Start by marking “The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide” as Want to Read:
The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide

The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Designed for educators by the teacher who nurtured and created the Freedom Writers, this standards-based teachers’ guide includes innovative teaching techniques that will engage, empower, and enlighten.
In response to thousands of letters and e-mails from teachers across the country who learned about Erin Gruwell and her amazing students in The Freedom Writers Diary, Erin G
Published October 2nd 2007 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide

Charles
May 09, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Freedom writers, a book written by students, made into a great movie. But what makes this book so good. Is it how it is based on true events, or is it how these kids survived in the "ghetto" or is it how it can a teacher almost a years worth of assignments. Well what ever it is this is definitely a 5 star book to me.

True events is always a key in a book. The difference between this book and any other book is what these teenagers went through. Some of these went through gang wars, killings, robbe
Teacherman
Jun 02, 2013 Teacherman rated it it was amazing
The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide is a how-to manual on creating community in the classroom and tolerance in the minds of your students through writing. The book works as a stand-alone resource, but can also be use even more effectively with the original book, "The Freedom Writers Diary," and the movie based on the book, "The Freedom Writers" starring Hillary Swank.
The book ties lessons used in the movie to national standards with step-by-step instructions on how to make the magic happ
Erin Soat
May 19, 2015 Erin Soat rated it it was amazing
The Freedom Writers Diary is a book about a topic that we still face today. As Erin's students learned more about how awful stereotyping was, they started to become who they truly wanted to be. These are the kids that are in the slums of New Jersey, how do you think this would go?

I love everything about this book. The fact that these are real students with real problems, makes this so realistic and relatable. It sends a great message that people still aren't grasping today. Racism and stereotypi
Aidan Smith

Freedom Writers is a non-fiction book about the kids in the slums in Long Beach. It’s about the kids in the projects and the hood in Long Beach. Most of the kids have been put down or introduced to a bad life ever since they were born. Many of the parents are druggies,cheaters, or just a plain bad influence on their children. Of course, there are some exceptions who are doing the best they can to support their children. Most of the children grow up to be gangsters or drug dealers. Though most o
Karen
Mar 02, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
The movie does not do justice to this inspiring story. The students' personal lives are interwoven with the activities that Erin Gruwell plans for them throughout their high school career. For anyone who teaches, this book is an inspiration. What was most amazing was seeing the changes in attitude that the students expressed and trying to figure out which journal entries were by the same person to see the changes in attitude of specific individuals.
Autumn
Mar 22, 2011 Autumn rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Great guide for teachers of all levels. Detailed instructions on how to use every activity most effectively in your own class, and comments from students and other teachers regarding each activity. Ideas for discussion, videos, vocabulary, and get-to-know-you activities. Great for individual, class, and pair work, as well as building a classroom community.
Diamond
Did you ever feel that no one ever paid attention or listen to you? Well in this book a teacher aloud student to write what they wanted to get heard but remain annomymous. I really liked this book because no one really care about urban kids, she was very caring to do somthing like this, and it inspried me.

First of all,
Allicia
Sep 02, 2010 Allicia rated it it was amazing
amazing. learned a lot. feeling inspired. :0)
Daivon 2010
Jun 10, 2008 Daivon 2010 rated it really liked it
Freedom Writers, a book written by students, made into a great movie. But what makes this book so good. Is it how it is based on true events, or is it how these kids survived in the "ghetto" or is it how it can a teacher almost a years worth of assignments. Well what ever it is this is definitely a 5 star book to me.

Amity Dow
May 18, 2015 Amity Dow rated it it was amazing
I give this book a 5/5 start rating, because it is not only written well but gives people hope that people really can change for the better. It shows the way the world is being treated and how people need to stick up for themselves. It gives you different peoples point of views on things that many people can relate to. It educates people of the past and the present and is an inspiring novel.
Madison
May 16, 2015 Madison rated it really liked it
I thought this book was great in that it was raw and the anecdotal setup was a nice break from the usual overdone descriptions. I thought the personal stories were enlightening and it does put things in perspective, for sure. I'd recommend it to all who want to see things in a different light and won't be bothered by some minor grammatical errors and slight diversion in topics.
Biruhati Syaheed
Mar 22, 2008 Biruhati Syaheed rated it liked it
I read the book after i saw the movie tih my wife. My wife a teacher and she said it's an inspiring story. The students' personal lives are interwoven with the activities that Erin Gruwell plans for them throughout their high school career. For anyone who teaches, this book is an inspiration. What was most amazing was seeing the changes in attitude that the students expressed and trying to figure out which journal entries were by the same person to see the changes in attitude of specific individ ...more
Lexi
Jun 10, 2015 Lexi rated it it was amazing
Very touching and intriguing book. Another book that I couldn't put down. I'd strongly recommend this book.
Jade
Apr 07, 2015 Jade rated it it was amazing
this was a very good book i would recommend it
Moi Ni
Feb 17, 2016 Moi Ni marked it as to-read
its nice.
Shirin
Dec 23, 2008 Shirin rated it liked it
I read this book a while ago and remember feeling inspired by Gruwell's commitment to her students and her ability to create curriculum that really exemplifies social justice at its best... At the same time, I can't help but be disheartened by the fact that she left teaching so early on in her career, which makes me wonder about how to celebrate longevity of teaching careers instead of just glorifying "one shot deals". That being said, I don't mean to demean the amazing work she did...
Charles
Jun 06, 2010 Charles added it
Shelves: q4
This book is about a really bad school where the kids didnt care the least bit about school and there were rival gangs and they put the whole school at danger by fighting. These kids direspect all their teachers but one really nice teacher came in for them and they were the same way to her at first but then the teacher really wanted them to learn something. she taught them to appreciate writing and then they started to love writing, true story
Karamo
Jun 02, 2009 Karamo rated it it was amazing
My review for this book is that i enjoyed reading this because i can relate to this book in alot of ways because in this book young kids in the hood are writing journal entries to express their feelings. In some of these entries students discuss how they live and what they are going through. Also Ms. Gruwell the students teacher is a young english teacher who is trying to help get these kids through high school and make them become succesful.
May 24, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: teacher-texts
I love this book in theory, but I wish it contained some more explicit strategies for helping struggling students succeed academically. I am all for inspiring and teaching relevant world lessons, but I question how Gruwell was able to turn her students from borderline illiterate to articulate and successful graduates. This gets half of it right: teachers, overall, should see caring about their students as their primary responsibility.
Lucy
Apr 12, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it
This is a collection of writings by high school kids who were falling through the cracks of the educational system and headed for a life of gangs and crimes. There were several very good selections, and the best one formed the basis of the movie of the same title. I enjoyed many of them, but the language is pretty rough in some of them. These were written by angry kids.
Janelle
Nov 22, 2011 Janelle rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing and crying all the way through. It's a great pick-me-up for teachers, and since it's all true, it was even better. The students from Room 203 were/are amazing in all that they did in high school and beyond to form the Freedom Writers and take back what society had stolen from them before they even had a chance: an equal education.
Mariko Miura
Nov 11, 2013 Mariko Miura rated it it was amazing
2013/05/06 = 80min (1-22 page)

7 words:
Gruwell diary school history start students gun

DQ:
Q: What is your dream?
A: I wanna be a mother like my mother! I want to teach English to kids at home!

I just started reading, so far, this is great book!!
Thanks for the book:)
Alba
Mar 18, 2008 Alba rated it it was amazing
i learned that the people that are in "gangs" are fighting a secret war and no one cares about them.. i would say more but you have to read the book. i messed up on the book that i choose it was the DIARY OF THE FREEDOM WRITERS not the teachers guide..OOPS im sorry
Saleema Parker
Apr 18, 2008 Saleema Parker rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens
this book was good it was about a school and their students writing in journals about their lives and when they were done they put them all together and made this book called the freedom writers.
Cassandra
Oct 01, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! Reading the thoughts of the students,...their personal stories and that of the teacher's really touched me. Phenomenal book, very inspiring.
Corylyn Dimmer
Jan 18, 2015 Corylyn Dimmer rated it liked it
A very inspiring story, especially for teachers. I enjoyed the story but found the diary entries kind of monotonous after a while.
Betsy
Jul 02, 2011 Betsy rated it it was ok
There are some cute ideas in here to go along with the original book. I'm not sure that I should have spent full price on this book.
Brittany Longo
The book was a very good and interesting book to read. i loved reading it. it made me happy what the teacher was doing for the students.
Gwennis!
Mar 18, 2008 Gwennis! rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful and inspiring story. It made me want to share and help somewhere in the world.
Sanjivi Natarajan
A very inspirational story on how a teacher can change the lives of the students. See the movie too.
  • Like Sound Through Water: A Mother's Journey Through Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Raising Your Distracted Child
  • Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • The Passion-Driven Classroom: A Framework for Teaching and Learning
  • Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • Reluctant Disciplinarian: Advice on Classroom Management From a Softy who Became (Eventually) a Successful Teacher
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom