Start by marking “Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art

Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  8 reviews
With 125 photos and illustrations, this book examines the myths, sacred rituals, and hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt. Demystifying an ancient world, a noted Egyptologist provides a thorough historical context, and analyzes the lost art of mummification. The author of Ancient Egyptian Magic, Brier here offers descriptions of the known royal mummies, and much more.
Published September 1st 1994 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Mummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Mummies

Ria
I can't say enough how much i enjoyed this book, it had EVERYTHING, Egyptian history, the mummification process, illustrations, pictures, even a chapter at the end illustrating how mummies and Egyptian history has influenced literature in the field, movies.
I have read lots of books on Egypt and associated subjects to do with that period of history but i learnt a lot from this that hasn't been dealt with in other books, all the information is told in an informal, easy to read style but the text i
Jessi
Brilliantly readable and deeply informative, Egyptian Mummies is a fascinating look into the history and process of Egyptian mummification. Brier uses the historical record created by ancient papyri and information gathered from paleopathology and archeological documents as a reference to re-create the process of mummification at its highest point. Although I was mislead slightly by the prologue - I had hoped for more discussion of his own research and experimentation - the book was a wonderful ...more
Jenny
This book would have been better if Brier had delved further into the actual techniques of mummification and the methods used for modern embalming. Perhaps some pictures of the tools used would have enhanced the book. I would have liked to have read more about paleopathology. I was absolutely enthralled by how so many Egyptians died from tooth decay due to sand getting into their food. Nonetheless, considering I FINALLY read this book 16 years after it was published, Brier did an excellent job c ...more
John
really enjoyed this book even though its not my perferred period of history
RunRachelRun
My husband Steverino got this for me for my birthday or maybe it was a romantic Valentine's Gift (you can never go wrong with diamonds or a good book) because he knows my obsession with mummies. It all started in Portugal in some museum in which I being a child, turned around and looked into a glass case, and staring back at me with withered eye sockets, was... the mummy of a child. Well, that just cracked it. I've been scared and fascinated by mummies my whole darn life.
Russamun82
A good summary of Egyptian Mummies. Many things have since been discovered such as Hatchepsut's Mummy, and the children of King Tutankhamun have been rediscovered and in a pitiful condition. I did see the Nat Geo special and it was good to have the background information from this book. Not too gory or horror seeking, but good science and research. I also liked the chapter on Mummy media and literature at the end. It serves as an enhanced bibliography.
Krystal Hammond
I read this book for the first time a long time ago, and at that time I was very, very interested in mummies and knew a lot about them already. This book basically rehashed everything I already knew, and the part I was most interested in--the mummy that Brier actually made--wasn't given much "airtime." So, for me, this wasn't the greatest book. However, as a basic source of info on Egyptian mummies, it's pretty good.
Megan
Oct 24, 2007 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Oh, Bob, how I love thee. If you have seen any of his TV series, you know he is a nerdy little guy but he knows his stuff and the book is absolutely fascinating. It even had me (briefly) consider studying the topic in grad school.
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Asmaa Eltawil
Asmaa Eltawil marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Zoe Wong
Zoe Wong marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Alaina
Alaina marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sarah Villaluz
Sarah Villaluz marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Avital
Avital marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Hass Pop
Hass Pop marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Mary Rajotte
Mary Rajotte is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Tamara Perez
Tamara Perez marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Rick Davis
Rick Davis marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Liliana
Liliana marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Kaushiki Chatterjee
Kaushiki Chatterjee marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Robert Brier (born December 13, 1943), also known as Mr. Mummy, is an American Egyptologist specializing in paleopathology. A Senior Research Fellow at Long Island University/LIU Post, he has researched and published on mummies and the mummification process and has appeared in many Discovery Civilization documentaries, primarily on ancient Egypt.
Born and raised in The Bronx, New York, Brier earned
More about Bob Brier...
The Murder of Tutankhamen The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350) The Secret of the Great Pyramid: How One Man's Obsession Led to the Solution of Ancient Egypt's Greatest Mystery Egyptomania: Our Three Thousand Year Obsession with the Land of the Pharaohs Ancient Egyptian Magic