Start by marking “Naomi and Her Daughters” as Want to Read:
Naomi and Her Daughters

Naomi and Her Daughters

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Master storyteller Walter Wangerin Jr. pens the historically accurate biblical tale of Naomi and Ruth in this riveting novel. Contemporary echoes of love, deceit, war, and political instability will resonate with readers today, while rich descriptions and gritty realism cast new light on the ancient narrative. A powerful story that you won't soon forget!
Published August 1st 2010 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Naomi and Her Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naomi and Her Daughters

Kim
This novel is mainly a fictionalized expansion of the actual verses (italicized) of Judges 18-21 and all of Ruth. It goes from 11 years before Judges 18 at a fictionalized meeting between Naomi when she is 22 and when the woman mentioned in Judges 18 is 5 years old to all the way to Samuel 16 when Ruth's great grandson David is anointed to be the future 2nd king of Israel through whose line the Savior would be born. There are scripture quotations and histories interspersed in from the other book...more
Cafelilybookreviews

I really enjoy Biblical historical fiction and looked forward to reading Naomi And Her Daughters by Walter Wangerin Jr.

This was the first book I’ve read by this author and he certainly added some interesting twists to the age old story of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz. Don’t be fooled by the cover – this is not your typical “romantic” re-telling of the Ruth/Boaz story. This book is full of war and death and is grittier than you might anticipate so if you’re expecting a kind and gentle love story, you ma...more
Bob Hayton
Most Christians are familiar with the story of Naomi, and her famous daughter in law, Ruth. Naomi is one of the few women whose story is told at some length in the pages of the Christian Old Testament, the Hebrew Bible. But as with so many other stories, many a reader has often wondered what it would be like to be there, living in Naomi's day. The story as found in Scripture is evocative and powerful, but it hints at so much more.

Storytellers have long sought to embellish and add life to the sto...more
Grace
Author: Walter Wangerin
Title: Naomi and Her Daughters
Description (source): From master storyteller Walter Wangerin, Jr. comes this familiar biblical saga told in a fresh, transfixing way. You'll feel you've never heard it before! Melding historical accuracy with imaginative detail, Wangerin uses the biblical books of Judges and Ruth to explore themes of love, faith, grief and community set against a backdrop of war and political instability. The widow Naomi grieves the deaths of her two adult so...more
Leslie
In his powerful and original retelling of the story in the book of Ruth, Wangerin gives Ruth's mother-in-law Naomi, portrayed in the biblical story mainly as an unsympathetic character, embittered by tragedy and grief, a back story and a character that explains and justifies Ruth's devotion to her. The character of Boaz, the man who befriends Ruth and Naomi in their impoverished widowhood, is also given motivation and a past.

Moving back and forth over some thirty years, Wangerin never loses con...more
Naomi
Great read, but if you choose to read it, make sure it is either a single read or you take notes throughout the book. I have been doing multiple reads, as many as 15 books, for years and thought it would be no problem to keep characters straight, however, there are alot of them that interplay and need to be kept straight. I made the mistake with The Red Tentof not doing this and it really screwed me up. I also think I would have been better prepared for a reading group which I needed to read it...more
Maureen
For the first time, a novel by Walter Wangerin, Jr. is not holding my attention. I have started this novel three times in several weeks, thinking I must have missed something. Determined to finish it though. Sometimes, if a put a book down for a while, I get a better read. May have to do that with this one.
April Suter
My mother said the book was "worthless" and get rid of it. I thought it couldn't be that bad BUT it was worse. I believe it is the worst book I have EVER read. Why did I even finish it? (I guess maybe I thought it would get better somehow.) Some questions I may never have the answers to nor will I ever get that time back I wasted reading this book. Could I give it NO stars?

272 pages
Amy
I was hugely dissappointed. this story jumps around to end. The descriptive language is overly flowery and almost showoffish, and then when most of the characters talk their rough and low. I had really looked forward to this book, as its one of my favorite stories. For the story of Naomi you're better to turn to the Garden of Ruth, or Unshaken:Ruth.
Erik Bonkovsky
I had high hopes for this book but it didn't deliver. It did a good job of imagining how some of the Biblical stories involving Naomi could fit together, but it didn't tell a compelling story itself. The Biblical accounts themselves are better story. Plus, the dis-chronologizing was distracting and a bit show-offy.
Maribeth
Written in an older style it was a little harder to get into but once I got used to it...I loved it. Great retelling of the book of judges and so beautiful. I read this book after Pearl in the Sand and realized that this is the successive story to Rahab.
Drgiv
I have read many of Wangerin's novels and this is one of his best. He really captures the time of the judges from the old testament, and brings it to life through the lives of Naomi and Ruth.
Sandy VanderRoest
be sure to know if the chapter is past, present... I am re-reading....this time more slowly so as not to miss, and gain a greater appreciation of, the beautiful word pictures...and occasional humor.
Mar
it is a fictionalised account of naomi and ruth. kind of intersting to explore those possibilities. don't know that it would appeal much to those unfamiliar with the story.
Naomi
This book was written entirely different than I expected. I just couldn't get into it. I felt there would be more of the human story that occured but it wasn't there.
April Hochstrasser
I thought I would be reading a story about actual people, instead the characters just weave in and out and the thread of the story is really lost and never found.
Beverly
Wangerin gives you a background of what was going on in Israel while he describes Naomi and Ruth.
Rhonda
Author's embellished story of the Book of Ruth in the Old Testament.
Sheila
DNF (did not finish)
Helen L.
I had hoped to like it more.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1)
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • A Woman Called Sage
  • Deceit
  • Rorey's Secret (Country Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Elvis Takes a Back Seat
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Katy's New World (Katy Lambright Series, #1)
  • Almost Heaven
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • A Horse to Love (Keystone Stables #1)
  • Deeper Water (Tides of Truth, #1)
Walter Wangerin Jr. is widely recognized as one of the most gifted writers writing today on the issues of faith and spirituality. Starting with the renowned Book of the Dun Cow, Wangerin's writing career has encompassed most every genre: fiction, essay, short story, children's story, meditation, and biblical exposition. His writing voice is immediately recognizable, and his fans number in the mill...more
More about Walter Wangerin Jr....
The Book of the Dun Cow (Chauntecleer the Rooster, #1) The Book of God: The Bible as a Novel The Book of Sorrows (Chauntecleer the Rooster, #2) Paul Ragman: And Other Cries of Faith