3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  112 reviews
A charming debut novel about a lifestyle maven who learns that living simply isn't simple. Deidre McIntosh became famous teaching women to live simply, and simply live-ironic for a woman who thrives on the chaos of a television career, and shares a home with her best friend, the one man she can count on-who happens to be gay. But when her Seattle cooking-and-lifestyle show...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2007)

Melissa
such a wonderful and easy read! The characters were fun and interesting, detail a plenty, and to top it all off the yummy recipes made by the main character are included in the back of the book!(which I cant wait to try). I was sad to finish it and will be looking out for Mia King's newest addition. I would love if she continued with a sequel to this novel developing more on Deidres future show and growing relationship.
Heather
This book was so much fun. I loved it. It was a very easy read that kept my attention from the beginning.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a quick book. I'll spare the full review, as I feel the description here on goodreads pretty much sums it all up. Enjoy!
Gaby
Synopsis:
At 40, single and the host of Live Simple and Seattle's Martha Stewart, Deidre McIntosh is living the good life - until she's not. Suddenly, as a younger, thinner, and blonder and wealthier Marla launches a competing show Deirdre's life comes apart. Deirdre's show is cancelled. And as she's mourning with a pint of icecream, she's evicted from her beautiful apartment.

It's a stroke of luck leads her to meet Kevin. After a chance encounter, he offers her the use of his cabin by Lake Wish....more
Caitlin Constantine
The story itself was generic chick lit, complete with the super-convenient rich dude who likes the abrasive protagonist for some reason I cannot really ascertain, but gets involved anyway and saves the day. BUT! I liked the book anyway, and I'll tell you why - because FOOD plays a major role in it. The protagonist is a bit of a local Martha Stewart type television celebrity, and she spends much of the book cooking these fabulous desserts and putting together tremendous feasts. I was literally sa...more
Shannon
A nice, light read. The protagonist, Dierdre, is a 40-year-old host of a local television program in Seattle. When her show is canceled and her roommate moves out with his boyfriend, Dierdre finds herself without a job and a home. Through a chance meeting, she's offered a place to stay in a tiny town on the eastern border of Washington and, as a result, finds her way back to success.

This book was sweet, though the protagonist was annoying. Seriously, she's 40 years old but she spends all her mon...more
Stephanie
If you asked Deidre McIntosh what she loves most about her life, she'd probably say the chaos. Life is good and full of action and purpose, but unfortunately that all changes in a matter of days.

When the network drops her Martha Stewart-esque show, "Live Simple", Deidre must learn to cope with the lost of the job that she loved.

As if it couldn't get worse, Deidre's roommate and gay BFF also decides to drop a bomb on her by letting her know that he's fallen out - effective immediately. How do you...more
Devon
Good things come to those who wait...and for Deidre McIntosh this is a motto to be remembered. When she suddenly finds everything in her life going horribly and inexplicably wrong. Her long running TV show has been canceled, her gay roommate finds love and is moving on and her romantic life is nonexistent, on a whim decides to pack it all in and take her own advice to "live simply". Due to the kind heart of an extremely handsome virtual stranger, Kevin Johnson, she finds herself in the tiny town...more
Patty
By
Mia King

I have been totally immersed in a book world of Angels and Vampires and Immortals and Werewolves. And…when I wasn’t reading tons of YA Fantasy I was reading lots of women’s fiction that contained tons of family dysfunction and lots of sadness. I really love both of these genres…they are intense and relaxing and enjoyable to me.

However…just a few days ago I became aware of a delightful author named Mia King. I read one of her books…Good Things…and totally loved it. It is r...more
Colette
After reading this book, I can understand why everyone wanted to read Table Manners. I can't say too many times how I loved this book. I picked it and told myself "I'll just read chapter one to see what it's about" I was reading another book at the time, and didn't want to start a new one. However, once I started this book, I couldn't put it down! I loved how this wasn't just a romance. It was a book about friendships, following your dream, not giving up and taking risks. I also liked how Deidre...more
Jenn O'Brien
This book (and two others by the same author) has been sitting on my Library Books To Read pile for a while now … make that a LONG while. It kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile for other books that were due back sooner or could not be renewed. Finally, it made it to the top of the pile and I am so happy it did because I really enjoyed it.

I really liked the characters, especially the people in the small village of Point. Like all good friendships, I liked forming a bond with the main ch...more
Kricket
i needed something light (literally & figuratively) to read on the beach. hardcover margaret atwood was too heavy to hold up on a chaise lounge and i didn't want to get it sandy. so the day before i left on vacation i went into the library's romance section and browsed.

which was weird! i'm always reading reviews and either putting things on hold or making a beeline to a book on a shelf.

anyway, my browsing skills aren't great because this book was pretty dumb. a martha stewart type loses her...more
Mikkee
This book's cover was what pulled me in, and then reading the jacket description, I was even more intrigued. However, I feel like what the book said it was about and what it actually was about were two very different things. The cover talked about finding the delights of a more simple life, but the book was really just another formulaic romance. Bad things happen to main character, main character goes off to pout, enter handsome, sensitive man, misunderstanding, reunion and happily ever after. S...more
Leah (packfan20)
Jen
Oct 07, 2007 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of chick lit
Good Things is a fun, quick read that's perfect for lingering in bed on the weekend. The story is upbeat - enjoy life, being sure to appreciate simple things like a great scone, a picturesque lake, small-town life (or sex, for that matter), and good things will come to you. (The author, Mia King, is a Big Island author, so I'm sure her outlook has been reinforced by the simple pleasures here in Hawaii!)

The book is peppered with mouth-watering foodie references, and there are even recipes include...more
Deb Mj
Total fluff. But you know, sometimes you just to have to read mindless chick lit. I'd give it a 2.5.
Mari

I bought this book because it was selected by my Book Club. The reviews were also all very positive.
I was disappointed to find this book just a light beach reading, nothing more.
The main character, Deidre is an irritating good-doer at all costs. Reading about her unpleasantly teleported me back in time to the Snow White and the other not-very-sharp Princesses.
The other characters are not developed enough and are absolutely not believable.
The only good thing in this book are the recipes at the en...more
Kelly Olexa
Really loved this book. Definitely slightly on the "chick" type of read and that's cool. This is about a woman dealing with a lot of sudden and drastic changes to her whole life, career and many of her relationships. This is a situation to which I can totally relate, and it tells her cathartic journey with humor and insight. Each chapter has a really great quote at the beginning...I found myself marking the pages to go back to the quotes. Love the style of her writing, and looking forward to mor...more
Marci
I was disappointed by this book, I kept hoping that it would get into a deeper story. Or that the main character and corresponding love story would seem at all relatable, but it just never did. The main character is shallow and self-centered while the author seems to need to make references to her "just needing to do something for herself" when the back story seems like she does nothing else. The supporting cast is all very likeable, but there are also some love scenes that could do without so m...more
Amy
I liked the writing style a lot! The main character was very likable, and the book really flowed. However, and this may just be MY thing, but I get tired of reading books where the end is so neatly wrapped up: the girl gets the super rich guy, the awesome job, etc, etc...While I am a sucker for happy endings, the too happy endings turn me off! I know that sounds strange, but it's just me! I will check out anything else this author writes, though. The style was fresh, fun, easy to get into.
Andrea
At times, "Good Things" is light, entertaining, and full of surprises. At other times, the novel is too predictable and slow-moving (i.e. the reader catches on WELL before the main character does). Sometimes the characters (particularly the heroine, Deidre) seem shallow, and sometimes they feel quirky and authentic. The strongest aspects of the book were definitely the portrait of Jacob's Point as a small town community and the descriptions of food and baking throughout--yum!
tbears
Very entertaining and easy to read first book by Mia King. Her wit and humor reminds me of books by Jeanne Ray and Elinor Lipman. The misadventures of Deidre had certainly kept her from achieving her "simple life" motto. I loved the food descriptions. Recipes from the story were included in the back of the book. I'm going to have to patiently wait for the sequel which won't be released until Sept '09. Her next book, SWEET LIFE, will be out this Sept.

Mary
Good Things has been on my TBR stack for several months. I finally decided to dust it off and give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't want to put it down after starting, but life got in the way and it took me 2.5 days to read. I found the characters likable and mostly realistic. This is Mia King's first novel and I can't wait to read her next. It was entertaining and fun - it would make a great vacation read.
Alissa
Needed something light and fluffy to read and this fit the bill. It was a bit long but when it ended I said, "Oh it's over" and while it had a nice ending, I wasn't quite prepared for it to be over.
Nothing to really distinguish it from any other chick-lit book and while I liked Deidre I wasn't really rooting for her and I didn't like the gaps in the narration time-line. I felt at times it was confusing.
Debbie
A quick, fun read...taking you out of the chaotic Seattle workplace, into a tranquil town on the border of Idaho, which is home to approximately 50 people, a very special lake and its legends. Sometimes we have to "take a break", voluntarily or not, to give our lives a chance to get back on track. Everything happens for a reason; acceptance and patience and will guide us to that revelation.
Emily
this book was a really easy and predictable read. the only reason I am writing about it for those who enjoy cooking. the story is about a failed tv personality a la martha stewart. she cooks all the time and it made me hungry, which isnt an easy task to accomplish since most foods make me queezy at the moment. decent story, good if you have nothing else to read, get it from the library.....
Angela
I'd actually give this book 2 1/2 stars. The story was interesting enough, but I honestly found myself disliking the main character. I think the author was going for spunky, but instead the character turned out pretty bitchy. This book was supposed to be about a woman simplifying her life, but i don't think her "new" life ends up any different than the chaotic life she had before.
Becky R.
Love, love, love Mia's writing style and storyline in this first book. The story of one woman's journey to remake herself, centered around her passion of cooking and creating wonderful recipes to be shared, will strike a chord in anyone wanting to follow their own passions. This is a great, fun book...and has some really great recipes in the back!
K Loh-Crouch
I liked this book, but the writer could have fleshed out the character of the heroine better. I was picturing Martha Stewart, but then she got this hottie lover and I figured she must not look like Martha. I don't know why her hot, hunky love interest was interested in her all of the sudden! But, I did like the recipes included in the book.
Bridget
Well, when you pretty much can't stand the main character in the book, it makes it hard to give a good rating. It doesnt help that I could see some plot "twists" a mile away either. Good concept for a book, but would be improved if the main character didnt alternate between having her head up her ass or whining about things in her life.
Linda
Sebenernya ceritanya ga terlalu seru, kadang cenderung membosankan, tetapi sangat menginspirasi. Banyak kutipan dan percakapan tentang kehidupan yang sangat mengena tanpa menggurui. Nice light reading, especially recommended for when you're stressing about where you are going in life :)
p.s: the recipes are mouthwatering too :)
What's The Name o...: Can't find this book!! Help please! [s] 3 49 Jan 16, 2013 06:05AM
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • The Bright Side Of Disaster
  • I'm with Stupid
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • Lovehampton
  • Love Under Cover (Jennifer Hunter, #2)
Mia King is a national bestselling author of women’s fiction. She is the author of three novels, GOOD THINGS (Berkley Books, 2007), SWEET LIFE (Berkley Books, 2008), and TABLE MANNERS (Berkley Books, 2009). Her fourth novel, FRIENDSHIP BREAD, will be published in 2011 by Ballantine Books under the name, Darien Gee. You can find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/authormiaking or on her website at...more
More about Mia King...