Start by marking “Everneath (Everneath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Everneath (Everneath, #1)

Everneath (Everneath #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  34,893 Ratings  ·  4,086 Reviews
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exis ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Everneath, please sign up.

Mockingjay1407
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Isabel There are 370 pages inside the book. :)
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
4th out of 1,017 books — 6,364 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Selection by Kiera Cass
Amazing YA Covers of 2012
3rd out of 737 books — 2,390 voters

More lists with this book...

Navessa

This MC, Nikki, is the most emo fucking chick I’ve ever come across in literature. SHE’S WORSE THAN BELLA SWAN. The boy she was dating dumps her so instead of your normal level of teenage angst she decides to let a fucking stranger drag her into the underworld so he can drain her of her life essence because she doesn’t want to feel things anymore.

A hundred years later (six months our time) and they wake up. But instead of not knowing who she is anymore, she remembers. She’s a super speshul snowf
Steph Sinclair

Sometime after this review was written Kat Kennedy and I traveled down the River Styx to interview Brodi Ashton. Check out the interview here!

Right after I finished Everneath I gave it 4 stars right off the bat. It was an easy read with a great story and fantastical characters. Why didn't I give it five stars? I had to to think on that. So, I spent an entire week trying to figure out what it was about Everneath that I disliked. Conclusion:

It's true, folks. I don't have any negative things to sa
Brodi Ashton
Sep 21, 2011 Brodi Ashton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves:
Yep. I totally just gave my own book five stars. :)
Soumi
Then: Once there was a Girl named Persephone who was abducted by Lord of underworld Hades

description

Now: There is a girl named Nikki, abducted by Cole to Everneath, sounds same???? Ohh wait there is twist of third guy. I love twists a lot.
Then: Once there was a pair of lovers, Orpheus and Eurydice. When Eurydice was poisoned and died, Orpheus didn’t give up hope, he made an impossible journey to underworld to bring Eurydice back. He was almost succeeded but one small mistake of looking back took Eurydice b
Kat Kennedy
*This ARC was provided to me by HarperCollins. No money or favours were exchanged for this review - much to my chagrin!

November Madness is what I nicknamed this month. With a variety of very interesting looking titles becoming available for galley grab, to many readers, it appeared to be a smorgasbord of literary delights.

Everneath is one such of these delights and, in my opinion, completely deserves the hype.

Becks, a seventeen year old girl, wakes up from a hundred year-long hibernation with ba
Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, young-adult, 2011, arc

Whilst reading this I happened to glance over at my mirror and see the expression on my face - my mouth was open, my eyes were wide... needless to say, I looked like a complete moron. But that should give you some indication of how much this story surprised me. I confess that I didn't expect to like it that much and it's obviously time I stop making these predictions when I'm nearly always wrong. I should also stop trying to work out what certain things appeal to me in books, these theories als
Giselle
Jan 10, 2012 Giselle rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
Hades and Persephone, we've all heard the story. Of all the myths, this is easily my favorite. When I saw that Everneath was a retelling of this heartbreaking tale, I was instantly attracted to it. However, I was mistaken. This is not a Persephone and Hades retelling per se, but a modernized, completely original story that is loosely based on the myths of Persephone and Eurydice. It was beautiful!

First and foremost, the character that breathes powerfully throughout this book, is the emotion. It
Wendy Darling
I wish the whole book contained what its last 10% did. Review to come.
Annalisa
Feb 20, 2012 Annalisa rated it it was ok
Recommended to Annalisa by: Crystalyn

I really wanted to love this one. I had high hopes for it, but it didn't quite live up to its hype. Most of the book felt like a stall to get to the climax, which is probably why I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief. I found myself out of the story most of the time, picking apart its inconsistencies, instead of pulled into Nikki's story. Little things like Nikki sitting at her desk and then several pages later getting up off or bed or Jack stacking chairs but then he's turning them ove
Limonessa
Dec 01, 2011 Limonessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, fantasy, arc, swoooooon
So something good DOES come along sometimes in paranormal YA.

I am very pleasantly surprised by Brodi Ashton's debut novel, Everneath, loosely based on a sort of mix between the myths of Hades/Persephone and Orpheus/Eurydice.

Nikki Beckett has been sleeping a hundred years in the Everneath, a limbo between Earth and Hell, where the Everlivings have found a way to be immortal. She is a Forfeit, emotional "food" for Cole, the Everliving she decided to follow in the underworld.
Strangely, she wakes u
Jillian -always aspiring-
Nov 26, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of books like Nevermore, Unearthly, and other trend-defying young adult paranormal novels
History books call it the Underworld. Or even hell. But I know it's neither. It is really called the Everneath, and it's not a place for the dead. It's a place for the Everliving– beings who have discovered the secret to eternal life. It's a place for their Forfeits– the humans who give up everything to nourish the Everliving. It's the world caught between this one and the next, a layer between Earth and hell. I know because I was a Forfeit. I would give anything to change this.

The myth of Hades
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jan 23, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Hourglass Door, or even those who wanted more out of Existence
Needs More Mythology

I figured that was going to be my review opener until I hit the last portion of the book. The connection between the realm of the gods and our world wasn't made clear upfront, but wouldn't you know...the author had to sneak some of it in on us at the last minute.
Buried alive...

Nikki (Becks) is back in town after a long period of time away. 100 years underground, to be exact. Yet, in everyone else's perspective, they think she's only been gone a matter of months. Whe
Vinaya
"That night, when I left the dorm, I could have gone home and shut myself in my room. I could've faced you and yelled at you. But I didn't. I took the easy way out. I begged for the easy way out. Cole took the pain away and I didn't care that it would ruin everything in my life, because I was stupid enough to think I had nothing else to lose."

I admit I'm a fairly preachy reviewer, in general. I like to lecture my authors on how to send the 'right' messages, and how to avoid being paranormal clic
~Tina~
I really really wanted to like Everneath but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to love this one.

This book really makes you work at trying to figure out what the hell is going on. It's very evasively written. Leaving you hanging on a lot of questions from the very first page...on. It would hook me one minute then lose me the next.

The story-line was intriging enough. I really loved the mythology that Ashton brought into this and her writing is very good, but I wish the flow of the story mov
Blythe
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

Everneath is one of those books that seems to be followed by hype everywhere it goes, and, for the most part, understandably so. Everneath is an overall compelling, captivating, and at times heartbreaking read, truly worthy of the hype it has undoubtedly gotten.

But just because I see where the hype is coming from concerning Everneath doesn't necessarily mean I'm taking part in it.

Conceptually, Everneath is practically flawless; a loose retelling of the myths of Persepho
Ariana

There might be times in your life when you feel that you’ve hit the very bottom and that you can’t take it anymore.
Try to imagine for a moment that you have lost everything you care about. That someone would tell you that it’s in his power to take all your pain away.. What would you do? Would you take the chance?

You might say “no”, you might say “maybe” or even you might agree..
But what if it is not only the pain that it’s taken away from you, what if you’re fading away with every memory, with
♥Rachel♥
Nov 24, 2011 ♥Rachel♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
I couldn’t stop thinking about this book after I was done reading it. It was haunting, and heart-breaking….and I loved it.

Seventeen-year old Nikki Bennett, Becks, has been gone for six months in the Everneath, a place where Everlivings, immortal beings, feed off the emotions of humans to survive. Nikki has come home to say a proper good-bye to her family and friends, most of all a proper good-bye to Jack, the love of her life. Nikki has six months on the surface before the Everneath claims her f
Tatiana
Feb 12, 2012 Tatiana marked it as abandoned
Great concept, boring and flat execution.
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Jul 29, 2015 Rachel (APCB Reviews) rated it really liked it
Summary of Review Below: Fan-freaking-tastic!!

Nikki was drawn to the Everneath by Cole. When Nikki was in the Everneath the only memories she retained were those of her boyfriend Jack. By some miraculous miracle, Nikki survives the feeding in the Everneath and returns to the Surface six months after disappearing just to see Jack again. Nikki tries to put back together the pieces of her shattered life and make her final goodbyes before the Tunnels capture her for good.

This gif sums up my feeling
Megan
Apr 07, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
Everneath has some fantastic ideas which include Greek and Egyptian mythology, comparisons between otherworldly activity and drug addiction, and a bad boy who makes no excuses about being a bad boy. Unfortunately the book simply didn't deliver. Rather than a full length novel, Everneath reads as one very (very) long introduction to a novel. Go read the synopsis for this book...... Done? Well, no need to read the book now, because that is pretty much all that happens (view spoiler) ...more
VampireNovelFan
Forced to finish this one

The cover suggests a slightly more mature theme, even within the YA genre. It can happen. I just finished reading a book where it happened. But 99% of the book is spent with her outside of this “Everneath”, resulting in a fairly uninteresting read. I read it quickly so I didn’t waste too much time on it, but I really don’t like it when covers are so deceptive.

Nikki is the central character of the story. 6 months ago she was taken to the Everneath by Cole, an immortal w
Rane
Jan 30, 2012 Rane rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper
It is easy to get a thousand prescriptions but hard to get one single remedy. -Chinese Proverb

What drew me to Everneath was the Hades and Persephone myth that was incorporated into the story. Although the true gem of the story was finding one's feet after you feel your world has been destroyed.
Nikki feels just like that, and ends up turning to the wrong person Cole. Next things she knows she’s been stuck into an underworld where immortals Feed on the emotions of those who have hit wrong bot
Colleen Houck
First of all I really want the dress on the cover. It's amazing! The myth of Persephone is one of my favorites and this was such a creative take on the story. The beginning was so compelling I just wanted to keep on reading to figure out what was going on. Loved the anchor idea!
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Everneath is a YA paranormal romance retelling of the myth of Hades and Persephone. It follows a girl names Nikki Beckett or "Becks" who has awakened suddenly in the Everneath with Cole, but she is able to pull herself out back onto earth so she can spend 6 months with her family and her ex-boyfriend Jack until she is pulled back into the Everneath

“If you're gonna leave, I wish you'd just leave. Why do you keep coming back if you're not going to stay? Because even when you're gone, you're neve
Heather
Mar 05, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Everneath proves you can’t judge a book by it's cover. By chapter 14, I was cursing myself for not adhering to my 50 page rule. I wasted a precious reading hour in the vein hope that the story before me would live up to the lovely cover. Alas, it never happens.

Judging by the cover, I was expecting and wanting Everneath to contain the following:
-a story told with a fair amount of purple prose that would hopefully not delve into corny territory
-a tormented hero with a hidden heart of gold, or a he
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
you know this cover?

looks the same isnt it? I thought when I first saw it, it was part of the series. lol
anyway, I hope its good one.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I really shoulda known better. Other reviewers did indicate it was heavy on the romance, and unless the book is explicitly a romance novel, I hate romance.

DNF at 21%.

The whole book is about the various douche-bag boys that are in Nikki's life and how everything in her life revolves around them. I mean, her mom dies, but it's not her mother's death that makes her want to get rid of her emotions. Nope, it's a boy. As for returning to Earth after her exile in the Everneath? Same boy -
Jessica
Apr 17, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Okay, so a few years back I critiqued some first pages at a writers' conference. There were a couple of stories that were fine but forgettable, some that were terrible, one that had so many made-up fantasy words that it might as well have been written in Finnish, and a cute little ten year old girl with quite a good alien abduction story. And then a lovely blonde in the corner of the room read her first pages, about a high school girl who's been missing for six months, and everyone assumes she's ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jun 17, 2013 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: So pretty
Rating: PG-13
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: OMG, so good.
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Getting a second chance to say goodbye
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Jack

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

I got this one at an audible sale and I was so completely happy with my purchase. This story had it all, drama, romance, suspense and intrigue. It was a little predictable at times. I overlooked that because I just wanted to see it all play out.

For a fu
Sandy
Dec 19, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it
I am so in love with this dress.

What a deliciously creepy tale. The feel of this book has lingered with me for days...the desperation, the ache, the tiny glimmers of hope. Read some Georgia Nicolson after this one, folks, because this is heavy stuff.

Everneath begins with one of those amazing prologues...the enigmatic kind that grabs you and makes you read a book in one sitting because it's so evocative and...different. It's been the year of the YA Greek mythology retelling, with Persephone and H
! YA Heroines !: 2016 JAN - Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton 2 6 Jan 29, 2016 08:09AM
Cole or Jack? 57 116 Sep 01, 2015 01:30PM
Cole 18 131 Jul 14, 2015 08:53PM
♥!The Young Adult...: Everneath by Brodi Ashton 15 258 Jul 10, 2015 10:57AM
Cole or Jack? 259 734 May 27, 2015 01:05AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 05, 2015 07:53AM
What's The Name o...: Book about Persephone and Hades [s] 10 83 Sep 09, 2014 05:52AM
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)
  • The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • Fated (Fated, #1)
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)
  • Slide (Slide, #1)
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)
  • Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • Touched (Sense Thieves, #1)
I write Young Adult novels. I eat cinnamon bears. I love me some Diet Coke.

My debut book EVERNEATH (the first in a trilogy) comes out Winter 2012 with Balzer and Bray (Harper Collins).

I'm represented by Michael Bourret at Dystel and Goderich Literary Management.
More about Brodi Ashton...

Everneath (3 books)
  • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
  • Evertrue (Everneath, #3)

“Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with.” 590 likes
“Remembering is easy. It's forgetting that's hard.” 485 likes