Start by marking “Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)” as Want to Read:
Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)

Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A highly comprehensive and illustrated account of what makes us what we are: how we evolved, how our bodies work and develop, and how we think and behave, this unbelievable reference examines the qualities all humans share but also highlights the diversity of human society and culture. Profiling more than 250 peoples who inhabit the world and examining fascinating facts - ...more
Published October 4th 2004 by DK ADULT (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human

National Geographic by Leah Bendavid-ValChina by Tom  CarterThe Art Book by Phaidon PressSea of Ink  by Niamh King"Vanity Fair" Portraits by Graydon Carter
Best Coffee Table Books
13th out of 113 books — 76 voters
A People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank1776 by David McCulloughA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson1491 by Charles C. Mann
Understanding History
142nd out of 169 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew
Ok a confession - I have read this a number of times but never really finished it - however I had to "dig" it out to get the previous book!
This book is impressive however it comes from a line of equally impressive books from DK. The editor in chief Robert Winston (and not the author as stated here) is no mystery to the subject - apart from his numerous medical achievements he is also an accomplished presenter on science matters.
This book to me represents all that is in danger of being lost to t
Donna
Human is a comprehensive view of, well, humans. From the origin of and physical, mental and social aspects of humans to the individual peoples, it's a compendium of what we know to date. Being a Dorling-Kindersley publication it's packed full of pictures and sidebars, which is part of why it took me so long to get through. The language is easy to understand for a non-scientist but doesn't talk down. I also thought they did a good job of presenting all theories as opposed to promoting just certai ...more
Friedrich Teng
You do not read page by page but just randomly. Every part of it inspires you and pushes you to think of yourself again and again. A great adventure.
Elizabeth Olson
A profusely illustrated examination of what it means to be human, how we came to be how we are, and where we might be going. These questions are examined from the perspectives of anthropology, evolutionary biology, animal behaviorism, anatomy, psychology, animal behaviorism and more. I found it inclusive, unbiased, and thought-provoking, although sometimes it tended to over-explain (stating four times in two pages that we are not descended from any living animal).
Hayesy
73/100: Everything you could possibly need to know about humans. If your an alien, trying to figure out how humans work, where they came from, and where they are headed, get this book. It'll save you a lot of time. Whilst not that interesting to read as a whole, it's certainly a helpful encyclopedia on everything human. It lists helpful facts about culture, how the body works, and our minds. Buy it, you won't regret it.
Elsie
Sep 20, 2008 Elsie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A great reference book on all to do with the Human Being and Humanity as a whole.

Join Robert Winston on a unique journey to discover every aspect of our existence. From how we function to how we think and act, HUMAN reveals the diversity of our lives and explores our extraordinary past,our fascinating present and our astonishing future...
Ben
Sep 07, 2007 Ben is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyon intereasted in their own species
This book is of the coffee table variety, but on steroids. It begins with the anthropological beginnings of our species, travels through the inner workings of the body, then outward toward society and culture.

It's non-fiction, but has such a broad range of topics anyone can find interest in it.
Derek
This book is Awesome! Every person should own this book. It has everything related to humanity, from how our bodies work to the various cultures around the world. I wish I owned this book growing up.
Sandi
More information on the human body, cultures, and the mind than one could absorb in the amount of time the library allows one to borrow it. Awesome pictures though.
Leah
It's the same format as the Animal edition, and is a great overview of all things human, from origins to anatomy to culture. Another great coffee table book.
Elissasteele
This is a seriously cool book. Great layout and pictures and the information is set out so it is easy to understand.
Lauren
An exhaustive and fascinating reference book on everything human. Professor Robert Winston has done it again!
G
Cool book!
Nathan
Nathan added it
Dec 25, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Mylachi
Mylachi marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Brack
Brack added it
Nov 22, 2014
Hanne
Hanne marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Chris Smith
Chris Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Rein Crystal
Rein Crystal marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Stewart Mcgillivray
Stewart Mcgillivray is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
  • Science: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Battle
  • Sex, Drugs and DNA: Science's Taboos Confronted
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Evolution: The Remarkable History of a Scientific Theory (Chronicles)
  • Prehistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth
  • A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World's Extinct Animals
  • Ultimate Visual Dictionary
  • Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design
The Right Honourable Professor The Lord Robert Maurice Lipson Winston
More about Robert Winston...
The Human Mind Human Instinct: How Our Primeval Impulses Shape Our Modern Lives Human Body The Story of God Bad Ideas?: An Arresting History of Our Inventions