Start by marking “Henry and Ribsy” as Want to Read:
Henry and Ribsy

Henry and Ribsy (Henry Huggins #3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,331 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
In this humorous and heartfelt novel from Newbery Medal-winning author Beverly Cleary, the bond between a boy and his dog proves strong, as Henry vows to stick up for Ribsy…even if he is a trouble-maker!

From the first moment Henry found Ribsy, the curious mutt was poking his nose into things he shouldn't be. Whether terrorizing the garbage man, chasing cats, or gobbling Ra
Hardcover
Published March 18th 2014 by HarperCollins (first published October 18th 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Ribsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Ribsy

Skylar Burris
Apr 11, 2011 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Beverley Cleary writes about the every day, mundane life of children and somehow makes it interesting. There are no magicians, no elves, no talking animals, no magic treehouses, no princesses – just ordinary kid troubles and concerns.

I witness my children relating to these books as they listen to them, despite the generational gap, and I can relate to them now on a new level, as an adult parent looking back on myself and my exaggerated woes as a child. This time we opted for one with a male pro
F
Apr 19, 2010 F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To celebrate the author, Beverly Cleary, 94th birthday last week, I located my copy of Henry and Ribsy -- seven chapters of adventure for any age. I particularly enjoyed Ramona's demand for a P.T.A. in chapter five; Ribsy's rescue in chapter six; and Henry's catch of the Chinook in chapter seven. I had to do my research on "tin pants" and "silverside chinook". Because the book was written in 1954, Henry was delighted with his allowance being raised to 40 cents per week. Gee, how times have chang ...more
Emily Kelly
Feb 17, 2016 Emily Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry & Ribsy is a timeless realistic fiction novel. I remember reading this book when I was in 3rd grade and loving it because every year for my birthday I wished for a dog, but my mom always said it was too much of a responsibility. This book tells the story of Henry Huggins and his dog, Ribsy. This book is awesome because it teaches children the responsibility of taking care of a dog, but also touches upon the idea of working toward a reward instead of instant gratification.

Although mo
DyolF Dixon
Mar 07, 2015 DyolF Dixon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realism
Henry and Ribsy by Beverly Cleary is a book that must take place in the 70’s. The story is about a boy named Henry and his dog named Ribsy and their adventures. This story reminds me of the reading books I used in elementary school. The characters had adventures that were very minor in drama and there was no real danger. The big issue was not to get his upset with him. The dog was always being misunderstood which got the dog in trouble with the neighbors. The neighbors would tell the boy’s paren ...more
Jennifer Margulis
Oct 13, 2014 Jennifer Margulis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy oh boy does Henry Huggins ever want to go salmon fishing with his dad. Scooter, a slightly older boy in the neighborhood who is something of a bully and a braggart, has already been fishing, but Henry has never been old enough to go. Sure, he can wake up at 3:00 in the morning. But the problem is: can Henry keep his dog Ribsy out of trouble for a month? If Henry can manage to keep Ribsy from chasing the neighborhood cat, terrorizing the garbage man, and making all sorts of other mischief, Mr ...more
Richard Ward
Reading through the Henry Huggins books in order, this is the weakest of the first three, though it is still good. Beezus is the most interesting of the series' secondary characters. She's a compelling enough character, in fact, that many readers will say that Beverly Clearly should have given her at least one book of her own, if not her own series as she eventually did Ramona. Her absence from most of this book's 7 chapters definitely hurts it. After she and Henry had become practically best fr ...more
Kristine Hansen
Henry just wants to go fishing with his dad. But the deal requires him to keep Ribsy under control. That would be a whole lot easier if circumstances AROUND Ribsy didn't lend themselves to become so much chaos.

Fun to read again as an adult. My daughter loved the book so much she asked for all the other Henry books for Christmas. This is a clear win given my daughter is dyslexic and reading is a horrid chore for her most of the time. Yay for Beverly Cleary!
Christian
Apr 07, 2014 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bet this dog gets in trouble more than your dog... Henry Huggins is a normal kid living in a normal house in a normal neighborhood and everything is normal, except the fact that Henry has this dog named Ribsy, and he's far from normal. (I mean a boring dog normal) When Henry hears that his father is going salmon fishing, he wants to go to, on one condition. He has to keep Ribsy out of trouble. Good luck Henry!

Henry and Ribsy is a third-person book with the main characters, Henry and Ribsy. (Yo
ABC
Jul 10, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
Olivia
A funny, clean book for young readers, as well as old...despite it's simple writing you will be sure to enjoy this one. Henry's dad strikes a bargain with him: if he keeps Ribsy out of travel he'll take Henry on a fishing trip. Easier said than done :)
Devon Flaherty
The Henry Huggins series of books by Beverly Cleary. They are, in chronological order, Henry Huggins (1950), Henry and Beezus (1952), Henry and Ribsy (1954), Henry and the Paper Route (1957), Henry and the Clubhouse (1962), and Ribsy. The Henry Huggins series contains the Ribsy series and meshes with the Ramona series.

For our second--and the second largest--character series by Cleary, we moved from Ramona to Henry and his beloved dog, Ribsy. The first scene introduces Ribsy and he appears in all
Lily
Sep 09, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have fond memories of Ramona in this one! And such a sweet story about the classic "boy and his dog". Great job, Mrs. Cleary!
Will
Sep 30, 2014 Will rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Henry braced himself in case it hurt to have his teeth pulled. Ribsy grabbed the end of the rope, growled deep in his throat, and tugged. Henry's teeth flew out of his mouth so fast he didn't even feel them go.

Henry put his hand to his mouth and stared at his teeth lying on the grass. They had come out so easily he could scarcely believe they were gone. He poked his tongue into the right hole in his mouth and then into the left hole. They were gone, all right. 'How's that for a way to pull teet
Libby
Apr 17, 2015 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike
Dec 09, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-have, kids
These were among my absolute favorite books as a kid.
Azkamalazka
May 17, 2014 Azkamalazka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it
Irene
Feb 02, 2013 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
*** Warning: This review contains spoilers! ***

This book is aptly named. Even though Ribsy is an important supporting character in all the Henry Huggins books, in this one, he is in the spotlight. If he behaves, Henry can go on a fishing trip with his dad!

For some reason, this book was much more dramatic than any of the other Beverly Cleary books we've read so far. At one point, there is a scene in which Henry is in a bit of a pickle. He is at the playground, and a bunch of mothers gather aroun
Nathan
i think it is a good book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Gordon Elijah
Jan 11, 2011 Gordon Elijah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bekka
This was a really fun addition to the Henry Huggins books! Ribsy is a great dog, and he and Henry have all kinds of misadventures. These books are great because they're about normal kids having normal adventures - no supernatural elements or magic; no one's a super hero. The stories are charming and interesting. Although this one was written in the 1950s, its still quite relevant for kids today. I Highly Recommend this entire series!
Jaret
Dec 12, 2015 Jaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully sweet children's book written by Beverly Cleary. The whole story revolved around Henry keeping his dog, Ribsy, out of trouble so that his father would take him on a fishing trip. Ribsy, of course, does not cooperate and the escapades were fun to read about. I also enjoyed reading about one of my favorite characters, Ramona, as a troublesome toddler. A fun diversion from heavy reading!
Heather
Aug 10, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're on vacation and we had a long day of driving -- this book helped the time pass for my whole family! So charming and fun. Beverly Cleary just gets kids. We all laughed together at Ramona's antics ("I want some PTA!!!") and my boys have asked to re-listen to the Ramona chapter twice! And as I've mentioned before, Neil Patrick Harris's performance of the audiobook is so wonderful and fun.
Mary Beth
In some ways a sweet story about a young boy and his mischievous dog. There were some funny scenes and the boy and dog had a good relationship. It does feel very dated though. Henry fed his dog an awful lot of horse meat-an idea my 6year old had some trouble with. A fishing trip was the conclusion of this story and during it the fish got clubbed with a piece of wood. It was weird to read about this in a kid's book.
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, 2007
Another kids book. Henry wants to go fishing with his father, but he has to keep his dog Ribsy out of trouble so he can go. Wonderful characters and very real to life situations, just funnier. The chapter "Ramona and the P.T.A." still kills me.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Vimacone
For some reason the title of this book didn't ring a bell. I thought I hadn't looked into it. But then when reading it, the first chapter along with the plot seemed familiar, since I recall my second grade teacher narrating Henry's fishing journey.
I found the Henry books to be the most interesting of Cleary's books, because Henry's always pursuing a worthy goal, sometimes with a sense of adventure. And this one shouldn't be passed up.
Eric Summers
Set in the same "universe" as the Ramona series, Henry and Ribsy is another book of stories about a single character that are weaved together into one over-arching narrative. In this book, the focus is on Henry Huggins and his dog Ribsy as they have adventures around their neighborhood. Ramona and Beezus are in this book as well.
Hilary
Dec 08, 2015 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Unlike the Ramona books, I never read the Henry books as a child (just wasn't interested), but the magic continues. Beverly Cleary's ability to weave an engaging story while seeing things from a child's perspective, including what appears to be a total lack of sense and logic to an adult, does not fail here!
Bonnie
Oct 15, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up three Henry Huggins books at the library, just for a quick trip down memory lane, but I have so thoroughly enjoyed this reminiscence that I just might go pick up a bunch more Beverly Cleary's next time I go down to the library. They keep making me laugh out loud and I smile the whole time I'm reading.
Judy
Feb 26, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 8-12, read-aloud for kids
THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ

This was the best book about Henry Huggins so far. Ribsy, Henry's dog, has been getting in trouble lately. Henry wants to go fishing with his dad. The deal is if Henry can keep Ribsy out of trouble for several weeks, he can go fishing.

It is hard, Beezus helps Henry, but Ramona is worse than Ribsy. All the incidents are hilarious as the kids manage to keep Ribsy in line. The pace in this book is relentless.

Then comes the fishing trip with all the great descriptions of the Or
Seth
Apr 11, 2015 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: by-myself
Henry got to go up with the car when it was being washed. His father let go on a fishing trip on one condition. The condition was to keep Ribsy out of trouble. Ribsy prevented the garbage man from getting the garbage! Henry caught a chimrook with his bare hands!
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Along Came a Dog
  • Soup & Me
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Homer Price
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge #2)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Riding the Pony Express
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Henry Huggins (6 books)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • Henry and the Paper Route (Henry, #4)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)