Start by marking “Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)” as Want to Read:
Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)

Human (Definitive Visual Guides)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A highly comprehensive and illustrated account of what makes us what we are: how we evolved, how our bodies work and develop, and how we think and behave, this unbelievable reference examines the qualities all humans share but also highlights the diversity of human society and culture. Profiling more than 250 peoples who inhabit the world and examining fascinating facts - ...more
Published October 4th 2004 by DK ADULT (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human

National Geographic by Leah Bendavid-ValThe Art Book by Phaidon PressChina by Tom  CarterSea of Ink  by Niamh King"Vanity Fair" Portraits by Graydon Carter
Best Coffee Table Books
16th out of 151 books — 116 voters
A People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank1491 by Charles C. Mann1776 by David McCulloughA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Understanding History
185th out of 212 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew
Dec 16, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Ok a confession - I have read this a number of times but never really finished it - however I had to "dig" it out to get the previous book!
This book is impressive however it comes from a line of equally impressive books from DK. The editor in chief Robert Winston (and not the author as stated here) is no mystery to the subject - apart from his numerous medical achievements he is also an accomplished presenter on science matters.
This book to me represents all that is in danger of being lost to t
Donna
Feb 22, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-living
Human is a comprehensive view of, well, humans. From the origin of and physical, mental and social aspects of humans to the individual peoples, it's a compendium of what we know to date. Being a Dorling-Kindersley publication it's packed full of pictures and sidebars, which is part of why it took me so long to get through. The language is easy to understand for a non-scientist but doesn't talk down. I also thought they did a good job of presenting all theories as opposed to promoting just certai ...more
Elizabeth Olson
Apr 29, 2010 Elizabeth Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A profusely illustrated examination of what it means to be human, how we came to be how we are, and where we might be going. These questions are examined from the perspectives of anthropology, evolutionary biology, animal behaviorism, anatomy, psychology, animal behaviorism and more. I found it inclusive, unbiased, and thought-provoking, although sometimes it tended to over-explain (stating four times in two pages that we are not descended from any living animal).
Elsie
Sep 20, 2008 Elsie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A great reference book on all to do with the Human Being and Humanity as a whole.

Join Robert Winston on a unique journey to discover every aspect of our existence. From how we function to how we think and act, HUMAN reveals the diversity of our lives and explores our extraordinary past,our fascinating present and our astonishing future...
Ben
Sep 07, 2007 Ben is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyon intereasted in their own species
This book is of the coffee table variety, but on steroids. It begins with the anthropological beginnings of our species, travels through the inner workings of the body, then outward toward society and culture.

It's non-fiction, but has such a broad range of topics anyone can find interest in it.
Derek
Feb 01, 2011 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is Awesome! Every person should own this book. It has everything related to humanity, from how our bodies work to the various cultures around the world. I wish I owned this book growing up.
Sandi
Jun 29, 2008 Sandi rated it liked it
More information on the human body, cultures, and the mind than one could absorb in the amount of time the library allows one to borrow it. Awesome pictures though.
Leah
Jun 18, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
It's the same format as the Animal edition, and is a great overview of all things human, from origins to anatomy to culture. Another great coffee table book.
Friedrich Teng
Nov 04, 2015 Friedrich Teng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You do not read page by page but just randomly. Every part of it inspires you and pushes you to think of yourself again and again. A great adventure.
Elissasteele
Jun 23, 2008 Elissasteele rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is a seriously cool book. Great layout and pictures and the information is set out so it is easy to understand.
Lauren
Dec 19, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
An exhaustive and fascinating reference book on everything human. Professor Robert Winston has done it again!
G
Nov 06, 2012 G rated it really liked it
Cool book!
Alan Vélez
Mar 15, 2011 Alan Vélez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The book!!!!
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ebookwormy
Ebookwormy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Meekal
Meekal rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Tarek Shehata
Tarek Shehata marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Yaowei Hao
Yaowei Hao marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Kingsley Appiagyei
Kingsley Appiagyei marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Phil Simpson
Phil Simpson is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
V. A. MENON
V. A. MENON marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Sigilise
Sigilise marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Sophia Christos
Sophia Christos marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Nikita
Nikita rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
  • Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came To Be
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • The Complete Human Body: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Sex, Drugs and DNA: Science's Taboos Confronted
  • Evolution: The Remarkable History of a Scientific Theory (Chronicles)
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Skywatching
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
  • Maps and Geography (Junior Genius Guides, #2)
The Right Honourable Professor The Lord Robert Maurice Lipson Winston
More about Robert Winston...

Definitive Visual Guides (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide