Start by marking “A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)

A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  20 reviews

New in the “terrific”( NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR JAYNE ANN KRENTZ) Templar Knight mystery series.

When a cake kills a squire, the castle governor enlists the help of Templar Bascot de Marins. But as murder spreads beyond the castle walls, he wonders if it is in fact the work of a lethal master of poisons.

Published March 3rd 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published February 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Plague of Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Plague of Poison

LJ
First Sentence: With the celebration of Eastertide at the end of March, a warm spring radiance had descended on Lincoln.

Templar Knight Bascot de Marins is recovering in the castle at Lincoln after eight years captivity and torture in the Holy Lands. Someone has poisoned a scribe of the castle and the family of a merchant in the town. The poison is traced to a high-grade honey and the poisonings were deliberate. It is also realized that the victims where not those intended. The first victim was t
Spuddie
#3 Bascot de Marins "Templar Knight" historical mystery set in 1201, Lincoln UK. Bascot, attempting to make a decision as to whether or not he should leave the Templars and accept King John's offer to have his father's lands restored to him and allow him to name an heir. He worries that his ward, Gianni, a ragamuffin that he rescued from a life of poverty on the streets, will end up back where he came from if he were to go back to his Templar brothers rather than leave the order and remain one o ...more
Scot
Third in this series. It's been awhile since I read the earlier two, but I thought I'd catch up in this series of the one-eyed Templar Knight, returned from years of confinement in the Crusades and now solving murder mysteries in 1201, aided by his mute Italian boy sidekick Gianni, I am reminded that the author, Maureen Ash, does work in some vocabulary to broaden one's command of late medieval artifacts and architecture. The characters tend to be a bit flat, but the socio-cultural context is al ...more
Nicole
This was by far my favourite in the series. Ash did a really good job of highlighting Bascot de Marins emotional flaws here, in a way that wasn't repetitive with his lapse in faith in Alehouse Murders. Gianni also saw a huge advancement in his character development through his assistance solving the murder, and his role in de Marins's future.

There were a handful of chapters written from the murder's point of view and I felt like that really did a lot to advance the story without giving anything
Jerri
Who is poisoning villagers, castle folk, and Abby inhabitants? Will Bascot have to leave the Templers to secure the future of his ward?

I picked this book up because I love mysteries and I enjoyed the first 2 books in this series. I like the interaction of the characters and the setting. I am not as crazy about how Ash unfolds the mystery as you never have enough information to solve the mystery. You do not even know everything the main characters know and learn. I'll have to see if this annoys m
Liisa
This is only the 3rd book in this series, but the second to feature a hysterical female, the second to feature rape/attempted rape as a theme, and the second to feature a woman stricken to incoherence. Again, the main characters are not well-developed, and the author relies on "off stage" information to solve her mysteries. All of this, coupled with my distaste for Bascot de Marins, the boring Templar who can't wait to get back to killing infidels, leave me wishing these books starred Gianni ins ...more
Tracey
I enjoyed the mystery. Though I was able to figure out who the murderer was very quickly, it was a surprise as to the true identity.
Dawn
When the castle scribe is poisoned, it causes great concern with the castle residents. But when a merchant family outside the castle walls is also poisoned, Bascot must find the murderer before widespread panic ensues.

With this third book, the author has still failed to achieve the potential of the first book and leaves me wishing for a book more memorable, instead of just another average medieval mystery.
Susan
In 13th century England, Templar Bascot de Marins is recovering from wounds suffered in the Crusades. When a poisoner starts using honey to eliminate his victims, Nicolaa, the local castellan, enlists his help to discover the murderer. An engaging cast of characters and reasonably good period detail, especially about medieval bee-keeping and honey-making.
Wilde Sky
A Templar Knight investigates a series of poisonings.

The first hundred odd pages of the book are very good then the story started to sag.

If you are interested in historical murder mysteries then you may find this book worth reading.
K.B. Hallman
If we could do half stars, I'd give this 2.5. I liked it, but it was slow and dry. The characters seemed flat. The only time Bascot de Marins really came alive for me was in the last 20 pages of the book. The plot held together well.
Mary
Oooh, these are getting better! Love the rich historical details. The characterizations, especially of de Marins and Gianni, are still excellent. Their relationship with each other is very heartwarming. Delightful!
Monica Davis
The third book in this well written series of historical mysteries. Familiar characters mix with new as the drama unfolds. The author seems to hone her style more with each book. Enjoyable and quick read.
Bonnie
Rita
The most recent Knight Templar novel leaves de Marins with one year to solve a lot of murders.
Mary
An interesting mystery, with recurring characters I enjoy reading about.
Joyce McKune
The Templar is asked to assist in finding out who is poising people.
Barbara
Another nice entry in this medieval mystery series.
Laura Rodd
This was a fun light read.
☯Bettie☯
RyooT
RyooT added it
Feb 27, 2015
Matt Tillman
Matt Tillman marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1)
  • A Plague of Heretics (Crowner John Mystery #14)
  • The Joys of My Life (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #12)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • Face Down Under the Wych Elm (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #5)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
820242
Maureen Ash was born in London, England, and has had a lifelong interest in British medieval history. Visits to castle ruins and old churches have provided the inspiration for her novels. She enjoys Celtic music, browsing in bookstores and Belgian chocolate. Maureen now lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.
More about Maureen Ash...

Templar Knight Mystery (7 books)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)
  • Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • The Canterbury Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #7)
The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1) Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2) Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4) Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5) A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)