Start by marking “The Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Outhe Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Outhe Smart Cookies' Guide to Ma” as Want to Read:

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Let The Smart Cookies show you how to eliminate debt, spend smarter, save better, and achieve financial freedom-without sacrificing your social life or your sanity
They were fivedynamic young women: smart, successful-and secretly drowning in debt. Inspired by an episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on personal finance, Andrea, Angela, Katie, Robyn, and Sandra formed amoney
Published September 30th 2008 by Delacorte Press (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Outhe Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Outhe Smart Cookies' Guide to Ma

Holly Vipond
Sep 09, 2010 Holly Vipond rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
This one is about a bunch of rich girls paying off their credit cards. It didn't have a ton of substance, though I imagine a certain (small) segment of the female population might identify with it. I found myself thinking things like, "Really? You had to pare down your monthly clothing allowance to $200? Poor princess."
Amy
I was nearly 2/3 of the way through this book before I finally decided I had had enough. It was boring, and I could never keep the names of the five ladies and their stories straight. I should have just jumped to the investing portion at the end of the book (the reason I picked it up in the first place) instead of having to drop it before I could even imagine getting through to that part.

Maybe if your young, single, and only have to think about "#1" this book might appeal to you.
Daniel
Jan 24, 2009 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it was an investment book aimed at women. My parents gave it to us for xmas. The first half of the book talks about general savings strategies and tips. It's decent, logical, easy-to-implement advice. The second half gets into more technical topics (what to spend on a house, 401k, mutual funds, etc). And that part sucks - they try to make it simple but it ends up being oversimplified yet still confusing.
Amanda
Dec 18, 2008 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is depressing. It's all about how to save money by not doing things like buying $200 jeans or getting Starbucks everyday. Yeah, that's really helpful for me. I wash and reuse ziploc baggies, for pete's sake! This book is actually making me feel poor and like I need to go on a big shopping spree because that's apparently what women my age do. Bah!
Dec 07, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
more tips like, "eat at home more!" and "buy all your clothes on ebay!" It's like, I NEED REAL HELP AND THIS ISN'T IT. In other news, can I borrow some money?
Theresa
Nov 02, 2015 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the financial information is dated, this readable book is geared towards 20-somethings who know nothing about money except how to use credit cards. The "smart cookies" tactic is to form a money group to provide help and support as each person works through their money issues. Money issues include smart spending, debt reduction, extra income, investing, and home buying. Their website, www.smartcookies.com, is still viable with additional information and two other books to purchase -- one ...more
Alissa
Nov 23, 2008 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2008
I’d seen the Smart Cookies last year when they were on Oprah and I’d heard an interview with them on Jean Chatzky’s satellite radio show (before programming changes moved it from 5pm (darn XM). So when this came across my desk I grabbed it. I’m all about women, financial information, and empowerment. And this book offers all three in high doses.

I’ve read a lot of money management books and what makes this book different is the perspective of the “smart cookies.” They augment their practical info
Andrew Mutch
Although this book was published in 2008, it already feels dated. Published just as the housing and financial markets started to burn, the book does make some acknowledgments of the impending crisis. But much of the advice relies on the advantages that came in the bubble times in the run-up to the market crash of 2008 - 2009. While there is some decent advice for anyone with limited knowledge in the area of financial planning, budgeting and investing, some of the advice is misguided or just plai ...more
Jen
Dec 28, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-books
Just finished this last night...and I have mixed feelings about this book.

It's written in easy language to understand--the authors certainly cut through the acronyms and confusion of the financial world, and give good analogies (but some were a little too "Shopaholic" for me).

A lot of the advice could be seen as common sense for those of us who've been out in the real world for a long time, or for those who've done a lot of financial advice-reading/research. You know, the "don't spend more than
Ellen
Jan 16, 2010 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Picked this up on a whim at the library The suggestions for using your social network to improve your spending and saving habits were great, as was the chapter specifically on making more money.

But for a book designed to help women form better financial habits, talking about shopping on practically every page is not helpful. It wasn't that the five women profiled had especially materialistic goals (we all have some of those) but sometimes its tips seemed to focus more on saving money in order t
Joanna
The best think I took away from this book was that women don't talk about money. And we should. I think its true - we talk about everything else but I have never discussed retirements or investments with a girlfriend and only know the salary amounts of 1 or 2 people. Why are we all so hesitant to talk about this subject?

The other interesting idea was that they formed a money group of 5 girls who got together on a regular basis to provide support, encouragement and advice in achieving financial
LeeAnn
Apr 25, 2013 LeeAnn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: financial
This book definitely targets a certain niche, and they are very clear about it. If you are a young, upwardly mobile woman (20-something), this book is for you. However, if you in any other stage of life, it isn't as good. The *principles* work for anyone, but the examples could be discouraging to someone making under $30K -$75K with children. One worthwhile principle it teaches is to figure out where you money is going and then see if that matches up with your dreams. If it doesn't, you have to ...more
Deborah Rochon
Oct 11, 2009 Deborah Rochon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, unless you know nothing about personal finances then this book is not for you. I guess most women don't know how much they send, or how to make a budget. This book is about how to start all of that. But if you are someone who already makes a monthly budget and wants to learn to penny pinch, or more about how to do retirement savings this is not for you. Plus if you already have a family and kids then you are already out because this book does not address children in anyway. A money club is a ...more
Katharine Rudzitis
While I admire how these women banded together to change their financial lives, there isn't as much helpful information as I was expecting.
Alicia
May 13, 2011 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These ladies are money savvy and good at writing about it, but it's so impractical for anyone who doesn't earn more than $50,000 a year. The writers earn lots of money (like $80,000) and while they're good at saving, it's easy to save if you earn a lot. One couple now budgets $800 per month for eating out and gifts for others. Per MONTH! One lady still spends $200 per month on clothes. And they're just like, "Well, get more education and move up at work! Or start your own company!" I guess they ...more
Christina
Feb 25, 2009 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, finance
Cute little book- mostly targeted towards a young single or young married woman in her 20's or early 30's. I thought there was a lot of good info here about cutting spending and getting out of debt and making some good first decisions about housing and investments. I think the best idea from this book is to form your own money group with those who are in similar financial situation to provide encouragement and share tips with each other. It has certainly done wonders for this group of women!
Brea Grant
Nov 25, 2008 Brea Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in debt
Recommended to Brea by: oprah and melissa
although the title is a bit cheesy and it is aimed at (straight, hoping to get married soon) women, this book gives a lot of good financial advice.

(i'm not totally sure that comparing investments to the clothes in your closet is easy for ALL WOMEN to understand but it does make it easier for ME.)

most importantly, it makes sure that you know you can get out of debt and understand investing/money issues. let's just call it a confidence-building book.
Margot
Apr 27, 2009 Margot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed this book. I felt like I was listening in on a group of fabulous contemporaries chat about how you don't have to sacrifice style or "fun stuff" as you work through your debt issues in realistic and effective ways. I don't think there was anything earth-shatteringly new or different in the their tips or techniques, but the delivery just clicked for me. (I think I might buy this book, which for me says a lot!)
Wanda
Oct 23, 2008 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a decent book but unless you are living a high society life of buying expensive clothing and going out for high priced drinks then it doesn't really apply that directly. There are some good tips for saving and cutting back and some practical advice to help you control your impulse purchasing that I can see being useful though. Also it is Canadian content so it is applicable.
Mromigh
Apr 05, 2010 Mromigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a good overview of what NOT to do (don't buy $3.50 lattes every morning, don't splurge on clothes every payday). I love financial how-to books but this was a bit too basic for my needs--much better suited for the brand new financially independent college grad. I liked the ideas but I prefer Suze Orman for her more sophisticated approach.
Chary
Aug 27, 2009 Chary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Females between the ages of 22-42
Recommended to Chary by: Cheryl Centeno
So far, I REALLY LIKE this book! It's basically putting a mirror to you and it reminds you of your spending habits! If you need to get your crap in order in terms of your finances, this is the no-nonsense book. I'd like to think of it as Skinny-Bitch for your finances. Good stuff! It's a quick read, check it out!
Bianca Woods
Sep 06, 2010 Bianca Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, finished-in-2010
This book is a great starter book for women in their 20's and 30's looking to start taking control of their finances. An added perk is that, unlike most finance books, there's a Canadian edition, so if you're a Canadian like me you aren't having to constantly swap out American terms for Canadian every other paragraph.
Traci
May 26, 2009 Traci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I got over the fact that these girls were totally awesome and they had indeed paid off a mountain of debt, I realized that these girls made more in a year than I make in two. It was kind of depressing to hear that one of those ladies spent her months worth of earnings on clothes alone. I did learn a few tips.
anita
Feb 28, 2009 anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The exercises in this book are well worth doing.

I am attempting to pick my 3 people at the moment. As a shopaholic, I need to stop this behavior and curtail to things that I really want. I would recommend this book to everyone. I think there is some valuable information in this book to be learned.

Anne
Mar 26, 2009 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This book wasn't for me. I could see it being helpful if you have a lot of debt, or are having problems keeping up with the bills. I was hoping for more information about what to do with your investments now that you have them. The writing was very straightforward and the ideas were easy to understand.
Melanie
Mar 23, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this finance book geared towards women. Good mix of basic finance and more complicated concepts and chapters on investing and buying a home, changing careers, etc. I enjoyed it very much! Great discussion questions and tips for people hoping to learn and think about finance.
Allison
I enjoyed this book - I thought some of the tips were great, some...not so great. I couldn't identify with the author(s)'s individual budgeting issues, but this was a nice place to start in my financial knowledge journey. Good to see the 'anyone can do it if they try' journey right now.
Renee
Dec 25, 2010 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good idea, but a lot of the advice is unrealistic. I don't want to hear about how lucky the Smart Cookies are that they all bought and sold real estate when prices were going up, or stupid analogies about investments and clothing.
Julia
May 07, 2009 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, o-canada
Some interesting tips and life stories. This book would be of particular interest to those who are financially ignorant, who have bad spending habits and who want to change both for the better.
Vanessa
Aug 16, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Thankfully I've never been in such dire straits! Most of the book focuses on how to get out of debt and curb spending habits. Only the last two chapters were interesting enough for me.
  • Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life
  • Speaking for Myself: The Autobiography
  • Dealing with Difficult People
  • Perfect Phrases for Dealing with Difficult People: Hundreds of Ready-To-Use Phrases for Handling Conflict, Confrontations, and Challenging Personalities
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
  • In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer
  • Positively Pooh: Timeless Wisdom from Pooh
  • Freedom, Inc.: Free Your Employees and Let Them Lead Your Business to Higher Productivity, Profits, and Growth
  • Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses
  • Language, Culture, and Communication: The Meaning of Messages
  • The Eco Chick Guide to Life: How to Be Fabulously Green
  • Perfect Phrases for Customer Service: Hundreds of Tools, Techniques, and Scripts for Handling Any Situation (Perfect Phrases Series)
  • A Book Addict's Treasury
  • Be CentsAble: How to Cut Your Household Budget in Half
  • Weird Florida
  • Forgiveness
  • Start Late, Finish Rich: A No-Fail Plan for Achieving Financial Freedom at Any Age
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss