Start by marking “Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Banker: And Other Baller Things You Only Get to Say If You Work on Wall Street” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In one word: egregious.

Damn It Feels Good to Be a Banker is a Wall Street epic, a war cry for the masses of young professionals behind desks at Investment Banks, Hedge Funds, and Private Equity shops around the world. With chapters like "No. We do not have any 'hot stock tips' for you," "Mergers are a girl's best friend," and "Georgetown I wouldn't let my maids' kids go th
Published August 5th 2008 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Banker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Banker

Kunal
Saw the title of this book and knew it was just one of those books that you have to read to see what it is all about. It is written by a Princeton kid who just finished up his first year as an analyst at a bulge bracket Investment Banking firm in 2006 and has already received his offer to go to a top tier private equity firm. Although he overdoes and makes the book sound outlandish for added effect, their is a great deal of truth in the book as well.

To sum up the book, the kid is what I would d
Anandh Sundar
Depending on whom you ask, investment bankers are either greedy, overpaid parasites or the physical/intellectual cream of society. The former views have dominated popular literature while the latter persists on career forums and in real life(why else do Ivy League grads want these jobs?).

This book is a must read to understand the core of investing banking roles. Be warned though that the author pulls no punches and makes no apologies. People in non bulge-bracket banks with fragile sentiments sho
Shahzar Khan
A more appropriate title for this book would be "Damn! It feels good to be a hubris filled fuckhole of a banker"

This book can be found in almost all the major "Essentials for MBA aspirants" book lists, lauding the author's wit and the seldom occasion when a 'real banker'(an euphemism referring to a nefarious cunt who is paid for advising people on how to lose money) steps up to explain the concepts and environment of the wall street.

The book begins with the author mastrubating to his memory of g
Josh Gatlin
One of the most hilarious and entertaining reads I have ever come across. While it takes an elite level of self-confidence to enjoy / get though, if you can take it for what it was intended to be - you won't put it down until it's finished. The ultimate execution of humorous satire / so convincingly written it may not be. Even for someone in Investment Banking, I had to shrug off numerous blows, it ultimately serves as a perfect illustration of banking culture and hierarchy - with the theory of ...more
Rahul
Feb 05, 2012 Rahul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just happened to read this Absolutely epic ,it’s a bit dated now (it came out in 2008, which may as well have been another planet), but it’s great for laughs and takes a fun look at investment banking. Alternatively, it can serve as a much-needed ego stroke if you’re feeling down about your job.
I laughed uproariously at the final chapter, in which Logan and company descend upon an unsuspecting nightclub, banker jams blasting and performing unique financial dance moves (including the unstoppable
Ian
Absolutely glorious. A wonderful send-up of the taking things way too seriously Wall Street culture, highlighting both the breathtaking highs and stunning lows of investing bankers. As a former hedge fund analyst, I was exposed to these vagaries from a safe distance, and yet I still found myself grimmingly nodding my head with many of the stories.
Yuqi
Not as funny if you've never worked in finance or dislike affected douchebaggery (came off as trying too hard to be unlikeable)
Philip
Brilliant!!!!

I've never laughed this hard from anything I've read (ever) and from anything that I've watched (since Borat). It all culminates in the final scene:

"I'm Ashley," she offers eagerly, bouncing and waving.

"Oh, I know," I respond instinctively. Then I add: "I work on the Buy Side."

It's full of random esoteric jokes about finance (pronounced, of course, like "finn ance") and hilariously elitist diggs. But if the above quote isn't funny, it's probably not your style...
Jay Cunningham
Save your money and avoid this book. Complete waste of time and money. I wanted to put the iPad down after 2 pages, but I finished it because I didn't want to waste my money. Still a waste. This guy is a joke and a serious poser. This book was awful and adds NO insights to what Wall Street is like or even about, and no insight on firms or investing. Just a tool who doesn't realize he is embarrassing himself.
Chris
An effective parody of the snobbery and greed that propel the toiling spreadsheet jockeys of finance. No doubt useful to anthropologists one day, although it does little for one's mood. More comprehensive, but not as funny, as the Web site that came before. http://www.leveragedsellout.com/ Ironically, the author was a consultant. The bankers he mocks are too busy making money to write a book like this.
Jeremy Raper
A pretty withering critique of the pre-financial crisis banker lifestyle. From someone who works in finance, this book is VERY accurate and right on point. Somewhat dated post crisis, but still very funny and enjoyable reading, especially for those who work in the industry.
Jose
very funny if you have worked in Banking and can put his comments into perspective. very instructive and indicative of why some investment banks had to close doors. I question he is only 24 at the time of writing as he sounds more senior than that.
Mcatania21
So far, this book is irritatingly entertaining. The unnamed author is pompous, arrogant, and demeaning. The more I read, the angrier I got, yet I kept reading. I wouldn't normally waste my time reading a book like this, but it was for a book club
Julia
Hilarious... recommended for anyone in the financial industry or anyone who has ever met one of these d*bags in NY. Not as relevant now given the recession but definitely rang true up until recently.
Darryl Stangry
Would only read if you have worked in banking, otherwise not really funny. Not as comical as some of the more mainstream humor books (Shit My Dad Says, etc.)
Paul Henderson
It is worth a read to just laugh out loud. Leveraged Sellout's blog is much better but it was a fun read for anyone in the finance world.
Lisa
Hugely ridiculous book - but you have to laugh at the guys profiled in the book, a fun fluff read and guide to that world!
Simon
Funny parody/satire, but remember it is fictional. Still worth a few laughs.
Tapan Oza
I dont know whether to be disgusted or envious.
Christina
Aug 10, 2008 Christina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bankers or Wannabe bankers
his Blog is great, but the book was eh......not as great. I agree with Banker Chick that he is racist, sexist and whatever else she accused him of. Someone needs to write a book about banking from a girls point of view.
Emily
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Jan 17, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
!
Robert Eckmann
Robert Eckmann marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Look at This Fucking Hipster
  • Theory & Practice of Gamesmanship
  • The Emily Dickinson Reader: An English-to-English Translation of Emily Dickinson's Complete Poems
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
  • Monkey Business: Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle
  • Men Are Better Than Women
  • The Accidental Investment Banker: Inside the Decade That Transformed Wall Street
  • At Home with the Marquis de Sade: A Life
  • The Money Culture
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • Dalí
  • Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • Savage Art: A  Biography of Jim Thompson
  • Nothing bad ever happens in Tiffany's (Pocket Penguin 70s #8)
  • Genet
  • The Secret Path (Spooksville, #1)
  • Francis Bacon: 1909-1992