Start by marking “Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites” as Want to Read:
Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites

Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  255 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Subjects: Mennonites; History / General; Religion / Christianity / Mennonite; Travel / General; Travel / Essays
Published March 7th 2010 by General Books (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda - A Daughter of the Mennonites

Joleen
Jul 01, 2014 Joleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean, mennonite
The way this book was copied from the original and placed in Kindle doesn't allow you to see the original cover, nor any of the usual first few pages. It just goes right into chapter number one but you cant turn back any.
As I read it I was wondering when it was written, because there would be old word usage from Mennonite communities that I was unfamiliar with, and no explanation of what it meant. You get the gist of what was being said though. I liked the book. It was sweet and had a good vs ba
Karen
Aug 11, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very old book, free download from Kindle, I did really like a couple of the sections, one reminded me of picking blackberries at the saddle club a long, long time ago. Amanda and Martin went blackberry picking in a place that sounded similar, old fence covered with brambles and berries.
Enjoyed reading most of it, skipped the other parts.
Susan Beckman
Sep 06, 2012 Susan Beckman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
I have always admired the Mennonites and Amish. They live a simple life, but loaded with morals.
Wendy Penrod
Aug 21, 2012 Wendy Penrod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good
E.
May 26, 2014 E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love red headed Amanda. She grows up- 16yrs old... goes till she's 20 or 21. Yes, she gets married... I love her country life. There's not too many characters in the book. Her Aunt is an interesting one. I looked up that one flower- the moccasin? Neat flower, family of the irises? It has sword leaves.

It's free for your kindle! I love simple books like these. It's suitable for a 12- whatever. Oh, I'd read it at 10 yrs old if I saw it in the library way back then.
jane Hicken
Mar 18, 2015 jane Hicken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda's plight

One of the best of my beloved Amish novels! This has many a wonderful story about several. It is indeed a romance of much sweetness that occurs to several through thicketed twists. Finally love comes abounding through it all! A good recommend to all!
Susan Jenkins (Tely)
Interesting book depicting the lives of a small family. The children are not really raised Mennonite. These were sweet stories, kind of told from a "memory" point of view.
joyce calhoun
Dec 08, 2015 joyce calhoun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

I. Really enjoyed reading this book. The story line was so believable. I would recommend this book to any woman young or old.

Dawn Balsitis
Sep 29, 2015 Dawn Balsitis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fant

Loved it. was moving . I would definitely recommend this book to all my friends who like to read these Amish stories.
Karen
Sep 04, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an older book, and so it may be harder to find than some I've read. It is the story of a young girl, raised in the Mennonite faith and her family. It describes the plain life, and joys as she grows into adulthood and finds love. The way of speaking and writing differs greatly from what you would normally read, but it is true to the times and Mennonite ways of speaking. I found it very enjoyable and for those wanting a book for the poolside or a quiet evening in front of the fire it will ...more
Stacie
Mar 16, 2014 Stacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy stories about the Plain people, and this one was nice as well, but I found it a bit choppy at time and I struggled to place it in time. It talked about the introduction of cars, but was that to mean all cars, or simply cars in Lancaster county? A fun read overall.
Julie
Feb 09, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy to read novella. The plot was easy to predict, but still very enjoyable. I wish the characters had more depth, but that is often the case in novellas. Ready most of the book while waiting i. Line at the DMV. It was a nice way to spend my time.
Kristina
Jan 25, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a wonderful love story!
Clydie
Apr 09, 2011 Clydie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read; held my interest quite raptly from beginning to end since I read about 80% of it in one sitting. Hardest part to get used to was the dialect, otherwise, quite enjoyable!
Jenny
Jul 18, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story about a girl who eventually finds love staring her in the face. The man she really wanted was there all along. The same with Millie, the maid in the story.
Judy
Feb 16, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned more about the Mennonites, and differences from the Amish. The book was an easy read, free on my Kindle. The plot was simple, with a happy ending.
Sue
Jan 02, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just sweet, how I imagine my grandparents' home to have been--but with many more children, less wealth, and in a more barren Michigan.
Debbie Phelps-Hamilton
Read this book in one day. Loved the good old fashioned feeling and characters. A beautiful yet "simple" love story!
Diane
Mar 13, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young readers would also enjoy this book. It has a Little House on the Prarie vibe.
Carol Dawson
Sep 20, 2012 Carol Dawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It was so different from my usual reads.
Miste
Jul 29, 2013 Miste rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little tame and bland for my taste.
Angela O'Day
Angela O'Day marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
ReaderBabs
ReaderBabs marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Rachel Blaustein
Rachel Blaustein rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Dennis Lee
Dennis Lee is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
susan
susan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Joan St. John
Joan St. John rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Amanda Cline
Amanda Cline rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Peggy Mueller
Peggy Mueller rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Stephanie Mann
Stephanie Mann rated it it was ok
May 27, 2016
  • Tillie, a Mennonite Maid; a Story of the Pennsylvania Dutch
  • Flower Fables
  • Family Blessings (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #2)
  • The War Romance of the Salvation Army
  • Rebecca's Choice (Adams County, #3)
  • Amish Women
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • A History of the Amish
  • Hide and Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield, #3)
  • Blood and Sand
  • Amish Society
  • Arms Of Love (Amish Beginnings)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • The Riddle of Amish Culture
  • A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)