Start by marking “Ocean Babies” as Want to Read:
Ocean Babies

Ocean Babies

"Big as a bus and smaller than seeds, billions of babies are born in the ocean...." This opening line and later refrain entices readers into a magical, real-life world. Through lyrical, read aloud text and light-hearted and beautiful illustration, Ocean Babies presents the animal babies of the ocean. The giant blue whale contrasts with tiny coral polyps, sea horses pop ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Ocean Babies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ocean Babies

Brooke
Nov 16, 2016 Brooke rated it really liked it
This is a good book for those who love animals.
Asho
Jun 16, 2012 Asho rated it really liked it
I love marine life, especially marine mammals, so I really enjoyed these water color illustrations of mother and baby ocean animals. The text is simple and short, but somehow manages to balance didactic scientific facts with more poetic language. This would work for many age groups. For my baby, it's a quick bedtime story. Older children would appreciate the pictures, and there is a glossary of facts about all of the featured animals at the end of the book that could be tacked on to story time ...more
Romelle
Simple story with a whimsical narration about the cycle of life in the ocean. Beautiful water colors by Hiroe Nakata. Four-page back matter include interesting facts about the marine life with the reiteration of the text from the book. I appreciated the back matter more than the book itself, but it is wonderful for engaging children in spiking interest in wanting to learn more about the ocean life. Perfect for K-1.
Kandice Buck
Sep 16, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
This book is not only adorable but its educational. It teaches about all of the little babies in the ocean and where they are located. One aspect about this book that I love is that in the back there are two pages giving detailed explanations about every animal discussed during the book. I will definitely use this book in my classroom.
Courtney Bowman
Ocean Babies go through books from all over the ocean and talk about how they eat, how they swim, very useful information. The talk is not extremely babyish, so older children until about third grade might like this book.
Miss Sarah
Aug 03, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, babies, ocean
A simple and beautiful book about the different babies born in the ocean. Each baby is explained in simple terms with some trait they possess. Like the water color pictures most of the time and simple texts. Any age group.
Kristy
Oct 13, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
There are not many words in this book, which is great for younger children. As a text, I didn't find it very inspiring, but the illustrations are gorgeous! They look to be watercolor paintings and they are wonderful.
Joy
The scientific facts at the end of the book are appreciated, but they make this book a better read for a one-on-one situation than a one-on-many storytime.
Samantha
Sep 06, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations are beautiful! I love the color palette that was chosen. The ocean babies are so adorable!! =)
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Jenna Friebel
Jenna Friebel rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Athena
Athena rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
C.
C. rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Anita
Anita rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Inara
Inara rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Beka
Beka rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2011
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
S
S rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Erica Chapman
Erica Chapman rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013