The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide

The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Designed for educators by the teacher who nurtured and created the Freedom Writers, this standards-based teachers’ guide includes innovative teaching techniques that will engage, empower, and enlighten.
In response to thousands of letters and e-mails from teachers across the country who learned about Erin Gruwell and her amazing students in The Freedom Writers Diary, Erin G...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide

Charles
Freedom writers, a book written by students, made into a great movie. But what makes this book so good. Is it how it is based on true events, or is it how these kids survived in the "ghetto" or is it how it can a teacher almost a years worth of assignments. Well what ever it is this is definitely a 5 star book to me.

True events is always a key in a book. The difference between this book and any other book is what these teenagers went through. Some of these went through gang wars, killings, robbe...more
Teacherman
The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher's Guide is a how-to manual on creating community in the classroom and tolerance in the minds of your students through writing. The book works as a stand-alone resource, but can also be use even more effectively with the original book, "The Freedom Writers Diary," and the movie based on the book, "The Freedom Writers" starring Hillary Swank.
The book ties lessons used in the movie to national standards with step-by-step instructions on how to make the magic happ...more
Karen
The movie does not do justice to this inspiring story. The students' personal lives are interwoven with the activities that Erin Gruwell plans for them throughout their high school career. For anyone who teaches, this book is an inspiration. What was most amazing was seeing the changes in attitude that the students expressed and trying to figure out which journal entries were by the same person to see the changes in attitude of specific individuals.
Diamond
Did you ever feel that no one ever paid attention or listen to you? Well in this book a teacher aloud student to write what they wanted to get heard but remain annomymous. I really liked this book because no one really care about urban kids, she was very caring to do somthing like this, and it inspried me.

First of all,
Allicia
amazing. learned a lot. feeling inspired. :0)
Daivon 2010
Freedom Writers, a book written by students, made into a great movie. But what makes this book so good. Is it how it is based on true events, or is it how these kids survived in the "ghetto" or is it how it can a teacher almost a years worth of assignments. Well what ever it is this is definitely a 5 star book to me.

Biruhati Syaheed
I read the book after i saw the movie tih my wife. My wife a teacher and she said it's an inspiring story. The students' personal lives are interwoven with the activities that Erin Gruwell plans for them throughout their high school career. For anyone who teaches, this book is an inspiration. What was most amazing was seeing the changes in attitude that the students expressed and trying to figure out which journal entries were by the same person to see the changes in attitude of specific individ...more
Shirin
I read this book a while ago and remember feeling inspired by Gruwell's commitment to her students and her ability to create curriculum that really exemplifies social justice at its best... At the same time, I can't help but be disheartened by the fact that she left teaching so early on in her career, which makes me wonder about how to celebrate longevity of teaching careers instead of just glorifying "one shot deals". That being said, I don't mean to demean the amazing work she did...
Charles
Jun 06, 2010 Charles added it
Shelves: q4
This book is about a really bad school where the kids didnt care the least bit about school and there were rival gangs and they put the whole school at danger by fighting. These kids direspect all their teachers but one really nice teacher came in for them and they were the same way to her at first but then the teacher really wanted them to learn something. she taught them to appreciate writing and then they started to love writing, true story
Karamo
My review for this book is that i enjoyed reading this because i can relate to this book in alot of ways because in this book young kids in the hood are writing journal entries to express their feelings. In some of these entries students discuss how they live and what they are going through. Also Ms. Gruwell the students teacher is a young english teacher who is trying to help get these kids through high school and make them become succesful.
I love this book in theory, but I wish it contained some more explicit strategies for helping struggling students succeed academically. I am all for inspiring and teaching relevant world lessons, but I question how Gruwell was able to turn her students from borderline illiterate to articulate and successful graduates. This gets half of it right: teachers, overall, should see caring about their students as their primary responsibility.
Lucy
This is a collection of writings by high school kids who were falling through the cracks of the educational system and headed for a life of gangs and crimes. There were several very good selections, and the best one formed the basis of the movie of the same title. I enjoyed many of them, but the language is pretty rough in some of them. These were written by angry kids.
Autumn
Great guide for teachers of all levels. Detailed instructions on how to use every activity most effectively in your own class, and comments from students and other teachers regarding each activity. Ideas for discussion, videos, vocabulary, and get-to-know-you activities. Great for individual, class, and pair work, as well as building a classroom community.
Janelle
This book had me laughing and crying all the way through. It's a great pick-me-up for teachers, and since it's all true, it was even better. The students from Room 203 were/are amazing in all that they did in high school and beyond to form the Freedom Writers and take back what society had stolen from them before they even had a chance: an equal education.
Corylyn Dimmer
A very inspiring story, especially for teachers. I enjoyed the story but found the diary entries kind of monotonous after a while.
Mariko Miura
2013/05/06 = 80min (1-22 page)

7 words:
Gruwell diary school history start students gun

DQ:
Q: What is your dream?
A: I wanna be a mother like my mother! I want to teach English to kids at home!

I just started reading, so far, this is great book!!
Thanks for the book:)
Alba
i learned that the people that are in "gangs" are fighting a secret war and no one cares about them.. i would say more but you have to read the book. i messed up on the book that i choose it was the DIARY OF THE FREEDOM WRITERS not the teachers guide..OOPS im sorry
Saleema Parker
Apr 18, 2008 Saleema Parker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens
this book was good it was about a school and their students writing in journals about their lives and when they were done they put them all together and made this book called the freedom writers.
Cassandra
This book was awesome! Reading the thoughts of the students,...their personal stories and that of the teacher's really touched me. Phenomenal book, very inspiring.
Betsy
There are some cute ideas in here to go along with the original book. I'm not sure that I should have spent full price on this book.
Brittany Longo
The book was a very good and interesting book to read. i loved reading it. it made me happy what the teacher was doing for the students.
Gwennis!
This was a beautiful and inspiring story. It made me want to share and help somewhere in the world.
Sanjivi Natarajan
A very inspirational story on how a teacher can change the lives of the students. See the movie too.
Karen
I am a teacher and I am enjoying this book a lot, I also watched the movie. I am from Mexico City
Anne Marshall
An amazing and truly inspirational story. One of the best books I have ever read.
Tyler
it was a good book i liked reading it because it was about teens
Chris Welch
Great ideas for teaching the book or just classroom activities
MaDdiE
ThIS bOok WaS GOoD.
It MAdE ME CRY... :(
Mbuick88
Very helpful as it contains many lesson ideas.
Mrs. Glaser
Great tool for the classroom!!
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • There Are No Shortcuts
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher [With CDROM]
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom
  • Ten Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature
  • Craft Lessons
  • Reading with Meaning
  • The End of Molasses Classes: Getting Our Kids Unstuck: 101 Extraordinary Solutions for Parents and Teachers
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • First Six Weeks of School,The
  • Write Like This
  • Work Hard. Be Nice.: How Two Inspired Teachers Created the Most Promising Schools in America
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Learn Me Good
  • Tupac Shakur Legacy
The Freedom Writers Diary (10th Anniversary Edition) Teach with Your Heart: Lessons I Learned from the Freedom Writers Teaching Hope: Stories from the Freedom Writer Teachers and Erin Gruwell The Freedom Writers Diary (Movie Tie-in Edition): How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them The Freedom Writers Diary (Movie Tie-in Edition): How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them