Start by marking “Le plancher des garces” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Le plancher des garces

Day Keene

Le plancher des garces (Hard Case Crime #007)

Pulp legend Day Keene offers a harrowing tale of lust and murder--available for the first time in more than 35 years! Swede Nelson just wants to meet a nice girl and settle down--but he meets Corliss Mason instead: seductress, murderess, and maybe something worse.
Published 1967 by Editions Gallimard (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Le plancher des garces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le plancher des garces

Dan Schwent
Dec 02, 2009 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcase, cool-covers
After a career at sea, Swede Nelson comes ashore with the thought of buying a farm in Minnesota and finding a nice girl to marry. It's a shame he runs into the widow Corliss Mason, the owner of the Purple Parrot, and her web of sex, lies, and murder...

Home is the Sailor, much like fellow Hard Case entry The Vengeful Virgin, is straight out of the James M. Cain playbook. You know the plot: a guy falls for a hot young woman and commits murder for her, then starts cracking under the pressure once h
Greg
First off, I hate the title of the book. It makes no sense to me except in a grammatically tortuous way. Where is the sailor? Home is the Sailor. You mean the sailor is home? Yeah that's what I said, home is the sailor. Those who live in glass houses and are allergic to editing their reviews shouldn't throw stones though.

There wasn't anything about this novel that really stood out for me, and I have a feeling I'll forget almost everything about it in a month or so, but for a quick read it has e
Tfitoby
Sep 09, 2012 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night
Another gem from the files of Hard Case Crime.

Read on the plane from London to Doha.

The penultimate read from my trip around Europe, saved specifically for this flight, and my gosh was it worth it.

Swede Nelson is not only a great classic noir character, tough and hard-boiled with a major weakness - in this case booze - but his name is so completely perfect for noir too. Fresh from three years at sea, he has a large bankroll and a dream of a farm in rural USA. What he gets is Corliss Mason, the m
Steve
Nov 29, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the Hard Case series that I've read so far (and I've read some bad ones as well). On one hand, there's nothing new here (other than the sailor hero's ability, once ashore, to put down an ocean of booze). Drunk he may be, but the Swede continues to notice the little things, like his girlfriend's casual squishing of a bug on the car window, or the details of a murder in the newspaper. It all adds up to Set-up in the end. But it's Day Keene's attention to the little things that j ...more
Andy
Feb 03, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drunken sailors, motor inn tramps
Shelves: hard-case-crime
Nutty book about a discharged sailor who swills enough go-go juice to stun an army of elephants. The swabby falls hard for a trailer court tramp he thinks is the Venus De Milo with arms but she flirts and flops with any granite head thug that’ll beat Popeye silly for his dough. We refuse to put the book down because we can’t wait to see what beating he’ll take next and Day Keene doesn’t disappoint. The beatings and boozy blackouts keep coming. What a brilliant piece of trash. I couldn’t put the ...more
Johnny
Sep 19, 2016 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Home is the Sailor sounds very strange as a book title until you realize that it uses the rhetorical device of anastrophe (reversing the word order for emphasis). So, it essentially means, “The sailor is HOME!” That reversal of words is supposed to help us understand that this book is about a sailor in the merchant marine returning from years of service and his desire to find the ideal home. He starts out heading for his boyhood home in the Midwest, but ends up sublimating that goal (to some deg ...more
Michael Mallory
Mar 16, 2015 Michael Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Home Is the Sailor" (and for the benefit of those below who don't understand the title, it's taken from a line in a famous poem by Robert Louis Stevenson)is a virtual template for a hard-boiled crime novel. Today one might accuse it of being cliched, but it was written more than sixty years ago, when today's cliches were just getting started. The protagonist of the book is one Swen "Swede" Nelson, a career sailor who wants to retire from the sea and settle down. Unfortunately, the girl he choos ...more
Steven
If this isn't a noir masterpiece I don't know what is. I've reread Cain, Chandler, Hammett, and get over them people, they were not the only ones to write great noir. Just because they are taught in schools and Keene isn't is no reason to anoint them and not him.
The bee continued to buzz, like the drone of a dentist's drill. Corliss reached out a finger and squashed it. Against the glass. Slowly. The small plop of its body filled the car with sound.

"Anyway you're through going to the sea, Swede
Gregory
Swede Nelson is a tough guy. He's a recently retired Merchant Marine looking to take his service savings back to Hibbing, Minnesota to start a farm and find a bride. The problem for Swede is that after disembarking, he lands in a seedy California tourist court with lots of shady people looking to make use of his passion and to twist his dreams. Frankly, Swede is a monosyllabic guy who drinks too much and hits too hard when gets in to all too frequent fights. Is he a likable central character? Qu ...more
Michael
May 26, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It's true noir. The story of Swede Nelson who has saved several thousand dollars in cash and decides to give up the sea where he has spent the last 20 years. His plan is to head back home to Minnesota, buy a little farm, find a wife, and raise a family, but fate has other things in store as he meets femme fatale Corliss Mason.
As with all Noir stories, the femme fatale is the most beautiful, sexiest woman that our protagonist has ever met with the greatest sex. He will follow
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Fall guy drinks a ton of rum.
Oct 08, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the main character in this to be so stupid and unlikeable that I didn't care what happened to him.
Alex
Pulp fiction from the Hard Case Crime label, originally published in 1952. It's a quintessential 'tough guy' tale of murder and double-crossing-- what would be called film noir if it were a movie. It's so stereotypical of the genre that I would have thought it was a parody if I didn't know it was real.

...SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD...

Merchant marine Swede Nelson gets in from his hitch at sea determined to take his savings back to Minnesota and settle down with a farm and a wife, but before he gets ou
Jason Seaver
Feb 12, 2010 Jason Seaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Hard Case book that covers all the noir/pulp bases - femme fatale, hard-drinking hero, ending you can probably see coming the moment that the narrator takes a particular interest in a newspaper story. Still a fun one to read, as it's quite enjoyable to watch the poor dumb lug in the middle get played so badly. It works because there's hints that he may be capable of figuring out the situation, but may have dug himself into too deep a hole to escape.
Mark Goddard
May 24, 2016 Mark Goddard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading about Day Keene and the critic said he wrote a lot of crap. I guess a lot of those writers from the pulp era did, ya gotta pay the rent. Home Is The Sailor is not crap, in fact it is one of the better hard case crime novels I have read. This book makes me want to investigate more of Keene's stuff.
David Cain
Apr 18, 2015 David Cain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Another pulp-tastic potboiler in the Hard Case Crime series. This brief novel has it all - murder, intrigue, and double-crossing, with a healthy dose of fighting, drinking, and sex. It's a fast-paced thrill ride that I polished off in about three hours. Does not disappoint if you're looking for something fun from the 1950s.
Kenny
May 03, 2012 Kenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
The sailor is a drunk and a brawler and has a woman in every port. He goes on a bender and finds love, so he thinks. Swede, the sailor, is a well-drawn character. He is violent and always drunk, but he is also an innocent and dreams of a perfect life.

The plot is fairly straight forward; I guessed the big secret halfway through, but the characters kept my interest up. Recommended.
Victor Whitman
Dec 25, 2012 Victor Whitman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read three Keene novels before, and this fourth one was by far the best. It is a classic noir tale that I highly recommend. The writer C.J. Henderson gave me this book at a pulp fiction expo in Manhattan this October as a free gift for buying the fine collection of short stories, "Battling Boxing Stories." Loved it!
Glenn
Mar 17, 2014 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A roller coaster of a pulp yarn that pulls no punches, satisfies every cliche and never loses momentum. Day Keene's staccato sentences, steamy set-ups and sordid characters make this the most entertaining vintage crime book I've read in a long time. Sure, it's over-the-top with mood and plot twists. But that's what this genre is all about.
John
May 06, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
More of a comment than a review. I thought Day Keene's Home is the Sailor was a good book, a little predictable, but definitely representative of the noir-pulp genre. Patio-Roofdeck-Commuter readers like me will be pleased.

Some reviewers comment edthat some of the characters came across as so unlikeable that they don't engender concern. I actually found that to be a positive point.
James  W. Powell
May 14, 2014 James W. Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Perhaps not quite as violent or as sexy as similar novels from the era, HOME IS THE SAILOR reaffirms that Day Keene knew how to write a crime thriller. Swede is one hell of a drunken sailor, and Corliss is the sexy dame you know is just too much trouble despite her looks. This is another great example of crime thrillers written in the heyday of the genre.
Nov 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
A little The Postmas Always Rings Twice, a little Maltese Falcon, without the literary quality of either of the above. The plot relies a little too heavily on the protagonist's being, to put it mildly, a dumbass for my personal taste. Still, if you're a fan of the Femme Fatale, look no further. And I'm changing my favorite pickup line to, "Hello, Sailor. Lonely?"
Dominick
Jan 06, 2012 Dominick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
A good read, if you like noir. Tough but sensitive but not too bright sailor decides to leave the sea, meets a femme fatale (of course), instantly falls in love, ends up caught up in murder and intrigue. Well done, but the cover copy that claims it makes Jim Thompson or James M. Cain look tame overstates the case.
Edward Butler
Apr 23, 2010 Edward Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Five stars? Really?"

Fair enough. I grade on a curve; and this was a sterling example of its type, a trim, tasty potboiler that failed in no respect to deliver what I wanted from it, so why sell it short?
Jeff Powers
Though the character's motives are somewhat unexpected and their actions, at times, a bit unrealistic, this dark hard-boiled bit of ham-fisted action doesn't hold back. With a lightning fast pace and a short running length, it is a quick and fairly enjoyable read.
Isidore
Fast-moving 50s noir with lots of Spillane-ish sexism and an unexpectedly touching conclusion. If you think of it as a movie, you could see it as an entertaining programmer with, say, Sterling Hayden and Faith Domergue. Fun, if a little trashy.
Manosthehandsoffate
Fairly well-written noire pulp. The plot was somewhat predictable. Stands out as being fairly racy for a novel written in the 50s. I found the protagonist a bit irritating because he spent about three two thirds of the book quite drunk (which actually did contribute to the plot).
Nathan
Jan 18, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sailor has tempestuous affair with beautiful dame. Everything goes peachy until Murder is committed! What are her secrets? Elements of Double Indemnity here, and the plot twists are all too easy to spot, but a solid Hard Case Crime entry all the same. Rated M for some violence. 2.5/5
Corey
Mar 31, 2016 Corey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything a pulp novel should be: brutal, sexy and a page-turner.
Amy
Aug 26, 2016 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, rehomed
A fun, hokey type of book that is an easy, one day read. It was predictable from start to finish, but it wasn't a complete and utter waste of time.
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • Songs of Innocence (John Blake #2)
  • Blackmailer (Hard Case Crime #32)
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Lucky at Cards (Hard Case Crime #28)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Al Colby #2)
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
  • Fade to Blonde (Hard Case Crime #2)
  • Kill Now, Pay Later (Ben Gates #3)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Baby Moll (Hard Case Crime #46)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime #14)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Top of The Heap (Cool and Lamb #13)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
Day Keene, whose real name was Gunnar Hjerstedt, was one of the leading paperback mystery writers of the 1950s. Along with writing over 50 novels, he also wrote for radio, television, movies, and pulp magazines. Often his stories were set in South Florida or swamp towns in Louisiana, and included a man wrongly accused and on the run, determined to clear his name.
More about Day Keene...

Hard Case Crime (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Grifter's Game (Hard Case Crime #1)
  • Fade to Blonde (Hard Case Crime #2)
  • Top of The Heap (Cool and Lamb #13)
  • Little Girl Lost (John Blank #1)
  • Two for the Money  (Hard Case Crime #5)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye (Hard Case Crime #8)
  • 361 (Hard Case Crime #9)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Al Colby #2)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)

“I wish I was a man. A man can do so many things. He can go to sea. He can be a soldier. He can fly. He can crawl in and out of beds. He can get drunk and into messes. Then all he has to do is sober up and take a bath and no one thinks less of him".” 0 likes
“Love. A Will-o`-the-wisp. St. Elmo's fire. A biological urge. The chemical affinity of one body for another. The deep-rooted urge of the male to propagate his kind. A package of cigarettes. A Hershey bar. A ten-thousand-dollar mink coat. Five dollars.” 0 likes