The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)

The New World (Chaos Walking 0.5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,724 ratings  ·  602 reviews
In this dramatic prequel to the award-winning Chaos Walking Trilogy, author Patrick Ness gives us a short story of Viola's journey to the New World.
Published September 27th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The New World, please sign up.

Erin I read the Knife of Never Letting Go first, then The New World, and I think it is meant to read in that order. New World is more meaningful that way.

karen
last quickie, i promise...

after this, i will stay for breakfast and all that. meet the folks.

this is a tiny story, filling in the gaps of viola's life before crash-landing in the swamp, meeting todd, and having terrible and wonderful adventures. it's kind of heartbreaking, seeing her here, and knowing what lies ahead for her, you know? it's nice to get a sense of her family dynamic before she is so roughly removed from it, but i can't help myself from wanting a whole lot more from these characte...more
Kwesi 章英狮
I read the first book of the Chaos Walking series and too bad I did not like it. When I saw the free e-book in Barnes and Noble I did not hesitate to download it because I want to read it again, give it a chance it deserves. So far, I like how Viola Eade survive before their adventure begun. It was a great mystery in the beginning of the book and this answered everything I need to know about Viola.

I did not like Will Todd and how he approach the whole journey, I don't know how he survive by hidi...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Evie
Set before the events of The Chaos Walking Trilogy, The New World is a fabulous short story that makes for a great introduction to the series. I loved Chaos Walking Trilogy. I don't think I've ever read a better YA trilogy. EVER.

Patrick Ness is a wonderful storyteller. His writing is electrifying and insanely compelling. I recommend this short story, as well as The Chaos Walking Trilogy, to not only every YA fan out there, but to everyone who enjoys great books, filled with well-drawn character...more
AH
Apr 11, 2011 AH rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Science Fiction fans
*wipes tears*

I now have Hope.

What a wonderful start to a series. Young Viola is traveling with her parents to settle a New World. Viola is not happy about her family being chosen to be the first on this world, but she is making do.

I enjoyed how the story flipped back and forth to Viola's life before the voyage and her life on board the ship.

I will definitely be looking at reading this series soon.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Viola...what a great peak into your beginning. I love knowing now why you hold hope so dear. Sad but beautiful.

The only thing I would have liked more is if this went up until the time you met Todd. I would have loved to get your first impressions of him.
Julie Covington
After reading #2.5 I am reducing the rating on this one just a little.

Most definitely not enough...but some beautiful insight regardless. Love getting some of Bradley as well. :)
Phoebe
Somehow, I missed the memo that Patrick Ness wrote a short story prequel for his Chaos Walking Trilogy. I didn't hear about it until this week, when a former co-worker mentioned that she'd picked up the books, hoping they'd continue the story about Viola's life on a generation ship. As you might know, generation ships are a subject near and dear to my heart. I'd also been somewhat frustrated by Viola's sparse characterization in The Knife of Never Letting Go (admittedly, the only Chaos Walking b...more
Lynai
May 21, 2011 Lynai rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
The New World is a quick and short read, only 23 pages, and tells about the life of Viola and her parents before they landed in New World. I have only just recently explored the dystopian-fiction genre and so the futuristic theme takes quite a while getting used to, but the simple, engaging prose makes it easier for me to adapt to the “New World scene”.

I have grown to love Viola in The Knife and reading The New World , which is told through Viola’s voice, is very refreshing. The New World begi...more
Janie Johnson
So my friend Kathryn reminded me of this series that I had actually forgotten about, and now that I got this one free, thanks to Kathryn as well, we decided to test it out and see if we will like the series. And I gotta say this was plenty enough to get me interested in the next installment, The Knife of never letting Go.

So this one is the beginning of all of it, and wow is all I can say. There was excitement from the moment I started reading it. The characters are well defined and real, and sin...more
Veronica Morfi
This was nothing like what I expecting and... I loved it! :)

The story is really great and it made me want to read the next one right away...although I don't own it.

It's the story of how Viola left her home, a space convoy, and head to the new world. With her parents, they are the first to arrive there, but nothing goes as planned!

I'm going to get the next book as soon as I can, I want to know more about this story. Also I loved the authors writing, although it's in present time which I'm never...more
Andrew
Loved it. My only criticism is that I wish it had been a little longer.
This was super, super short and really wasn't anything terribly exciting. Yes it explained a little bit more about Viola and her ship but when I say a little I really mean a little. Other than that there just wasn't a whole lot going on.

We meet Viola on her ship where she lives with other new settlers which include her parents. For some reason she's going through what is basically an adolescent tantrum stage where she hates her parents and the fact that they've been chosen to be on the scout sh...more
Erika
This short story is about Viola's trip until she landed on New World.

I didn't think it was going to be like that, it's amazing!
Although i think it would've been better if it was a little bit more extended just to see more of Viola's version of the beginning.

But it was pretty fabulous, to complement the trilogy.
Joyzi
Apr 04, 2011 Joyzi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Chaos Walking Trilogy
Recommended to Joyzi by: Rollie
I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, luuuuuuuuvvvvvit!!!!

It's so Sci-fi *dreamy eyes* just pure awesomeness...

It might be a bit weird but I really do love space ships (I'm not kidding) and this reminds me of Gundam Seed. Holy Cheesecakes, I want to read more!
Tina
Oct 03, 2010 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Chaos Walking series (duh), and people who are curious about the Chaos Walking series
Recommended to Tina by: Aaron Vincent
Original post at One More Page

When Aaron tweeted about this book novella, I squealed inside the office. No joke. I immediately called my friend Jana from her workstation, who squealed too, and once again with me, when we found out it was free. This book was one of the reasons we disrupted the peace and quiet at the office that Friday afternoon.

It's no secret that I loved Patrick Ness' The Knife of Never Letting Go, and I was really looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy, es...more
Rose
Dramatic prequel to "The Knife of Letting Go" and the collective "Chaos Walking" Trilogy. This was my introduction to Patrick Ness some time ago when I downloaded this for free as an Amazon Kindle purchase. This short story tells of how Viola, one of the main characters in the Trilogy, arrives to the new world for the very first time, and the range of emotions and experiences she goes through during that time. It's quite sad, and I certainly felt for Viola's character even more when reading this...more
Liana
Can I just die now

When I first opened The Knife of Never Letting Go I didn't know what to expect. When I opened Ask and Answer I was ready for some awesome epicness. When I opened Monsters of Men I expected so much that I was so shocked Patrick Ness managed to exceed my expectations by so, so, much.

Because he's effing amazing.

And when I found out there's a prequel to this gorgeously written story, I just had to read it. And yes, I found this short story online.

It's basically Viola's POV this w...more
Steph
It's nice to know that Patrick Ness can make me weepy-faced from just reading a novella that is a prequel to a book series I haven't even read yet. After reading A Monster Calls I'm not exactly surprised though.

I'm already in the middle of three books and now I feel like I have to start this series immediately because I need to know what happens to Viola. I knew I was in trouble the moment I started needing to know more of a character's story.

This is a free ebook on Amazon if you're interested...more
Campbell
Jul 25, 2014 Campbell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chaos Walking addicts everywhere.
Recommended to Campbell by: Cissi "Invisible but Invincible"
Beautiful.
Short, but very, very beautiful.
Viola's doubt and denial of the existence of such a simple thing, an aspect, that everybody else on the ship worships. She can't stand hearing the word everywhere, because she's frightened of it.
Hope.
Because what if the new world isn't what everyone thinks it will be?

A brilliant short story serving as the prequel to Patrick Ness' amazing trilogy, Chaos Walking. Telling us what hope is, why it is. Why we need it.
Viola's journey to New World, before she m...more
Kate
Like the rest of the Chaos Walking trilogy, this short prequel was gripping. Told from Viola's point of view, we get to see glimpses of her life aboard the Beta, before leaving with just her parents to scout out a landing on the new planet. Though the story ends just before we would meet Todd, we do get to meet Bradley (who appears in the third book). This free ebook download had enough meat to it, while still being under 24 pages. I'd highly recommend this for fans of the Chaos Walking series.
Jon
That's one hell of a short story! Ladies and gentlemen, this is how you write a fantastic short story in just 24 pages. Patrick Ness is a literary god, I just had to say it! Ness's books always manage to carry an emotional punch and The New World is no different. Even though I knew how everything was going to pan out, I still couldn't stop turning the pages. Why did I wait so long to read this one? I need, need to read More Than This and The Crane Wife!
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Although short, Patrick Ness was able to deliver a cornucopia of emotions in thus short story. A great short story about Viola and it is as if Ness knew me personally or something, he was able to get the setting exactly the way I imagined it. Bravo and hats-off again to one of my favourite author.
Anila
dkslfj: WHERE DID THIS COME FROOOOM?
SO.
MUCH.
WAAAAANT.

Woot woot, Patrick Ness, I love you for providing this PDF free. 'Twas lovely, and and a nice break from my bio homework. Thanks!
Kezia *Mrs Dean Winchester*
yet again, Patrick is able to WOW me. i just absolutely love him. he is my fav author EVER!!!!!!
Melissa
‘Is it because hope is scary?’ my father asked.
I looked back at him, startled. ‘You think so, too?’
He smiled, full of love. ‘Hope is terrifying, Viola,’ he
said. ‘No one wants to admit it, but it is.’
I feel my eyes go wet again. ‘Then how can you stand
it? How can you bear even thinking it? It feels so dangerous,
like you’ll be punished for even thinking you deserved it.’
He touched my arm, just lightly. ‘Because, Viola, life
is so much more terrifying without it.’

Wow. This was pretty goo...more
Lady Knight
If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a PDF version from: http://www.booktrust.org.uk/show/feat... .

While technically this is a prequel novella of sorts to The Knife of Never Letting Go, it is almost more for those of us who have already read the entire Chaos Walking Trilogy. It tells the story of Viola's arrival on New World, including life in space, the journey to the planet, her parents' deaths and, most importantly for those of us who have finished Monsters of Men how Bradley fit into...more
Lola
An interesting prequel. It gave me a whole different idea of where this series is about than from reading the blurb of the first book and now I am wonderign whether this prequel is meant to be read before the first book or not. Well nothing I can do about now.

We get a short overview of what the world is, what the past is and at the end we still have no clue what's going to happen. It did picked my interest and I am looking forward to reading the first book. Although there was one thing that got...more
Becky
Ok, Ok, I know I said I was only reading horror this month, but truly, I couldn't pass this up. I've wanted to read something, anything, by Patrick Ness for AAAAAGGGGEEEEESSSS. I keep hearing such amaztastic things about him and his books and, and... well, on my new BFF site, Audible, I downloaded A Monster Calls (which DOES count as horror, methinks) and then I saw this... FREEEEEE! Too good to pass up. So I didn't.

I guess I could have waited until Tuesday to listen to it, but I'm a rebel. The...more
Are there any other editions of this book? 3 35 Mar 06, 2011 01:41AM
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • First Night Memories (Benny Imura, #0.5)
  • Tortured (Birthmarked, #1.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The First (The Returned, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
  • 11:15 The Making of a Halfling (Halflings, #0.5)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co...more
More about Patrick Ness...
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) A Monster Calls The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) More Than This

“No one ever seems to wonder what happens if it turns out we hate living on a planet? What if the sky’s too big? What if the air stinks? What if we go hungry?’
‘And what if the air tastes of honey? What if there’s so much food we all get too fat? What if the sky is so beautiful we don’t get any work done because we’re all looking at it too much?”
9 likes
“The ability to make fire
at will. It allowed us light to see in the darkness, warmth
against the cold, a tool to cook our food.’ He gestured
vaguely in the direction of the Delta’s engines. ‘Fire is what
eventually led to travel across the black beyond, the ability to
start a new life on a New World.”
6 likes