Start by marking “The Mane Event (Pride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mane Event (Pride, #1)

The Mane Event (Pride #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,745 Ratings  ·  814 Reviews
Mace Llewellyn. Brendon Shaw. Two tall, gorgeous, sexy alpha heroes who are 100% male―with a little something extra. Lion-shifters, to be exact, who can unleash every woman's animal side and still look good―make that spectacular―in a suit... and even better out of it...

NYPD cop Desiree "Dez" MacDermot knows she's changed a lot since she palled around with her childhood bud
Published October 1st 2009 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mane Event, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mane Event

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Roaring Stars

*Spoilers*

photo maine event_zps7ycef7tl.gif

The Mane Event is two stories in one so I will do two mini reviews, one for each story.

photo macedez_zpsq9c4qg0i.jpg

“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?” “She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.” “And you’re not concerned about that?” “There weren’t that many steps.”

Christmas Pride is Mace and Dez's story. Mace Llewellyn is a Lion Shifter and a Navy Seal. Desiree "Dez" MacDermot is human Cop. Mace and Dez were best friends wh
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Note to self: stop doing this to yourself. RIGHT. NOW.

Why did I read this book? Because:

a) I am a masochist
b) I am a complete idiot
c) My last two grey cells got fried while reading Mermen
d) I am an unredeemable twit
e) My synapses are on permanent strike
f) I have finally lost it
g) I love reading (view spoiler) Pieces of Crap (PoC)
h) My dear friends use recommendations as a means of inflicting death by Crappy Book on me.
i) All of the above

Hint: the correct answer starts with
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm giving this book 3 stars but it is barely 3 stars. I wanted to like this book more than I actually did, I think. Many of my friends rave about this book and I love a good shifter story, but this one felt a little stale to me.

I think part of my issue is that I read a LOT of paranormals. I love a great paranormal romance. However, here I felt like the plot took a backseat to the sex and I wanted more... excitement, energy, something. I found this book to be a bit boring, which was disappointi
Jilly
This book has two stories in it and I only read the first one. It had its moments of funny, but there was nothing compelling about the world in general to keep me reading.

So, DNF at 50% because meh...

Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
4 stars for Christmas Pride and a another four for Shaw's Tail !

This book?

HILARIOUS ! Will defiantly need a while to get over this read.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND for all PR fans who love their read,fun-fluffy with great secondary characters and a spoonfuls of melting hot animal sex ;)

Perfect read for the holidays right around the corner :)
Blacky *Romance Addict*

4 stars for first story
3 stars for second story

Settled on 4 overall because I loved the humor! Awesome!
Ren
I love Shelly Laurenston's book :)

Her first series "Magnus Pack" get me hooked to her books, and I decided to read her "Pride" series after I finish Magnus Pack.Even the world setting in Pride and Magnus Pack series are the same, no need to read Magnus Pack first :)

The Mane Event have 2 stories, Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. Here the story :

Christmas Pride

The story is about Mason "Mace" Llewellyn, who just end his military career at NAVY. He met his childhood friend, Desiree "Dez" MacDermot,
Mariana
Oct 31, 2013 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wish shifters existed. I really really want a were-lion for myself.

Mace & Dez
description

“Didn’t she know? “Yes” to dinner today. “Yes” to marriage tomorrow. Dammit, he had a schedule to keep.“

“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?”

“She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.”

Brendon & Ronnie
description

“Oh, look. The idiot of the jungle awakens.”

“Jealousy over some big, dumb bear flew out the window as he stared at Ronnie. “You…you were banned from No
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
3.5 STARS ...more
valee
Feb 25, 2011 valee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1
4 Stars

Wow, I still can't believe how good this book was, not paranormal romance but more erotica, but still I really liked it because the paranormal aspect was incredibly well developed. This story had an amazing plot and a great enemy, which I never realized who it was until the end. We get to know some amazing characters with great personalities, so be ready because once you read the first book you WILL need to read the rest.

In this story we get to read about Desiree MacDermot and Mace
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: March 2014
Buddy read with Jo

1st Read: November 2012
SL writes the best books that have humor! I swear she is amazing! I don.t even get annoyed by the swearing(as i usually am with other stories). This woman is a goddess!

Buddy read with Maru

quotes:
“So, hoss. Have you actually told her you’re in love with her?”

“She won’t let me. When I tried, she threw me down a flight of stairs.”

“And you’re not concerned about that?”

“There weren’t that many steps.”
..........
“Brendon Shaw, you do not know
♡Karlyn P♡
A sexy LOL kind of crazy PNR read with horny shape shifters and thin plots. But what a fun escape-from-reality book it was!
Sandra
Christmas Pride - 2.5 stars The reason I chose to read this was because I had just finished Go Fetch!, Book 2 in the Magnus Pack series that takes place in the same world, and I wanted to keep going but felt like mixing it up. Reading them back to back I noticed a trend in Ms. Laurenston's writing. The first third of the book is set up, character development, a lot of fun banter and sexual tension. Good stuff. The last two thirds (minus a chapter or two)... are sex. Sex on the bed. Sex on the st ...more
Madbabs
Apr 03, 2012 Madbabs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I know I see other people's reviews all the time saying they expected to like a book based on its reviews, then were horribly disappointed. But honestly, that hardly ever happens to me. I can usually get a pretty good idea before I pick a book up. But this one? Wow. I wasn't just thinking "oh maybe I'll check it out and see". I thought I'd really enjoy it. So very wrong. The writing is pure formula - including the supposedly hot sex. Internal dialog of the main characters are absurdly simple-min ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
BD with Aly is so frigging bored

This book is actually the first two stories in the Pride series.

Christmas Pride... 3,5 stars

Mason "Mace" Llewellyn, a former Navy Seal and a lion shifter, is determined to win Desiree "Dez" MacDermot, a former Marine and a New York police officer, now that he is back to New York and he isn't prepared to take no for an answer.

Shaw's Tail... 5 stars

Brendon Shaw, rich lion shifter, takes one look on Rhonda Lee "Ronnie" Reed, wolf shifter from backwoods Tenessee and h
Shannon C.
Apr 25, 2010 Shannon C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just now rereading the Laurenston books and had forgotten how fantastic this series is. This book is two novellas in one book, and it's very good. I haven't stopped laughing--especially during the second story (Brendon & Ronnie). The first book in Pride Stories, I like this series better than her earlier Magnus Pack books--mainly because I like the female leads better. Laurenston does a great job depicting shapeshifter life and pack structures, as well as with character development. Her ...more
Marta
This was rough to get through. It seemed like the whole book was one sex scene after the other. Now I'm good for the down and dirty, but at least have it meaningful between characters. The only saving grace was the humor. The author is pretty witty. Mace, Shaw and even Dez were enjoyable. I wish I could say the same for Sissy Mae and Ronnie Lee, who grated on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

I hear her Dragon Kin series is much better. I'll give it a shot soon.
Vered
Apr 10, 2010 Vered rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, funny-pnr, epnr
3 good stars, not the I don’t know how to rate it 3 stars. Because it was a fun book. Funny, sexy fluff with lots and lots of fun sex and lovable characters. Books of this genre are in danger of trying too much. Consequently lose the genuineness that is so important in order to enjoy the book without it giving you heartburn. To me, Shelly Laurenston found the right amount and I was left feeling quite delighted.

Deea (Andreea)
May 16, 2015 Deea (Andreea) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-audiobooks
Hmm... How do I rate this?

4 stars for the first story. It was refreshing, hot and so much fun! Probably one of the best, funniest banter between hero and heroine, ever! I LOL-ed and highlighted like crazy. :D

With the second story tho, I started losing interest. :( So maybe 3 stars. Still fun, still hot, but I wanted more from these characters. It lacked substance, connection, plot... Like I said before, I tend to want more in my books.

All that being said, this is a quick pleasure read. All bant
Anita
How did I not realize that this author is FANTASTIC?! I'm on the PNR discussion group all the time - why doesn't anyone rave about Shelly Laurenston? If you love paranormal romance, this one should be moved to the top of your to-read pile. The writing is funny and sexy, the stories interesting, and the characters so well written, you will fall in love with them and want to be their friends. I can't believe how many times I laughed out loud reading this book - and yet the sex scenes were still sc ...more
Nadia
This may be the most vulgar review I've ever written.

Sometimes I can be very slow in catching up with things. In Bosnian we have an expression for people like that: water heater. Cuz you know, it takes a while for the water to heats.
Anyway, I read the blurb for The Mane Event, I got the book, I started reading it, all the while thinking it's only one book, about Mace and Dez. And then somewhere around the middle, all of a sudden, there's again Chapter 1 , new characters and I'm like wtf happe
Shelby
This book is actually split up into two stories Christmas Pride and Shaw's Tail. I enjoyed them both and was pleasantly surprised by this book. I'd been avoiding it for awhile, for no real reason, but it wasn't anything at all like I expected. This definitely falls into the erotica side of the paranormal romance, but it was still very entertaining and the variations on a shifter world were fun.

Christmas Pride

Talk about one determined lion, Mace Llewellyn is not going to Desiree "Dez" MacDermo
 One Curvy Blogger
5 Stars

The Pride series is a series I often go back to when I don't want to read review books, or I'm just in a slump. Laurenston's books are funny and sexy, and always get me in the mood... for reading, of course. ;) The Mane Event features the first two books (or rather, novellas) in the series, and introduces us to the main characters that the series will be featuring.

Christmas Pride - five stars

I admit it took me a few months to strum up the courage to buy this book. I wasn't the hugest fan

Steph
Shelly Laurenston's writing cracks me up! I laughed my way through her Pack series and, after reading Here Kitty, Kitty! I couldn't wait to start her Pride series. Book 1 did not disappoint. In fact, it was smarter and better written.

The Mane Event gives us two stories. Christmas Pride introduces us to BFFs who are reunited after twenty years. Mace Llewellyn is a Pride male returning home from the Navy. He's got a mission ... "He needed to find a woman. Not any woman, but the woman who had ha
Annette  Dahl "Old Vicarious Reader"
Funny Read... I'm not sure how I came across this book, and I'm very glad I did the audio with it. I don't think I would have liked it as much as I did if I hadn't. The narrator did an excellent job with the southern accents, and put lots of sounds behind the words. It was well written, and the humor took over any seriousness that might have been meant in the story. I can say finally say I understand the meaning of Stupid Funny.... Good Read!
Leigh
Nov 16, 2010 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 stars! This was a great, fun, easy read, and I really enjoyed it! This opening book into the Pride series is broken into two smaller stories, one focusing on Mace and Dez and the second focusing on Shaw and Ronnie. I loved them both! These were seriously HAWT reads....very, very sexy. Take an alpha male who finds his mate, and why would you expect anything less?

In addition to their sexiness, these stories were great fun, hilarious, and also loving. There were so many hysterical lines, unf
Lady Allison
This book is the first of Shelly Laurenston's Pride series and contains two stories:

Christmas Pride

This is the story of Mace Llewellyn & Dez MacDermot, two best friends separated while teenagers & pulled together when Dez investigates a murder in the Llewellyn Pride. Dez has always been THE ONE for Mace...now he just needs to convince her of it.

I enjoyed Mace & Dez but they're not my favorite couple. It was a good intro to the Pride background since I read Laurenston's Pack series f
Alisha
Sep 03, 2010 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon finishing, it's in my 4-5 star range.

This book is actually two interconnected tales. They take place around the holidays (though this is not a "holiday book") and follow the perspectives of four characters. In "Christmas Pride," that's tough-as-nails Desiree MacDermot and Mace Llewellyn, the former Navy SEAL lion shifter who's been crazy about her since childhood. In "Shaw's Tail," we get to follow lion shifter Brandon Shaw and wolf shifter Ronnie Lee Reed. It should be noted upfront that a
Jane Stewart
A playful escape with a lot of hot sex scenes, but don’t expect much in the way of plot, relationship development, and romance.

This book has two short stories which are similar. The guy is a lion shifter. He smells a woman and knows she is his mate for life. He is obsessed with being with her, touching her, and having sex. The woman doesn’t want a relationship, but she is unable to resist him sexually. The second story was a little better than the first.

CHRISTMAS PRIDE:

STORY BRIEF:
Mace and Dez
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Charlotte Kane (a pseudonym for Johanna Parker)

In a stroke of genius, the publisher chose Johanna Parker (changing her name to Charlotte Kane) to narrate Shelly Laurenston's Pride series. Shelly Laurenston writes funny, bawdy, "suspend reality and just enjoy" books. They need a skilled narrator to pull them off.

Then in a stroke of sheer stupidity, they mechanically sped up the entire narration! Did they think putting Ms Parker on fast forward would fool dedicated audiobook listeners
Laurenston 26 99 Oct 27, 2014 12:29PM
Who's Your Author?: April BOM: The Mane Event 11 35 Apr 07, 2014 06:31PM
Shelly Laurenston's Pride Series 26 192 Nov 05, 2013 10:28AM
What't real and what not 1 32 Oct 31, 2013 08:59PM
  • About a Dragon (Dragon Kin, #2)
  • Steel Beauty (Halle Pumas, #4; Poconos Pack, #0.5)
  • A Certain Wolfish Charm (Westfield Wolves, #1)
  • Enforcer (Cascadia Wolves, #1)
  • Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)
  • Swan and the Bear (Furry United Coalition, #2)
  • Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (includes: The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3)
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
  • Wolf Games (Granite Lake Wolves, #3)
Originally from Long Island, New York, Shelly Laurenston has resigned herself to West Coast living which involves healthy food, mostly sunny days, and lots of guys not wearing shirts when they really should be. Shelly Laurenston is also The New York Times Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, creator of the Dragon Kin series. For more info on G.A.'s dangerously and arrogantly sexy dragons, check out her ...more
More about Shelly Laurenston...

Pride (10 books)
  • The Beast in Him (Pride, #2)
  • The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3)
  • The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)
  • Bear Meets Girl (Pride, #7)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Bite Me (Pride, #9)
  • Shelly Laurenston Bundle: The Beast in Him, The Mane Event, Big Bad Beast, Bear Meets Girl

“You admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof. Did you learn nothing in Boot Camp?"
(Mace to Smitty)”
132 likes
“I'd rather have rabies than be in love."
"Why?"
"Because at least you can get over rabies with some shots.”
72 likes