published February 1st 1984 by Spectra (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Alas, Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alas, Babylon

Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 09, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
”And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication
and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for
her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying,
Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one
hour is thy judgment come. “ Revelations

photo AlasBabylon1stEd_zps41442c8f.jpg
The cover art of the American First Edition from 1959.

Randy Bragg comes from a long line of prestigious individuals. He, unfortunately, has never found a way to live
Alissa
May 27, 2014 Alissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was published in 1959, and it feels like it every step of the way. The plot is compelling enough, but the writing is incredibly wooden. I actually laughed out loud at some of the passages, and not in a nice way. The author drags us through 100 pages of rising action, which is annoying because it adds nothing to the plot, and we all know the bomb is going to hit before we even read the blurb on the back cover.

The racism and sexism are also pretty terrible. Even after the freakin' nucle
Stephen
nuclearmissle-1-1v2

NuclearWar-1v2

nuclear-war-1rjfy-1v2

4.5 to 5.0 stars. I think the above pictures and quotes express a lot better than my words ever could what I would like to say in this review about the power and eloquence of Pat Frank's 1959 story about the folly and danger of Nuclear war. I can not imagine a better novel about the immediate after-effects of a global nuclear war than what is presented here.

True, the fact that anyone is left alive after the war does tend to make the novel anachronistic. But since, a “war begins and everyone i
karen
another great survival book! this one was surprising because it didnt feel dated at all, even though it was written in 1959. it makes me wish there were maybe 200 more pages, particularly about rita, who is how i would want to be in the aftermath: shotgun. high heels. stockpiles.i love the image, but the reality is more that i would be in the library, probably rereading this book for tips. meta. to sum it up in a few words: armadillos, glasses, honey, kaboom. and two things i learned, to continu ...more
Jim
Review May2013 Reading again with the "Books, Movies, TV and Life" group. It's been 4 years since I last read this. That's more often than I probably should, but I'll see how it goes.

Frank provides a very short introduction to the novel that is interesting. He was a journalist & had more than a passing knowledge of our strategic thinking of the time. His Wikipedia entry is quite brief.

I was born the year this novel came out, yet the times & mind set
Carol.
Apr 17, 2016 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the pastoral apocalypse
Recommended to Carol. by: Naomi
Alas, Babylon was one of the more perplexing literary experiences I’ve had this year. Written by Pat Frank, it’s the story of Randy Bragg and a small Florida town, Fort Repose, after America and the Soviet Union declare war in the late 1950s.

Randy’s doing nothing much in the family house in Fort Repose, Florida except drinking and charming local women–with the exception of his neighbor Florence, who suspects him of being a Peeping Tom–when his brother sends a cable with their code phrase, Alas,
Michael
UPDATED below--in honor of a GR reading group

A satisfying account of a community surviving a nuclear Holocaust in isolation from the rest of the world. It was written in 1959, so it set a precedent for all the apocalypse literature that followed. Instead of the perhaps more plausible temporary survival of human society in Nevil Chute's "On the Beach", this tale of a rural central Florida community blessed with favorable winds on the day the missiles fly makes the story one of a successful long
Jon
Apr 01, 2013 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Valerie Neer
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jan 18, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of our planet and the continuation of the human race
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Jim MacLachlan
Published in 1959 the classic apocalyptic novel that stunned the world! Late to the party I’ve read very little classic Sci-Fi, a wonderful introduction. Bit of a slow build-up but persevere, not until the bomb drops does it really get interesting. Then it’s all action played out by a diverse group of characters, plenty worthy of rooting for.
Because she shared my name I couldn’t help but love the gossipy old biddy that worked for Western Union & new everybody's business. "Florence is a gupp
DeEllen
Jun 06, 2008 DeEllen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a letter I wrote to our family after reading this book. This book definitely gives you a lot to think about even if there isn't a nuclear holocaust, we could definitely find ourselves without resources for a number of other reasons. The people in the book had done no planning ahead, but managed to adapt. I think it is important to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Thus came the letter I drafted for our family....

Our Dearest Family,

Current events have given us a good reason to sto
Werner
Dec 20, 2013 Werner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of post-apocalyptic scenarios
Shelves: science-fiction
Even as a kid and a teen, I've always had a keen interest in fictional and dramatic post-apocalyptic scenarios; I've never tried to analyze why, but perhaps the appeal of this kind of speculation is that it speaks to deep-seated modern fears and concerns about the future that all of us feel. It's a theme that's been around in science fiction since the early 19th century. In the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and under the tension of the Cold War, fear of nuclear war was pervasive, not only ...more
Althea Ann
A re-read - but, at my best guess, I previously read this just about exactly 30 years ago. It was a ubiquitous presence on library and bookstore shelves. (The paperback with this cover: https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327598...)

I couldn't have told you the details, but re-reading (for post-apocalyptic book club, of course), it was striking how certain images came back to me with such clear familiarity - the radiation burn around a woman's finger from irradiated jewelry, for example.

In style, the
Mary JL
Mar 25, 2015 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in politic or history or a story of human survival
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This was probably one of the very first "end of the world" novels I read and it is still one of the best.

At the very end, one characters asks "Who won?" and another replied "why, we did" and "turned to begin the thousand year night". So much for winning a nuclear war.

Very scary and depressing, and unfortunately all to real on what life would be like after a nuclear exchange.
Fortunr
Mar 03, 2016 Fortunr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a compelling, atmospheric book about the physical, social and emotional consequences of nuclear war in a small Florida community.
This book was written in 1959, when the dangers of a nuclear conflagration were not negligible, but it feels surprisingly modern and relevant to modern sensibilities.
The crescendo of tension bringing to the actual trigger of the nuclear catastrophe, as well as the description of the event itself, are quite memorable and feel very realistic – unsettlingly so.
Marvin
Dec 23, 2011 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alas, Babylon was written in 1959 and is part of what I call the Trifecta of Nuclear Cold War novels. The first is Fail Safe which addresses how Nuclear War can be easily triggered though human error and simple stupidity. The second is On the Beach which deals with the possible end of humankind due to nuclear war. The third is Alas Babylon which takes play immediately after a first nuclear attack and deals with the hardships of surviving a nuclear attack. All three together adequately portrays t ...more
David
Jan 08, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small-town Floridians, jezebels with radioactive jewelry
Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon is a classic novel of post-nuclear war survival. Set in Fort Repose, Florida, a tiny town that is missed by the nuclear missiles that level all major cities in the U.S., it is less Cold War science fiction than a survivalist epic.

The author of One Second After acknowledged this book as one of his inspirations, and the two books are very similar in many ways. Both feature the residents of a small Southern town forming a survivalist community in the wake of the collapse o
Sandi
I read "Alas, Babylon" during a vacation to Mammoth at the end of August, 2005. We had no TV, no newspapers and no radio for 4 days. When we got home, we learned about the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina. As I watched news reports about the aftermath, I kept thinking back to the incidents in this book. It was just a bit spooky and it made me realize how unprepared I am for a major disaster. It also made me wonder if it's even possible to be truly prepared for a disaster. Maybe it's your ...more
Liz Janet
May 03, 2016 Liz Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I recently read that this book inspired John Lennon on his anti-war views, and that it also inspired many other books with the same topic. This is an amazing apocalyptic book that gives an inside into nuclear warfare and survivalism, and should be read with caution.
A.J.
May 04, 2011 A.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
"Your grandfather used to walk to school in Fort Repose. When he was your age there weren't any school busses. When he couldn't hitch a ride in a buggy, or one of the early automobiles, he walked." Randy put his arm around the boy's shoulder. "Let's get going. I guess we'll both have to learn to walk again."

Part of our life in the modern era––even after the collapse of the Soviet Union and all that went with it––is the silent understanding that one day, perhaps quite unexpectedly, the world migh
Zach
Aug 02, 2010 Zach rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Well first off I have no idea why Day of the Triffids is always held up as the poster child of the cozy catastrophe phenomenon, because that is kind of this book's whole raison d'etre. What we have here, in fact, is a kind of anti-modern ode to the traditionally-minded small town communities of America, brought about (how else?) by means of the USSR removing the major cities of the nation and replacing them with smoking radioactive craters.

Did I mention this was published in 1959?

As a novel, th
Steve
Jul 30, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no surprise that this book has stood the test of time. More than a half-century later, it still worked, delivering a sobering (if not profoundly depressing), poignant, thought-provoking, and, in moments, transcendent experience. It's definitely one of the best post-apocalyptic (more real than dystopian) pieces I've read, and I now wish I'd read it sooner.

Nuclear holocaust and its aftermath - more grounded and practical and contextual than the speculative out-of-context dystopias such as The
Ioana
2.5 stars, rounded up
As a historical relic, Alas, Babylon is fascinating. Written just as things were heating up during the Cold War, it displays a level of paranoia that seems outrageous/laughable today, depending on your disposition. Still, I have no doubt it's accurate as a gauge for the mood of swaths of the public at the time (I'm old enough to remember the 80s from the "other side" of the world - in Bucharest, we lived in fear of nuclear fallout from any bombings unleashed on the USSR, an
Wayne Barrett
Actual 3.5 rating
I think something like Cormack McCarthy's 'The Road' might be a little more indicative of a post nuclear war world than what was presented here, but nevertheless, the story still brought home the reality of what could happen.
The book was written in the late 50's during the height of the atomic war fear and of course, technology was nowhere near what it is now. I think, even though we are not in a state of paranoia about nuclear was as they were then, we are a little more enlight
Kelly
May 19, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics, sf
"The classic apocalyptic novel that stunned the world" is across the front cover of this book. It was written in 1959 when fear of the atomic bomb was all-encompassing so I can only imagine how stunned people were to read this book when it came out.

The last apocalyptic novel I read was The Road and it was incredibly depressing. This one wasn't...while at times this book was chilling, it was filled with goodness and hope. In fact, it was a mirror image of the way I've always pictured things woul
Jen
Apr 28, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is in my toolbox for good reason. When the stuff starts hitting the fan and getting flung far and wide, I will be hunkered down in the public library looking to locate the salt licks and not breaking into the shoe store for some new Converse. Of course, I could just buy a block of salt and wait patiently, but where's the fun in that?

For a person of potentially guilty proportions (Where were you, Jen, when your children were hungry and bleeding and the stuff hit the fan?) this book is
Jackie
Considering it was published in 1959, it's held up very well. I can see the events of the book and their consequences happening in such a way if the unthinkable were to happen today. People don't change much.
Alas, Babylon is a compelling read, drawing me into the central characters' lives and making me care what happens to them. For a post-apocalyptic novel, it wasn't all doom and gloom; some opportunistic thugs but far more good people working together to survive as a community. The author is
Rachel
Some ideas I got from this book.

1. People will react to a crisis depending on their foundation: some will rise to the occassion, some will turn to evil and some will simply opt out because they can't face the challenge.

2. The teachings and concepts of Christianity aren't dependent on prosperity and peace to endure. In fact, they have their greatest hour in times of trial and crisis.

3. Barter is a legitimate form of trade, and it is a good idea to have a skill that can be bartered.

4. Acquire life
Richard Ward
Apr 14, 2015 Richard Ward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of post-apocalyptic fiction, especially of the nuclear holocaust variety.
First published in 1959, and solidly a product of its time. The government of the old Soviet Union drops numerous nuclear bombs on U.S. cities and on cities elsewhere. The heroes of the book live in a tiny town in central Florida. While no bomb is dropped directly on them, they still lose electrical power, running water, communication with the rest of the world, and the ability to trade with anyone outside of their little town. It is as though the small population of Americans left living has be ...more
Kathleen
Almost 4 stars. I listened to the 11-hour audiobook, narrated by Will Patton. This is one of the first novels describing the fallout of nuclear war, written in 1959, hard on the heels of Nevil Shute's apocalyptic On the Beach. As I read it, I found myself writing a list of survival essentials I should stock in my garage. Salt, for example. A spare pair of spectacles.

Told in 3rd person at a moderately flowing pace, this book is set in central Florida, in a small river-side community — a fictional
Valerie
Dec 23, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Mom
I read this when I was 10 or 11 because my mother believed that if I was physically capable of reading the words, I could read whatever books she had. I was terrified of nuclear war for the next five years. I'm actually still terrified by the idea, but I've learned to live with the fear. It would probably seem dated now, but it was a well done book when I read it.
Alas Babylon 7 98 Oct 22, 2015 11:04PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Audible Daily Deal: Alas, Babylon 2 18 Nov 23, 2013 08:40AM
The Jasmine Tea S...: Alas, Babylon 1 6 Sep 29, 2013 06:04AM
Kindle Book Club ...: SPOILER ALERT: Discussion, Alas Babylon, Completed Reading 5 19 Sep 29, 2013 04:13AM
Kindle Book Club ...: Discussion, Alas Babylon, Reading In Progress 5 17 Sep 08, 2013 10:03AM
  • Earth Abides
  • On the Beach
  • Greybeard
  • Emergence
  • The Rift
  • The Wild Shore (Three Californias Triptych, #1)
  • The Last Ship
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • When Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #1)
  • Lucifer's Hammer
  • The Long Tomorrow
  • Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
"Pat Frank" was the lifelong nickname adopted by the American writer, newspaperman, and government consultant, who was born Harry Hart Frank and who is remembered today almost exclusively for his post-apocalyptic novel Alas, Babylon. Before the publication of his first novel Mr. Adam launched his second career as novelist and independent writer, Frank spent many years as a journalist and informati ...more
More about Pat Frank...

“I love you. I worry about you. I wonder whether I tell you enough how I love you and want you and need you and how I am diminished . . . when you are not with me and how I am multiplied when you are here.” 17 likes
“If Man retained faith in God, he might also retain faith in Man.” 14 likes