Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects

Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  14 reviews
If you think quilting is too difficult or too complicated, you’re not alone. Cutting hundreds of pieces and joining angled seams can be tough work! But log cabin quilting—an artful and simple way to piece strips of fabric around a central square—is different. From the intuitive construction through the straight-line stitching, this style of quilting is simple as can be.

In...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Modern Log Cabin Quilting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Log Cabin Quilting

Corniferous
i started playing around with patchwork when i was a kid--i made my mom a simple patchwork throw (but never quilted it), embellished a pair of cut offs, and generally had a good time playing with fabric. but for some reason, quilting felt intimidating. long ago i started cutting squares from thrift shop fabrics to make a quilt as i thought squares would make for a very simple design. simple, yes, but not so inspired. that box of scraps is somewhere in my mom's garage. but i find that log cabin q...more
Polly
The chapter on "basic" quilt-making techniques is what makes this book worth it. I've been piecing tips together for a couple of years now, and I was blown away by Susan Beal's well written and diagramed tips.

Susan Beal is relatively new to quilting, but she approached the subject with her myriad of experience in other crafts. She is able to teach the reader and her voice is clear throughout.

The photos of the quilts are excellent. The reader can see the entire quilt as well as a close up on a...more
Megan
I love Susan, I love her books. They are approachable and well thought out. The log cabin quilt always holds a special place for me as it was the first quilt I every made...in the 90's...with blue and raspberry tones. It was rather tragic and dated, but my mother loves it.

Quilts began being documented in the early 1800's, before that there is now way of telling when this particular pattern began. It has an efficient piecing that makes it a popular choice for many quilters and has been updated t...more
Candy
Susan Beals choice of fabric and the combinations she picks, and the designs- they are all out of this world. Honestly, her work gives me chills, it is so amazing. I love the "Clouds in the sky" duvet cover. It is just so atmospheric. You have to see this book.
And I do love her recycled cords pillow- Susan, I'm glad you put your first project into the book. I see why you still love it.
I need to spend more time with this book!
So now it is Dec 20 and i am back to the beginning of the book, ready t...more
Leila T.
I haven't actually tried any of the patterns yet, but most of them look really appealing to me. But they don't seem to have size conversions, which kind of bums me out, since I'm a brand-new beginner quilter and I like to keep my current projects short and sweet. Another thing is that a code at the beginning of the book talks about how the projects are given symbols indicating level of difficulty, and even though there is a symbol for "beginner", as far as I could tell after reading through the...more
Bethany
I love the plus quilt pattern in this book! Her instructions are great. The other projects are okay.
Rebecca
Yeah, I guess I wasn't that impressed. Some of the quilts were innovative and beautiful, but over all I give it a meh. There needed to be more pictures of the quilts full on. However, the instructions were good and the knowledge was well thought out.
Erika
There is a good mix of traditional and modern projects and blocks here, including a bit of history about the log cabin block. This is a good book for confident beginners who want to learn more about log cabin blocks and quilt making.
Jess
I love the clean designs of the quilt patterns offered in this book. Modern Log Cabin Quilting clearly explains the log cabin technique, applying it to a contemporary aesthetic. Very cool book.
Jeannine
Log cabins are my favorite quilt pattern and I love the modern looks in this book. Not all of the projects float my boat but some do and it's definitely a visual treat to page through.
Susie
Feb 13, 2013 Susie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: diy
I really loved the quilting projects in this book. The quilting aesthetic is one I'd like to copy and it had a lot of great ideas of ways to use scraps.
Niki
A good quilting book, decent enough, but the website has more interesting projects. I did however love the crosses quilt featured on the cover.
I loved the Modern Crosses quilt that's on the front of the book. The rest of the quilts in this books - so so.
Seana
This one I would buy, interesting read about history and inspiring possibilities for this simple block.
Joan Coates
Joan Coates marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lyndsay
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Katie Holt
Katie Holt marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 17, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 02, 2014
Lawanda Mckenzie
Lawanda Mckenzie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects Bead Simple: Essential Techniques for Making Jewelry Just the Way You Want It Button It Up: 80 Amazing Vintage Button Projects for Necklaces, Bracelets, Embellishments, Housewares & More Pendleton Handstitched Home: Projects to sew for cozy, comfortable living