Start by marking “Centipede's One Hundred Shoes” as Want to Read:
Centipede's One Hundred Shoes

Centipede's One Hundred Shoes

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Have fun with numbers in this hilarious new picture book by master storyteller and illustrator Tony Ross.

“One hundred shoes, please!” said the little centipede. “Fifty left ones, and fifty right ones.”
“Why do you want one hundred?” asked the shoe seller.
“Because I’m a centipede, which means a hundred feet,” said the little centipede.

But when are one hundred shoes too many...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Centipede's One Hundred Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centipede's One Hundred Shoes

Molly Robbins
This book is not one that I would preferably want to use in my classroom to integrate a successful math lesson. There is not a lot of depth in the math throughout it, and in my mind it was a little bit confusing. I liked the fact that it was working on subtraction. It talks throughout the story about the centipede having a lot of shoes then having some left over. It goes on to say the same thing about his socks. During the story, the reader has to figure out how many he has left. An activity the...more
Caroline
Little centipede stubs his toe and wants new shoes to protect his feet. However, putting them on and taking them off again takes so long (especially when he gets socks for each of his feet).

There are several footwear-related books I like to read, and this is at the top of them. It's cute and informative to teach children about centipedes (their name means 100 feet, but they usually only have around 46) and I ask them how they would feel if they had to put on that many shoes each morning. Maybe a...more
Melanie
A little centipede stubs a toe and his mother decides to buy him 100 pairs of shoes. Problem is, centipedes usually only have 42 pairs of legs. But it still takes the little centipede a good while to get all of his shoes on and tied. He then finds that the new shoes hurt his feet. So his aunts begin to knit him socks. Only, now it takes little centipede until lunchtime to get all of his socks on and then after lunch he puts on all of his shoes and ties the laces. The next day he finally decides...more
Vanessa Peavy
WOW! Such a cute book. This book is great can be used to do so many activities. It has problem solving, addition, subtraction and subtraction. You can also read this book for the younger grades on the 100th day of school. I would probably give each group of students a character out of the book along with problem solving questions that they would have to figure out. Also a graph can be made to show how many legs each character in the book has, then problem solve to figure out how many shoues they...more
Christina Camp
I really enjoyed this book. It is about a centipede who decided he wanted to buy some shoes, but by the end of the story he realized it was too much work to put on shoes and socks every morning and take them off again at night. He decided to go and give all of his 100 shoes to all of his friends. This book is good for teaching about bugs and also about counting and putting things into pairs.
Chloe Alexander
This is a cute book that can help with counting to one hundred and would be a good book to read on the 100th day of school. It's also a good way to teach young kids that "centi-" means one hundred. You could use the book for activities, like figuring out how many friends Centipede could give shoes away to if all his friends had 6 feet, how many shoes would be left over, etc.
Rachel
Centipede bumps his foot, and his mother suggets that he buys shoes so he won't hurt his feet anymore. But the shoes hurt his feet, so he buys socks to go with them. But he spends so much time putting on and taking off his socks and shoes that he decides to just go back to the way he was and gives away his socks and shoes to all of his other insect friends.
The Reading Countess
I checked this book out at my school library in hopes of tying it in to my youngest son's 100th day of school. Although the number is mentioned, the shoe issue for the centipede overrides the number concept, and so my initial thought about how to use this book with him were sunk. Still, an enjoyable book for both of us!
Jess
Such a cute story with very colorful pictures. About a centipede who hurts one of his feet and needs shoes, then socks, but then hates putting them on all the time and gives them away to his many insect friends.
Andrea
I read this to a first grade class celebrating the 100th day of school. Not only was it not a success, it bored me to tears. I think its a fun idea, but poorly written.
Janice Redding
This is a cute little book that introduces centi as a prefix of 100. Therefore, this is a great read for first graders to learn science units and a good leg way to count to 100.
Betsy
Good for addition and subtraction. Could also use it to lead to a math station: how many ways can the centipede divide up his shoes among his friends evenly? Grades K-2.
Rachel
My sons specifically asked me to get this book again--no better book recommendation in my mind!
Interesting book for math.
Good for doing subtraction
Ruth Ann
Most centipedes don't actually have 100 legs!
Angela
great book for teaching about 100
Vincent Tankalaw
Vincent Tankalaw marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Katy
Katy added it
Jul 08, 2014
V.
V. marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Olja
Olja is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Sarahjb2674
Sarahjb2674 marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Meet the illustrator
What is your favourite animal?
A cat
What is your favourite boy’s name?
Bill
What is your favourite girl’s name?
Roxanne
What is your favourite food?
Lobster
What is your favourite music?
Irish
What is your favourite hobby?
Sailing
More about Tony Ross...
I Want My Potty! I Want My Light On!: A Little Princess Story I Want Two Birthdays! I Want to Do It Myself! (Little Princess Stories) Drat That Cat!