Start by marking “Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites” as Want to Read:
Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites

Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Subjects: Mennonites; History / General; Religion / Christianity / Mennonite; Travel / General; Travel / Essays
Published March 7th 2010 by General Books (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites

Joleen
The way this book was copied from the original and placed in Kindle doesn't allow you to see the original cover, nor any of the usual first few pages. It just goes right into chapter number one but you cant turn back any.
As I read it I was wondering when it was written, because there would be old word usage from Mennonite communities that I was unfamiliar with, and no explanation of what it meant. You get the gist of what was being said though. I liked the book. It was sweet and had a good vs ba
Karen
Very old book, free download from Kindle, I did really like a couple of the sections, one reminded me of picking blackberries at the saddle club a long, long time ago. Amanda and Martin went blackberry picking in a place that sounded similar, old fence covered with brambles and berries.
Enjoyed reading most of it, skipped the other parts.
Susan Beckman
I have always admired the Mennonites and Amish. They live a simple life, but loaded with morals.
E.
I love red headed Amanda. She grows up- 16yrs old... goes till she's 20 or 21. Yes, she gets married... I love her country life. There's not too many characters in the book. Her Aunt is an interesting one. I looked up that one flower- the moccasin? Neat flower, family of the irises? It has sword leaves.

It's free for your kindle! I love simple books like these. It's suitable for a 12- whatever. Oh, I'd read it at 10 yrs old if I saw it in the library way back then.
Susan
Interesting book depicting the lives of a small family. The children are not really raised Mennonite. These were sweet stories, kind of told from a "memory" point of view.
Karen
This is an older book, and so it may be harder to find than some I've read. It is the story of a young girl, raised in the Mennonite faith and her family. It describes the plain life, and joys as she grows into adulthood and finds love. The way of speaking and writing differs greatly from what you would normally read, but it is true to the times and Mennonite ways of speaking. I found it very enjoyable and for those wanting a book for the poolside or a quiet evening in front of the fire it will ...more
Stacie
I always enjoy stories about the Plain people, and this one was nice as well, but I found it a bit choppy at time and I struggled to place it in time. It talked about the introduction of cars, but was that to mean all cars, or simply cars in Lancaster county? A fun read overall.
Julie
A quick and easy to read novella. The plot was easy to predict, but still very enjoyable. I wish the characters had more depth, but that is often the case in novellas. Ready most of the book while waiting i. Line at the DMV. It was a nice way to spend my time.
Kristina
what a wonderful love story!
Clydie
An easy read; held my interest quite raptly from beginning to end since I read about 80% of it in one sitting. Hardest part to get used to was the dialect, otherwise, quite enjoyable!
Jenny
Sweet story about a girl who eventually finds love staring her in the face. The man she really wanted was there all along. The same with Millie, the maid in the story.
Judy
I learned more about the Mennonites, and differences from the Amish. The book was an easy read, free on my Kindle. The plot was simple, with a happy ending.
Sue
Just sweet, how I imagine my grandparents' home to have been--but with many more children, less wealth, and in a more barren Michigan.
Debbie Phelps-Hamilton
Read this book in one day. Loved the good old fashioned feeling and characters. A beautiful yet "simple" love story!
Diane
Young readers would also enjoy this book. It has a Little House on the Prarie vibe.
Carol Dawson
I enjoyed reading this book. It was so different from my usual reads.
Miste
A little tame and bland for my taste.
penny haynes
penny haynes is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Hamed Eira
Hamed Eira marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Julie Kinsey
Julie Kinsey is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2014
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Kaitlyn Wood
Kaitlyn Wood marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Witness (GLH #75)
  • Miss Billy
  • Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and Devotion
  • Moods
  • Love Finds You in Nazareth, Pennsylvania
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1905-1906
  • Home to Pebble Creek (Free Short Story) (The Pebble Creek Amish)
  • Hide and Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield, #3)
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • The Quiet Man and Other Stories
  • Sister Belles
Time of the Witches Assassin Confessions from the Principal's Chair Él entre nosotras Tulsa Burning