Nineteen

Nineteen

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Ezra is nineteen, going to college in his blue-collar hometown, and still living with his mother. It’s all very ordinary… but Ezra is gay, and “ordinary” isn't really what he wants or needs. The romantic in him yearns for a story-book kind of love, but he certainly doesn’t expect to find it at a party that starts in an old field behind campus. That’s when he meets Nick. Ez...more
Published September 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Nineteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nineteen

Ami
VJ Summers
A beautiful vignette, lush language and amazing descriptive details that made me feel like I was *right there*. A perfect written snapshot.

I'd love to see it develop into a novella or even short story - lack of character/plot development is my only complaint.
Cole Riann
A book with an original voice that captures a moment in time very well. It will take you right back to that place, on those nights where you felt freedom for the first time. I loved it!
Leslie Nicoll
Relax and enjoy the writing style because hidden in the words is a fantastic story—short and simple, plot-wise, but great emotions that really reached down inside and touched me.
Mary
First time love at it's romantic best and the cadence of the words and the pacing is beautiful.
Book Utopia
Rather than a long, drawn-out plot, this tidy little offering encapsulates a single day and night in the life of nineteen-year-old Ezra. He’s hanging out with other students one hot summer day, not really doing anything, not really expecting anything, when he spies another young man named Nick. Magic happens. He doesn’t really believe it at first, because it’s the stuff of fairy tales, this clicking at first sight, but that’s what happens, and the two spend some rather amazing time together, all...more
Kassa
Nineteen is a novella full of wonder, hope, despair, fear, and awe as two inexperienced young men experience first love. The story is just one long scene as the two boys meet at a party. Once their eyes connect, they’re inseparable as they leave and finally end up alone in a quiet field. Their tentative touches lead to more as they awkwardly fumble their way to passion. There isn’t a happy ending so much as the hope and promise of more.

The story is told in third person present tense and reads a...more
Rachel
Ok so the main character said things like- "It‟s one of those nights where everything fits together and you're part of it all, or maybe everything's a part of you, or maybe this guy you're with just makes sense and being with him makes everything else make sense, if that makes sense." What?

And this one - “Here what? Here why? What's that supposed to mean? Well, it doesn't mean anything, not stuff you can put into words. If there were words, it'd be something like, here, this place, this night,...more
Dena
I really liked this!
Penny
This book should be read more than once. The first time is to be introduced to a unique writing style/pov. There's little dialogue, but more the inner thoughts and musing of a nineteen year old virgin. Many of his thoughts are incomplete, or just impressions of his feelings. Not a lot of complete sentences, but who really does while thinking to themselves.
The storyline is simple. Two boy meets and have an almost instance connection. The rest you'll have to read.
Kim
rating: 3.5

lovely imagery, has palpable tension--you can almost feel the boys' nervousness, eagerness and uncertainty in the air.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cait Miller
Nineteen by A.J. Mars is so sweet. The voice is unique, almost dreamy and it took me awhile to get into it. In fact in the first few pages I was sure I wasn't going to like it but I'm glad I stuck with it. I really enjoyed it. I'd love to hear more from these characters.
Archie
Loved this authors style of writing. Ezra and Nick learning from each other and most certainly yearning. A poignant glimpse of young romance, and all the uncertainty that comes with it. Not much conversation, but so much emotion. I could read more of this!
Kiki
The present tense narrative just didn't work, unless the intent was distance and disinterest.
Snowtulip
Quick, sweet snapshot in time.
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Wesley Vance
Wesley Vance marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Rukia
Rukia marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Riley
Riley marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014