Start by marking “Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art

Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
With 125 photos and illustrations, this book examines the myths, sacred rituals, and hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt. Demystifying an ancient world, a noted Egyptologist provides a thorough historical context, and analyzes the lost art of mummification. The author of Ancient Egyptian Magic, Brier here offers descriptions of the known royal mummies, and much more.
Published September 1st 1994 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Mummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Mummies

Ria
Apr 30, 2013 Ria rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough how much i enjoyed this book, it had EVERYTHING, Egyptian history, the mummification process, illustrations, pictures, even a chapter at the end illustrating how mummies and Egyptian history has influenced literature in the field, movies.
I have read lots of books on Egypt and associated subjects to do with that period of history but i learnt a lot from this that hasn't been dealt with in other books, all the information is told in an informal, easy to read style but the text i
Jessi
Jul 13, 2012 Jessi rated it really liked it
Brilliantly readable and deeply informative, Egyptian Mummies is a fascinating look into the history and process of Egyptian mummification. Brier uses the historical record created by ancient papyri and information gathered from paleopathology and archeological documents as a reference to re-create the process of mummification at its highest point. Although I was mislead slightly by the prologue - I had hoped for more discussion of his own research and experimentation - the book was a wonderful ...more
Jenny
Aug 05, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would have been better if Brier had delved further into the actual techniques of mummification and the methods used for modern embalming. Perhaps some pictures of the tools used would have enhanced the book. I would have liked to have read more about paleopathology. I was absolutely enthralled by how so many Egyptians died from tooth decay due to sand getting into their food. Nonetheless, considering I FINALLY read this book 16 years after it was published, Brier did an excellent job c ...more
John
Aug 21, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1history, box19
really enjoyed this book even though its not my perferred period of history
RunRachelRun
Dec 17, 2008 RunRachelRun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband Steverino got this for me for my birthday or maybe it was a romantic Valentine's Gift (you can never go wrong with diamonds or a good book) because he knows my obsession with mummies. It all started in Portugal in some museum in which I being a child, turned around and looked into a glass case, and staring back at me with withered eye sockets, was... the mummy of a child. Well, that just cracked it. I've been scared and fascinated by mummies my whole darn life.
Russell Hall
Jul 18, 2011 Russell Hall rated it really liked it
A good summary of Egyptian Mummies. Many things have since been discovered such as Hatchepsut's Mummy, and the children of King Tutankhamun have been rediscovered and in a pitiful condition. I did see the Nat Geo special and it was good to have the background information from this book. Not too gory or horror seeking, but good science and research. I also liked the chapter on Mummy media and literature at the end. It serves as an enhanced bibliography.
Krystal Hammond
I read this book for the first time a long time ago, and at that time I was very, very interested in mummies and knew a lot about them already. This book basically rehashed everything I already knew, and the part I was most interested in--the mummy that Brier actually made--wasn't given much "airtime." So, for me, this wasn't the greatest book. However, as a basic source of info on Egyptian mummies, it's pretty good.
Megan
Oct 24, 2007 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Oh, Bob, how I love thee. If you have seen any of his TV series, you know he is a nerdy little guy but he knows his stuff and the book is absolutely fascinating. It even had me (briefly) consider studying the topic in grad school.
Millie Mae
Millie Mae marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Michelle Savahl
Michelle Savahl marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Jamie Ashworth
Jamie Ashworth marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
JuniperScythe
JuniperScythe marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Rebecca Cunningham
Rebecca Cunningham marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Brett Nachtigal
Brett Nachtigal marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Ogechi Ibeanusi
Ogechi Ibeanusi marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Jawaher
Jawaher marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Faisalna Faisalna
Faisalna Faisalna rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Terri Middagh
Terri Middagh marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Zaha
Zaha marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Leah Taylor
Leah Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Iida
Iida marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Daughters of Isis: Women of Ancient Egypt
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Search for Nefertiti: The True Story of an Amazing Discovery
  • Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Ancient Egypt
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Egyptian Art
  • Awakening Osiris: The Egyptian Book of the Dead
  • History Without the Boring Bits
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Written in Bones: How Human Remains Unlock the Secrets of the Dead
  • Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art
  • Egyptian Mythology
Robert Brier (born December 13, 1943), also known as Mr. Mummy, is an American Egyptologist specializing in paleopathology. A Senior Research Fellow at Long Island University/LIU Post, he has researched and published on mummies and the mummification process and has appeared in many Discovery Civilization documentaries, primarily on ancient Egypt.
Born and raised in The Bronx, New York, Brier earned