Happy Birthday, Nancy Tobin

Happy Birthday, Nancy Tobin

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Suddenly single on the eve of her fortieth birthday, Nancy Tobin’s not sure turning middle-aged is worth celebrating. She's stuck in a dead-end job as the boss’s bitch with only her morose Labrador for a companion. What does she have to party about? Maybe if she ignores the whole birthday thing, it will just go away.

Hot, twenty-six-year-old Jake Turner has other ideas. Whe...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Loose Id, LLC (first published September 5th 2010)

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-GravesFinding Home by Lauren BakerTo Live and Love In L.A. by Ben PellerWater for Elephants by Sara GruenOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Older woman/ Younger man romance
32nd out of 172 books — 419 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesBared to You by Sylvia DayBackstage Pass by Olivia CunningFifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
Best Dirty Talk
268th out of 369 books — 704 voters

More lists with this book...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter
“I’m a student of philosophy and English who wandered into the library and saw a beautiful woman, old before her time, dying before his eyes. I wanted to make her come to life.”

For years Nancy Tobin’s life is miserable. With good reason. Nancy’s got a job she hates and her boss Cynthia is a jealous bitch. Her husband Christopher turned from gorgeous sex god with cobalt blue eyes into a first-class pig. He is such a mean and cheating bastard, and it’s absolutely incredible how he’s treating his w...more
Mrs. Missive
Let me start of by saying that this book shocked the heck outta me. Aside from the A-hole hubby and the overwhelming desire to off herself, I had a scary similar life situation to Nancy(our newly 40 heroine).

Nancy has a job she hates, a life she doesn't know how to change and the sudden interest of a hot college stud named Jake.

Jake decides he just wants to make Nancy smile. Well what better way to make a woman smile than boinking her brains out? Hell, sounds like the right idea to me.

Now I kn...more
Katie
This was a DNF about 65% in. I liked the story, I liked the actual characters but the way everything was fitting together just didn't make sense. This one wasn't for me.
April
Ok, I know that I'm in the minority here, but I hated this book. The theme is "Poor pitiful me, I'm an old lady, fat, ugly, useless, and my life has been wasted and is now over because I'm turning 40". The entire book is a depressing self-pity party. This woman does absolutely nothing to change her unhappy situation, just constantly feels sorry for herself and complains. There was no connection between the main characters either, it just felt forced in between all the moaning and self loathing....more
Heather in FL
What a great story. I doubt I need to recap anything here as it's been reviewed several times, but I really enjoyed it. I identified a bit with Nancy (40, feeling like you've already lived/maybe wasted your life, not much to look forward to), but Jake very gently pulled her out of that feeling. Not looking for a Jake in my life, lol, but he was so very sweet.
D.H. Starr
Sassafrass
The Review was originally written for the Romance Reviews and can be found here:

Nancy Tobin hates her life. Her husband is a nightmare, not to mention a cheater, her job makes her miserable, and to top it all off, she's about to turn 40. Just as she's contemplating the best way to end her misery, she meets sexy, young stud Jake Turner in all his hot twenty-six year old glory. Jake shows an interest in Nancy that she can't help but think is a joke. After al...more
Carol Hone
Nancy Tobin feels as if she'd been dumped in the grey backwater of life. Resigned to trudging through a dead-end job at the library, with a pig of a husband who majors in adultery, she's stunned and more than a bit suspicious when scrumptious hunk, Jake, pays her some interest. From the start there's a sexual vibe between them but it takes a lot of determination and skillful wooing before Jake convinces Nancy he desires all of her - mind, body and soul.

The writing in this story is masterful, wi...more
KevaD
Nancy Tobin is a woman on the brink.
She's just not sure on the brink of what.
At forty, life wasn't supposed to be a shattered marriage, a body men didn't notice anymore, and filled with the excitement of returning borrowed books to the shelves in the library.

Then the fateful big 4-0 arrives. And with it . . . a present Nancy could never have envisioned in her wildest wet dream.

Happy Birthday Nancy Tobin was a really enjoyable read. At times spit-coffee-on-the-screen funny, this story touched my...more
Beth Grant
It was a great book that had me crying in sympathy all the way through. I don't know why Nancy would even consider going back to her jerk of a husband--not after meeting Jake! Being middle aged is all in the head!! And the author brought that out strongly, and I felt vindicated.
It's wonderful to watch the chemistry as she (her body) awakens to youth and forgotten passions; notice I said watch, because the book moves from scene to scene like a movie. There is no dead time or fillers in this boo...more
Guilty Pleasures
FORTY!!! The age every women has been "trained" to dread. We've all been programmed that once we reach FORTY we lose our attractiveness, things start sagging and heading south, coloring our hair is no longer an option but a must. WORST of all men our age start trading us in for the younger models. Not to mention if we have been blessed with kids, many of us experience our kids leaving the nest around this age. With all this programming, it's not wonder so many of us feel worthless, self consciou...more
Angelica
I really didn’t get the relationship between these two main characters. Nancy’s insecurities and fears seem plausible and understandable up to a certain degree. I liked how her character was portrayed. To me it was very real and consistent with someone going through depression, and ironically, that’s one of the reasons why Jake falling in love with her was unbelievable to me. I didn’t feel the connection between them, and it was unrealistic how he fell head over heels with her when all she did w...more
Libby
Sex, humour, sex, emotion, sex - did I mention sex? Yes there's a lot of it so if you don't like hot, graphic, sweaty sex then stay away! MILF sex!
The emotions and dialogue appear to be so real that you can imagine that you are a fly on the wall (ok maybe peeping Tom might be a better name). All of us females who are over the first blush of our youth can identify with Nancy on some level. If I could have reached into the pages I would have bitch slapped her husband for sure - ewww! what a pig!
It...more
Jane
Jan 26, 2012 Jane added it
Shelves: adult, read-in2012
Im not sure how to rate this. I thought the story was interesting and I loved Jakes' character but Nancy started to bother me with her constant self doubt and turmoil. I get that Christopher made her feel less the womanly. I had an ex that was verbally & mentally abusive also and after 9 years of marriage I left so I can feel how she would feel but it went on & on for 3/4 of the book. She would assume Jake meant one thing (always negative) and the poor guy had to assure her she took it w...more
Debbie Vaughan
I loved, loved, loved, this book! A different coming of age story. Nancy's life has passed her by. Approaching her fortieth birthday she has no cause for celebration. Trapped in a dead-end job and a loveless marriage, Nancy contemplates ending it all.

Enter Jake, a hot young stud who seems determined to lift her mood no matter the cost.

The ball is set in motion when Nancy finds herself abandoned by her worthless husband.

Can life really begin at 40?

This book was Ms. Grant's debut novel. It is fil...more
Paws
I started this thinking it was going to be some light-hearted romp. Where the heroine is quickly seen as having a bad life, then dumping her husband and enjoying some time with a boy-toy. NOT! Good lord is her life in the crapper. This is evidently and systematically displayed through the first.... 40-50% of the book? I'm at 50% now and I'm really hoping Jake can make a difference in her life. She really needs it.
Back to reading....
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~
Nancy's husband was a total jerk and meeting Jake and her husband leaving her the day before her 40th birthday finally gave her the impetus to make a change to her depressing life. I would have liked to see more of Nancy standing on her own two feet at the end but she was off to a new adventure and would hopefully continue to grow even if she and Jake didn't last in the long-term.
Nikki
The first half of this book was so depressing, I started feeling self conscious about myself. The whole 'I'm not worthy' theme was just too much. Nancy staying with her husband after everything he'd done and didn't do to/ for her was idiotic especially with them being hard-up for cash. Jake was just, blah. There was nothing for me to admire in Nancy.
Christy Stanley
There wasn't much to like about this book. The heroine was whiny and tragic. I think it could have been a great story if she had a little more spine. Seriously, 40 is not that old, and she spent the whole book whining about how she sagged and was an old bag.
The only redeeming quality I found in it is that it only cost ninety-nine cents.
Judy
Couldn't finish this one. The heroine is so needy, whiny and unappreciative of this gorgeous young stud who believes in her I just couldn't finish that last third or so. Maybe it got better, but it just wasn't for me.
Cornelle Keveen
Lillian Grant is a very patient and effective storyteller. Her unique wit and charm makes for a very warm and pleasant read. I look forward to reading more of her work.
Sandra
Free at Smashwords with coupon code GN34G
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Shadalis
Shadalis marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Gosia
Gosia marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Szinna
Szinna added it
Feb 23, 2014
Eva Mack
Eva Mack marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Born and bred in the UK, my whole life was turned on its head when, at the tender age of eighteen, I met and fell instantly in love with my darling husband. I knew the minute I met him I was going to marry him and, fortunately, he came to the same conclusion less than six months later. My husband has shown me the world, starting by bringing me to Australia. The country we now call home, and where...more
More about Lillian Grant...
Male Order (Reigning Men, #1) Speak to Me of Abduction (Reel to Real, #1) Mergers & Acquisitions Hot Male (Reigning Men, #3) Male Review (Reigning Men, #2)