Start by marking “Ocean Babies” as Want to Read:
Ocean Babies

Ocean Babies

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"Big as a bus and smaller than seeds, billions of babies are born in the ocean...." This opening line and later refrain entices readers into a magical, real-life world. Through lyrical, read aloud text and light-hearted and beautiful illustration, Ocean Babies presents the animal babies of the ocean. The giant blue whale contrasts with tiny coral polyps, sea horses pop fro ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Ocean Babies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ocean Babies

Romelle
Simple story with a whimsical narration about the cycle of life in the ocean. Beautiful water colors by Hiroe Nakata. Four-page back matter include interesting facts about the marine life with the reiteration of the text from the book. I appreciated the back matter more than the book itself, but it is wonderful for engaging children in spiking interest in wanting to learn more about the ocean life. Perfect for K-1.
Kandice Buck
Sep 16, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
This book is not only adorable but its educational. It teaches about all of the little babies in the ocean and where they are located. One aspect about this book that I love is that in the back there are two pages giving detailed explanations about every animal discussed during the book. I will definitely use this book in my classroom.
Asho
Jun 16, 2012 Asho rated it really liked it
I love marine life, especially marine mammals, so I really enjoyed these water color illustrations of mother and baby ocean animals. The text is simple and short, but somehow manages to balance didactic scientific facts with more poetic language. This would work for many age groups. For my baby, it's a quick bedtime story. Older children would appreciate the pictures, and there is a glossary of facts about all of the featured animals at the end of the book that could be tacked on to story time f ...more
Miss Sarah
Aug 03, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, babies, ocean
A simple and beautiful book about the different babies born in the ocean. Each baby is explained in simple terms with some trait they possess. Like the water color pictures most of the time and simple texts. Any age group.
Courtney Bowman
Ocean Babies go through books from all over the ocean and talk about how they eat, how they swim, very useful information. The talk is not extremely babyish, so older children until about third grade might like this book.
Kristy
Oct 13, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
There are not many words in this book, which is great for younger children. As a text, I didn't find it very inspiring, but the illustrations are gorgeous! They look to be watercolor paintings and they are wonderful.
Joy
The scientific facts at the end of the book are appreciated, but they make this book a better read for a one-on-one situation than a one-on-many storytime.
Samantha
Sep 06, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations are beautiful! I love the color palette that was chosen. The ocean babies are so adorable!! =)
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
WCNS
WCNS added it
Apr 14, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Halli
Halli rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Aaliyah Hopkins
Aaliyah Hopkins rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Kathy Pelletier
Kathy Pelletier marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Owly
Owly added it
Sep 29, 2015
Inara
Inara rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015