Start by marking “Where We Know: New Orleans As Home” as Want to Read:
Where We Know: New Orleans As Home

Where We Know: New Orleans As Home

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"Where We Know creates a mosaic of the ultimate mosaic city...these writers illuminate the city's past and the present in a gritty homage fit for natives and foreigners alike. Designed as though Chin Music Press/Broken Levee Books intends to singlehandedly resurrect the art of bookmaking, Where We Know is a book you'll want at your bedside and on your coffee table." —Lucia ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Broken Levee Books (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Where We Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where We Know

Teresa
Five years passed between my meeting New Orleans and my moving to New Orleans, and in those five years, we nearly lost her. Yes, she changed, but New Orleans is still the closest thing we have to New Orleans. (Eve Abrams, p. 230)

As with the first book, Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?, of this planned trilogy, this second book is a thing of beauty. And not just one of style, but of substance too. Perhaps not every piece of writing is perfect, but the whole adds up to something very
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
The Book Report: An anthology of writings, commissioned as well as previously publsihed, on the topic of New Orleans as one's homeplace, whether corporeal or spiritual.

My Review: Produced by Chin Music Press's Broken Levee imprint, you know from just that much information that this is a **gorgeous** book to look at, a deeply gruntling book to hold, and a pleasure to read. Hmmm...that pleasure to read bit? If you're not tied emotionally to New Orleans, this book will quite likely bore the socks r
Donna
Although this is Book Two of a planned trilogy, and I have not read the first one (I would like to go back and do so now,) there were no problems in reading as a stand-alone volume. Before even reading the introduction, I loved this book. The layout is fantastic and appeals aesthetically immensely- the only detriment is I would have liked the size a bit larger. Then there were the stories themselves. Generally a compilation/anthology of New Orleans five years out from Katrina, as well as photo e ...more

As I guess is wont to happen in any collection of short stories, some are great and some just fell totally flat. I also found one of the stories to be surprisingly tone-deaf in its depiction and understanding of race and poverty, and it really spoiled the emotional takeaway of the book as a whole. On the other hand, a few of the stories moved me to tears and I am now fully armed with some great quotes and anecdotes about New Orleans, and how it makes me feel to live in this city, which in the b
Maiya
I love this book as well as its prequel. Touching, informative, and very much a love letter to the city.
Deblenares Lenares
This is a collection of essays and short fiction, so some I loved, some, not so much.
I particularly loved Mark Folse's Carry Me Home (also published in his own collection of essays of the same name, http://wetbankguide.blogspot.com/2009... )

I am a Yankee who lived in New Orleans throughout my 20s, and was not there during or after Katrina. I'm not sure if the book would have the same impact for someone not connected to New Orleans in some way.

It's also important as a document of post-Katrina h
Marjanne
I liked reading this collection of essays/stories/etc. by authors who have lived in New Orleans. It definitely gave me more perspective regarding Katrina, as well as my general thoughts on New Orleans. It still sounds like such a fascinating city, though I was not particularly encouraged to live there. I liked that the collection included thoughts on why people are still living there, even with all the destruction, and why some have chosen to move even though they loved it.
Stephanie
Read in advance of a conference in New Orleans. It was informative, moving, and thought-provoking, a good primer for my visit - though I didn't make it out of the business district or the French Quarter (boo! Next time.)

Also, the book is BEAUTIFUL. Nice thick paper, interesting cover. Yum.
Melissa Ooten
A quick read that I finished in full on the plane rides back from NOLA today. Equal parts heartbreaking and inspiring. No sugar coating of complicated realities, including horrific acts of violence (in a number if ways) post Katrina.
Jessica
The stories, anecdotes, and facts in this incredibly designed paperback (the most stunning I've ever seen for a mere $16), beautifully flow with an undercurrent of force, just like the Mississippi.
Lauren
I don't usually write reviews, but here's a little lagniappe for you: read this book. (Whether you know what lagniappe means or not.) It gets it beautifully right.
Bruce
Our followup to "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?" New Orleans five years later. We're planning a third book for 2015 to complete the trilogy.
Grace
There is a lot of GREAT writing in here, it's a book that really moves you.
CA reader
Apr 08, 2011 CA reader marked it as to-read
I won a copy of this book! Looking forward to it. Thanks.
Jsix
Jsix is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2015
Quin
Quin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Rayna
Rayna marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Lisagayle
Lisagayle marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Catherine Ramey
Catherine Ramey marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Laura Giannotta
Laura Giannotta marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Lauren Bee
Lauren Bee marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Matt Tedder
Matt Tedder marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Micealaya Moses
Micealaya Moses marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
  • The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square
  • Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table
  • Why New Orleans Matters
  • 1 Dead in Attic: Post-Katrina Stories
  • Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans
  • Breach of Faith: Hurricane Katrina and the Near Death of a Great American City
  • New Orleans Noir
  • The Sound of Building Coffins
  • The Coffee Shop Chronicles of New Orleans - Part 1
  • The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast
  • Unfathomable City: A New Orleans Atlas
  • Tom Fitzmorris's Hungry Town: A Culinary History of New Orleans, the City Where Food Is Almost Everything
  • Letters from New Orleans
  • Vanishing and Other Stories
  • Shake the Devil Off: A True Story of the Murder that Rocked New Orleans
  • The Fall of Alice K.: A Novel
  • Lost River (Storyville, #4)
  • All the Presidents' Children: Triumph and Tragedy in the Lives of America's First Families
David Rutledge is a literature professor at the University of New Orleans and the co-editor of the currently sold-out post-Katrina anthology Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans (Chin Music Press, 2006). The book release party at the Saturn Bar in February of 2006 was the most remarkable evening in his 11 years in New Orleans.

In 2010, he edited a follow-up to "Do You Know" entitled Where
More about David Rutledge...
Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? The Electronics of Radio Reading Marginally: Feminism, Deconstruction and the Bible Lost Lessons 3 Lost Lessons