Faithful

Faithful

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  43 reviews

"Kim Cash Tate's enjoyable novel is true to both the realities of life and the hope found through faith in Jesus. Romance meets real life with a godly heart. Hooray!"--Stasi Eldredge, best-selling author of Captivating

Cydney Sanders thought she knew God's plan for her life. She'd marry, have kids, and then snap her body back into shape by doing Tae Bo. But she's celebrati

Published September 14th 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2010)

Cindy
I wanted to like this book... and I did like parts of this book, but overall I think I would just rate this book as "okay." The main problem I had with this book is it seemed liked everything in life was puppies and rainbows once a character found God, or gave their problems to God.

Spoilers below:

A wife finds out her husband - who happens to be a Christian leader within their home church - is having an affair with another member of their church. She cries for a couple of days, gives her proble...more
Cortney
Thank you Goodreads!! I won this book on a giveaway and just started the first chapter and am already hooked!

I read this book in about 3 sittings - just needed to know what happened, and there were moments when I thought this book was predictable, but it turned out I was wrong. I found this book wrote with realistic, wholesome characters and situations laced with good fitting scripture and how God gets you through everything in your life if you believe and trust in Him.

This book took you into...more
Debi
This was an excellent novel dealing with real issues in a realistic way. It features 3 women and the struggles they face in their walk with God. One woman discovers her husband is having an affair and must deal with the fallout. Another struggles with wanting her husband to become a believer so they can have a deeper spiritual connection. The 3rd woman is single and 40, not what she had thought her life would be like. Will she remain faithful to God when temptation comes her way?
I liked that not...more
Stacia
This book is about three women who are struggling through relationships with their male significant others for different reasons. The three women share an incredibly close relationship, especially bound together in their faith in Christ.

The book covers, with sound Biblical truths, topics such as modesty, adultery, sex before marriage, and lust. And while I agree with the author wholeheartedly, the book came across as slightly cheesy and a little bit preachy. With that said, it was an enjoyable b...more
Susan
Christians know we're to trust God in all circumstances. Yet that's often harder to do than the pat sayings and cliches might suggest. Faithful is about three women in challenging situations: one has the dubious "joy" of being maid of honor in her younger sister's wedding on her own 40th birthday, yet she's still single. Where is God?

Another catches her seemingly perfect husband involved in a relationship with a member of the church worship team.

And the final member of the trio feels awful becau...more
Tamekai Mills
Wonderful story of God's faithfulness to his people, even when we are being tempted to be unfaithful. It opened my eyes to the various ways of temptation that creep into our everyday lives...a Christian should be aware of even the appearance of sin (temptation).

Great characters. Seamless plot. Can't wait to read more from this author.
Wyndy
This is the story of three Christian women who are great friends. Although it starts out with a wedding, that is only incidental to the story. Cyd is a 40-year-old single professor, Dana has a perfect marriage with a man who is dedicated to the Lord, and Phyllis is married to a man who won't have anything to do with church or with God. At the wedding Cyd meets an intreging man who, although a member of the church believes that the rules of sex only apply to those who are married; Dana discovers...more
Fylvia
This book allows the reader to meander through the lives of a handful of women–sisters and friends, some single, others married–and observe how real life and real problems can unravel faith.

Set in modern day Western culture, teeming with responsibilities to family and opportunities to be discreet, the parallel lives of these women illustrate the role of fidelity in marriage and chasitity in singlehood. Cyd is the central character who holds the plot and the all the stories together with her unwa...more
Julia
Faithful seemed more sermon than novel (in fact, about fifty pages of the novel is two of the pastor's sermons and the conversations at two small group studies discussing the sermons - then later on, a woman tells a man about Christ, and salvation is outlined in its entirety - the same thing happens during a Christmas scene when a grandmother reads a Christmas book to her granddaughter). If the message of Faithful were pressing in my life today, I probably would have enjoyed it more and given it...more
LORI CASWELL
A story of life-long friends each struggling with life changing moments that tests their faith in God.

Cydney thought she knew God's plan for her life but at 40 she realizes the path God has chosen for her may not be what she thought after all.

Dana seems to have the perfect life until she discovers her husband is having an affair and her world is rocked out of control.

Phyllis has a deep relationship with God which she passes on to her children easily but her husband is a non-believer which make...more
Veens
Cyd, Dana and Phil (shortened names) are life-long friends and believers in Christ. They have a bond that is strengthened by there deep love for each other and there unwavering faith in Christ. They pray together and goto the same church and keep no secrets from each other. Cyd, who is 40, is unmarried and is going to attend her younger sister’s marriage which is scheduled on her 40th birthday. She had thought, she would be settled and having a family by now, but her Mr. Right, has not yet come....more
Katrina Burchett
Instead of celebrating her fortieth birthday with friends and family, Cydney (Cyd) Sanders is a bridesmaid at her younger sister’s wedding. Only one person acknowledges her special day and that’s Cedric, a man she met days before. A kind gesture on his part leads to a birthday dinner, but does Cedric really care about Cyd’s birthday or does he have ulterior motives? Cyd’s best friend, Dana, is experiencing trouble in her marriage; her husband, Scott, committed adultery. Even though there is forg...more
Amancay
I was truly, honestly, blown away by this book!

While I had high hopes for a title & author I'd never heard of before... simply due to the Women of Faith endorsement, I had no idea what I was in for, but God sure did!

Drawing for true to life characters, scenarios, and sincere struggles... there is a little something here for everyone's life, heart, and need. Yet they are all so intricately woven, and none more prominent or important than the other, I'm still astounded at the beautiful balance...more
Belindachaplin
Once I got into this book by Kim Cash Tate, I couldn't put it down. The intertwined stories of the three best friends show clearly the message of not only God's faithfulness to us, but also our need to be faithful to our husbands and wives and to ourselves. Without understanding how our unfaithfulness can hurt not only each other, but also ourselves and ultimately God, we will not be able to live the way God intended. I love reading books like this one: a nice, wholesome novel, but also filled w...more
Erin
Kim Cash Tate give us a tale of three friends in "Faithful". Cyd is about to turn 40 and never imagined she'd face this day still single, much less spend it as maid of honor at her much younger sister's wedding. Dana discovers that her husband has been having an affair and her world is utterly shaken. Phyllis is a busy mother of four whose husband does not share her faith in Christ and the divide between them only seems to grow deeper each year. Each of these three will have the chance to choose...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Three life-long friends find their lives unraveling and their faith in God tested. Cyd, Phyllis and Dana are likeable women you really come to care about and root for their success. Stephanie, not so much, but she does grow up a bit at the end. I can't say I ever really liked Cedric, but he too redeems himself at the end. When Dana discovers Scott's affair, you can completely sympathize with her pain.

The theme of friendship is strong here and I think that having girlfriends is an integral part o...more
Michelle
I SO love the cover of this book. Now that I've read the story, I see the symbolism in it, and that made me appreciate the cover even more. I am glad the author was "faithful" to write this book. I believe it will touch many lives. I can see why it was chosen for Women of Faith. I hope I don't give away any spoilers in my review, but it's from my heart, so please forgive me if I do...

As far as realism goes, I found this book to be very sincere and believable. I sensed the author's heart for marr...more
Rita
Great Book! Three women are good friends through their church. Dana seems to have the perfect marriage, but then she learns that her husband is having an affair. Phyllis is married and has four beautiful children. She and Hayes have a good marriage but Phyllis would like her husband to have a deeper love of God and go to church with her. Cyd is turning 40 and has not yet found the man of her dreams. Then she meets Cedric and he doesn't seem at all like the man she is looking for. I like how this...more
Anne
I won this book on Goodreads first reads. I enjoyed this Christian romance a lot because it had real issues. Some of my religious beliefs differ, but I still liked this book. I liked how the author presented and dealt with a very sensitive subject--sexual sin and sex outside of marriage. It contests the popular cultural view of intimacy using the stories of three women as illustration. Instead of leaving me feeling uncomfortable or awkward, I finished the book and had a discussion with my husban...more
Raquel
Very real topic. Good characters
Malynda
Dec 14, 2010 Malynda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I hate to leave a book unfinished, I really do, but it looks like I’m going to have to with this book. At least for now. I’ve read 50 some pages and it still has yet to grab me. I don’t really relate to any of the characters and I find their stories a little hard to get into. I’ll most likely pick this one back up at a later time, but, right now, there are many other books calling my name.

Disclaimer: I won this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Kathy Chung
Reveiwed at : Smallkucing : Faithful By Kim Cash Tate

I like this novel as it echos with realism. Some part of what was written here had happen to my friends and family before. Scary ya? It could happen to anyone.

Overall, it's a good read. This book could be a form of inspiration and comfort for those who are going thru what these women experienced.I am looking forward to her next book.
Elaine
This was recommended by Neta Jackson. (author)

Dangerous territory. Letting our guard down. Thinking we have everything under control. Not being satisfied with what we have.

Faithful is all about relationships. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I was really ticked at Phyllis in the stuff she was pulling. I think the characters were pretty "real."

One conversion was a bit hokey. Glad to read though that all weren't magically "saved."
Melissa Miller
Thoroughly enjoyed Faithful! Loved the balance of love, hope, pain and redemption. Loved the pacing and ending, left me smiling and wanting more. Kim did an excellent job of displaying how friends should support one another and how some relationships need to end. Great story that depicts mature Christians, that mature Christians would enjoy reading. I know I did! :-)
K.gatlin
I really enjoyed this book. I actually read it out of order. It is the start of a collection of books that are connected. The author Cash-Tate did a wonderful job of realistically dealing with today's modern women, using a diverse group of friends. I loved the main character's strength to stay strong despite the way God's plan for her was different than what she imagined.
Heather
I really enjoyed reading Faithful. It reminded me a little bit of The Yada Yada Prayer Group, but I liked this one more. There were fewer characters so they were easier to keep track of, and each character was really likeable. (My favorite was Cyd.) The story was engaging, and I found myself eager to find out what would happen next.
Chrissy
I found it hard to get into this book. It starts a little slow then some drama kicks in. The story lines gets good the and keeps you interested. The end was a little disappointing though. I didn't feel like they told me enough about the characters future out come to be satisfied. I felt like I still had questions.
Shae28
I started this book at midnight and read until I finished at 5AM! I just couldn't wait to see what God was going to do in Cyd's life. I was hoping Dana and Scott would stay together, Phyllis's husband would stop running from God, and Stacy would grow up. I can not wait to read more from this author.
Amy
Cydney Sanders was like every woman I know - she had a plan for her life. Nearing forty and not on track, she is forced to admit that maybe HER plan and God's Plan were not the same.
Amazingly, the book portrays how prayer and Christian fellowship among friends should be.
Jodi
I received this book through First Reads, I really enjoyed all of the characters and the story lines. Ms Tate's writing drew me in quickly and I was up late turning pages. My mother has read this and enjoyed it as well, and now I have passed it on to a co-worker.

• Temptation
  • The Devil is a Lie
  • The Someday List
  • Have a Little Faith
  • Boaz Brown
  • Cover Girls
  • The Choice
  • Who Do I Lean On? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #3)
  • Healing Waters (Sullivan Crisp, #2)
  • Reinventing Rachel: A Novel
  • The Shelter of God's Promises
  • Holy Ghost Corner
Kim Cash Tate is the author of The Color of Hope, Hope Springs, Cherished, Faithful, Heavenly Places, and the memoir More Christian than African American. A former practicing attorney, she is also a Bible teacher and women's ministry leader at The Gate Church in St. Louis. She and her husband have two children.
More about Kim Cash Tate...
Cherished Hope Springs The Color of Hope Hidden Blessings