Start by marking “Rainsong” as Want to Read:
Rainsong

Rainsong

"A contemporary chiller romance...Whitney drums up suspense at a delightfully frantic pace. Old fans--and new ones--can dig in with total confidence."
THE KIRKUS REVIEWS
Hollis Sands has never gotten over her husband Ricky's death. She cannot believe he took his own life and wonders if it wasn't really murder. Trying to escape her memories, she seeks peace at Windtop in Cold
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Rainsong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainsong

Sandra
Aug 25, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Julie
description

Hollis Sands (who is 23) met famous pop singer Ricky Sands when she was 18 and he was 39. Ricky came to perform a concert in Berkeley, California, where she went to college. But he had a motorcycle accident and ended up in the hospital. Hollis had written a song that she thought was perfect for Ricky and she wanted him to hear it. So Hollis went inside the hospital with a demo of her song, put on a hospital gown, pretended to be a patient, and boldly snuck into Ricky's room. He eventually found
Julie
Rainsong by Phyllis A. Whitney is a 1984 Ballantine publication.

I have an enormous collection of vintage paperbacks and especially love the cover art on the Gothic Romance novels from the 60’s and 70’s. Collecting those old paperbacks introduced me to Phyllis Whitney some years back, and I have tried to locate as many of her novels as possible. I have not read all of them, but am working on incorporating these books into my reading schedule more often.

While Phyllis A. Whitney began writing nov
Tweety
That last scene! My heart was pounding so hard I could see it!

Here we have it, a half burnt out mansion, a scruffy teacher/gardener, a tall slim housekeeper with maybe too much loyalty to the house and a white haired handyman/manager. And of course, the autocratic owner of the house, Ms. Geneva. We also have a handsome, preoccupied scientist, who seems unreasonably set against Ricky Sands' music, and therefore his widow, too. Then there is someone else living in the burnt out portion of the hous
Jacqueline O.
Books are like wine, sometimes they need to sit for awhile before one reads them. One would hope it would improve the vintage - sadly this was not the case for this romantic suspense novel from 1984. It had been sitting on my shelves for awhile, and I finally took it down to read it. And it was a fast read - unfortunately that's one of the few things it had going for it.
I first discovered Phyllis A. Whitney in junior high - and I actually really liked her books, and read as many as I could find,
Allysen Mora
This book wasn't really the ideal book for me but overall it was okay. I especially liked the twists in this book, even though it is called a chiller romance I didn't expect all that. I don't want to give it all away, but the ending is probably my favorite part out of the whole book. The thing that I didn't to much care for is that it took a really long time to get to the really good parts. Another thing that I didn't care for is that I wish it would've went into detail on Ricky Sands' death a l ...more
Robin
Jul 12, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was real page turner once I got past the first few chapters. Initially I almost put it down because the Ricky Sands story and the music writing just didn't resonate with me. Then when Hollis moved to Cold Spring Harbor the story picked up with the introduction of a wide array of flawed characters, any of which could have been involved in Ricky's death. I made the mistake of going to the back of the book and reading the last few pages, I should not have done that. It spoiled some of the myst ...more
Salma
I adored Phyllis A. Whitney's mysteries for children, so I thought I'd see if her storytelling is just as magical for adults. This is a great 'cozy' mystery read, brilliant plotting, character depth, etc.

Hollis Sands is a songwriter who's lost her husband Ricky Sands, pop legend, to suicide. She's still grieving for him (not to sound callous here, but one wonders why- he didn't seem to be especially lovable, being a narcissistic, womanizing rocker and all that...but I digress). An invitation to
Cindi
Mar 01, 2010 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Every once in awhile I read a Phyllis. She was my idol when I was growing up...I read all her children's books, then worked into her adult ones. I was going to be a mystery writer just like her! Then when I got into "Literature" I kind of outgrew her...I always knew who the villain would be and figured out the surprises long before the heroine. But now and again I love to read her...she's like comfort food. She's a good storyteller, and usually her settings are as well-developed as her character ...more
Melinda
May 31, 2015 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and very creepy near the ending. What I really liked about this book is that the villain turned out to be who I wanted it to be. Not to say that is who I thought it would be, I suspected just about everyone at one time or another.
Gail Morris
Apr 11, 2015 Gail Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good story of a woman whose husband is a musician but their marriage had gone bad and she slowly finds one secret after another of his hidden life.
Robin Densmore Fuson
Phyllis did it again! She has a great talent of placing you at the scene and inside the character's mind and emotions.
BushAll&APeck
NICE MYSTERY

This rock and roll murder mystery had a strange gothic vibe that I dug.
Nancy Clarke
Very repetitive as you go through the book! Story line just so-so. Just wanted to get to the end. Characters not too interesting
Dayna Smith
Another Whitney classic, this is the story of songwriter Hollis Sands whose world collapses when her husband, legendary singer Ricky Sands, commits suicide. She flees to Long Island to stay with a family friend only to discover that even here she cannot escape the mysterious circumstances surrounding Ricky's death. As she struggles to make sense of the past, she may have found a new love for the future - but wait, is her new love involved in her ex-husband's death? The book has some mature conte ...more
Kris W
Jun 15, 2015 Kris W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Good brainless entertainment.
Diane Wachter
HB-B @ 1984, 9/99. After her singer-husband commits suicide, a songwriter escapes to a mansion on Long Island to heal, and finds herself in serious danger and cannot trust anyone around her. Okay.
Anch
Dec 25, 2013 Anch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! The way the writer wrote the story made me suspicious of almost all the character except the narrator. It was fun guessing who could be the murderer. However, it was so surprising that no one actually murdered the two victims 'literally' but someone did push them into doing themselves in. haist. Crude somehow. But loved it nonetheless.
Pr Latta
In her trademark way, Whitney creates suspense in her gothic novel without resorting to gun-toting thugs, pyrotechnics, or drawn out car chases (wellll). While I didn't find this 25+ year old novel a compulsive read, it was certainly satisfying and the window into one songwriter's life (and her singer/husband's) was a nice hook.
Joanne G.
"Contemporary" stories age poorly in comparison with period pieces. Thirty years or so seem to leave books in an awkward position; they aren't comfortably Victorian or Edwardian--they are like one's grandparents thinking they are modern and up-to-date.
Jane
Apr 23, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
I like novels like this in which the main character does the right thing, even though those around her and even those close to her do not. This book's unexpected twists kept me guessing and raised goosebumps.
Jennifer Marie
Pulling more old books from my mom's bookshelf. These were some of the first books I read on my own. I used to be addicted to Phyllis Whitney...fun rereading these books so many years later now.
Joyce
Sep 03, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This was in my collection. Has been recycled.
Singer Ricky dies leaving young wife who goes to stay on Long Island to sort things out. Rather a tangled web!
Liz
Feb 20, 2011 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery . Murder , Suicide, Love, Hate, Cheating, Elvis. this book has it all.
Michelle
I like the "hidden" characters, good plot, not as suspenseful as some
Kate
Jan 30, 2010 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-unowned, fiction
Don't be fooled by the sweet cover- this book terrified me!
Diane Philyaw
Diane Philyaw marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Robin Pitts
Robin Pitts rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Hazel
Hazel rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
  • The Landower Legacy
  • Initials Only
  • Land of Echoes (Cree Black, #2)
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...